TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I'm surprised that nobody has posted this yet. This is from ThirdAge.com.

Tower of Terror: Man Falls 25 Feet in Drinking Related Accident

The Tower of Terror, a popular ride at Disney's California Adventure, was a scene of real terror for some as a man fell roughly 25 feet from a platform while waiting for the ride.

A 20-year-old man fell last night while waiting in line for The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror ride, billed by Disneyland as a haunted elevator ride through a formerly elegant hotel.

MetroNet of Anaheim, which dispatches for the Anaheim Fire Department, received a call at 10:31 p.m. Wednesday reporting that a man had fallen after climbing over a rail.

The man was treated for minor injuries at University of California, Irvine, Medical Center and released.

Disneyland released this statement:

"Last night a 20-year-old male guest fell in the queue line at the Tower of Terror attraction at Disney California Adventure. The guest was standing in line with friends on a second-floor platform when he climbed over a barrier to the area below and lost his balance and fell approximately 25 feet. The guest was transported by ambulance to the hospital."

The underage drinking event is being used to amplify Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's signing of legislation today that holds adults in California liable if youth they serve alcohol to are injured or killed.

"California becomes one of just a few states with a social host liability law that hold adults accountable for underage drinking," reads a statement from conference organizers. "Underscoring the significance, the signing comes one day after a 20-year-old who Anaheim police say had been drinking fell 25 feet from a Disney theme park ride, injuring himself."

Link

Underage drinking? When will people learn...

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/09/first-look-at-electronica/

As they say in the digital world of TRON, “Greetings, Programs!” Today, we’re sharing concept art that gives you a first look at the new party we’re calling ElecTRONica. I’m told it’s the greatest nighttime dance party to ever rock Disney California Adventure park.

Beginning October 8, the interactive, digital world of “TRON: Legacy” will light up Hollywood Pictures Backlot as we gear up for the film’s release on December 17. This will be a cool opportunity to peek inside the world of this movie, and it’s available only to visitors of Disney California Adventure park.

It’s an “electrifying” experience for the entire family, filled with music, lights and some of your favorite food and beverage, all set amidst the captivating world of “TRON: Legacy!” From a dazzling dance club under the stars to an authentic recreation of Flynn’s Arcade to some radical gaming, it’s like nowhere else on the grid! Each night, we’ll feature live entertainers, complete with lasers, glow accessories and the hottest music ever to rock the grid. ElecTRONica is “the” place to dance the night away in a fantastic world that only Disney can create. Highlights for the entire family will definitely be Flynn’s Video Arcade, face painting and the TRON: Evolution video game area.

ElecTRONica will transform Disney California Adventure park Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays this Fall. TRON fans and families can also enjoy the party seven days a week during Thanksgiving week and Christmas week.

Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog, as we’ll be sharing additional details soon, and if you want to stay up-to-date with the latest happenings on ElecTRONica, follow us on Twitter, @Disneyland.

etr018983LARGE.jpg.4ed08d58f8429718b9cc01a3fa99494e.jpg

et0198382LARGE.jpg.cd54c3820dfa5e45720cd0c78fcc0dca.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

I had heard Flynn's was going to be in the old Millionaire building but that area isn't big enough for all of that stuff, unless they remove the covering/seating for that stage area that's there.

Millionaire building is essentially gutted. It's a big space.

This looks cool. I'm stoked for the new movie, and I have admittedly delusional hopes it will lead to a video game arcade resurgence.

The sad reality is no. You have to remember that the reason why arcades in the 80s basically existed in the first place is because that was the only venue to play those games. The technology did not yet exist in your home. And today, when you can play an exact frame-to-frame copy of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on your iPhone...well, the video game resurgence is actually happening in the home.

--Robb "Sorry to go off topic...just happens to be a subject matter I know a lot about!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

That looks really cool. I'm trying to figure out where in that area all of that stuff is though. I had heard Flynn's was going to be in the old Millionaire building but that area isn't big enough for all of that stuff, unless they remove the covering/seating for that stage area that's there.

In the art above, it shows Flynn's Arcade in the Hollywood & Dine Building. The water bubble looking thing in the back is the Monster Inc Facade, Rizzo's Gag Store is a Tron merchandise store, and the Recognizer covers the "Hollywood Studio" sign.

This looks cool. I'm stoked for the new movie, and I have admittedly delusional hopes it will lead to a video game arcade resurgence.

The sad reality is no. You have to remember that the reason why arcades in the 80s basically existed in the first place is because that was the only venue to play those games. The technology did not yet exist in your home. And today, when you can play an exact frame-to-frame copy of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace on your iPhone...well, the video game resurgence is actually happening in the home.

--Robb "Sorry to go off topic...just happens to be a subject matter I know a lot about!" Alvey

Robb, I know you're right. I just miss the whole game arcade environment...all the sounds, lights, crowds of people cheering, etc. - that community experience which is hard to replicate at home. We actually have a mall game arcade here in Nashville which seems to be doing pretty well. I think what helps it is that they've diversified their business to include holding game tournaments as well as buying/selling/trading games. I know I'm a relic of the 80's.