TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I agree...

- Soarin over Lava Monster

- Lava Monster River Run

- Jumpin' Jellyfish (Into The Mouth Of Lava Monster)

- Lava Monster's Chew Chew Train

- Mission Tortilla and Lava Monster Factory

I already want to go this park. Right now.

Well, not having the financial means to ride journey OR test track, I am one local that am excited for this ride. Sure, It's not going to kick any of its 'brothers' asses, but still seems like a much needed quality addition to the park.

Chris.

^^I absolutely want to be a Lava Monster (referencing the above attraction)... I have a feeling Dan could eat this statement up without even trying...

Its a shame Lava Monster can't be incorporated into Deal or No Deal, because I think I might just spend my life's savings on such a game...

Jouney is over rated...oops did I just say that out loud?

You know, it's funny...when I first rode Journey in 2004 I felt exactly the same way. And I wasn't even sold on it at our return trip in 2005.

My biggest dissapointment is that when I first saw the drop from the outside of the volcano I thought it went ALL THE WAY DOWN, like Splash Montain does. I didn't realize... "that was it."

At this point I thought Test Track was WAY better. For me, Test Track offered the higher thrill factor that I was looking for.

But by 2007 I was really into it and now I absolutely *LOVE* it. And I'm not sure if this is because during this time Test Track also saw some decline in quality (there are several effects on Test Track that I haven't seen work in YEARS and I can't even tell you when the on board video last worked) or if Journey just really grew on me.

Now when I ride it I just feel it is the perfect use of the ride system. And not that Test Track is bad or anything.

But I can totally see why people may think it's overrated. Especially if you're looking for a bit more "thrill."

--Robb

I actually think Journey is a tad overrated myself. It's a bit too short and would benefit for a couple more show scenes* and DEFINITELY needs something after the volcano blast out besides what's there. I still think both Indy (TDS version) and Spiderman at IOA offer a more complete experience.

Lava Monster is still the coolest friggin' thing in the world, though, and the one-two awesome punch of LM and the volcano blast out is probably my favorite portion of any ride I can think of.

This fills my serious post quotient for the week, I will now go back to sarcastic one liners and angry tirades about searching.

* (Preferably one more scene before the cave-in portion, and one more scene before LM)

^ Journey to the Center of the Earth, one of the star attractions at Tokyo DisneySea, commonly shortened to 'Journey'.

I know that I'm going to ride RSR when it opens, and I'm going to make a prediction on how it's going to compare with the other two same systems:

1. Journey

2. RSR

3. Test Track

I don't know, but when I rode Test Track, it came off as kind of 'prototype'-ish...not that it was bad, but that it stopped short of a really great ride...as if the engineers were scared to push it all the way or something.

Of course, with RSR, they have a ton of experience, and a lot more theming incorporated into it as well (they're basically theming a whole new land around a ride).

So I'm pretty excited for it, and if I can make it on opening day, I sure as heck will.

The thing that makes Journey awesome to me (besides Lava Monster of course) is that it is unique. It's everything you expect from WDI: a completely immersive experience with awesome storytelling, visuals, technology, etc.

That's what bugs me about Radiator Springs Racer: based on what we know so far, it seems so half assed when put up against all the other E-tickets.

I do agree with the posts above that many of the Disneyland Fanboy's think that a ride is inherently better because it's at Disneyland.

Prime examples include Haunted Mansion (MK's is better), Space Mountain (MK's is better), Tower of Terror (DHS's is better), etc.

There are some things that Disneyland does better, there are MANY things that WDW does better. The above rides and FOOD being chief among them.

As far as the DCA makeover/cars-land ... honestly, even as a "Disneyland" fan, I'm not really all that crazy for Cars Land. It's also my least favorite of the Pixar movies (although still a REALLY good movie that looks AMAZING in Blu-Ray BTW). They have already cut stuff (like the drive-in restaurant) and as much as I LOVE Test Track and as much as the park needs a "Family" E-ticket, I just wish it was something else as far as theme.

And the other rides they are putting in the land don't do anything for me either.

We could have had Journey, we have volcanoes in California right.

Of course, I'm still under the belief that the "California" theme is on it's way out, they'd be stupid to keep it.

It's also my least favorite of the Pixar movies (although still a REALLY good movie that looks AMAZING in Blu-Ray BTW). They have already cut stuff (like the drive-in restaurant) and as much as I LOVE Test Track and as much as the park needs a "Family" E-ticket, I just wish it was something else as far as theme.

This is probably the #1 thing that keeps me from being more excited about it. I really didn't like Cars at all. So much so that I couldn't even make it all the way through the entire movie.

I find it interested that every new attraction at DCA has brought me back "once" but hasn't kept my attention to want to return again.

Tower I thought was very half-assed. Mania I really liked a lot, but I haven't been on the DCA version since media day. World of Color may be great, but even Fantasmic I haven't bothered to see since 1993 and I've still never seen the WDW version (I'm just not a show person), and Carsland, I'm sure I'll go down and see it when it opens at least...

--Robb

I do agree with the posts above that many of the Disneyland Fanboy's think that a ride is inherently better because it's at Disneyland.

Prime examples include Haunted Mansion (MK's is better), Space Mountain (MK's is better), Tower of Terror (DHS's is better), etc.

I agree with Mansion and Tower, but Space Mountain?

On board audio, smooth ride, and an updated theme makes Space Mountain at DL FAR superior to the one at MK. And I doubt the "Update" will change that.

There are some things that Disneyland does better, there are MANY things that WDW does better. The above rides and FOOD being chief among them.

What? Space Mt is better at MK? You must be talking about the track layout and overall style of the ride rather than show quality (the Disney Difference TM). Let's see, on one hand you have full dark, sound effects, better show elements, 2x seating, and now the Ghost Galaxy Halloween overlay.

MK's has twin tracks, plenty of light pollution, no soundtrack, and let's be honest. It was allowed to fall into a very worn state before the ongoing refurb (here's something both coasts have in common). Hopefully it's getting a first class retouch. Otherwise I'll go with DL's.

Better at MK: Splash Mt, Big Thunder, Mansion, Pooh, Teacups, the firework shows and obviously everything unique to the park.

Better at DL: Pirates, Buzz, Space, Small World, let's throw Fantasmic in here too.

As far as TOT goes, after riding DCA's a bazillion times, my entire family has TOT ADD. The Studios version I once loved so much takes forever to get to the action.

It is tons of fun to compare the shared rides.