TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

You'll realize that Chris was quoting information from Disney, though. Just sayin.

Disney's going to come out and say that it's a holding place for WoC FPers. If it wasn't, then why didn't they announce it with the rest of Nightastic? Instead they announced it during the WoC preview event. And I bet they'll have people queue up and get ready in that area since "all our guests are enjoying our new entertainment offerings" blah blah blah.

And I was wrong about WoC FP, my bad.

Why does Disney do half the stuff it does. I think that Glow fest was announced when it was cause it does have the same "Theme" as World of Color...its a color party. And in reality, Glow Fest was announced on the Disney Parks Bolg that day well before the preview that night, the announcement really isn't connected. As well, if it was going to be a holding pen...why wouldnt they just announce it with Glow Fest? It seems to reason that if youre going to announce an event that you would also specsify its purpose if there was a specific one, such as a line for World of Color. And going back to Al Lutz, (who you believe knows what he is talking about) even said in his latest article that Glow Fest is to get people away from the Pier while World of Color is showing, not to line them up.

The big-picture attempt with Glow Fest will be to try and pull people away from the rides shutting down around Paradise Pier before show time to allow for a more orderly load-in process for World of Color. This is also an attempt to minimize the amount of time people are waiting on their feet for the show, as there won’t be any seating in Paradise Park and the crowd control planners want to keep everyone standing to maximize the space available.

But either way, it truly doesn't matter with Fastpass, as the whole reason for the system is to avoid forming a line.... So, if they are trying to avoid a line by making you get a Fastpass...then why would they have you LINE UP all the way across the park?

So, by either: the Parks Blog or Al, Glow Fest is not a World of Color line.

This just seems like to much trouble to see a show. I prefer to go to a park without a plan and see where the day takes me, this thing that Disney wants you to plan the day for the moment you arrive to the second you leave, takes the fun out of going to parks!

That is how I always visit Disneyland...carefree and going with the flow...

I'm still not too sure about the FASTPASS idea. I mean, you guys made some strong arguments about why it's good, but I still don't see the idea lasting too long...

This just seems like to much trouble to see a show. I prefer to go to a park without a plan and see where the day takes me, this thing that Disney wants you to plan the day for the moment you arrive to the second you leave, takes the fun out of going to parks!

That is how I always visit Disneyland...carefree and going with the flow...

I'm still not too sure about the FASTPASS idea. I mean, you guys made some strong arguments about why it's good, but I still don't see the idea lasting too long...

Im not for the system, I just understand why they want to use it. And who knows, there is a slight chance that it could work well.

So, if they are trying to avoid a line by making you get a Fastpass...then why would they have you LINE UP all the way across the park?.

Sorry forgot to quote this bit...

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al033010a.htm

If Mary’s team goes with their current plan, an army of crowd control CM’s will corral all Showpass ticket holders into that area an hour before showtime. That plaza will have a predictable iPod DJ perched above playing family friendly pop music and trying to build camaraderie and happy vibes amongst the crowds that will soon be herded down the parade route by crowd control and then elbow their way into the best possible spot in the lagoon viewing area. This tactic is both a logistical crowd control tool by park operations and part of an attempt by WDI to not allow the viewers for the second show to hang out around the lagoon during the first show, lest they see from a bad angle how the show plays out and what surprises it has in store for them. If they do go with this overwrought process, it promises to create plenty of headaches for the CM’s, not to mention some very confused visitors.

It's in order to prevent people from seeing the first show at a bad angle and ruining any surprises. Anal, yes, but we're talking bout Steve Davison and WDI here, that guy is a show control freak.

^That was posted mack in March...and to pull from that, it says "If Marry and her team go with the current plan"...they are no longer corralling people into the area to wait. And again, that would defeat the purpose of using a fast Pass. You are correct in saying that its to entice people from staying away from the pier. But its not a holding pen..

As for Steve, I know him, and this is not the case. Its ideal that people shouldn't see or hear the show before they are in the viewing area, but the reality is that its just not going to happen. A lot of what Al says is made up or is a rumor that he is posting as truth; just because Al says it's so means nothing! I can do the same thing; however, I'm giving my sources, he doesn't.

I'm interested to know when they will shut down the lines for CA Screamin', Toy Story, etc. If the park closes at 11, and they don't want CA Screamin running during the shows at 9 and 10 - does that mean they are closing one of their top attractions 2 hours early every single night? It reads like the party is designed to compensate for lack of access to the Pier attractions after, as guests wait out for their turn to see the WOC. That wouldn't work for me personally. Interesting to see how this all turns out from the crowd control perspective.

The rides that are closing will probably close how ever many minutes there line is, plus a few extra before the show starts. So Screamin' is a 30 minute wait, they will probably close the line 45-50 minutes before the first show. And will stay closed for the rest of the night.

And thats basically what Glow Fest is, its a distraction/compensation for the pier being closed.

Just got back from the park, a couple of interesting things are in the park. There is quite a bit of Glow Fest stuff up already and surprisingly, it doesn't look horrible. I actually kinda like the look of it in Hollywood Pictures Backlot, adds a little bit to the kinda blah facades in there. And perhaps the most interesting thing I saw, all of the lights and everything ready for a WoC show to begin, and accompanying all of that was a giant mass of people, along with dozens of crowd control CMs guiding these people. Looks like there is a show tonight, something I didn't know was happening!

---Brent

I just watched a lot of World of Color from my hotel room in the Paradise Pier Hotel -- granted, through some palm trees -- and it looked great! I'll be there Friday for the Grand Opening, and I'm more than afraid to go through the mess it's going to take to see the show. Hopefully it'll be worth it!

Do we have an official plan for how to see the show?

I just got back from the first cast member preview of World of Color and I absolutely loved it! The scenes mesh together nicely and the sheer size of the waterscreens is unbelievable. Kudos to the guest control crew for WoC that kept everything in order, you've just got to see this one next time you're in the area!

^Glad to hear that it's living up to expectations.

As a cast member I assume that you will arrange to get Robb + Elissa into the opening night show? Even if you have to handcuff Robb(who's not a show guy) to the railing to force him to sit through a viewing.

I hope opening night goes well for you guys, it should be interesting to say the least.

Seeing World of Color last night was the third time I have been able to see it since previews started on Friday. And I have to say that the show is really something else, with the way that the water is transformed into pieces of scenery for the show in incredible. Also, they use of new and classic animation go together so well, even the Pirates of the Caribbean segment looks great and that has Jack Sparrow in it. There are even a few surprises in the show, things that were thought to have been cut still found their way into the show. Pay attention to the show after its over, someone takes a bow.

Now, I do understand that this is still a water show and its not going to work for everyone, but you should still try and see it at least once, if nothing else, kids are going to love it. During last nights show, a group of kids kept yelling out the character names every time they saw a new one and would get really excited. Also, the Hell Fire scene scared the crap out of them, with all the fire going at once it gets pretty hot!

Some people were asking if this show was going to be a Fantasmic killer, and the answer is no. Reason being is that they are two totally different shows and are really not comparable. Yes, Fantasmic uses smaller mist screens, but that is where the similarities end. World of Color is so huge, that if you are at the waters edge, you can't see anything else on the pier and I've been told displaces almost a million gallons of water! There really isn't anything else like it in the world. Everyone should see the show, its great! and just in case you didn't already know, the show opens on June 11th. See ya there!

I just became a cast member(cashier, attractions were gone) yay! Too bad Im only a temp(as of now, I wanna be full time) so I didnt get to attend cast previews, also, I havent even done Traditions or training yet.

Anyone got any pointers for a new CM?

The Proud to join the many TPR cms Ghost

You know, it's fair to say that I was caught up in the hype, and I was actually inquiring about this show over the weekend as to when I should go.

After seeing that video, my answer is "Eh, whenever I get there!"

I know I'm in the minority, and I don't care. But that little snippet looked boring as hell to me. There was nothing there that makes me want to run out and see it. The hype, to me, was just that, hype.

Dancing water. Check. Oooooh, they added color. BFD.

Water screens. Check. Oooooh, they made them bigger. Whoop-ti-do.

Fire. Check. Lots of it. Whoop-ti-do.

Not too long ago, I got pounded here for saying that it wouldn't be a "Fantasmic" killer. Yet above, Chris (who's seen it 3x now) says the same thing, and he's one of the bigger Disney fanboys around. (Don't even deny it Chris! ) Nothing wrong with that. If that's what you're into, fine, please enjoy.

What I saw, is EXACTLY what I figured I'd see months ago. A bunch of glorified lawn sprinklers, big mist screens, and fire effects.

Color me unimpressed.

Yeah, I will see it eventually see it. Probably in the fall. But until then.... Sorry, don't care.

I like the depth in the video, and I imagine it is even more striking when viewed live.

But god those modern, thinned-out half-assed versions of songs really irritates me. At least the whole show isn't using them like the Halloween Screams fireworks.

Color me unimpressed.

I guess it's kind of hard to top watching two dinosaurs fight under the aurora borealis while geysers shoot off, that was a lame attempt at an "old" joke. Sorry this forum does weird things to you. I hope there's a better joke than that.