TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

LOL! We just saw a commercial for WoC on TV and KT was horrified and scared of it! I asked her if she wanted to go see the show and she said NO!

Then we saw the other Nightastic Commercial and she wanted to go to Disney right away.

Kind of odd that a commercial is scaring off some of their core audience!

^^ Get to CA Adv before it opens. Once the park opens, head straight over to the Grizzly River Run fastpass distribution machines as they will be dispensing WOC tickets, with varying show times and locations.

If I am ever at CA adv, I might watch it. Heck, I saw the entire Fantasmic for the first time this past summer.. and I have been going to Disneyland since I was born. I would much rather ride rides and take advantage of shorter lines.

So...Are there directions on what in the world to do in order to see the show on Friday? The Disneyland website has a link for 'Showtimes and Info' but doesn't really provide either.

The Disney Parks Blog has the most up to date information! Look for the entry titled World of Color Viewing Tips.

You know, it's fair to say that I was caught up in the hype, and I was actually inquiring about this show over the weekend as to when I should go.

After seeing that video, my answer is "Eh, whenever I get there!"

I know I'm in the minority, and I don't care. But that little snippet looked boring as hell to me. There was nothing there that makes me want to run out and see it. The hype, to me, was just that, hype.

Dancing water. Check. Oooooh, they added color. BFD.

Water screens. Check. Oooooh, they made them bigger. Whoop-ti-do.

Fire. Check. Lots of it. Whoop-ti-do.

Not too long ago, I got pounded here for saying that it wouldn't be a "Fantasmic" killer. Yet above, Chris (who's seen it 3x now) says the same thing, and he's one of the bigger Disney fanboys around. (Don't even deny it Chris! ) Nothing wrong with that. If that's what you're into, fine, please enjoy.

What I saw, is EXACTLY what I figured I'd see months ago. A bunch of glorified lawn sprinklers, big mist screens, and fire effects.

Color me unimpressed.

Yeah, I will see it eventually see it. Probably in the fall. But until then.... Sorry, don't care.

But to be fair Jeff, I said they were not comparable and thats why it wont kill Fantasmic, not that it wasn't a good show. And I agree that the video doesn't show World of Color well, cause the it's done in layers. And the high angle the video was shot in really shows the separation of them, so it looks very dull. It is a different experience with a good view from the viewing area. But still, at the end of the day, it is a fountain show (albeit with fire, color, lasers, and projections) and its not going to please everyone.

^Somebody turned their term paper into a show?

Thesis statement: The World is a carousel of color--wonderful, wonderful, color.

Body: Show them color.

Conculsion: The World is, indeed, a carousel of color.

That being said, I'll catch the show the next time I'm in southern California. I did like the "stampede" in the video and how it seemed to come right at the audience.

^^ Hahaha that paper sounds much more enjoyable than anything I've had to write.

I was always excited for WoC but had the "eh I'll see it eventually" attitude. However, the reviews in here have made me really want to see it and now I'm sitting here trying to figure out how to come up with $100 and a ride to SoCal.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/larger-than-life-carnivale-style-puppets-kick-off-the-party-at-world-of-color-pre-show/

As guests gather each night, waiting for our dazzling new spectacular, “World of Color” to begin, they can join in the larger-than-life party atmosphere of a pre-show—a high-energy celebration that kicks off the night. This brand new nightly pre-show encourages families and friends to cheer for their favorite hues with the official “color mascots” for “World of Color.” Each mascot is a giant, imaginative Carnivale-style puppet that brings to life some of Disney’s most “colorful” characters. And when these illuminated Sky Puppets arrive, music, energy, and color really take over! Lumiere (“Beauty and the Beast”) lights up for yellow¸ Sebastian (“The Little Mermaid”) gets folks “out of their shells” for red, and Mike Wazowksi (“Monsters, Inc.”) has his “eye” out for anyone who is hip with green. Of course, there’s no doubt about what hue Aladdin’s true blue Genie favors. What more could you wish for on a thrilling summer night?

This exciting pre-show comes alive every evening during Summer Nightastic!, just prior to the first performance of “World of Color.” Are you ready to show your true colors?

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-with-flair/

We love showy souvenirs, and “World of Color” certainly doesn’t disappoint. Here’s a sneak peek of whimsical goodies you’ll find throughout Disney California Adventure park:

A “Pop” of Color: Popcorn wagons at Disney California Adventure park get in the fun with flavored and colored popcorn in a souvenir bucket, with tastes of cherry, blueberry and plum. Or if you prefer your popcorn plain, you can get a souvenir bucket, travel mug and sipper to carry home.

Eat ‘n Glow: Light-up cotton candy! White cotton candy with a ribbon of pink, blue or purple wraps around a light-up wand. Or just eat: the “World of Color” cupcake has raspberry filling and milk chocolate frosting with a “World of Color” chocolate image.

Drink ‘n Glow: Spectrum Splash is Minute Maid Light Lemonade with a shot of flavored syrup in strawberry, blueberry or Granny Smith apple, served in a light-up “World of Color” plastic glass. Or with a kick: the Tropical Mist cocktail features Vodka X-fusion and coconut rum topped with sprite – and a light-up swizzle stick, available only at Ariel’s Grotto, Cove Bar and Wine Country Trattoria.

If you prefer bling, a light-up bangle bracelet comes in red, blue and green. Or a “light”-er-than-air light-up glasshouse balloon.

We plan on eating popcorn with a side of cotton candy and a Spectrum Splash to wash it all down – with light-up bangle bracelets on both arms and a balloon tied to our backpack. (And a cupcake for a midnight snack.)

puppets1424_large.jpg.a8807374137b7326c820abcb38449177.jpg

wcf190716LARGE.jpg.1085b228b8271be3aadb096fc8990f7c.jpg

wcf462010LARGE.jpg.9e100ace7a2eca6eaa7cf90bfe8de909.jpg

wcf292464LARGE.jpg.ef2e7bebd392825bb07e2df3a0c4809e.jpg

wcf536266LARGE.jpg.6a523b334e51f3066517d13882fab509.jpg

wcf616227LARGE.jpg.1ae34ebbc8524a403dd14cab6fd9479f.jpg

wcf371517LARGE.jpg.b8a879912115015d3fd3fc3ab4d6b4bd.jpg

^Somebody turned their term paper into a show?

Thesis statement: The World is a carousel of color--wonderful, wonderful, color.

Body: Show them color.

Conculsion: The World is, indeed, a carousel of color.

God, that's hysterical, mainly because I'm still in college. I also hear the stamped section uses the in-theater fountain effects.

But to be fair Jeff, I said they were not comparable and thats why it wont kill Fantasmic, not that it wasn't a good show.

I wasn't calling YOU on that Chris. But, much earlier in this thread, I got berated for saying the exact same thing.

I was giving you credit, as I know you're a much bigger fan than I am, so your credentials give my (much) earlier posts some credibility about what I had perceived this to be. And, apparently, I was right!

I'll see it eventually. Like I said, no hurry.

Are you saying World of Color and Fantasmic can't be compared because they're not both Disney nighttime shows who project movies on water screens about a 10-minute walk from each other?

Finding Nemo and the first Pirates movie were both Disney movies about the ocean projected on perforated metal screens that were about a 30 second walk across the multiplex from each other back in the summer of 2003. However, I wouldn't call Pirates a Nemo killer or vice versa. It's an apples to oranges comparison.

^^ Or as a more simple example one has a story one does not. WOC is a huge show, it dominates the water amd you can see it from everywhere, it is a water show. Fantasmic is a small show that has a story line but packs a punch and is more emmersive, you get up very close to the effects as they are not too far away. In the end the water segments of WOC will kill fantasmic, but fantasmic is about more than just water.

Last night was the first public showing of WoC. The overall consensus so far has been that it's a great show, but if Steve Davison was allowed to add more of a story (like he originally wanted) it would have been a grand slam, A+ show. There's some threads of a story line and transitions scene to scene, but Lil Squirt and Alice have gone out the window in favor of more Pirates.

There are HD videos all over the web.

The people at the front desk here at the PP Hotel say that the picnic boxes / dinner reservations with preferred seating are starting at 12:01am Friday morning. Guess that's what I'll be doing instead of sleeping! I certainly don't plan on waking up and waiting in line from 7am on to get a FastPass for the show, like they want everyone to do.

Dear God, I don't see how anyone could be unhappy with this show. Maybe I'm just blown away because it was the first time, but I like it more than Fantasmic simply because of the magnitude of the performance, and because of how complex and overwhelming the effects are!

I loved the entire thing! The ending is awesome!

See the show! Its worth the price of admission in my opinion!

World of Color picnic packages with reserved seating are now available online.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/general/loadGeneric?genericName=WorldOfColorPicnicsPopUp

$12.99 seems to be a small price to pay for not having to hassle with getting FP tickets in the morning.

Thinking of going on Sunday.

EDIT: Just booked the picnic package for Sunday. I'll be sure to take pics of the picnic portion (I'm sure there will be PLENTY of pics of WOC by then).