TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I thought the entire reason Disney made DCA was to bring the thrill into the DLR. By removing or altering what I though was the one place right in the park is crazy. So far I see no thrill rides just a return to the Disney everyone may ride attractions. I am happy to see Screamin stay but looking at the park as a whole, I would have gone another way. What would be wrong with a coaster like Rockin Roller Coaster at MGM in the building the show was in. Put a major E Ticket ride in 2 a year for say 3 years. I though DCA was an attempt to get the 15-25 crowd back to Disney again. I agree with Robb on the story telling dark ride, save them for Disneyland, where they are far better suited and expected.

^ The 15-25 crowd demographic was the wrong market for Disney to go after, as could be seen by the abysmal attendance for the few first years. It obviously didnt work for Six Flags either, look how the shift now is towards families, because families spend more money and book expensive vacations, not 15-25 year olds.

Disney's key demographic is families, and this revamp is refocusing DCA on that demo. They aren't going to continue to build thrill rides if they can make far more money being more well rounded and family conscious.

Great update here, goes with what I heard about The Little Mermaid being a whole lot bigger and much more elaborate than the original tiny dark ride shown in that video for the version planned for DLP:

The best news about this move however comes from the new ride that is going to cause the restroom relocation in the first place. The Little Mermaid attraction slated to take over the current Golden Dreams area, and its surrounding backstage real estate, is looking very promising. We'd told you before that WDI was hesitant to label this one as an "E Ticket" due to it's tame family friendly ride system and G rated plotline. But with the scope and scale of the major show scenes all now decided, anyone who considers the Haunted Mansion an E Ticket will consider Little Mermaid a major E Ticket attraction as well when it opens in 2011.

Also in that update are rumors of the Cars Drive-In diner put on the backburner for now so they don't have to slash ride budgets. Fair trade off and good to hear the new management understands what's more important. Keeping the attractions budget and quality up even if it means scaling back on the shops/restaurants.

^^^Trust me, I have seen a map of that version and it sucked! It was a nice idea but way WAY to small, it was done a way that there was little space left for attractions and expansion, so it would have been just the showcase with very few rides, which is what the West Coast crowd likes.

^^ I was very excited when i read that. The Little Mermaid is my favorite Disney Movie and it never really got the stateside theme park love that I thought it deserved. Yes there was (is?) that show at MGM, which was good but not this good. Maybe this will even make the trip to the other coast and reside in the old 10,000 plot; afterall, that piece of land is right by the grotto.

The “temporary height restriction” for the front seat of Splash Mountain has been raised from 40 inches to 60 inches - From the link.

Did you actually read the story? All it says is that they're trying it out, and its only for the very front seat.

-Mike

I don't know many people younger than 14 years old who aren't at least 5 feet tall.

Plus, I don't think the GP really cares as much whether or not they get the front row, just as long as they get on the ride.

60 inches is crazy! I could see 48 or even 54, but not 60 inches. I'm sure they know what they are doing, but this still seems absurd to me. I wonder if WDW's version will change.

Probably not because the "logs" are not the same. DL's is a traditional log with seats all in one row. WDW's is more of a boat that can fit 2/3 people across. The way the DL's logs are configured there is more space up front than WDW's.

^ It doesn't really matter with the "single seat" logs they now use, with each rider getting their own backrest. (Edit: I think even the signs say "sit anywhere" or something like that)

The change is good for me though, as my brother can no longer sit in the front...

If someone comes in 60 inches in the front row, one it will crush the dreams of a child to sit in the front, two it will block the view for the little kids that want to see, but the freakishly tall person is in the way.

^There are on Ripsaw Falls, and personally, I feel much better on Ripsaw Falls with a lap bar, that drop was freaking huge! And then you pop up out of the house, and FLY out of your seat!

At least they aren't putting lap bars onto Splash Mountain unlike some other parks are.

Why in the world would you need lap bars on a log flume? It's not like there are alot negative-g's on them.

Blame idiots who jump out mid ride, causing an E-stop, which usually causes Popeye to E-stop. So in an instant, your whole island is down.