TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I'm still not impressed with anything I've seen in any of those videos so far.

And anything that makes me begin to *almost* think it's impressive, I just feel like I've seen it somewhere else before.

When I first saw Fantasmic! and Illuminations those shows made me go "WOW!" but nothing I've seen so far has done that. Granted these are just videos and it's impossible to pass judgement, but this show reminds me a lot more of the DisneySea show BraviSEAmo! mixed with the Bellagio Fountains. Neither one of those which I found very exciting.

I dunno, maybe my opinion will change when and if I see the show in person, but I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to get psyched for this show.

--Robb "I feel like it's Light Magic all over again..." Alvey

Oh, yeah, and I forgot to mention - the fire effect? It's dumb. It's basically the EXACT same effect as BraviSEAmo! where it's cool for a moment, but when you see the same effect over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again... C'mon!

At least the fire barge in Illuminaions, they change it up with the size of the flames, the fireworks around it, the grounded explosions on the water, etc, etc...

And the fire effect in Fantasmic while it doesn't last very long it's EXTREMLY effective.

I feel like that fire effect in WoC was put in there so they can say "We have fire" and that's about it. It's not that impressive. It's repetative. And doesn't really seem to add much to the overall show.

I'm really hoping that video is not representative of the actual length of the show. I forget who said it, but that 22 minuntes is a VERY long time to watch a bunch of colored fountains that after the first couple minutes of the show (at least what I've seen on the video) don't really seem to change THAT much throughout the next 20 minutes.

IMO, scroll through to about the 19 minute mark of the video, watch about 2 minutes of it, and you've pretty much seen all the World of Color has to offer...at least based on that video.

And if that ends up being the final show that goes live...wow.

Light Magic 2010!

--Robb "Lots of time and money doesn't always result in amazing...lots of time and money went into Light Magic too..." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey

Here ya go...the EXACT same fire cannons effect from WoC in BraviSEAmo! at Tokyo DisneySea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7S5_x_fdM0

Done much, MUCH better than what I see in the WoC video...but still repetitive and not as impressive at Illuminations or Fantasmic, IMO.

And even though I didn't find BraviSEAmo! that impressive either, this show was a TON better than the videos I've seen of WoC so far.

Edited by robbalvey

^That has no bearing on Robb's opinion of the show. Obviously a guest who isn't as well traveled as Robb (or myself for that matter) is going to have a different opinion...but that certainly change how we see the show!

Well remember WoC isn't done yet, and most people who go to DCA have never been to Tokyo Disney.

Here's the reality of the situation, dude. I've worked for Disney on and off almost all my life in several different kinds of positions. Everything from a lowly fry cook at the Tomorrowland Terrace to the Executive Producer of some of their highest grossing video game projects ever working directly with the Disney Feature Animation.

That being said, I have seen a TON of "work in progress" Disney projects and based on the estimated deadline of when this project is supposed to be complete, I'd put money on it that the show we see in the video is 95% of what you'll see on opening day.

My comments, while yes, based on a video of a show that isn't done, are ALSO based on my more than 20 years of experience having worked with Disney.

And you're right, most people who go to DCA probably haven't ever been to Tokyo DisneySea. But your comment is meaningless when it comes to the quality of the final show. If it turns out this show is a dud, like Light Magic was, or Superstar Limo, or Rocket Rods, no one will have needed to visit Tokyo DisneySea to tell the powers that be the show is a lemon. I understand what point you are attempting to make, but it's totally inaccurate.

World of Color will succeed or fail on it's own merits. I'm not claiming any opinion as to which I think the outcome will be, however I know the show doesn't appeal to *me* at all. And who knows, that might also change by the time the show opens.

But I wouldn't put money on that.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

Honestly, my biggest gripe about the show ... Why did they have to re-record all of the songs with stupid Disney Channel stars.

Do I think the show is going to have the impact of Fantasmic or Illuminations. No. But it's something that is needed in the park for sure. DCA has always been a better park at night than it is during the day. It absolutely looks better at night than the day time as well.

Which brings me to another issue I have ... because Steve "do what I say or I'll walk" Davidson is insisting that ALL of Paradise Pier be shut down for an hour before the show it's going to inherently make the park NOT as good at night as it should be.

And you KNOW they are probably going to close down the Cove Bar as well. Wouldn't want people able to enjoy a nice beverage and see the show without a hassle now would you?

I'll see the show, I'm sure I'll like the show. But honestly, I'm hoping that maybe the show will make the Fantasmic crowds less so we can enjoy some evenings on the West Side of Disneyland without 10,000 people in the way.

Which brings me to another issue I have ... because Steve "do what I say or I'll walk" Davidson is insisting that ALL of Paradise Pier be shut down for an hour before the show it's going to inherently make the park NOT as good at night as it should be.

This right here is also insanely f**king stupid. Probably one of the dumbest thing I've seen a theme park do. Not quite as dumb as Six Flags Magic Mountain announcing that Mr. Six's Dance Coaster will have a 42" height restriction, but REALLY REALLY CLOSE!

This show will make me NOT want to visit DCA at night...AT ALL.

I dunno, but I just have this gut feeling that World of Color has epic fail written all over it. Not sure why, I just do.

--Robb

^ It's probably because every other show they have tried to put in at DCA has been an epic fail. And really, the only "successful" shows they have had at Disneyland since Fantasmic debuted have been the 50th Anniversary Fireworks, the Seasonal Fireworks, The Lion King parade and BLAST! (which wasn't even their show).

And Joey, yeah, you are probably right about the cove being a premium viewing area. Too bad it wouldn't just be a 2 drink minimum, I could handle that.

I highly doubt people are going to like the park closing the best rides for two shows of WoC when I am sure that only seeing the show once will be enough.

robbs angry at fountains, i should be too, i fell out of a tree house and hit my head on one of those old steel sprinklers, damn water squirting devices, i think closing the pier is ridiculous, i mean i can understand turning off a majority of the lights, but not everybody wants to see some fountains, i think the show itself has alot of good elements, it seemed way to long, but im thinking they will edit it down or punch it up based on the feedback they get, and as far as whether its better than this or that, its only got to be good enough to compete with fantasmic, i mean they are basically trying stop the mass exodus from the park every night

So I learned something yesterday...I thought World of Color was this brand new show, imageneered off a new idea.

I had no idea that it was some old school Disney Show on TV?!!??

I had completely forgot about that show till you mentioned it. When I was younger I remember watching several of the shows episodes, eventually I grew sick of them.

For those who don't know about the show here is it's intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kBBVcgvMZU

I knew I heard the song somewhere..

Edit: Just found one of my favorite episodes from when I watched the show

I remember watching several of the shows episodes, eventually I grew sick of them.

Funny...this is much like my prediction of the DCA show!

--Robb

Lol your such a hater

Not at all. I just don't look at everything through rose colored glasses. I'm being realistic. I've been around enough of these projects in my lifetime to be able to formulate a fairly good educated guess as to the outcome of the project. Could I be wrong? Sure. Could I end up loving it? Sure.

But I'm very rarely wrong when it comes to things like this.

Remember, I'm the guy who told Elissa "Grab as much Hard Rock Park stuff as you can because this place ain't going to be around long" when everyone else was singing the parks praises.

I'm the one who said "Geauga Lake won't be around in 5 years" and everyone else told me I was insane.

It's not like Harry Potter where that new land doesn't appeal to me one bit either, but I'm absolutely saying that is going to be a HUGE SUCCESS. If I was a "hater" I'd be hating on everything I'm not interested in. I'm not doing that. But I do think that this show is being totally over hyped, doesn't look anywhere NEAR as interesting as many other shows Disney has produced, and I have a feeling the public is going to feel the same way.

Just look at the mixed reaction already to the show in this forum. That right there should tell you something. Not only am I not interested in this show, but it does seem like quite a few other people share that same sentiment. I literally have ZERO INTEREST in even seeing this show. Whereas at least with Harry Potter, while I'm not interested in the slightest about the brand, I'd at least like to see how it all came together.

I'm telling you now, I don't think this show is going to go down as well as the park hopes. I could be totally wrong, but I just don't think people are going to want to sit through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers... at least not more than once....

--Robb "Granted, I didn't think I'd like Toy Story Mania, but I do, so who knows..." Alvey

^And that is why people like you and respect the site. You are completely honest, not sucking up and kissing ass to park presidents, and are willing to admit when you're wrong (Toy Story Mania).

Love you sweetie!

I absolutly agree with you robb. I have a gut feeling this show is going to be an epic failure based on all the hype it has gotten. Not that it would be a bad show, just that it won't be as great as alot of people hope it to believe. I try to explain it to some of my disney friends and they think I'm crazy, and then they tell me not to judge the show until I see it live. And I give them the same response in that, I think they shouldn't say it is going to be the "best nightime show ever" till they see it live.

^And that is why people like you and respect the site. You are completely honest, not sucking up and kissing A$$ to park presidents, and are willing to admit when you're wrong (Toy Story Mania).

Love you sweetie!

Okay, seriously, how is it hard NOT to like you and Robb?

I've been a member at dozens of coaster fan sites over the past few years, and this is the only one that I religiously check daily! That right there says something, and I feel that it is the realism of this site that makes it so genuine.

Anyways, back to WoC talk! I can't really vouch my opinion of a show like this, as I've really only seen Illuminations (which was awesome, except for the freakishly tall Brazilian tourists in front of me), so I'll just have to wait and see how it turns out.

Toy Story Mania is nothing more than a ride through video game. It shouldn't be relevant or entertaining. Video games are everywhere, something to spend hour after hour playing at home (and putting money in Robb's pocket). So I told myself while it was under construction. Somehow it transcends - it won me over too.

WOC? I haven't watched the video. I don't have high expectations, so why spoil what little novelty it might offer via an internet preview? I can predict this much - watching all that water shot high into the air's going to induce the potty dance in a lot of kids (some not so little).

I could be totally wrong, but I just don't think people are going to want to sit through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers... at least not more than once....

That brings us to the other thing ... it's not just "sitting through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers" ...

A: It's STANDING through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers

B: It's STANDING through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers after you have been standing in the amphitheatre waiting for 30-45 minutes prior to the show starting

C: It's STANDING through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers after you have been standing in the amphitheatre waiting for 30-45 minutes prior to the show starting after they have you queuing up for up to 2 hours prior to the show

D: It's STANDING through 22 minutes of colored sprinklers after you have been standing in the amphitheatre waiting for 30-45 minutes prior to the show starting after they have you queuing up for up to 2 hours prior to the show in addition to having to get to the park early in the morning to get a "Showpass"

And this is coming from somebody who's actually excited for the show. But I'm not excited enough to go through all of that to see it in it's first few weeks.

Gregg "Now if I get an opportunity to see it without that hassle (like with some friends at the DVC wing of the Grand Cal) then I'm there" C.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait....

There isn't any "sitting" area like there is for Fantasmic or Illuminations? Why do you have to stand?

And what do you mean by the whole amphitheater and queue thing?

Can you not just "walk up and stop and watch the show" ???

I'm not sure I understand this.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

^Nope, they are rumored to be doing a fastpass like system for this show (at least at first) and they're implementing standing room only to allow for more people to squeeze into the amphitheater since they expect the show is going to be so popular.

And regardless of the stupid rules, I'm still excited for this!