TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ Its not a holding pen, its just something else to do in the park at night. There isn't going to be any type of world of color line there or anything, Its just a color themed party.

The concept are for that worries me a bit...lol. Lets hope it comes out better then what were being shown here.

World of Color Viewing Tips from the Disney Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-viewing-tips/

Looks like the only way to get a spot in the new Amphitheatre is going to be via Fastpass, the picnic basket or DIsney Dining. So basically, there is no way to see the show in the reserved area if you don't do one of those 3 things. You will have to see it from the "Screamin'" side if you don't have one of those. Wow!!!

Seems like a LOT of work just to see a show.

I think FASTPASS for the World of Color is a bad idea. I know they want to avoid crowding and bottlenecking problems, but I think this is making it a WHOLE LOT worse. I have reread that Disney Parks Blog over and over and I still can't make any sense of it. I understand how distribution works, but I still can't seem to figure out how this is supposed to help with crowding.

And they do offer options for people who want to reserve their spots, but how about those who don't want to hassle with that and just sit their blankets down and reserve a spot like that.

Either way, I think it would be best if I saw this in the off-season or whenever it would be easiest to see the show...

So if you get a Fastpass for World of Color at the very beginning of the day, does that mean you cannot get a Fastpass at DCA for the rest of the day? Because I know that you cannot get another Fastpass ticket until the first time on your ticket comes around, and if the shows aren't until 9:00 or 10:00 or whenever they are doing them, does that mean you are blocked from getting a Fastpass ticket for the entirety of the day?

---Brent

^I'm sure it's not on the same 'loop' as the other fastpass machines.

For example, the machines at DCA are all linked together (except GRR for at least a few years) meaning if you got a fastpass for soarin you could not get one for screamin until the time of the fastpass or two hours whichever came first, but if you had a fastpass for grizzly you COULD get another one right away for another ride.

Also Disneyland and DCA are NOT on the same loop, meaning you can have a fastpass for Space then run over and get a fastpass for screamin.

I'm pretty sure that WoC will have it's 'own loop' and only be on its own so you can get a fastpass for that, and ANY other ride in either park.

I'm more interested in seeing how they handle the crowds than the actual show! And heaven forbid if there is any wind during the show! Right there you may loose 1/4 of the viewing areas. But the Glow fest will make up for it

I knew that DCA and DL were on different loops, I was just making sure that the WoC Fastpass wouldn't be on the same circuit as the rest of the park. It would be a nightmare if WoC was on the same circuit. These crowds are going to be monstrous, and I have a feeling that Disney is totally NOT prepared for the chaos that will ensue this summer.

---Brent

World of Color Viewing Tips from the Disney Blog:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/06/world-of-color-viewing-tips/

Looks like the only way to get a spot in the new Amphitheatre is going to be via Fastpass, the picnic basket or DIsney Dining. So basically, there is no way to see the show in the reserved area if you don't do one of those 3 things. You will have to see it from the "Screamin'" side if you don't have one of those. Wow!!!

Seems like a LOT of work just to see a show.

I wrote an article about this on FaceBook, but I'll paraphrase it here on TPR.

There are several reasons why I think this is a bad idea. First, I never really was too big on the idea on FASTPASS for shows. I am aware that they have put FASTPASS on shows at Walt Disney World (such as HISTA, Voyage of the Little Mermaid, It’s Tough to Be a Bug) and there haven’t been any complaints as far as I’m concerned. But see, FASTPASS can work on those attractions because they have rather large capacities.

For “World of Color,” it’s not that simple.

Now, most average park-goers I talk to think that the best way to help the crowds is to add FASTPASS. Unfortunately, the FASTPASS system doesn’t work like that. A FASTPASS attraction (whether it’s a ride or a show) can only give out a select number of tickets a day. It all depends on the ride’s capacity and its popularity.

What this means for “World of Color” is that it can only give out a few FASTPASSes for the day. Now as I am writing this, the plan is to only give out 4,000 FASTPASS tickets a day, 2,000 for each show time. Obviously, there’s going to be more than 4,000 people who is going to want to see this show, so FASTPASS tickets are going to sell out very quickly. In fact, I won’t be surprised if after fifteen minutes after the park has opened, I find that the FASTPASS tickets have all been sold out.

That’s not the only problem. Not only will the cast members have to direct the traffic after Paradise Pier closes, they will also have to create some sort of “holding pen” for people waiting to get into the amphitheater. Then, they’ll have to sort everyone out and make sure only the people with reservations are allowed into the amphitheater. Team Disney Anaheim thinks this will help the crowd control problems, but really, as I said before, they are making it worse.

And I should mention that by making the amphitheater exclusive to FASTPASS holders, people who couldn’t get a FASTPASS will have to find a spot somewhere else. They will feel like they’re being discriminated against, just because they were not enough FASTPASS tickets to go around.

Let me put it this way...

Imagine if Soarin’ over California decided that, for one day, they’re going to get rid of the Stand-by line, which means that if you wanted to ride Soarin’, you had to obtain a FASTPASS ticket. Now, just like with “World of Color,” these tickets are limited and they sell out quick. And once the FASTPASSes run out and you didn’t get one, tough break. Maybe you’ll have better luck next time.

How would you feel if Disney actually did that? How would you feel if you couldn’t ride Soarin’ over California because you weren’t quick enough to get a FASTPASS ticket before they run out? You would feel miserable, right? Well, that’s what I’m getting from the “World of Color” FASTPASS idea.

Overall, I think FASTPASS for “World of Color” is a terrible idea and I hope that after a short run, Disney will abandon the idea.

-----space "thank goodness I have the Deluxe AP" mtfan

The only problem is that your emotional argument is really against the limited capacity of Paradise Park, not FASTPASS. If they let people line up or camp out, I would very easily see the shows filling up in the early afternoon. is it any more fair to make people sacrifice half their day at the park to see a show? How would you feel if you didn't get to ride several major rides because you spent all your time sitting in the hot sun waiting for a 25 minute show (or similarly didn't get to see the show because you didn't line up in time)?

If I'm not mistaken the WoC Fastpass is only going to be used for the first showing, with second/third showings becoming first come first serve. And the holding pen for the shows will be the new Glow Fest acid trip thing.

Really? It says on the Disney Parks Blog that the Fastpass machines will give you tickets for the first showing and then the second showing, and once those run out that's it. Unless I missed another article...

As for the Glow Fest, while that would serve as an effective holding pen, you still would have the problems of people trying to fight the crowds to go on the rides...

^Fastpass will be used for both shows. I don't know how they will do a third show, whether its Fastpass or Standby. If they decide early enough in the day, I could see them doing Fastpass for all 3 shows. But obviously, if they decide two hours before park closing to add a third show, it would be difficult to make everyone go get a Fastpass, so I could see it then as first come first serve. But whatever they do with the third shows, it needs to be consistent. It would be really annoying to do stand-by one night, then the next night do Fastpass, it would really confuse people.

And as for Glow Fest, its just another attraction to do at night. Its not going to be a holding pen for World of Color. The point of Fastpass is to avoid having people line up for the show hours ahead of time. The park blog pitches it as its own attraction, and says its "the perfect thing to check out with your family, or if you’re just looking for a fun way to cap your night." Doesn't sound much of a place to line up...plus its the farthest place away from World of Color in the park. There are other places better suited for people to line up if that were to happen.

According to the rumors on the other disney blogs, the plan is to run a third show (and extend the park closing to 11pm) for as long as necessary. The third should would always be first-come-first-served (again, according to the rumors).

The use of Fastpass also eliminates people who saw the first show staying put in Paradise Park for the second. I think it's about as fair of a system as it will get for WoC, especially with all the AP's that are going to descend on the park.

The use of Fastpass also eliminates people who saw the first show staying put in Paradise Park for the second. I think it's about as fair of a system as it will get for WoC, especially with all the AP's that are going to descend on the park.

Hmmm...you bring up a good point...

And as for Glow Fest, its just another attraction to do at night. Its not going to be a holding pen for World of Color. The point of Fastpass is to avoid having people line up for the show hours ahead of time. The park blog pitches it as its own attraction, and says its "the perfect thing to check out with your family, or if you’re just looking for a fun way to cap your night." Doesn't sound much of a place to line up...plus its the farthest place away from World of Color in the park. There are other places better suited for people to line up if that were to happen.

According to Al Lutz Glow Fest was created as a way to hold people waiting for shows from seeing the show while waiting for it (hence it's location.)

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al060110a.htm

Glow Fest may not have decades of tradition behind it and that special touch from Walt that Disneyland’s evening entertainment enjoys, but it will have a valid liquor license and plenty of LED lighting, and the DCA team is going to give it their best shot. With the two new evening Aladdin shows at the Hyperion Theatre, that area of the park will probably be the busiest it’s ever been during these Glow Fest hours, or so the crowd control planners hope. The big-picture attempt with Glow Fest will be to try and pull people away from the rides shutting down around Paradise Pier before show time to allow for a more orderly load-in process for World of Color. This is also an attempt to minimize the amount of time people are waiting on their feet for the show, as there won’t be any seating in Paradise Park and the crowd control planners want to keep everyone standing to maximize the space available.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al050410a.htm

We’d told you in a previous update of a plan to have a DJ and a “party atmosphere” in the Sun Plaza, and then get the thousands of waiting guests to march en masse up the parade route and in to Paradise Park. But with the recent addition of the third nightly show that plan has now morphed into something much bigger, as TDA realizes they may not be able to pull off the Showpass concept for the second and third show, and that corralling thousands of people in a closed theme park creates all sorts of logistical headaches. So now the plan is to create a sprawling area in the Hollywood Pictures Backlot that they are calling “Festival of Color”, to include DJ’s, carts selling snacks and souvenirs, games for the kids, and perhaps keeping MuppetVision 3-D or the Animation pavilion open late for entertainment.

When each World of Color show ends, the exiting crowd would be herded down the trail along Grizzly River Run, and then either pushed out the emergency gate near Soarin’ Over California towards the parking lot trams or dumped out the main park turnstiles. Meanwhile, the next audience would be led out of the Festival of Color area and up the parade route to be sent scrambling for viewing areas in Paradise Park.

You'll realize that Chris was quoting information from Disney, though. Just sayin.

Disney's going to come out and say that it's a holding place for WoC FPers. If it wasn't, then why didn't they announce it with the rest of Nightastic? Instead they announced it during the WoC preview event. And I bet they'll have people queue up and get ready in that area since "all our guests are enjoying our new entertainment offerings" blah blah blah.

And I was wrong about WoC FP, my bad.

1: I am very very happy to see FastPasses for WoC. I'm hoping I'll be able to keep riding rides until 15 min before a show starts, but that is seeming unlikely. Also, is there a chance they will stagger the WoC fastpasses? Give one block out at 9am, another block out at 12pm, a final at 3pm?

2: I hope that they start to open and close DCA with Disneyland. Mostly because nearly everyone will go to Disneyland first, and being nearly alone at DCA would be great. Once the Cars ride opens, I think they will have to, just to run it enough hours to get everyone on it.

I see the Cars ride opening for hotel early entry at 7am, and finishing off the line at 1am, at least for the first summer. (Similar to Space Mountain every 8-12am opening already)

This just seems like to much trouble to see a show. I prefer to go to a park without a plan and see where the day takes me, this thing that Disney wants you to plan the day for the moment you arrive to the second you leave, takes the fun out of going to parks!