TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I assume this means the height restriction will go up as well?

<>

My guess is that it will. Seeing that the kid would have to ride alone, I'd expect it to rise to maybe 40 inches. Thankfully my little sister got the credit on the last trip. I'm glad to see something new on the tracks, but can they PLEASE make it smoother? That thing is rough as hell.

Never, the roughness is the best part of the ride. Also, KT is my hero for getting the credit. I rode when I was 3 and was TERRIFIED of the yetti, I didnt ride again til I was like 9. It is now my favorite ride at Disneyland, even beating Indy just cause I can never memorize the layout.

I was terrified of the Matterhorn till I turned about 10.

Having ridden both WDW's Space Mountain and the Disneyland Matterhorn, I do find that the seating is more comfortable in Florida, but agree with Columbia that keeping riders seated on the floor of the sled as they currently are would maintain a more true feel of a real bobsled. (I've never ridden a real one, but would if I ever get the chance.)

On another forum, I mentioned that the top of the tunnels might have to be raised to prevent facial damage to riders. I seem to remember them doing some work like that awhile back, but haven't really taken notice during any of my rides in the last year or two.

Eric

I didn't think the new trains would see the light of day this soon, wow. Seems like they've been "in development" forever. Very cool though. Even the glimpse of them looks GREAT! More bobsled-like in their appearance than the previous generation.

Regarding the question about "smoothing out" the track, I've wondered that myself after riding. Is re-tracking on the Matterhorn even feasible? Could Vekoma, Intamin, or Mack accomplish this with the "plug & play" technique we've recently seen down south? Given the ride is custom built into the structure versus Space Mountain's surface enclosure, I'm curious if it's even an option (financially) for Disney.

I'm not sure if it's feasable or not, but could they weld off the the current track, and just somehow remake the track with just the tubes, and weld those back on? I know in areas, if not the whole ride, the track is covered by concrete/plaster whatever it is the Mtn is made of, so I'm not sure if a total full track replacement could work.

I'll second the statement that Matterhorn's "roughness" is what makes it such an amazing ride. It's the same thing that makes an old log flume fun - you're bouncing all over the place! You can't just sit back and relax on Matterhorn. You have to ride defensively, and that was fun! If I want to ride a smooth coaster, I'll go across the way to DCA and ride Screamin'. Here's to hoping that the ride experience isn't changed too much from the addition of new trains...

^ Thank you, lol. Also, to emphasize the fact that the roughness makes it fun the ride goes what... like 20 miles per hour? With the roughness I honestly feel like there are some insane parts of it that make it my favorite at Disney. For example, on the left side there are two very steep small drops that are just kind of there. They are not taken fast, but they are such a surprise and kind of a WTF moment. I also do not find matterhorn painful at all, it is slow enough where it is semi intense, but fast enough where it isnt boring to me.

Having ridden Matterhorn in October with the 'old style' trains, it was a bit odd that they did keep loading the cars with 'weight' in mind- my Partner and I were given a single car to ourselves, and they put two people in the back car. If anything, I found this quite weird, as the ride itself didn't really need to have all that balance put in different places- but it did make for a fun ride at night... hehehehehehe

The new cars look -awesome- despite the high back chairs, and the colours look amazing. I'm looking forward to trying them out next October.

all the youngsters saying how the rough is good and nostalgia, I'm almost 40, back hurts, I'm fat and matterhorn beats me up like nothing else, id ride ghostrider all day if it meant i didn't have to ride matterhorn, its so jerky and those short little drops feel like someones on my shoulders jumping up and down, i only ride when my back feels good, and then half the time i can hardly get out of the car, hope these cars have a little more support, used to love it when i was young, stood in line forever, but i dunno maybe I'm just old, oh and as far as the old seating and getting cozy with the one you love, after you been married awhile you don't always want your significant other laying on you breathing all your air, the cars look awesome, now i gotta man up and ride it, and renew my disney pass, first time i been excited about matterhorn in years

Hey Mainstreet Jake, thanks for Posting my pics and Videos.....Hi there Im Dave I just joined since I heard about this on mousewait, I know the admin from this site also goes on there, its all good....In regards to the new bobsleds they seem allot smoother than the old ones and the reason I say this is becuase they were cyling out the old ones then the new train and would announce where the new cars were in the ride up until stage 11 which was the last turn...so at stage 10 you could hear them comming down into the water and it was extreemly quit compared to the other cars that would go down before it....I watched about three cycles go down.....I will try and bring my flip tomorrow night and maybe get some better shots or pics...if you want to see more still shots of the carts I took about 4 tonight and they are on my twitter account and my twitter account name is the same ddmmunday the pic he also posted from last night was from me as well but retweeting by the admin from Mousewait.

all the youngsters saying how the rough is good and nostalgia, I'm almost 40, back hurts, I'm fat and matterhorn beats me up like nothing else, id ride ghostrider all day if it meant i didn't have to ride matterhorn, its so jerky and those short little drops feel like someones on my shoulders jumping up and down, i only ride when my back feels good, and then half the time i can hardly get out of the car, hope these cars have a little more support, used to love it when i was young, stood in line forever, but i dunno maybe I'm just old, oh and as far as the old seating and getting cozy with the one you love, after you been married awhile you don't always want your significant other laying on you breathing all your air, the cars look awesome, now i gotta man up and ride it, and renew my disney pass, first time i been excited about matterhorn in years

You've got a point... I am 18 and can handle pretty rough stuff. That being said I wont ride something like DejaVu and avoid ghostrider besides my one courtesy nightride somewhere near the front. Matterhorn does to me what a coaster should though, it throws you around. Also, I think if the ride was smoothed they would need to rework a lot of the layout considering some of the drops and turns are there due to the unique structure of the mountain. Can Matterhorn or Thunder Mountain ever be retracked? They are essentially the most terrain based coasters in the world simply because the terrain is made ccustom to go with the laytout perfectly. They would need to change parts of the mountain to refurb the matterhorn probably. For example, at least one of the death drops is there because if it was not you would be decapitated as you drop under a little ridge, I believe the one I am referring to is the second death drop on the left side. LEFT>>>>>>>>>RIGHT IMO! Or tomorrowland>>>>>Fantasyland for you non disney people.

oh and as far as the old seating and getting cozy with the one you love, after you been married awhile you don't always want your significant other laying on you breathing all your air,

Well that's not a very Disney attitude now, is it?

Regardless, I was more referring to innocent youth, which I have sadly lost as well.

Chris

I just wanted to start a new thread about this since I know my post would have gotten burried but

Hey Mainstreet Jake, thanks for Posting my pics and Videos.....Hi there Im Dave I just joined since I heard about this on mousewait, I know the admin from this site also goes on there, its all good....In regards to the new bobsleds they seem allot smoother than the old ones and the reason I say this is becuase they were cyling out the old ones then the new train and would announce where the new cars were in the ride up until stage 11 which was the last turn...so at stage 10 you could hear them comming down into the water and it was extreemly quit compared to the other cars that would go down before it....I watched about three cycles go down.....I will try and bring my flip tomorrow night and maybe get some better shots or pics...if you want to see more still shots of the carts I took about 4 tonight and they are on my twitter account and my twitter account name is the same ddmmunday the pic he also posted from last night was from me as well but retweeting by the admin from Mousewait. Glad too see that you found my pics and videos and were able to share them with everyone else, also glad that I have a new fourn to visit and enjoy.....Thanks Dave look forward to getting to know you all and also if you have an Iphone download the free app mousewait I love the fourm in there and no I dont work for them....

Edited by Moose

fist off i was just joking about my wife, really i was, so did i miss it or are these just being tested, or running ,or is there a date they are going to launch, are they just teasing us, is spiderman involved(spiderman vs the yeti, i wish), does anybody know, does anyone got motrin for after the ride

ddmunday - hey thanks dude! And I totally would have given you the cred for the tweeted photo, but I didn't know. :/

The new trains look really cool. I hope they stick around for a good while. My question is now: in the youtube video (posted it on the front page), the dude says "12 seater". He could be just a misinformed guest, or someone that knows something. Do you guys think they could hold 12? I know the weight of the sleds is a questionable topic, but don't you think Disney would want to keep that feel of riding tandem with someone? I'm not totally sure either way, seeing that both 6 and 12 rider capacities could be a possibility.

I'm still not impressed with anything I've seen in any of those videos so far.

And anything that makes me begin to *almost* think it's impressive, I just feel like I've seen it somewhere else before.

When I first saw Fantasmic! and Illuminations those shows made me go "WOW!" but nothing I've seen so far has done that. Granted these are just videos and it's impossible to pass judgement, but this show reminds me a lot more of the DisneySea show BraviSEAmo! mixed with the Bellagio Fountains. Neither one of those which I found very exciting.

I dunno, maybe my opinion will change when and if I see the show in person, but I haven't seen anything yet that makes me want to get psyched for this show.

--Robb "I feel like it's Light Magic all over again..." Alvey