TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

If you are not impressed with the idea of this show, hen what might I ask would you like to see instead? Offer up some idea's, albeit too late, but I am curious. This park really did little for me on my first and only visit last April, I founds it to a real travesty.

the idea of yet another water base show does seem a bit redundant, true, but seeing that there is this large body of water in the middle of the park...

I can't believe that picture of Hollywood Blvd!!!!

And I thought the construction walls they had up in Paradise Pier were bad!!!

I still really think they should have just closed the park for like six months, worked really hard, and gotten it back open with a bunch of this stuff done.

^Yeah...that's a little too much. I was OK with the paradise pier stuff, but having two areas completely ripped up/covered with construction walls is a little too much. They bit off more than they could chew IMO.

^^ When Magic Mountain opened in Spring 1971, it was really not ready. That showed in their operations (I well remember a lot of ride breakdowns, overcrowded queues due to poor design, etc.). Fortunately, Sea World and Newhall Land & Farming took notice and closed the park only six months after opening. The park stayed closed (not even weekend operation) for six months to add a few more rides and improve on the ones they did have. When it reopened in Spring 1972, things were much better.

I think that Disney really should have done the same thing with DCA. They may have even been able to get the work done faster because they wouldn't be dealing with crowds. Then, upon reopening, they could have held a "Grand Reopening" event which could possibly draw a lot of people (and $$$) into the place.

But I bet Disney gets their trolley up and running faster than the L.A. MTA!

Eric

While I agree with the closing for six months, I just dont think I could have happened.

People plan for months and even years in advance for a trip to Disneyland. And they want what they pay for (ie. Two parks).

Disney was not about to shut down the park for rehab. I don't think they want a "Walley World" experience for their guests

Walley-World-national-lampoons-vacation.jpg.d10622f5b36e4fdbc09a33d4a6e50cc8.jpg

"Walley World" Experience

^^On the flip side, you have to wonder how many guests are coming to the park and going "WTF? This is a construction zone, not a Disney park!"

I'd be real curious to see what kind of guest comments they are getting.

I also think they are doing it backwards. Upgrading the front gate area should have been the first priority before any of the big new additions open. It sounds like both World of Color and Little Mermaid will be open before the new main entry is done?

^ Agreed. I believe the main entrance was supposed to be closed down and completed before WOC opened, but they opted to do it after, This is a BIG mistake IMO.

And of course they are doing a new entrance to Paradise Pier, but it's "supposedly" only for DVC members.

I think they also need to do an entrance from Hollywood/CarsLand as well. Maybe a bridge from the Gardenwalk to DCA?

I'm amazed how quickly they're getting those tracks in on Hollywood Blvd as they recently just dug up the area. As far as RSR goes, I knew about the track pieces being installed but it looks like they are moving right along now. However, in all honesty the park is a complete mess right now. Most of the time I don't even bother going in, except the few times me wanting to see the progress of the construction. I agree the park will be a lot better once phase 1 is done, but the park really is barely getting by right now. I too am very interested in seeing some of those guest comments for those that paid a day's admission into DCA. Probably bad and funny at the same time reading them. I mean, half the park is closed as it is so why not focus all the efforts in getting the place back to Disney quality. Shut the park down

I honestly don't think the complaints would be too bad as people really never saw DCA as a Disneyland equivalent otherwise there would have been more people in the parks besides all the passholders. I also think since Disney has most of the attractions open, it may not seem as bad to people (Not that they don't notice the insane amount of construction, but at least their favorite ride is still running, blah blah blah).

How they handle the entrance closure will be interesting as well, as that will be an even bigger eyesore since it's visible from outside the park and completely unavoidable. And I really hope they make a few final changes to the park entrance as I really don't like the Disney's Hollywood Studios theme they have going on, I would love to see something more original.

I'm not sure actually closing the park would be more beneficial to the resort as it really is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type of situation and at least this way they can still make money. And it would have been a LOT nicer to have it be done without guests and more quickly, but at the same time there's a lot of people that work at the park that depend on the job as well as having that extra draw to keep people around the resort longer as ultimately this is a business and they do still need to make money.

The growing pains the park is going through are definitely obvious and unsightly, but I do agree with Hector's take on it costing jobs and profits, and that it's a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. I understand the idea behind closing the park to get it all done more quickly and behind the scenes, but I would personally rather deal with the walls, and some of the spoiled views, to still be able to take in the attractions that I do enjoy in the park.

Thanks for the update. The world of color looks pretty good, better than I was expecting, so far. Of course that is with only seeing a two minute test clip. I'll just have to wait and see. The hill for the racers looks good, unless it's a copy of Test Track, then it may be just the slow block testing hill.

What are guests saying? Is this a real annoyance, or are they dealing and looking forward to the changes?

I feel that they should have gotten The seating area done before they closed off the mermaid site so you wouldn't have had walls on both sides of you. That looks to be the worst part.

The last time I was there was in Nov 2008 right after they drained the Bay and closed the Wheel. I think the walls were up in the games area, though.

Just image how amazing this park will be when everything's done! Also I agree with everyone's point but maybe not 6 months but maybe 1 or 2 would be realistic just to finish small things here and there & and to work hark and get the entrance complete.

No 1 or 2 months are not realistic, unless crews were to work 48 hours a day, but there are only 24 hours in a day. Having the park closed could increase productivity by 50% at most, but not by the 300% which would be necessary for completion of this vast of a project in 2 months.

Roy Disney was right on the mark when he said that DCA was built "on the cheap." However, I think that in a couple of years, once everything currently under construction is complete, DCA will be a lot closer to what it should have been from the start, and might even be worthy of spending an entire day in.

But being landlocked---and now out of parking lot to expand into, I wonder what future attractions would/could be added?

Eric

^There's no need to worry about their ability to add any future attractions. You'll be collecting social security long before they invest any more money into this park. After allocating all of these current funds, I can't imagine they'll consider any more E-Ticket attractions for a loooooooooooong time.

Look at Disneyland, when was their last E-Ticket added, 1996? (14+ Years!)

But if they do, I'm sure those imagineers will find a way to squeeze it in somewhere.

I for one will be glad when the work is completed, so we'll have the park the way it should/could have been when it originally opened.