TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

For the Bellagio, the fountains and nozzles just come out of the water for the show. After the show they just tuck under the surface of the water. I do not know what they do as far as maintenance, I would assume they could change the level of the lake for that. But think about what Joey said, there is so much going on for World of Color and for the Bellagio its just the fountains and white lights. It's not as technical as WOC is going to be, but the fountains at Bellagio run much more frequently. From 3PM-8PM they run ever 30 minutes, and from 8PM-Midnight they run every 15 minutes.

John

^^While I am not 100% sure, I believe that only the nozzles raise up, while the base remains submerged. Maintenance on the Bellagio is definitely done in the water by divers. This appears to be the first big fountain show where the mechanics are going to be raised so far out of the water.

IMO, I think that is going to end up being more trouble than it is worth. Adding a major variable like the platforms to what already promises to be a very high tech show just seems like it is asking for trouble. Bite the bullet, pay the extra money for a yearly draining of the lagoon for maintenance, and stick to what has proven to work so well with Fantasmic/Bellagio/Dubai.

But then again, the producers of this show are the same ones who snapped a animatronic dragons neck last year, whom also think it's a good idea to shut down California Screamin' for the show...

^^That's kinda my point too, what's really much more technical about this show then anything else that has already been done? The fountains don't look much different then what's used in Bellagio's (just more pretty colors); water screens have already been done before across the esplanade; so has fire (the revamped mirage volcano comes to mind); heck that was the main criticism for this show a few pages back! Like I mentioned the only thing that really hasn't been done before would be the chernazurg and maybe to some extent the domes, but even those don't seem to revolutionary and are being thoroughly tested now. Which brings us to the three main platforms and why I asked if Joey (or anybody really, I'm really curious) knew how the other large scale fountain shows worked as they also raise and lower the nozzles each performance.

Not to say this won't have hiccups though, I just don't see it being anything like Murphy the Dragon.

EDIT: Never mind then, Joey seemed to have answered that lol. I just hope it's not that big of a deal come actual show time.

Most of the maintenance on the Bellagio fountains is done without changing the level of the water. There are scuba divers who can go check under the water for any broken fountains or problems. If they need to replace a fountain, light, or other large piece, they have a little floating dock with a small crane that can easily pick up and lower heavy items.

^^It definitely won't be like Murphy...at least they could still run the show without Murphy. What's the backup plan if the platforms can't operate?

My point with all the stuff being old technology was that the show (from what we've seen so far) lacks that "OMG wow!!!" Moment because there's nothing that exciting about simply combining whats already out there into a more presentable package.

However, behind the scenes...I am sure that the hardware/software/programming/etc. to combine all these elements we've seen before is probably extremely impressive and high-tech.

I'm thinking the thing with the platforms has to do with more than just the maintenance. This isn't a straight fountain show, but combining the colors, fire, etc. I'm thinking that has more to do with it than anything.

And as far as I can tell, the entire platform won't be coming out of the water for each show, but will be just below water level.

I'm looking forward to it, but it's going to be such a P.I.T.A. to see it with the summer crowds it may be awhile before I decide to brave them.

The Fountains of Bellagio are broken into Several Sections about 20 Feet Long that can each be Raised Above the Water Line and have a Platform. I've personally seen a section raised about 6" above the waterline and Divers and Technicians working on it. After about an hour, they lowered it and tested each Nozzle and Laminar, before lowering the section and running that section through it's choreography.

WET Design does indeed manufacture their own Nozzles and Luminars, as does many other Companies. The Lagoon Memorial Interactive Fountain at Lagoon Park in Farmington, Utah, is a Great Example of a Project that involved several Different Companies. The Interactive Water Feature was Designed and Constructed by Lagoon, WET Design, VCBC, CEM, and Water Design, Inc., with a Show Control System by Crystal Fountains, Inc.

It's entirely possible that WDI Contracted with both WET Design, The Fountain People, and possibly others to Design and Construct World of Color.

Crap! I Don't know how to re-size this image. Sorry Mods.

1147295121_LagoonInteractiveFountain.jpg.70dd1ea24f59d0203b883fe0f9458637.jpg

Lagoon Interactive Fountain

I'm not liking that last picture at all. The turn leading into the straight away is unbanked. That means that it only has that small section, which includes a bump, to speed up. That supposed "airtime" hill doesn't look like it's gonna deliver. However, I could be totally wrong.

^ There are new pics on the various sites that show the white section making a complete u-turn and lining up with the other side of the banked turn so I think its just a temporary section that will allow them to test the ride vehicles. The white track also appears to not be attached to a true foundation unlike the previously installed track.

^^It definitely won't be like Murphy...at least they could still run the show without Murphy. What's the backup plan if the platforms can't operate?

My point with all the stuff being old technology was that the show (from what we've seen so far) lacks that "OMG wow!!!" Moment because there's nothing that exciting about simply combining whats already out there into a more presentable package.

However, behind the scenes...I am sure that the hardware/software/programming/etc. to combine all these elements we've seen before is probably extremely impressive and high-tech.

The platform is ingeniously simple. It's not on a giant mechanized system to lift and drop it - which is what I thought originally. It's activated by floats...like a submarine system. When they want the platform to be up at maintenance level, they fill the floats with air. The platform has dozens of floats and it's flexible so that each piece can lift and drop with relative ease. When they want it to be at rest, they fill the floats with water. When they want it to be at show level, they half fill the floats. It's incredibly smart. And not nearly the maintenance nightmare that the actual show elements are.

This show will be unlike any other...and I know it's cliche to say that...but there's no other way to put it. The use of projection on various water surfaces will give the show a style and a look that I don't think has been seen before. And I'm not just talking about screens...but moving, whipping water. The immense grid of water nozzles gives them the ability to create dimensional water effects across the lagoon. Kind of like the fountain show at the Wynn, but on a much grander scale. Then water whips, fire whips, blow pops, and a seamless 300 ft wide water screen projection complete the techy goodies. It'll be amazing if Disney figured out a way to create a heartfelt show amidst this technology - but from what I've heard and seen and what Disney's intentionally leaked, it's pretty spectacular. What has me excited is that the animation used in the show has been redone - sometimes in completely different mediums. (Alice's segment has been done in paper stop-motion)

Will it be a technical disaster its first year? Oh you bet. But what precedent-setting piece of technology hasn't? I can imagine it will be scaled back by its second year...that's just the way it seems to go. I plan to see it in its first few months - and I would advise everyone else to do the same. Stuff will get cut. Nothing is safe from tweaking.

^^ Here you go Zenith. On page 90 theres also a pretty good idea of the layout.

http://www.mouseinfo.com/forums/dca-expansion/85489-carsland-radiator-springs-racers-97.html

It is the fifth post down, but this guy seems to know a lot, he also posted the layout picture. Anyway, that makes sence, and a U turn would be pretty cool as test track does not do that. It is probably more because as we all know this technology is not entirely reliable, and it has only been semi perfected since Journey. Test Track is often down though, so they probably want to test and get this thing ready so they dont have another test track on their hands.

^^^^Thanks for the info. That will help, but I can also see huge technical difficulties with any show of that size. The floats also explains why some earlier pictures of the platforms showed them bowed out a bit.

^ Its basically a souped up Fantasyland dark ride.

Each car has a motor and that motor gets its power from a electrified bar underneath the track.

It also has a very sophisticated computer system onboard and off board that control spacing, when to accelerate, activate effects, etc. It's crazy complex!

MOD's, feel free to move this, I couldn't figure out where to put it.

While walking to the park yesterday, I noticed some new trams drive by. I took some quick pictures. Looks like all the new parking trams will have automated doors so some psycho people can't jump off anymore. Not really exciting news, but something new.

Also, secret service was doing some test walks around DCA today (at least that's what i heard someone say), so I guess some important politician is going to be visiting soon.

Tram.jpg.d35a4672d2ba53e92712e056d2921b42.jpg

New Parking Trams

668540836_Tram1.jpg.ddc4912918a832b3d95e336945a0e3e2.jpg

348807175_Tram2.jpg.0f9787ffe2e4eeca3845af5670c83d51.jpg