TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Again, Wes solves a problem in one sentence where everyone else tries to do so in many paragraphs. You sir, rock.

On a side note, another reason the themes work at Disneyland is because they don't bleed into one another. Whereas at California Adventure, I can be walking down a path with a winery on my right and a wharf to my left. It's just not consistent and doesn't lend itself to any one theme.

I was there Tues after a several year absence. Finally got to check out the Blue Sky Cellar and the construction. Carsland, if they pull it off, will be incredible and the most complete of the "lands." Beyond that though, the rest of the park will be "Six Flagsian" in the random themes running next to each.

Where the Little Mermaid begins, and over to Mickey's Wheel of death - it's just bizarre and will be still after all that money is spent. Jumping Jellyfish, garish souvenir stands, burger invasion, Silly Symphony swings (is it the longest construction period ever for a retheme of a carnival ride?), a pizza place, dino sunglass hut. It's just insane.

They really do need to pick a theme, and imo, it should be animation/walt disney studios. Between WOC, Carsland, Little Mermaid, Silly Symph., Muppets, Toy Story Mania, Bugs, Monsters, Aladdin, Talk to Crush, etc., animation nearly is the defacto theme right now. I wouldn't associate any of that with adventures in CA.

I believe if you look closely at the models the Jumpin Jellyfish, Burger Invasion, Pizza Oo Mow Mow and all of the souvenir stands are being turned into a Beer Garden and will be rethemed. Mulholland Madness is also being rethemed, so that entire area will get the once over.

While this doesn't settle the park's entire theme problem, I think Paradise Pier will be of a much higher quality in look when they are done.

^ Do you really have a strong emotional attachment to the park's former state? I've been going to the park since it opened, and I must admit that while I do enjoy the park, it's nothing near and dear to my heart.

Of course I must not assume that my feelings are the only ones when it comes to this project, but I would think that since nothing is being removed (well, supposedly) that no tears should be shed. Right?

I just saw some pictures over at MiceChat, and it looks like there may now be a credit card option for the boardwalk games (which open soon I believe!).

Well... I don't really have a strong connection with the park's former state...

But as long as they keep the Mission Tortilla Factory I'll be OK.

"Disneyland" was never the "Theme". That's why there are the "Themed Lands". (Main St, Fantasyland, Tomorrowland, Adventureland, etc).

What kind of theme is "The Golden State"??? And what exactly do bugs have to do with it???

Hey, California has bugs in it!

Okay, it's a fair point. The individual lands of Disneyland are more coherent and make more sense than those of DCA. But still, based on what you've said above, it seems that you would agree that Disneyland never even tried to have an overall theme. So is that better or worse than DCA not succeeding in having one?

I guess what I'm saying is, if DCA were called "Construction Wall Park," would we be lauding it as a triumph of consistent theming?

California Adventure really doesn't "mean" anything. But, really, neither does "Disneyland." And if we're going to go after DCA for it, we should really be tearing Epcot a new one!

The main reason Disneyland is so loved is that it literally is the first "theme park." Also, Disney is one of the few parks that actually makes you feel so immersed by the environment. I mean, how many parks are you gonna find four mountains(including space) but DCA is different, because California is a state, not space, the west, or New Orleans. Parts of DCA such as Grizzly are stunning, but certain things such as Maliboomer and a giant orange are really quite an eyesore.

My what a bunch of pessimists we have on here....

in my mind, I think it's going to be better than what we had. We're going from cookie cutter/cardboard cutouts, to at least some 3-D 1/2 decent rides...and we won't actually know if this whole refurb will bring in guests or not until the refurb is actually done! What a revelation...

California Adventure really doesn't "mean" anything. But, really, neither does "Disneyland." And if we're going to go after DCA for it, we should really be tearing Epcot a new one!

The main reason Disneyland is so loved is that it literally is the first "theme park."

Highly debatable. But would I agree that Disneyland is special.

Also, Disney is one of the few parks that actually makes you feel so immersed by the environment.

Well, the point I was addressing was the idea that DCA's lack of a central theme was the problem. To which I countered that Disneyland doesn't have one either. So what you're saying (if I understand correctly) is that Disneyland doesn't really need one because it's just awesome. Which, if true, actually backs up my point that DCA may not be that great, but not because of its lack of a central theme.

So...thanks for agreeing with me.

The Wharf area could EASILY lose the Bread/Tortilla Tour

Noooooo, not the Tortilla factory, they are so warm and fresh and yummy and free.

I would agree with you if you didn't have to sit through the video like in the good old days, back when you could just keep going in and getting free tortillas over and over again.

the video is still worth a free tortilla, too bad they switched them to corn tortillas instead of the old, and good flour ones

I love the video - "Maseca!" They had the flour tortillas when I was there in Feb.

Disneyland may not have one central theme (Unless you count Disney as a central theme, which I suppose you could) but what it does have are a few very well themed areas that don't bleed into one another, which is why it's so immersive. That's what's wrong (In my opinion) with California Adventure. You just have all these "themed areas" that aren't well themed to begin with, and there's no real beginning or end, it just all kind of.. stirs together.

So, I'd say Electerik is right in that it's not due to a lack of a CENTRAL theme, but more that none of the various "themes" work in themselves. That's my opinion anyway.

I sort of liked the 'California' parts to it. But then again, I am from Canada and my idea of what 'California' is, is different to a person from California.

I thought DCA was a okay park. Im really glad I got to see it before the construction. If my mom and I go to California again this summer, I guess will get to take a peak at the construction. Though I would imagine that a few of those projects would be completed by July?

I love the video - "Maseca!" They had the flour tortillas when I was there in Feb.

Hahahaha, I love the video too. "Masecaaa!" never fails to make me laugh! Once me and some of my cousins went through the tortilla factory multiple times not only for the free tortillas, but because we found the video so amusing.

In fact, we filmed it:

I know Walt Disney was against carnival games, however these seem to have an atmosphere that make it very 'disney-like.' The experience makes it worth the dollar (or 3). I especially liked the lights above the horse racing game (the first game in the video).

Definitely better than the original games below the coaster:)

Chris.

(Post 200!!)

^ I doubt that's a coincidence. They get all the kiddies fired up on Toy Story Mania, then they'll bugging mommy and daddy for a wallet-sized picture of President Lincoln so they can play the boardwalk games. It makes perfect sense.

Wait a minute. You're telling me there are midway games right next to a family-oriented attraction, and they actually planned it that way???

Next thing you'll tell me is that they purposefully pump fake popcorn smell to entice people, especially kids, to buy popcorn, and that they intentionally have people exit into a gift shop in order to sell more merch.

^ Am I the only one that this reminds of the whole "moving the Astro-Orbiter to the entrance of Tomorrowland" debacle?

/I see change there...it just doesn't seem like it's accomplishing much.

//Anyway, thanks for the pics!