TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I know some people have said Aladdin is really close to Broadway. Um, No. Guess they have never seen a Broadway show. However, compared to other theme park shows, Disney is usually at the top. With the exception of the Shekonohe show "These are my mountains, My Mountains!" Insert random leprechaun here.

Aladdin is pretty close to on Broadway, I saw Spamalot and Lion King and Aladdins prodcon value is not that far off. The carpet scenes are done very well, the sets are highly detailed, and the show is awesome. The first scene of Agrabah is on par with broadway imo, same with the genie scene.

I still don't understand the point of "broadway" style shows in theme parks.

They're too long, and who exactly are they targeting? I can't imagine most kids want to sit in a theater for 30+ minutes without any real excitement (no singing along, action, etc.).

^ Agreed. One of the reasons why I've never stepped foot into the Hyperion theater is that nothing they have ever shown in there excites me in the least bit.

Partly because I'm just not a "show person" but if I want to see a show like that I'll go see a REAL show, not some theme park watered down rendition.

I remember seeing the Beauty & The Beast show, One Man's Dream, etc, and just thinking "What is the point of this crap?"

If you're going to put me in front of a show, let my kids sing along like in Playhouse Disney or blow stuff up like in Illuminations.

If you're not letting kids interact and have fun or explosions aren't happening left and right. F**k it. I pass.

--Robb

Aladdin is pretty close to on Broadway, I saw Spamalot and Lion King and Aladdins prodcon value is not that far off. The carpet scenes are done very well, the sets are highly detailed, and the show is awesome. The first scene of Agrabah is on par with broadway imo, same with the genie scene.

When you say "I've seen a show on Broadway" have you actually seen a show on Broadway, or just a cheaper Los Angeles version of a Broadway show?

I have never seen a show in a theme park that is anything near one of the top Broadway or West End shows.

I've seen shows like Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Phantom, Beauty & The Beast, Sunset Blvd, etc in both Los Angeles and actually on Broadway, and I can tell you that while it's for the most part the same show, it's not the same experience.

--Robb

I see the point of a Broadway style show as something for Seniors/non-riders. By making a high quality show, it can have non-riders talk about how the park has something for everyone.

I only bring this up from people my grandparents know. The group go to Dollywood and Silver Dollar City every year just for shows. It can work for some people.

^ Right, but I think those parks may be the exception to the rule. Remember, those parks really started out as parks who's feature attractions were the shows...and then they got some rides in.

Like I said in an earlier post there are very few parks, IMO, that having a high production value show actually works for them.

I mean, at Dollywood, they play Sha-Kon-Oh-Hey! with a LIVE BAND!

How many theme park shows do that?

Let me start off by saying I LOVE SHOWS! Often times while I worked at Cedar Point a few years ago, I would have "show days" and literally spend an entire day just watching each of the shows the park offered (back when they actually had good shows and enough budget people to perform in them).

Aladdin is pretty damn impressive for being in a theme park. Of the two shows I've actually seen on actual Broadway (including Disney's own Mary Poppins), it's pretty up there. Ok well maybe more on a touring version scale of the mega shows you mentioned, but still very impressive and a lot of fun. I go and watch it often, and a lot of the times the theater fills up pretty good and the people leave impressed and happy to have watched it (including a lot of comments of being Broadway caliber *shrug*) so in that sense I'm glad at least Aladdin was a success.

That said, I'm not really excited for Toy Story. I will go at least see it as I also loved Finding Nemo at Animal Kingdom (yeah I even bought the soundtrack, that's how dorky I am lol) so I'm holding out hope that I may still like this. But I already have the feeling I will not go and see this as much as I do with Aladdin now, as I don't like the storyline for Toy Story as much as I do Aladdin (with already proven music to boot).

Eh...I guess I'm just not a theme park show person enough to care either way.

I've never stepped foot into that theater at DCA and don't ever care to unless someone is passing out $100 bills at the exit.

So I guess really my comments are worthless in this thread.

The Hyperion theater in DCA was quite impressive, the show was good, not Broadway, but good. A nice break from the crowds, and held true to the story line.

Yes I have seen shows, not on broadway, but for years I worked at the Music Center, Pantages and other theater venues before movig to Oregon where all we get are truck and bus shows.

I digress, Any form of the arts is good to me, exposrue to musical theater, is good and from what I have seen in the Disney parks are some soild high production shows.

Alladin at DCA is a good example, at WDW, Festival of the Lion KIng, Nemo, before that Tarzan. Exposing the masses to this form of theater get praises from me.

I look forward to seeing the Toy story show, glad we got to see Alladin before it closes.

Eh...I guess I'm just not a theme park show person enough to care either way.

I've never stepped foot into that theater at DCA and don't ever care to unless someone is passing out $100 bills at the exit.

Same.

I still await the day someone puts Ice Bat's Chainsaw & Strippers Spectacular (Now With More Napalm!) into production. Until then, I'll pass on shows...

dt

The main reason that SFoG put in shows back when the park opened was that, during that time period, most people in the Southeast had not seen a "Broadway" style show. Most Broadway shows did not tour the US, so parks starting putting in shows to entertain guests and to buff up their list of attractions.

For those of us non-Disneyland Resort fanboys, what exactly is that we are looking at?

To me it just looks like an explosion of water...or something that looks sort of familar to the Fantasmic screens.

Yeah, it's one of several mist screens, similar to the ones used for Fantasmic. Just on a much larger scale.

When you say "I've seen a show on Broadway" have you actually seen a show on Broadway, or just a cheaper Los Angeles version of a Broadway show?

I have never seen a show in a theme park that is anything near one of the top Broadway or West End shows.

I've seen shows like Les Mis, Miss Saigon, Phantom, Beauty & The Beast, Sunset Blvd, etc in both Los Angeles and actually on Broadway, and I can tell you that while it's for the most part the same show, it's not the same experience.

--Robb

I saw the Lion King and(I think beauty and the beast) at the Pantages. They are not as impressive as broadway, but Aladin still has people flying in Magic Carpets over your head. The show has a huge cobra thing that is made of like clot that rises like 15 feet. There is a pretty convincing full sized elephant and various street perforers in the front row. And, there are special effects like the genies tricks, set design changes. and bungie stunts. The theater is also beauiful and has 3 tiers.

Off subject of plays I was at Disneyland on Friday and they were testing water screens. It looked pretty cool as the water fans are very flexible, and the water level on screamin is getting pretty high, so it made for the ride being pretty awesome just due to the water.

The only times I consistently was in that theatre was when BLAST was there. That show was freaking awesome.

We saw the first show in there (was it called Steps in Time?) one day when it was raining and I remember seeing Aladdin during one of the test shows and thinking it sucked. Haven't been back since.

I have no desire to see Toy Story The Musical.

Although, I have to admit that Finding Nemo The Musical at Animal Kingdom is AMAZING. But no show I have ever seen at a theme park is what I'd call "Broadway Quality".

Finding Nemo "could" be expanded to be "Broadway Quality" but what they have now isn't. It is the best Theme Park Broadway "Style" show I've ever seen.