TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^You can't forget the score! One thing that I love about Illuminations is its musical score, it's one of my favorite pieces ever. And if they're doing that Cheetah Girls styled cover of the WoC song, then it gets major points knocked off. But with the fire, and all that awesome color, this is still going to be an extremely great show. If only Cali Screamin would remain open through it...

I can't wait to see what they'll look like when they shoot 'em up as high as they can go.

Ask and you shall receive! Those last few pictures are truly amazing. You can barely see Cali Screamin' behind that massive screen. I'm definitely going to have to check this out in person sometime in the near future. I need to start saving money now!

I really hope the show is going to offer some true innovations we haven't seen before. Illuminations has the fire barge and globe, everything about Fantasmic was ground breaking at the time, but this?

The evolution of the Bellagio Fountains and Fantasmic technology isn't THAT exciting.

The evolution of the Bellagio Fountains and Fantasmic technology isn't THAT exciting.

Agreed. Every picture that everyone is going ga-ga over, I feel like "I've seen this before...like a LONG time before..."

Maybe it's just that something like this is new to other people but having traveled around the world and seen a crap load of shows in my time this just is like, I dunno, not impressive to me. At least nothing I've seen so far.

It feels more like something from Vegas cira 1998 than it does anything revolutionary.

--Robb

So how much of the park closes when the show is running? Mickey Wheel, Silly Symphony, Zephyr and CA Screamin possibly?

While I think the overall effect is impressive, with a lot of the locals having seen both Fantasmic and been to Vegas, not sure if this was the best possible use of the lagoon. I read it earlier elsewhere in this thread about the Aquatrax (probably as a joke), but actually, I think an actual ride would have been a better use of the space. Imagine something like Sea World's Jet Ski coaster zipping over the water. To me that is more exciting than watching old clips of Pocahontas and "colors of the wind".

Carsland can't come soon enough.

Agreed. Every picture that everyone is going ga-ga over, I feel like "I've seen this before...like a LONG time before..."

Maybe it's just that something like this is new to other people but having traveled around the world and seen a crap load of shows in my time this just is like, I dunno, not impressive to me. At least nothing I've seen so far.

It feels more like something from Vegas cira 1998 than it does anything revolutionary.

--Robb

So....flame whips, butterfly fountains aren't that revolutionary....

So how much of the park closes when the show is running? Mickey Wheel, Silly Symphony, Zephyr and CA Screamin possibly?

While I think the overall effect is impressive, with a lot of the locals having seen both Fantasmic and been to Vegas, not sure if this was the best possible use of the lagoon. I read it earlier elsewhere in this thread about the Aquatrax (probably as a joke), but actually, I think an actual ride would have been a better use of the space. Imagine something like Sea World's Jet Ski coaster zipping over the water. To me that is more exciting than watching old clips of Pocahontas and "colors of the wind".

Carsland can't come soon enough.

As of right now, it looks like the whole back part of the pier is going to close. But that's the last I've heard.

Regarding the ride in the lagoon: If it was bigger, I would have wanted a ride too. Hopefully they take out Mulholland Madness/Goofy's Sky School eventually, and put a ride in that splashes down into the west side of the lagoon.

Oh, and here's two more pics from testing a few nights ago..

EDIT by larrygator: I've fixed it here, but please remember to resize all photos to (800x600 maximum) in the future

429448445_woc02042_9811(Medium)(Custom).jpg.7ef0402c1f484b2499d10239ecd51575.jpg

820374940_woc0204_2131(Medium)(Custom).jpg.01053ac19daf6245bc3cf31ff08f7a7b.jpg

--Robb

Let's also not forget that they aren't completely finished with the testing yet. Isn't the show going to have projectors emmitting images on a cloud of mist? If so, then I really don't think this element was used on a show at this scale, correct me if I'm wrong.

Either way, it seems like it will be a unique show with a Disney touch.

Out of curiosity, what's your take on the various firework shows that Disney puts on? I ask because that's a VERY old technology.

^Oh just be honest, you're not asking out of curiosity, you're asking to try and annoy Robb because you don't like him or TPR. Just let it go and stop.

And I'll answer your fireworks question. Fireworks don't require tearing out an entire section of a park, nor trying to pass something off as amazingly new.

Oh, and fountains are very old technology too.

Not terribly impressed as of now, but I don't think the issue is so much the technology that is involved, it's the presentation. I mean, going with the fireworks example, you can find fireworks and just about any semi-well funded event, but when the right selection of a variety of fireworks are well choreographed to a moving, well written score, the effects can be magical. I really think it's too early to judge this show based just on the pictures seen, but I'm hoping the Disney "magic" pushes this up the notch from being "just another fountain show"... however, I don't think any of us will know for sure if it has been a success or not until we see the actual final product... here's hoping!

^^^ I have nothing against you, Robb or this website. I was asking because it's a valid point. I apologize if any offense was taken.

My point is that nothing Disney does is "new" per se. They are just really good at taking what already exists and making it better.

^Oh just be honest, you're not asking out of curiosity, you're asking to try and annoy Robb because you don't like him or TPR. Just let it go and stop.

And I'll answer your fireworks question. Fireworks don't require tearing out an entire section of a park, nor trying to pass something off as amazingly new.

Oh, and fountains are very old technology too.

Agreed. When was the last time a "firework show" required a massive park re-do and making a section of a park look terrible for more than a year?

When Fantastic debuted it was groundbreaking and effects that hadn't been seen many other places.

So far "from what I've seen" there is nothing about this new show that isn't something I've seen someplace else before.

It might be a great show, I'm not saying that it won't be, I'm just saying that I wish I could get more excited about it.

But then again, I'm also the wrong audience. I'm not a "show person." I haven't seen Fantasmic at Disneyland since 1992, I've never bothered to see the one at WDW, I've only seen the Bravaseamo show at Tokyo Disney once (and that was enough) and probably the only show of it's kind that I make any sort of effort to go see (and when I say effort I mean, like if we happen to be at the park and we can find a half-way decent spot in about 30 seconds before the show starts) is Illuminations.

Shows just don't interest me unless there is something about it that makes me go WOW!!!! And so far I've seen no "WOW!" from World of Color.

--Robb