TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Although, even though I think Cars is the worst of the Pixar movies it will probably work better than a Ratatouille or Up land.

I would love to see something based on Up. It was such a great film, especially the flawless opening montage. Even a re-theme of Soarin' would be cool by me.

While I'm not ecstatic about the new Carsland, I have to admit that I absolutely loved Cars, even more than The Incredibles. It's actually one of my favorite Pixar movies, second only to Nemo (although that may change since I still haven't seen Up). And while I am happy that DCA is finally getting the attention it should have had from the beginning, I, too, am feeling very underwhelmed by all these movie tie-ins. I yearn for the day when we once again see an original story to a new and innovative attraction at the DLR. Even Indiana Jones Adventure, considered by many to be the last true E-ticket to open at DL, is based off a movie. With overseas projects, like Mystic Manor, JTTCOTE, and the Japanese Tower, it's obvious that Imagineering still has a knack for unique story telling. I guess we'll just have to continue waiting for that one unique e-ticket to come to the DLR.

^I have a feeling that we'll see original rides in DLP before DCA. I think Disney wants to use that park as an outlet and due to wanting to up those attendance numbers. In order to do so, you have to use names, sights, and movies people are already familiar. I can completely understand why they'd go this route. It's easier to sell Cars than an original story (albeit it would more than likely be better than Cars). If you were to go with a ride with a storyline built from the ground up, you couldn't use the name recognition of "it's right across from Disneyland". If that actually worked, DCA would have pulled more than 5,000,000 visitors last year when it's older sister just a few hunred yards away pulled almost three times that.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the above video, consider me EXTREMELY un-impressed!!

A bunch of poofs of flame?? Please.

I'm surprised they haven't added spinning sparklers to to "Fun Wheel" yet.

Nothing I've seen: artwork, testing vids, various descriptions, etc... will make me drive the 2.7 miles to rush out and see this.

The only thing impressive, is the amount of work and fabrication that is now underwater. I may be alone on this one, but I really think that this will only be worth seeing - once.

JJ

Hey, it's called testing. I highly doubt that video gives any idea of what to expect when this show opens. The park was most likely in the early stages of testing with this fire cannons. Eventually, they will be set in show mode along with all of the other effects.

Don't judge something you have not seen 100% yet please.

Don't judge something you have not seen 100% yet please.

Um... Where did I actually judge it??

Was it this statement?

After seeing the above video, consider me EXTREMELY un-impressed!!

A bunch of poofs of flame?? Please.

Hardly a judgement. It's an observation, and it's HIGHLY UN-ORIGINAL!!! It's all over "Illuminations" and not too impressive, even on it's MUCH larger scale!!

Perhaps you were referring to this statement:

I'm surprised they haven't added spinning sparklers to to "Fun Wheel" yet.

Nah, that couldn't be it. FYI - That was sarcasm, referring to the spinners on the castle at Disneyland next door, which EVEN AFTER TESTING caused several trees to catch on fire, DURING A LIVE PERFORMANCE and had to be scaled back.

Maybe it was here:

Nothing I've seen: artwork, testing vids, various descriptions, etc... will make me drive the 2.7 miles to rush out and see this.

No, that couldn't be it, as there is nothing ORIGINAL to claim a judgement on. Therefore, why waste my 10 minutes driving to see a compilation of a mix-n-match, perhaps even a "best of" effects show?

Not a judgement, a factual opinion.

How about this one:

The only thing impressive, is the amount of work and fabrication that is now underwater.

Oh, there it is!! My bad! I judged it on how impressive all of the hardware, which is now underneath the water, and the amount of $$ spent on it, looked. It looked cool.

Was it in here too?

I may be alone on this one, but I really think that this will only be worth seeing - once.

No. Once again, that was an opinion

At least I admitted I'll probably see it at some point.

There's absolutely NOTHING about this show that is even remotely exciting, (except for the nerdy technology to put it on) as everything in it has already been done somewhere else at, and by, Disney.

Whoop. Ti. Do.

JJ

But Jeff it's FIRE! Oh well, I guess since you were around when it was created it's not a big deal for you. But don't worry, I'll drag you out to see this a few weeks after it debuts (gotta let the pASSHOLders get it out of their systems and all) just so you can at least see it lol. It took you long enough to go ride Ghost Galaxy anyway.

Of course knowing me and how easily amused I am by everything, I'll probably love it. I spent almost a full half hour at the Waltzing Waters booth watching their Liquid Fireworks booth at IAAPA last Friday. The Mirage in Las Vegas also has the the "dancing flames" as part of their revamped Volcano experience and it was fun watching the fire dance.

And who knows maybe they do have a few tricks up there sleeves still that people don't know about that will place this one top.

Not a judgement, a factual opinion.

JJ

Somebody's tampons too tight? You are stating your own personal opinion as FACT. HA!!!!! That's funny. You know NOTHING of this show. You've seen a craptastic video of them testing 1 flamethrower effect. And all of the sudden it's the worst show ever. Really? Really?!? Where exactly has this been done before by Disney? Last I checked there was no other water show in a Disney park. Illuminations isn't a watershow. It has fountains, that's great and everything but it's not a watershow. Get over that. And FYI, A "factual opinion" is a judgement my friend...

To prove to you that you know nothing of this show. Each of those flame throwers is on a rotating pivot and can rotate and tilt in any direction, and were modified to inject chemicals into the fuel to change the color of the flame to the mood of the scene. Where was that done before? Please nobody want's to hear your "factual opinion" because your facts are wrong.

Regardless of the fighting above, I think that anything that makes a park better is something we should all be happy about and I for one am certainly excited to see it. It might not be worth me visiting in the near future, but when I go there next I will definitely stick around to see it.

I thought it looks pretty cool, but I am a disney fan boy. I am still a little iffy on WOC being a "Fantasmic killer" though. I mean, Fantasmic is literally the perfect mix of Disney films and effects to tell a story so unique, yet so Disney it is easily the best theme park show I have ever seen. Illuminations being the only thing that comes as a possible close second. Regardless, I will be there with my friends the first time their pass is not blacked out. (I told them to go with deluxe and not so cal, but they never listen and want to see the show ) However, all of this being said I listened to the rundown of the show and was extremely impressed with all the concepts and scenes, and all the paper art in Blue sky cellar is awesome for the Alice in Wonderland sequence.

The anxiously waiting for California Adventure to blossom into the park it should/could be Ghost

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

If you love musicals as much as I do, then you’re going to be thrilled with today’s news.

“Toy Story – The Musical” will take over Hyperion Theatre in Disney’s California Adventure park in early 2011.

The characters and playful plot from the original Disney•Pixar film, Toy Story, will come to life before your eyes in this dazzling, musical stage spectacular where you’ll be treated to a unique “toys’ eye view” of life in Andy’s room. The stage show will feature larger-than-life set design, new songs, vivid projected backgrounds and elaborate costumes.

The 50-minute musical will preserve the humor and heart of the original film and will explore the true meaning of friendship as Buzz Lightyear and Woody transform from jealous adversaries to best friends with an unbreakable bond.

To make way for this exciting addition to Disney’s California Adventure park, “Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” will close August 15, 2010. If you’re visiting the Disneyland Resort this holiday season, don’t miss your chance to catch this great show.

“Toy Story – The Musical” is just the latest announcement of a line-up of great attractions and experiences coming to Disney’s California Adventure. To find out about all the new things coming to the park, check out DisneysCaliforniaAdventure.com.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Aladdin show at DCA, so it seems like a shame that it will be replaced, but anything new at the park should be a good thing. I'll be sure to catch Aladdin in July before it closes...

bzz320093SMALL.jpg.ec674a5d149a97411e5386213786bd3d.jpg

Is this the show that's currently on the Disney Cruise ships? If so, I've heard great things about it!

It is the same show. I haven't seen it in person, but I haven't heard that its been that great. Mainly that it fits for a cruise ship show. Maybe with a real budget and a much better theater the show will do great.

The production value of the show was actually quite good. The Rex and Mr. Potato Head puppet costumes were top notch, and there was good use of large projections and screens. From a technical standpoint, it was the best of the shows on the ship.

I wouldn't expect anything to be shown in that theater to be any better or worse than a "Cruise Ship Show" to be honest.

If you're going into a theme park show expecting Broadway, I think you're going to be dissapointed.

I can't say that I've seen many theme park shows that are much better than what you see on even the better cruise ships. There have been few exceptions, but not many.

--Robb

I know some people have said Aladdin is really close to Broadway. Um, No. Guess they have never seen a Broadway show. However, compared to other theme park shows, Disney is usually at the top. With the exception of the Shekonohe show "These are my mountains, My Mountains!" Insert random leprechaun here.

^^Knowing that I am not a show person (except when considering Voyage of the Little Mermaid or Sha-Kon-Oh-Hey!), I can strangely say that in many ways, I enjoyed Finding Nemo: The Musical more than I did the broadway version of The Lion King. I was wholly impressed with the show, and my expectations were completely blown out of the water (no pun intended).

I myself was never really a fan of the Toy Story franchise, but I am interested to see how this show performs, considering that it will be another significant addition to California Adventure.