TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

You know World of Color was one of the things to the DCA expansion that I was accually not really looking forward to. But watching that promo video, I actually really want to see now as soon as I can even though Im not expecting it to be as great as disney is pushing it as. To bad Im only a So Cal Select passholder because I would be counting on it showing on Jun 14, 15, 21, and the 22. Or else I would have to wait til the end of August.

So after being around the lagoon this afternoon with them testing the fountains at nowhere near full strength...It's pretty obvious the show is going to become a water attraction when there is even slight gusts of wind. They're going to have to paint the front as a "splash zone!"

...Or just cancel the show.

It's pretty obvious the show is going to become a water attraction when there is even slight gusts of wind. They're going to have to paint the front as a "splash zone!"

I was thinking the same thing when I was walking throught the viewing area for the first time. And we all know how much the disney fans love to get wet expecially at night.

I know this is their "sizzle reel" so it's supposed to make people go "wow", and it's probably the best thing I've seen to date on the show, since it's an actually produced spot instead of just some YouTube video from someone who happened to be able to video the show, but for some reason it just still doesn't get me *that* excited.

And I'm still banking on those YouTube videos being more of an actual represenation of the show than this video which is designed to get people excited.

--Robb "I've seen a lot of really awesome trailers for some very bad movies!" Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

So after being around the lagoon this afternoon with them testing the fountains at nowhere near full strength...It's pretty obvious the show is going to become a water attraction when there is even slight gusts of wind. They're going to have to paint the front as a "splash zone!"

...Or just cancel the show.

I was there also, we were watching the testing cause the pixar play parade was going on, so my friends and I were watching them testing around that point also. I agree though, it is gonna get pretty cold pretty quick, especially considering that even fantasmic can get you pretty wet when its windy just die to all the mist. The show looks really impressive. Since I have never been an AP holder when they were doing a ride or show I was wondering if they announce dress rehearsal dates, or if its based on luck. If they announce it that would be awesome to go see as my pass expires in June, although I am getting a new one as either a graduation or a birthday present in July, but I would rather see it before the crowds flock over.

They never will never announce technical rehearsals in advance. The only announcement will be passholder previews. Outside of that, you'll need to find a cast member friend for their preview (which is usually prior to passholder previews), or get lucky.

...And good luck beating the crowds. As soon as word gets out its testing, annual passholders will over run the park.

They never will never announce technical rehearsals in advance. The only announcement will be passholder previews. Outside of that, you'll need to find a cast member friend for their preview (which is usually prior to passholder previews), or get lucky.

...And good luck beating the crowds. As soon as word gets out its testing, annual passholders will over run the park.

First time I agree with you in this thread! The only time Disney has ever announced soft openings or technical rehearsals was with Mission:Space, done in order to open it up early for the late summer crowds, yet still hide behind the fact it wasn't completely done and working and to avoid a Test Track like problem.

I'm willing to bet there will be CM previews in late May to test crowd control, technical rehearsals shortly after they implement any changes to show or crowd control, official AP previews, and then the big press unveiling on June 11th.

I wasn't really expecting much, the leaked you tube videos made it look boring, but the promo reel has me a bit more excited. I wish I could be closer so I could actually see this. I wonder when it will open at WDW?

^While I do admit this show looks fantastic and better than what I imagined, EPCOT has more than enough of a show in the form of Illuminations. I would never want to see this at EPCOT as that'd probably mean the end of Illuminations, and if it didn't mean the end of Illuminations, it'd be completely upstaged!

^Well isn't the pond at Epcot a lot bigger? So perhaps they had a lot more room to work with. To me it seems they've spent a lot of time and effort on this, as almost any update i've seen there are people in wetsuits or on boats adjusting things and working on things basically since day one. And there are a lot of cool water effects that appeal to me, even if theres a limit to what you can do with water. Dut I do wish they didn't expand the viewing area as it seems it took a lot of the size of the pond away (which is something I liked). I do like the videos I've been seeing though, and while they might not be consistent from show to show (as Jew stated earlier, its seems weather is going to play a big part on whether projections are clear, or if the entire boardwalk viewing gets soaked!) I think its very cool that DCA is getting something like this, something that's so close to home! It may not be the best, but then I have something to look forward to in going to WDW- Epcot!

Plus there's a lot of other cool things going on around the park too, cars land looks like its going to be cool, and Hollywood Studios and everything is going to be getting a facelift. So this may be a "main attraction" for now, but in a couple years its just going to be the icing on the cake! Or the cake. Whichever way you want to look at it.

I'm going to wait until I see it in person, but I haven't seen a lot of these water/light shows so I don't have anything to say "this sucks because the one at ________ is so much better." So that might sway my opinion. Who knows, I'm going in with an open mind regardless of what videos I've seen!

^You could fit most of DCA in EPCOT's lagoon. It's 40 acres.

^^Illuminations is over 10 years old. I'm guessing an update is probably in the works. I just hope its not dancing water and mist screen projections.

Edited by Jew

I like what I'm seeing so far. There was a video posted somewhere that a guy filmed from his balcony staying at one of the Disneyland resort hotels. The show was a lot longer than I thought a dancing fountains show could ever be, but I don't think the jazz reel they just released shows the best of what I saw from that. There seemed to be a good solid minute or two of the entire lake turning into fire from what that video showed. They might have to put a splash zone and no one with excessive hair product zone for that first row. Either way it looks good from what I can see, but it'll probably impact you differently up close and personal.

I know this is their "sizzle reel" so it's supposed to make people go "wow", and it's probably the best thing I've seen to date on the show, since it's an actually produced spot instead of just some YouTube video from someone who happened to be able to video the show, but for some reason it just still doesn't get me *that* excited.

And I'm still banking on those YouTube videos being more of an actual represenation of the show than this video which is designed to get people excited.

--Robb "I've seen a lot of really awesome trailers for some very bad movies!" Alvey

I have been a member of this TPR site for years and travelled to many parts of the world with you Robb. I must say that for the most park I strongly agree with most every comment you make on this site...until now. I am afraid I must finally take umbridge (thank you Steve C for that lovely word) with you. This looks Amazing! Looks like someone needs to look deep inside themselves and find that Disney child again.

--Shane "still picking his jaw up off the floor and I am not even a show guy" Huish

My god that song is awful! The more I see of this the less thrilled I am to see the show, maybe I just need to stop watching and wait till I see the show in person.

Did I say how awful that song was!

I have been a member of this TPR site for years and travelled to many parts of the world with you Robb. I must say that for the most part I strongly agree with most every comment you make on this site...until now. I am afraid I must finally take umbridge (thank you Steve C for that lovely word) with you. This looks Amazing! Looks like someone needs to look deep inside themselves and find that Disney child again.

--Shane "still picking his jaw up off the floor and I am not even a show guy" Huish

Hey it's cool. I might really end up loving it. But having been working at Disney when Light Magic was going on, for some reason this show is just bringing me eerie flashbacks. Not sure why. Trust me, as someone who visits Disney parks more than any other park chain all over the world, I hope more than anyone that the show ends up impressing people!

--Robb "We had some wicked impressive sizzle reels for Light Magic too..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Illuminations is over 10 years old. I'm guessing an update is probably in the works. I just hope its not dancing water and mist screen projections.

The closest we got to an Illuminations ROE replacement was "Sky Dance" which is now shelved or cancelled. Last word is that there are no replacements in the works right now.

I cannot see a WoC type show taking place at Epcot. AK on the other hand.......

Well from what I've seen so far, I'm pretty impressed by this show. I am still holding out judgement on the music score for it until I hear the full thing. I'm sure I'll end up buying that soundtrack too lol.

The rest of the score is classic Disney music recorded by 100 piece orchestra at Abbey Road. They're not messing around.

I actually like the poppy "World of Color" song in the video. For those worried, they actually start the show with the retro version of the tune.