TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I couldn't even begin to tell you how many quarters I had dumped into the tron game back in the 80's. The local movie theater had one in the arcade.

There was a gameworks near me up until a few months ago, and they had a tron game in there. I found myself dumping more money into it after all these years.

What about re-doing the speed cycle ride(can't remember the exact name of the old attraction) in tommarowland to the tron cycle?

Rocket Rods? That ride has been pretty much gutted years ago.

An imagineer told me that it was actually in planing stages. Which means it has a very rare chance of happening.

--Jay

^There are always literally thousands of ideas in the planning stages at Disney that never come true too.

As for ElecTRONica, I freaking LOVED Glow Fest so this slightly re-branded (and expanded!) version of it is definitely a welcome addition in my book. I like that Disney is finally putting things in the back part of Hollywood Blvd to liven things up when it usually feels so dead back there.

What about re-doing the speed cycle ride(can't remember the exact name of the old attraction) in tommarowland to the tron cycle?

Rocket Rods? That ride has been pretty much gutted years ago.

An imagineer told me that it was actually in planing stages. Which means it has a very rare chance of happening.

--Jay

That means nothing. When I worked at Disney Interactive, our studio was in the same "campus" as Imagineering. I saw lots of things "in the planning stages" for Disneyland & DCA that never made it.

*cough* Rock N Roller Coaster *cough*

--Robb "I'd say about 10% of the attractions that are in the planning stages actually get built." Alvey

This looks cool. I'm stoked for the new movie, and I have admittedly delusional hopes it will lead to a video game arcade resurgence.

The sad reality is no. You have to remember that the reason why arcades in the 80s basically existed in the first place is because that was the only venue to play those games.

I agree with Robb, and because he does know his poop, this won't bring on a resurgence, BUT "barcades" are coming on to the scene. Which is exciting if you're in a city that has one, and you're old enough to drink. (Many of the bars here are installing pinball and video game classics, and some dedicating all their free space to it!) It's an awesome new trend, that the Tron movie won't hurt. (And yes, the pub down the street from me has a Tron video game!!!)

ANYWAY, back on topic...

LOVE this idea. I'm not much of a Disney park fan, but uber-curious to see what they do. I was a huge Tron fan as a kid, and I love dance clubs.

The only successful "arcades" these days aren't strictly arcades (Dave and Busters, etc). And for the most part, it's not the Arcade games that are doing all of the business, it's the "challenge" (win tickets) games that are the most popular. At least that's what it appears to be when I'm there.

I can't remember the last time I actually went into the Starcade or had my son ask to go play a game in there.

Is the reason for the Starcade's second floor being closed off because there's no interest/no need for any more arcade games? Every time I pass through there seems to be a decent amount of people in there, but maybe not enough to justify the use of the second floor? Personally I think that and Innoventions are a huge waste of space.... But that's another discussion.

ElecTRONica does seem like a great replacement for the Glow Fest as well. Hopefully now that Disney has control over this event it will be even better! But then again Disney has control over it so it might not get as "wild" as the Glow Fest did.

I for one am pretty excited about the future of DCA. Come 2012 it should be a pretty sweet second gate if all of the main plans are actually realized. I really think that Disney is suddenly finding its stride when it comes to DCA.

Is the reason for the Starcade's second floor being closed off because there's no interest/no need for any more arcade games? Every time I pass through there seems to be a decent amount of people in there, but maybe not enough to justify the use of the second floor?

When I was there, I saw scaffolding on the second floor near the right side under the mural (didn't even think about getting a picture of it...). Maybe they're getting it ready for a reopening?

Anyway, I think that Disney should change the Starcade into Flynn's. Probably won't happen, though.

And about ElecTRONica...

*eep*

I can't be the only one who thinks TRON is going to be a huge flop?

It's a risky movie for sure, given that the first one was a theatrical flop. But...if the new movie is even half-way decent, there is a strong enough following that it could do moderately well and continue to grow the following.

Remember, even Nightmare Before Christmas was a theatrical flop as well...

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

It's true, the first Tron was a flop in the box-office, but it has since developed a VERY big following. I hesitate to call it a "Cult" following, as I think it's actually bigger than that. The advertising campaign has been really awesome, and has been one of the bigger panels and exhibits at the past two comic-cons. It's not going to flop.

I can't be the only one who thinks TRON is going to be a huge flop?

No. I'm rather dubious about its chances, myself. I'm thinking a big opening followed by a big fall the next weekend (once all the diehard Tron fans have seen it)--and this is from someone who saw it twice when it was first released, mainly for the visuals (the story--meh). The event at DCA looks like fun, though.

We shall see.