TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^Well I agree, but at the same time it would kinda suck having the pier close for 2-3 hours every night just for the show. I'm really looking forward to the show but at the same time, is it really worth it/feasible to close down a third of the park for one show? IMO, no it's not. Whoever the guy is that seems to be the root of all of the problems (the one who's designing the show or whatever) I think needs to live with the fact that maybe the show isn't going to be viewed perfectly as he intended. Perhaps some lights around the back side of the pier will be dimmed and not turned off and they won't close Midway Mania. I don't think that would be that big of a deal and shouldn't really detract from the viewing of the show. I can understand them closing Screamin and the Fun Wheel, but the whole area? That's just overkill.

Oh well, we shall see what Disney really does when it opens. I for one just hope it's a good show.

While there is no "designated seating area" for the Fireworks at Disneyland you ABSOULETLY CAN FIND A PLACE TO SIT DOWN AND WATCH THE FIREWORKS!!!

Robb,

You must be new to this board, because sitting is expressly banned during any fireworks or future fountain show at Disneyland. I suggest you reread chapter 6 line 3 of the Guest Right of Entry Document.

Chris Con

^ LOL!

I can understand them closing Screamin and the Fun Wheel, but the whole area? That's just overkill.

I don't even understand Screamin' and the Wheel. I mean, at a park when you only have 3 E-Ticket attractions - Soarin', Tower, and Screamin'...you don't close down 1/3 of your parks top attractions for a show. I just don't buy that.

For some reason, call me optimistic, but I think Disney has it all figured out.

Again, my comments are not only based on my personal opinions, but my personal experience.

You might be right.

But Disney has also had their share of flops over the years. Superstar Limo, Light Magic, Rocket Rods, hell you can almost consider the entire of Disney's California Adventure to be a failure.

And I'm not trying to be a pessimist on this, it's just that, if everything I've read is correct...something doesn't seem to add up.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I don't even understand Screamin' and the Wheel. I mean, at a park when you only have 3 E-Ticket attractions - Soarin', Tower, and Screamin'...you don't close down 1/3 of your parks top attractions for a show. I just don't buy that.

Yeah that's true I didn't think of that, but do you think if they left it open if they could dim the lights in the tunnels and on the ride. That's really the only part I could see as being a distraction, now that I think of it, it's not a very loud ride even with the audio on board plus people viewing WOC are going to be blasted with sound the whole time so it wouldn't be noticeable. So I take that back, I do agree that Screamin' shouldn't be closed.

I just both spoke with Mr. Iger and he confirmed both Mickeys Fun Wheel and California Screamin' will both be open during World of Color, but only standing will be allowed, so as not to detract from other guests' experiences.

Wait, you have inside contact with the big man?!??! My mind was just blown.

-Brandon "Just hoping that this isn't a flop" Tisor

My theory is that they will not close the back 1/3 of the park. Instead what I think they will do is "close" off the sections of the Pier from people who want to squat/camp alongside the Wheel and Screamin' to get the back view of WOC. Keep the area less congested for people who want to hit the attractions and wouldn't care about the fountain show. At least that is my hope.

- They will be using the Grizzly FP machines in the morning to give out "Showpasses" for each of the 2 or 3 shows per day. Why they are using Grizzly during the summer is beyond me.

This, if true, is one of the things I really don't get. It just seems like a recipe for disaster, especially if that means they won't be giving out Grizzly FP in the morning (which is definitely what it sounds like). I don't know how these things work, but couldn't they just build separate FP machines for WOC? Because using Grizzly's seems like it's going to confuse/frustrate guests.

Reading this thread makes me feel sorry for anyone working DCA crowd control or guest relations this summer. That being said, I'm still excited for this show, although I have no intention of waiting 2-3 hours beforehand to see it.

- They will be using the Grizzly FP machines in the morning to give out "Showpasses" for each of the 2 or 3 shows per day. Why they are using Grizzly during the summer is beyond me.

This, if true, is one of the things I really don't get. It just seems like a recipe for disaster, especially if that means they won't be giving out Grizzly FP in the morning (which is definitely what it sounds like). I don't know how these things work, but couldn't they just build separate FP machines for WOC? Because using Grizzly's seems like it's going to confuse/frustrate guests.

Reading this thread makes me feel sorry for anyone working DCA crowd control or guest relations this summer. That being said, I'm still excited for this show, although I have no intention of waiting 2-3 hours beforehand to see it.

Grizzly is the closest FP machines on that side of the lagoon, and if it's anything like how they've done similar FP distributions, they'll split the machines, half WoC half Grizzly. Plus who really runs first thing in the morning to get FP for Grizzly and not ToT, Soarin, or Screamin?

^ During the summer ... a LOT of people. Trust me.

I know a lot of times during the summer we would get Grizzly FP's first, ride Grizzly, then go do Paradise Pier stuff, go back and use the Grizzly FP's and get even more Grizzly FP's for later.

But I think testtrack is right, they will most likely split them between WOC of Grizzly. I think there are only like 5 or 6 FP machines for Grizzly though. You would think the Mullholland Madness FP machines would be the better choice.

I'm starting to worry this test show is going to be the official show. Which sucks, it has bad flow, no Alice in Wonderland, no "lil squirt", bad Pirates segment, etc. I hope Lassetter sees it and allows them to put the stuff Iger wanted out back in...

They will have the stuff, I am almost sure of it. They even have the Alice paper cut outs in Blue Sky Cellar. Also, I kind of just doubt thats it cause the presentation seemed like it pretty much had everything together.

I watched the show from the video posted and I can say that I am impressed, and I am not. It looks great, but it seems to be 25 minutes of the same thing over and over again. I think that closing down the major attractions for this is a mistake. The park already has limited attractions and to take away some of the E-tickets during summer just will cause confusion.

I worked at EPCOT and at one point, all the future world attractions closed at 7pm. It kept traffic flowing in Showcase and balanced off the need for staffing. However - guest complaints were always high, and this changed when things were kept open longer. I think DCA will have numerous complaints over this. Just my 2 cents worth.

David

I watched the show from the video posted and I can say that I am impressed, and I am not. It looks great, but it seems to be 25 minutes of the same thing over and over again.

This was exactly my take on it. It's like I said, fast forward the video to about the 18 minute mark and if you watch from there, it's kind of a cool show...but that's like 5 minutes worth of show!

I know to some people the sprinklers are impressive. And they are the first time you see them go OMFG high. But I don't think it carries a 25 minute show.

--Robb

^ But Disney nerds are different from coaster nerds. I want to say I have waited about an hour to thirty minutes at least 45 or so times since I got my pass two years ago. I am a fan of the show, so I wait, even though I really only care about the Dragon Battle and Heffalump sequences. I also wait for Aladdin and the fireworks like half of the time I go to the park, yet I have seen every show at least 10 times. I dont know why, I am just a Disney nerd, so I will wait, and I guarantee no matter what we say this show is gonna get praise just cause its a Disney park.

I know to some people the sprinklers are impressive.

This applies to me!

I'm in the same boat as the ghost. I've seen the current fireworks show at Disneyland (Remember...) too many times to count. To the point where I've pretty much memorized every shell, every line, etc. And still, I'll wait sometimes up to an hour and a half for a spot in front of the castle. I can't explain why, but it's something to do with the 'magic' of it. It sounds kind of corny, but I totally 'buy into' the "Disney magic". I guess for me, it's more the fact that it's something Disney produced, which automatically makes me interested. There's always the factor that I'll be disappointed by World of Color, but I know no matter what, I'll still really enjoy it because it's, well, Disney. And it's "magical". Hahaha, I'm such a Disney nerd.

I agree with that. I mean the electrical parade wasn't THAT great, but it was disney , so people still love it. Put the electrical parade anywhere else and people would be tired of it in a season. Its friggin parade floats with lightbulbs on it. It reminds me of a small town parade where they put christmas lights on the farm tractors. I still want to see WOC, but once is enough for me. Of course, my kids will probably want to see it every time they go. But, as with anything involving kids, i wonder if the shows too long to hold their interest.

^ But Disney nerds are different from coaster nerds. I want to say I have waited about an hour to thirty minutes at least 45 or so times since I got my pass two years ago. I am a fan of the show, so I wait, even though I really only care about the Dragon Battle and Heffalump sequences. I also wait for Aladdin and the fireworks like half of the time I go to the park, yet I have seen every show at least 10 times. I dont know why, I am just a Disney nerd, so I will wait, and I guarantee no matter what we say this show is gonna get praise just cause its a Disney park.

Yes, the Disney nerds will show up in droves for this, as they do for everything. But it's not just the Disney nerds who camp out for Fantasmic or the Fireworks, the General Public does this as well. If the General Public doesn't watch the show (and start paying to go inside DCA) then it's not a success.

The real indicator is going to be in the next couple of years if they stop having the 2-fer deal. I'm sure it will still be around next year, but Mermaid opens next spring, then the front entrance stuff will be done and Carsland opens in 2012. If they are STILL having the 2-fer in 2012/2013 then it's a wasted billion dollars.

http://tinyurl.com/y3j4dqt

Lights, water, fire, music and animation will come together like never before on June 11 when “World of Color” makes its dazzling debut at Disney’s California Adventure park. You will get to experience some of your favorite Disney stories – from the charming to the adventurous – in a magical, new way.

Many of you, as readers of the Disney Parks Blog, have been following our documentation of the development of this playful, nighttime water spectacular. I’ve loved reading your comments and sharing in the enthusiasm for this highly anticipated show, and we want you to be among the first to see some up-close footage we recently captured during a rehearsal.

Enjoy the video and a special introduction from the man behind the magic, Steve Davison from Walt Disney Imagineering Creative Entertainment.

As you saw in the video, the show is brilliantly choreographed as it combines nearly 1,200 powerful fountains, popular Disney music, larger-than-life projections, lasers, fire, fog, surround sound and stunning images. On top of that, the magnificent, moving fountains are capable of reaching enormous heights — from 30 to 200 feet -– while maintaining their dazzling colors.

As I’m sure you know from reading the Disney Parks Blog, “World of Color” is a major milestone in the multi-year expansion of Disney’s California Adventure park.

“World of Color” debuts this year as part of Summer Nightastic! –- a lineup of exciting, after-dark entertainment at the Disneyland Resort. Summer Nightastic! will run from June 11 through August 29, and you’ll be able to catch “World of Color” year-round at Paradise Bay.

Now that you’ve had a glimpse of the show, what do you think about “World of Color” so far?

So, it appears that riders won't be sitting up high like on Space Mountain at WDW, and will still use seat belts like now, only they'll use a different type of buckle. Also, I would hope that the seats will have some sort of padding.

Otherwise, these look really cool. Are they all going to be the same color or will the color vary from car to car?

Eric