TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

What? Space Mt is better at MK? You must be talking about the track layout and overall style of the ride rather than show quality (the Disney Difference TM). Let's see, on one hand you have full dark, sound effects, better show elements, 2x seating, and now the Ghost Galaxy Halloween overlay.

MK's has twin tracks, plenty of light pollution, no soundtrack, and let's be honest. It was allowed to fall into a very worn state before the ongoing refurb (here's something both coasts have in common). Hopefully it's getting a first class retouch. Otherwise I'll go with DL's.

So DL's SM is better because it has a 2x seating and a Halloween overlay, among other things?

I have yet to understand the "light pollution" argument. I don't recall it being any darker ten, twenty, years ago than it is now. It's purely a DL fanboy's imaginative way to attempt to make DL's better, along with the "it's smooth" argument. I find DL's completely boring.

I'm actually indifferent between the two Space Mountains...I think Florida's is just Matterhorn in a box, and while I enjoy the music of DL's, it's still nothing special. I won't bother to ride either unless I can get a fastpass or its a short wait.

But anyways...I thought this thread was about DCA's makeover?

It's purely a DL fanboy's imaginative way to attempt to make DL's better, along with the "it's smooth" argument. I find DL's completely boring.

Not a DL fanboy. Not any fanboy. It's my opinion. Now stop with the name calling, based on a single post no less. Thank you very much.

DL's Space improved when they closed up the queue viewing portals. Who'd a thunk. Dark = greater sensation of speed.

Is the ride perfect? No. Is it the epitome of thrills? Neither is. When I ride the MK version I do miss the sound and visual effects.

MK's layout, DL's updated technology, that would be nice. But really, isn't the Paris version best of all? I'd like to know from someone who's experienced all three.

So how about that makeover? When Paradise Pier's workover is complete, its initials will still be 'PP.' Just funning. The park needs this extensive shot in the arm. Wake me when its finished.

Not a DL fanboy. Not any fanboy. It's my opinion. Now stop with the name calling, based on a single post no less. Thank you very much.

How about let's stop with the stupid drama, accusations, and off-topic discussions and focus back on DCA's attractions which is what this thread was about.

Thank you very much.

--Robb

So it appears that the Paradise Bay water is darkening, whether from more dye, or just natural clouding, I don't really know, but the underwater stuff such as pipes and girders are less visible than they were when they first started pumping it in.

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/Theme-Park/Disneyland-Resort-102909/10134425_wZLYD#696714243_iFcJs-A-LB

I know the dye looks nice, but I always hated it when that one small wave would just be high enough to hit you in the face. The dye, and the millions of people spitting in it, always grossed me out. Glad it's finally getting finished though.

For those wondering why Cars: Since it's debut, the Cars franchise alone to date has generated $5 BILLION DOLLARS in sales for the Disney Consumer Products division. $5 BILLION!! It's become for boys what the Disney Princess franchise has become for girls. With Cars2 out in 2011 and Carsland in 2012, merchandise sales alone will no doubt keep Disney's pockets padded for years.

Not that I personally agree with using this as a basis for new additions. Also wish more unique big budget immersive attractions, like those in Tokyo and soon in HK, would get green lit here without having to have a movie tie-in. But the reality is, Disney's a business and if that's what it took for Anaheim to get the green light for the largest ride ever built by Disney and it's first big budget E-ticket in 17yrs**, then so be it!

**Sorry, don't count the half-arsed TOT or anything else at DCA a true Disney E-ticket.

^I don't think any of us are really questioning the Cars decision. Just voicing our displeasure on 1) another movie based ride instead of an original concept, and 2) a movie that many of us didn't care for (since we're not 10 year old boys!)

It's totally understood, just something we're not personally happy about.

So it appears that the Paradise Bay water is darkening, whether from more dye, or just natural clouding, I don't really know, but the underwater stuff such as pipes and girders are less visible than they were when they first started pumping it in.

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/Theme-Park/Disneyland-Resort-102909/10134425_wZLYD#696714243_iFcJs-A-LB

Actually, now that I looked at the pictures a little more closely, it doesn't appear they put the dye in yet.

^^^^^So what you're saying is that Disney is still using Eisner era logic in their decisions? Instead of letting creative people make the decisions and do their thing, they are basing it off strong sales of merchandise?

I'm sure the ride will still be successful, but it still seems so uninspired. Radiator Springs isn't even in California!

^ Yeah and it sucks, but unfortunately that's the only way Imagineering can get a lot of these projects green lit. The subs wouldn't ever have reopened unless there was a Nemo tie-in, the funds for the Small World rehab could only be justified if they could stick characters in to sell plush at the exit, etc.

At least the new E-tickets going into HK and S.E.A. give me a glimmer of hope that things are changing and we'll hopefully see some stateside attractions from The Society soon.

Cars was a pretty poor movie anyway. No matter how much income it's generated it paled in comparison to their earlier movies.

Now if they made a ride about UP! and Kevin..

I would like to see an UP ride too, however, I must disagree with you on how "poor" Cars was. It's one of my favorite pixar movies, not necessarily for the story, but for the animation. The amazing detail to the light reflections on the cars, the water, the dust, etc. All of it, created, and it looks real, but a cartoon at the same time.

They DO need to come up with a better name than CARSLAND, Radiator Springs is a step up, but still unimaginative. The problem with Disney is that they're relying too much on their movie/merch sales, to come up with park attractions and lands. Look at Journey to the Center of the Earth, Expedition Everest, and even the, dare I say it, Tower of Terror (given the fact it was based off of the Twilight Zone. All of them created attractions, with a new storyline. All of them bring in masses of lines, and dozens of fans. Disney needs to go back to making ORIGINAL rides and shows. Hell, even bring back the Country Bear Jamboree! DCA needs some more original rides, that don't have a character tie-in. Add on to Grizzly River Run, update Soarin', and add enhancements to California Screamin' just to start.

^I don't think any of us are really questioning the Cars decision. Just voicing our displeasure on 1) another movie based ride instead of an original concept, and 2) a movie that many of us didn't care for (since we're not 10 year old boys!)

It's totally understood, just something we're not personally happy about.

Exactly! I think cars was Pixar's worst. I mean not horrible, but not nearly as good as the others. I really wish the ride was an original concept versus the "synergy" stuff that Disney does (Don't get me started on Stich!) Disney has by far the best creative staff and I don't know why they don't let them free like they used to. Oh well. What do we know.

Now that would be awesome!! Great way to add some thrilling rides!

If it had to be something based on a movie I would have preferred something with the Incredibles like Marvel Superhero Island if I'm being honest.

hopefully see some stateside attractions from The Society soon.

Just curious...I have never heard of any reference to "The Society" before.

Who are you talking about?

Is that another nickname for WDI or is that Disney management?

Thanks

It's actually just the backstory to TDS, but it does sound promising for possible new unique attractions based on these great storylines that any Disney fan would rather see them build:

http://blueskydisney.blogspot.com/2009/09/hidden-sea.html

There are many things about Tokyo DisneySEA that are wondrous and amazing, but I'll bet most of you didn't know the secret side to DisneySEA...

Or should I say S.E.A.? Remember that the park is themed to the oceans and aquatic encounters of the world, but it's also themed to the world of exploration. In fact, most people don't know about a hidden Society that lives and operates inside the ports of Tokyo DisneySEA. A secret organization that deals in mysterious and dangerous things. A group of people that are responsible for many of the structures that the Imagineers sometimes take credit for.

A club for those that believe the world should be examined and enjoyed, charted and experienced. In fact, the name of this club is right out in public and no one ever notices.

Tokyo DisneyS.E.A. I'll bet you didn't know that the name of the theme park was actually an acronym for something else, did you? Those three letters stand for an organization that's done a lot for the park, in fact, it's done quite a bit for the Asian area that Disney has been smart enough to host and this club has been generous enough to let the company in on some of its knowledge and customs. In fact, the very culture of TDS is heavily influenced by this Club/Group/Society. And it was all under our noses.

May I present to you, "The Society of Explorers and Adventurers." Also known as S.E.A., the organization that is responsible for several places and parts inside the most beautiful theme park in the world. I bet you didn't notice that the "SEA" in Disneysea was all caps, did you? Or if you did, you didn't think much of it. Just a nice stylization most would guess, but they would be wrong. As with all great layering and narrative in the Disney world, this park has it in spades.

And this organization has been around for centuries, maybe a Millennia even. Those of you that have been to DisneySEA will recognize probably the oldest known building belonging to the organization: The Fortress Exploration area of the Mediterranean Harbor. It was constructed in the earliest known days of the secret organization. With the help of visionary men like Leonardo da Vinci and others. The place is a perfect example of how the members of the club strike out to search for arcane knowledge, unique exploration and thrilling adventure. Many of the artifacts you find throughout the resort were graciously donated to the Disney Imagineers by members of the club. Their Society has allowed the tours and examination of their dwellings and treasures in this little plot of land in Asia. One of the most well known members (some would say infamous) of the S.E.A. Club is Harrison Hightower III. Or at least he was before his mysterious disappearance several years ago. His Gothic, dark and opulent Hightower Hotel was opened up for all to see the wonders of a man whose sometimes unseemly desire for treasure hunting is accomplished through less than ethical methods. It's not known actually how many members are in the club as they keep the order and rituals of their organization mostly secret... mostly.

Disney's latest theme park in Asia, Hong Kong Disneyland has a connection with this society or at least it will in 2013. When an area most guest haven't been allowed to enter, opens up. The Mystic Point location happens to hold Mystic Manor which is owned by Lord Henry Mystic. He happens to also be a member of S.E.A. and is a club rival with Hightower. Although, Mystic is known more for his admirable qualities than the missing adventurer and hotel owner ever was. And right next to his manor you'll find a great little place to soak up the 1908 atmosphere called, The Explorer's Club, where you may just find some treasure and a S.E.A. member or two. And you know what? There're more of the Society's club members spread throughout this magnificent world... this Disney world.

And who knows when and where in the future the Society of Explorers and Adventurers will show up next...

Although, even though I think Cars is the worst of the Pixar movies it will probably work better than a Ratatouille or Up land.

Hey it could be a lot worst, let's just be thankful they didn't go with High School Musicaland or Hanna Montanamountain or something!