TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Has there been another time in their history where they have announced a replacement for a show, set a closing date, then backed down at the last minute?

Yes, Disneyland annouced an Indiana Jones and a Muppet stage show (both copies from Disney-MGM Studios) that were supposed to debut in 1991, and press releases were released in 1990, but neither show made it. While the Indiana Jones show would've gone where the Hunchback Theater is now and not have replaced anything, the Muppet stage show would've replaced the Videopolis (which was eventually replaced in 1995 by the Fantasyland Theater). Disneyland has even had whole rides (Dick Tracy Crimestoppers) and lands (Hollywoodland) that were announced but never built.

I don't know if specific closing dates were released (maybe someone who was older than 6 in 1990 can chime in), but they did announce which year.

I can't find an online copy of the 1990 press releases, but there are articles written on the subject at http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID111370.asp and http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2004/11/04/490.aspx

Didn't they do that when Steps in Time was shut down? I think they were planning to put in another show of the same theme. Then, they brought in an abridged version of Blast! to fill the theater before they could get the technical bits worked out for Aladdin. The Hyperion has had a rocky history - it was supposed to be the theater of all theaters to envy...but the productions fell short immensely, not using the stage's intense technological advancements...so they were torn out to make way for more specialized effects (like the carpet rig for Aladdin).

Didn't they do that when Steps in Time was shut down? I think they were planning to put in another show of the same theme. Then, they brought in an abridged version of Blast! to fill the theater before they could get the technical bits worked out for Aladdin. The Hyperion has had a rocky history - it was supposed to be the theater of all theaters to envy...but the productions fell short immensely, not using the stage's intense technological advancements...so they were torn out to make way for more specialized effects (like the carpet rig for Aladdin).

The first version of Steps in Time closed before the official opening day, and the second "hipper" version opened with the park. As I remember it, there were reports in the newspaper of Blast moving from Epcot to DCA even before the second Steps in Time was officially cancelled.

All right, I need some advice. I am goping to Disneyland/DCA on either June 6th or June 13th. I am going with a bunch of friends, one who has not been to Disneyland for five years and who has never been to DCA. If they are using the WOC ticketing system officially then we will probably go on the thirteenth. If they do not use the ticketing the system I am not sure I can justify waiting in line all day when one of the people going has an entire park to cover as well as a bunch of stuff Disneyland which she has not done in five years... also shes never even been on Space Mtn. so I'm assuming she has only ever been a few times. What should I do? Should I pray for the ticketing system and rush into DCA on the 13th, a mere 48 hours after opening with the knowledge that if it was crowded I probably couldnt see the show, and it will likely be more crowded due to the recent opening of the show? Or should I play it safe and go on the 6th and have no chance of seeing WOC, but have shorter waits?

I would go the 6th too. If you were going with a bunch of APs I'd say maybe chance the WOC crowds and go the 13th, but since you're going with people who haven't been to DL, I wouldn't. It doesn't seem worth it to have to run to DCA to get passes, line up for an hour beforehand, fight through crowds, etc. just to see one show when there's a lot of stuff your friends haven't seen/done. Just my opinion. Also, I don't know about the SoCal schools but a lot of the schools near me (and colleges on the quarter system) don't get out until the 11th--making the weekend of the 13th is the first summer weekend. So that's another reason to go the 6th!

Thanks everyone. A new option opened up which were going to end up taking. We are going to be at the park by noon on Friday, June 18th. Around here(in my district at least) people still have school on that friday, but there is just a senior breakfast that day, so we are going right after. Also, the following week is finals for everyone around besides seniors. We may try to see WOC if they are using the ticket thing but if not no biggie. Im generally pretty lucky in terms of crowds, and as long as we get semi lucky with fastpasses and all she really needs to do at California Adventure is Mania(the only non fastpass) Screamin, Soarin, and TOT and Grizzly depending on weather. Otherwise we'll be good crowd wise.

Wish me luck though, if all goes well I will work either in food services or in hotels at DLR becasue attractions positions were full. I got an online interview, which means they are semi interested, and in 72 hours I get to set up a real interview.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/05/disneyland-hotel-makeover/

Big news…Today we’re sharing details and concept art that will give the Disneyland Hotel a fun, fresh makeover. The pool area is getting a whole new look, including a brand-new pool, all-new immersive water play area and a complete redesign of the Never Land Pool. Plans also call for a new restaurant and bar, and re-theming of the hotel’s three guest room towers.

The biggest transformation (and what I’m most looking forward to) are the changes coming to the pool area. With a nod to the iconic original park signage, “Disneyland” will be spelled out in familiar blocks atop a platform supporting two huge water slides (the larger slide will be 26 feet high and will stretch 187 feet before it plunges into a splash pool below). Reminiscent of the original Monorail station at the Disneyland Hotel, at each slide’s entrance will sit a replica Monorail Car that guests will glide through as they twist and turn their way to the pool below. The pool will also feature a third, two-lane mini slide, perfect for little ones, which is just 3 1/2 feet high and is 19 feet long.

The Never Land Pool will receive a complete cosmetic makeover but will retain its unique shape. A new, four-foot deep pool will be built between the Never Land Pool and the water play area. A footbridge will stretch over this new pool, connecting both sides of the courtyard area and giving easy access across the property. Six new cabanas will also be added. To help you visualize all these exciting, new changes, here’s a rendering from an aerial view.

And that’s not all! Two new dining locations will be introduced in the current location of Hook’s Pointe, Croc’s Bites and Bits, the Wine Cellar and the Lost Bar. A new “smart casual” dining concept will feature Tahitian architecture that is reminiscent of the ’50s and ’60s era of the hotel and the original Tahitian Terrace restaurant in Disneyland park. A new bar will draw on the adventure theme from the Jungle Cruise attraction.

The new water play area, pool and dining locations are scheduled to be completed by summer 2011, and the remodeled Never Land Pool is slated to be completed by summer 2012.

The hotel’s three guest room towers will be renamed to reflect Disneyland park’s distinctive lands. The Dreams Tower, currently under renovation and scheduled to be completed in 2010, will become the Adventure Tower. The Wonder Tower, next to undergo transformation and slated for completion in 2011, will be the Frontier Tower, and the Magic Tower, which will be finished in 2012, will become the Fantasy Tower. A large marquee featuring classic artwork for Adventureland, Frontierland and Fantasyland will identify each tower.

Now that you’ve heard about all these changes, what are you most excited about?

slidetowe_051710_LARGE.jpg.f70460b3463547836a0c64f5ed555d7d.jpg

DHC_051710_LARGE.thumb.jpg.51f825494c8679b954e048f3390b2836.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

This all looks really nice! I'm glad they're expanding the pools because that pool always gets so crowded. Also happy to hear that the guest rooms are getting a much-needed makeover.

2012 is looking like a good year to go to Disney...renovated hotel and (hopefully) a closer-to-finished DCA!

I'm actually going to miss Croc's Bites (amazing nachos) and the Lost Bar. Nice place to hang out at Disney away from the crowds.
I have a lot of good memories of the Lost Bar but I'm sure the new place will not disapoint.

Agreed!

^^^ In your district they get out on the 18th, but I know Ventura County schools get out next Friday and I think LAUSD schools get out on the 11th. Not sure about OC schools, but they are probably the same. Many schools will be out of session so don't go on the 18th expecting no crowds. Expect the opposite.

In fact, the parks will now be pretty busy until essentially the end of the year with just a few weeks break from the start of school (Labor Day) until Halloweentime starts (early October). Then you are right into the holiday's, etc.

Your best bet with Disneyland is to take a school day off and just go for the day. You may miss out on some entertainment stuff, but the parks are generally pretty managable those days.

^^^ In your district they get out on the 18th, but I know Ventura County schools get out next Friday and I think LAUSD schools get out on the 11th. Not sure about OC schools, but they are probably the same. Many schools will be out of session so don't go on the 18th expecting no crowds. Expect the opposite.

I don't know about all of Orange County, but Capistrano Unified doesn't get out until June 23rd. I've heard they are one of the last ones out, so the rest of the county probably gets out a week or two earlier.

In fact, the parks will now be pretty busy until essentially the end of the year with just a few weeks break from the start of school (Labor Day) until Halloweentime starts (early October). Then you are right into the holiday's, etc.

If you can get to the park on a weekday between the end of Thanksgiving week and the beginning of winter break, the park is usually pretty empty. I did that last year and got on all but one major ride in both parks combined with a couple re-rides. Longest line was 25 minutes for Toy Story Midway Mania and most lines were in the 10-15 minute range.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

Everyone seems to be interested in “World of Color,” and Mickey Mouse is no exception. In this never-before-seen TV spot, you can see Mickey mischievously handling a magical baton and trying to conduct this water spectacular all by himself! It won’t appear on television until Monday, May 31, but we’re treating you to a rare first glimpse of the “World of Color” spot.

Did you notice the fun, new logo for Disney California Adventure park in the spot? It’s so new that if you touch the screen, you just might get paint on your fingers.

What do you think of the TV spot and new logo?

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=disneyparks_348_kgr0[/coastertube]

DCALogo462199LARGE.jpg.52201fdfa71493664bab097c32e52611.jpg

Note: It's Disney California Adventure now. Not Disney's California Adventure.

Note: It's Disney California Adventure now. Not Disney's California Adventure.

Wait...does this even make grammatical sense???

Am I the only one that thinks it sounds TERRIBLE?

I mean, how would these sound...

Disney Epcot

Disney The Lion King

Disney Wonderful World of Color

Knott Berry Farm

Paramount Great America

Universal Islands of Adventure

Why would it NOT be "Disney's" ???

This park is just a complete mess. It always has been, and I'm not convinced it ever won't be.

Edited by robbalvey