TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

When I look at this whole project, I can't help but think, "why didn't they do all this stuff in the first place?" That having been said I guess, I can give them credit for at least seeing what their mistakes were and trying to correct them. Too bad there's just so many things that need fixing... Don't get me wrong though, I'm incredibly excited for the whole project to be finished! I think everything they're working on is going to be awesome when things are done, we're just going to have to be patient with this. Very patient.

I for one, am extremely excited for World of Color! Of course with me being sort of a "fountain enthusiast", it's easy for me to be very excited over a project like this. But honestly, I think it's going to be incredible. The videos of the show testing recently look great!

If you are not impressed with the idea of this show, hen what might I ask would you like to see instead? Offer up some idea's, albeit too late, but I am curious.

Nothing. I'd rather them NOT do the show. I haven't seen anything that impresses me yet in any of the videos. I keep hearing that Screamin' will have to be closed during show time. And I can just see that part of the park being a nightmare to get around, just like Disneyland during Fantasmic. That all equals not much I'd be interested in at all.

But like I said, I'm not a show person so I'm not going to be a good one to ask. I haven't seen Fantasmic since I stopped working at the park in 1992. Never seen the WDW one. Never stepped foot in the Hyperion theater, etc.

A show really has to REALLY REALLY IMPRESS me to grab my attention. So far, the only one that really has (and I probably only see it one in four visits) is Illuminations.

Oh, and guess what, the most boring part of Illuminations is the colored fountains and the movies.

So far from what I can see World of Color is an entire show of "the most boring part of Illumations." No thanks. I pass.

Every time I see a new video of World of Color all I can think of is "Light Magic."

--Robb "But I'll give the show one chance to be sure..." Alvey

If the rumors are true regarding the closure of Screamin' (and I'm assuming the rest of the rides on the water) during World of Color shows, then it will have to a mind blowing show to keep the complaints low regarding ride closures. I guess with Screamin', they could get away with just holding trains for the duration of the show, but I assume Mickey's Fun Wheel will have to be completely unloaded before the show starts if its included in the closures.

I guess with Screamin', they could get away with just holding trains for the duration of the show

I sure wouldn't want to be stuck on those trains for nearly 30 minutes.

Put the ride closures together with the crowds and together with the ShowPass concept, and there's a lot to be concerned about with this show. There could be a few thousand happy people watching the show, but there could also be nearly twice as many rather angry people about how they couldn't ride the ride they wanted, or had no idea that they needed to get a special ticket in order to gain entry to the show's prime viewing area, or didn't care about any show and just wanted to get somewhere around the Paradise Pier area. That could be a rather ugly situation.

Robb's post has me curious. What about IllumiNations set it apart from all the other shows?

^Beat me too it! Fire Barge.

But back to the topic at hand, this show and all the construction really just proves the one thing I hate about Disney: for all the amazing things they do, their creative teams (WDI and Creative Entertainment) are really out of touch with reality. They don't care about park operations, they don't care what the vendors they hire think, and they seem to think they can do no wrong. Which results in both incredible innovations, but also lots of headaches for guests and CM's forced to deal with their arrogance!

That's why you see things like closures for the fireworks and soon to be World of Color, a park thats a construction zone that's only going to be more of a mess when they begin work on the entrance, brake failures @ CA Screamin, and Dragons whose necks snap off.

Hopefully World of Color actually opens on time, since it's rumored they kicked WET designs off the project...

Fire! Fire! More fire! Heh heh heh...

If DCA runs two shows a nights its going to be damn inconvenient to get a night ride on Screamin. To me its the height of idiocy to shut down a major attraction(s), especially a people eater, to run a nightly show. If it happens this way, well, its another example that the lack of sound planning that went into DCA's original design continues a decade later.

^^Joey is right. WET design was not only involved in the preliminary design phase of the show system, but I'm almost positive that they were tapped for the production/implementation of the water, light and fire systems found on the show platform. In other words, their fingers were dipped, if not doused in this project.

^I don't think that is correct. Perhaps WDI brought those people in afterwards, but WET was definitely involved with World of Color.

Miceage found that the fountains and lights were created by The Fountain People through logos on fountains and the lights.

Are you thinking that the people who made the equipment the same people who designed the show? I didn't think so. For example, GCI designed and built Terminator, but Consign did the controls and control panel. Another example, most water slides, like Proslide and White Water products, are designed and the slide fiberglass is fabricated by them. But if they need a conveyor for the rafts. That's a different vendor entirely that they use.

I thought WET was involved as well. WET seems like they were the "creators of the show" not the "manufacturers of the fountains." The two can be completely different people.

They probably purchased the fountains from this other vendor. That would make sense to me.

Most major attractions include a LOT of different vendors.

Talking to a co worker at my part time job, he worked at Disneyland until a few years ago as a painter. He retired and moved here to Indiana. A neat thing is that Disney gave him a pass that he can get him and 36 other people in to any Disney park a year. I found my way in if I can get to California soon as he is moving back there. He worked there as an painter (not a painter as in wall painter but as in artwork).

He moved here expected painting work to be pretty good. I guess it isn't as he is moving back there soon. He applied to be an artist again. I guess he expects the work to be in the renovation, if he gets it.

He has already painted about 7 murals inside the store already. Here is his newest he is working on. He is painting scenes from all the colleges in town.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=5180580&l=977c0e4ed1&id=503881000

One he painted is a farm scene and on one of the cows, he has a hidden Micky.

^ And if you look at WET Design's website, it's all about fountain/show design and nothing about equipment!

Hmmm.....

The site has menu options for manufacturing and engineering and I in some specials I have seen them building/developing new fountains (I know they make their own laminar flow equipment.)

Am I wrong? Perhaps. But I used to also thing WET was doing the fountain...

^You are wrong. End of story. WET Designs was definitely heavily involved with the project. All that's left for discussion is whether or not The Fountain People were contractors, or came in to finish work since WET was allegedly removed from the project.

I was just at DCA today to take a look at construction (sorry, no photos) From Screamin', I could see that yet another hill is being installed behind the one that's already up. According to Imagineers at the expo last year, this section begins the ride's finale. The cars will race side-by-side over these "bunny hops" complete a heavily banked left turn, and then drop into an underground "hot springs" area before slowing down and returning to the station, very much like Tokyo's Journey attraction. I have to wonder if they will build the entire right side track first and then the left side as not one piece of track has been put in on the left track. The cars will load in one straight line just like Test Track and then split off either left or right into the first of several dark ride show scenes. The dark ride segment will be much shorter than what Test Track has, as RSR will focus more on speed and thrills.

Some other things I noticed were... Golden Zephyr was completely covered by huge blue tarps. It looks like it is receiving either some paint of maintenance work. Silly Symphony Swings queue and load building are both coming along nicely and should open on time for April. They are really going all out touching up the surrounding area to the World of Color viewing area, which itself looks like only minor work is needed to complete. That's all for now, will bring the camera next time.

It's a general rule of thumb that the more complex you make something, the more likely it is something will go wrong. The combination of all those electronics, moving items, and water is sure to cause problems. Too much going on.

^None of those shows are dependent upon giant mechanical platforms moving up and down every night to function. In addition to all the other technical aspects. I get the feeling the first summer is going to end up being a giant "technical preview."

Do you know how the fountains in Bellagio and the Dubai fountain work? Are those raised separately or together? I know Disney added the ability for the whole thing to come out of the water for easier maintenance, but is that really that different then the systems that are already out there?