TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^ Good movies have better scores.

I am a show person, and I personally think this is a fantasmic killer. IMO fantasmic is better than illuminations, the fire works shows at any Disney park in the world, Aladin, the terrible florida fantasmic, all those thing because it has a clear story line, and I like live acting. However, if done right, besides the live acting, but with basic transitions to create a story line, water, fire, and color I think this will surpass the live actors I enjoy in Fantasmic. Honestly, if the rumored new scenes are being added to Fantasmic during the ROA draining I am going to do a show night, and see WOC and the later showing of Fantasmic.

The This summer already kicks Ass Ghost

What rumored show scenes? I haven't heard anything about that but I'm curious...

Although I do know they've really spruced up the scenes on the far side of the River. There's a lot more deer, landscaping and props to see from the Disneyland Railroad and soon the big boats.

I personally think that it is lacking a little, in storyline and in pyrotechnics. I much prefer Illuminations/Fantasmic to what I see in this. I love fountains, but in my opinion you can't make an entire evening spectacular out of fountains. I don't mean to sound negative, but this show just isn't speaking to me.

I am admittedly not very into shows. They are the very last reason I would ever visit a park. So maybe it's just my lack of excitement for this type of thing, but to me, it just looks like Fantasmic with a lot more water and no live action spots. The music is even very similar. I'm sorry, but the videos look like a whole lot of time and money to invest in shooting a lot of water into the air.

What rumored show scenes? I haven't heard anything about that but I'm curious...

Although I do know they've really spruced up the scenes on the far side of the River. There's a lot more deer, landscaping and props to see from the Disneyland Railroad and soon the big boats.

Hmmm, I cant find anything about rumored scenes anywhere, but I am sure I heard the rumor before. I took a train ride last friday, and all the new stuff is looking great. Sorry for false information guys, I seriously have no idea where I heard that, but I guess not if its not on mice chat and stuff.

I can't really say the video impressed me at all. But I'll hold off judgment until I see the entire show. I'm a fan of Disney for how well they theme their attractions, not much of a show person. I've never really thought that the fireworks and after-dark light parades were all that great in my few visits to the Disney parks. In fact, I found the parades more irritating than anything else, as they caused congestion on the midways in an already packed park. I really hope this doesn't have the same effect.

I don't know if it was posted before, but how big is the viewing area in regards to the surrounding midway?

I dont know school district/graduations schedules, but I do know I have a ferlow day on Monday, June 14th. It would be awesome to do an unfficial meet up. Also, we can get there at opening and try to get WOC fastpasses or however they are doing it, considering it will be three days after opening, but chances are better, cause its on a Monday. Anyone wanna meet up, the SFGAM crew has wprked out pretty well, and there are tons of us from So Cal. If anyone is interested respond to this thread, pm me, whatever, and we'll work everything else out.

The Have a Disney Day Ghost

THAT'S GONNA BE RAD! So excited to see this... and I can't say I've felt that about anything at DCA since Tower! I'm really stoked to see all of the changes around the park come into effect. So glad they're taking the time to do things right this time 'round!

I was looking through Youtube and found a video claiming to have the World of Color themesong. I don't know if this is the actual show soundtrack or not but it doesn't sound bad.

OH and by the way incase you're wondering this is what the original song sounded like.

I've only been to DCA once and it was this year.

In the construction timelapse of that promo, what is the projection of the hand-drawn Mickey face on California Screamin?

WoC.png.7eaabb89f392ad8d5df9002fe3e5268a.png

What was this?

To all the nay-sayers out there. Don't expect Fantasmic 2.0...don't expect Illuminations...these kinds of comparisons are completely irrelevant and damaging to the show that is being produced for DCA. World of Color will not be a new experience - the entire basis of it is a bunch of tightly synced movie-moment vignettes set in a watery environment. Ok, the story doesn't sound that innovative...but who wants innovative?

I've come to terms that World of Color is story-less and like a moth to a flame, I'm entranced by the velocity and the vibrancy of this watery rig. I haven't quite seen a fountain show as jaw-droppingly creative or nearly as exciting as World of Color - even by the really terrible youtube vids. I can't see the projections at all...and I can still get the feeling of the scene with just the grid fountains, water whips and blow pops. It's amazing how many textures they've been able to achieve with just water and nozzles.

Then I saw the Disneyblog promo - the depth of the projections moving into the 3-dimensional water field is going to make this show truly unique. It isn't going to be like watching a video on water...you're going to feel like it's there happening in front of you. Did you see how awesome that EAC effect looked!? Gah, that had me sold. That and they're using the Pines of Rome in the soundtrack...AND they're using music from the Hunchback of Notre Dame...one of the best rarely-used soundtracks of the Menken era of Disney Animation.

I think there will be plenty of cheese to go along with the more intense moments in the show...but hey, it's Disney. Even Illuminations has plenty of cringe-worthy moments in its soundtrack.

Here's to DCA finally getting a show worthy of the Disney name!

Al Lutz has updates

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al050410a.htm

-Current projections have soft openings starting sometime between May 12-18th

-Now there will be THREE shows a night, 9, 10:15, 11:30. (initial soft openings will start with one and be worked up to three)

-PP will close at 8pm, rest of park will be open till 10pm

-New "Festival of Color" holding area in Hollywood backlot to hold the two prior shows.

According to that Al Lutz update, DCA managers continue to be married to the idea of closing half of the park to accommodate the new show. Paradise Pier is the only area that's received a work-over to this point, far from complete at that, meaning there's no additional capacity elsewhere yet. I think I'll avoid that park entirely come evening time, as it promises to be an over-crowded nightmare with very little to do other than wait in line.

I still think its crazy to deliberately sacrifice capacity for a show, but the bottom line will tell the true tale. This might be just the hype bonanza this hobbled park needs to attract the GP. I don't know if those recently released theme park attendance numbers are anywhere close to accurate, but if they are, Disneyland pulled in 10 million more visitors than DCA last year.

The other "umph" gut punch is Lutz's claim that the viewing area designed with a 9,000 guest capacity can only handle 6k. Holy engineering goof-up! Let's hope that Lutz is wrong and not the other way around.

Edited by PAL

Part of me wants to laugh at that rumor, but part of me wonders if that is correct. Figuring out how many people an area can hold is a simple math problem: total square footage/whatever OC fire inspectors say is the minimum amount of space each person takes up (LA County is 4).

Part of me wants to laugh at that rumor, but part of me wonders if that is correct. Figuring out how many people an area can hold is a simple math problem: total square footage/whatever OC fire inspectors say is the minimum amount of space each person takes up (LA County is 4).

Usually theoretical vs actual numbers are always off, but by 3,000 is totally unacceptable. I imagine some idiot didn't account for benches, handicap areas, and the curved nature of the area. I also think they were hoping for more people around the side and behind the seating area.

I don't like the idea of closing the park 1 1/2 hours before the last show (park closing at 10:00 - last show at 11:30). That seems absolutely insane to me. I don't get why they are so against keeping this park open. Just close it at midnight and be done with it.

Got some pics of the new park/construction last Friday and I thought to myself that it didn't seem like it would hold 9,000 people.

1.jpg.51ed52f41c4857be1c0a9ad2aa331538.jpg

Paradise Park ... it does look nice.

2.jpg.8a69a30c12f71894c1c2fece7e1bc8f6.jpg

3.jpg.01c5b280d9311cd7885827bcbf42b656.jpg

4.jpg.067378fa8e2f50a8c7d694112c4ea6fa.jpg

5.jpg.5b6ce7fef25da94acb23835c3cb7dc62.jpg

The water play area

6.jpg.0e833084ee2b13a867bf7fe56f26c54d.jpg

7.jpg.7922d6283d17414274e96abb1e69ccbf.jpg

8.jpg.aa8c58bda9f24bcd8540758731b47003.jpg

9.jpg.606b3aee13fd19b8b7c02ff1100e9c6a.jpg

11.jpg.4c64850e164addbfdbddea04df398b3f.jpg

This looked like it would give the best view. High enough, away from the water, etc.

12.jpg.428bc700d08b58b96fdb01170e392127.jpg

Would have been nice if they could do something with the speakers though.

10.jpg.e142549bfb1be3eec1eb2172714284f0.jpg

Little Mermaid steel work appears to be done. Crane is gone.

13.jpg.a904f7e5923a9364ee8c7530de7be431.jpg

14.jpg.c034523ef2f08acabc66931448d94761.jpg

Entrance to Cars Land is going up fast as well.

^ The Little Mermaid structure seems to have gone up really fast!

I'm definitely no expert on park operations, but I don't get why they need to close the park so far in advance of the last show. I know currently they don't have enough numbers to keep the park open, but isn't the whole point of this show to attract people (and disperse some of the crowds at DL)? If they close at 10:00, people seeing the 9:00 show who might have wanted to stay in DCA afterwards won't be able to for more than 30 minutes...and they'll probably go back to DL. If they have to close PP, fine, but why not leave Hollywood & the Grizzly/Soarin areas open?

Three shows seems like it will be very chaotic, possibly even more so than the Fantasmic/fireworks/Fantasmic set up that DL has. Should be interesting to see how it all works out--hoping for the best because I do want this show & DCA to do well.

Edited by tinkerbell

I really don't understand the logic behind all of this. To me, it seems like it would make more sense to have the shows at 9, 10, and 11. They would close Paradise Pier down at 8 and leave the rest of the park open until 11 when the final show starts. I just really don't get the point of having a show that plays three times a night have two showings that don't even start until after the park closes. Oh well, I guess I just will be avoiding that park after 6 from now on. No more nighttime Screamin' .

I really hope the general public likes this show and thinks it is worth the massive time investment it will take. From everything I've heard, you will be using around three hours of your day for this one show. I'm certainly not planning to do that. If they ran this like they do with Fantasmic, I'd go see it but I would never invest more than an hour in any amusement park show. This one really doesn't interest me that much, and I'm guessing there is a reason most water shows are around five minutes, not twenty two. From the videos it just seems like it would get repetitive. Nevertheless, I'm sure people will love it because it's Disney, and I certainly hope they do. If this show fails, I could see it killing DCA completely.

Nice pics! 9000 people looks like quite a stretch actually. And the reserved spaces mentioned in the article wipe out the best spots, with 1500 bad spots by Golden Zephyr. Talk about a flawed plan from the beginning. Imo, the model should have been more similar to DHS Fantasmic. A place to sit down in an themed auditorium. At least that way they could have a more realistic seat count instead of being suprised by a 1/3 capacity loss estimate less than 2 months to open.