TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

We're looking at the sweet spot between Thanksgiving and Christmas where crowds are light.  This would be our first time with a child (an infant, at that) in tow and I'm sure Child Swap will be getting a workout from us.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, i305isdaddy said:

That’s the second video of this ride I’ve seen where there’s no music…

Is something broken or did they just forget to score the whole ride? 

🧐

Not sure but might be a YouTube copyright issue, maybe for press/media days they have it turned off.

^ maybe that’s it… but what an odd choice. I wouldn’t think Disney of all companies would want to show off their new attraction in such a state.

The launching animatronic Spider-Man outside the ride seems to be the highlight of the area  

• Like 1

I'm wondering what the "life expectancy" (w/batteries?) of these Spider Bot toys, is?

And honestly, you really need two of them, to at least have a true Bot Battle, lol. 💸

One Spider Bot, wandering around on it's own, is pretty sad to me. 🕸️

Happy Avengers Campus Opening!

I visited Disneyland (I skipped California Adventure) for Sunday and Monday of this past long Memorial day weekend. Although I did take photos, I don't think that my coverage is really appropriate for a photo trip report, so I'll just do a written summary.

Travelling to Disneyland on a long holiday weekend is usually a massive no-no, and themepark operations under California COVID restrictions were always going to be a bit weird. So this probably not the most well thought out plan, but I think I was hoping that the two would cancel each other out. And I figured visiting right now might be an interesting experience.

At the very least, I think Disneyland wasn't the worst case scenario. In spite of Covid restrictions hurting their ability to efficiently group parties together, almost all lines remained sub-hour throughout the entre day (as always, mornings around park opening were nice) The grouping policy does mean that rides that usually rely on multiple long benches of seats were hurt the most - so It's a Small World, Pirates, and the Disneyland Railroad took massive hits to wait times with the former two really only being able to take at most two parties at a time per boat.

I think the implementation of the social distancing policy in regards to lines was not necessarily intuitive to most guests. Although the queues did have markers, they were placed seemingly inconstantly to try to compensate for how some of the permanent ride queues fold back on themselves. Between this and the pressure to not keep guests indoors meant that most of the queues spilled out into the walkways away from the ride entrances. This was most pronounced near the New Orleans waterfront where the much of the walkways was dominated by the Pirates queue. However, most of these massive lines went faster than expected given that these temporary queues were very sparse due to the social distancing markers. In general, I think the majority of guests were trying on some level to observe social distancing when inside the park.

On a lighter note, this was my first time visiting since they added Starwars: Galaxy's Edge. I was pleasantly surprised by both attractions there. Smuggler Run's simulators are higher quality than I had expected and I quite enjoyed seeing if I could accrue as much damage as possible during the ride (I was piloting by myself). And I was also impressed by how nimble the trackless vehicles on Rise of the Resistance were and how well the digital screens coordinated with the vehicle movement.

The other ride that was new to me was the redesigned Snow White. They made minor changes up through the dungeons scenes, but everything after that has been massively revamped. It is undeniably more coherent now and a much better fit for Disney's target demographics, but I think it is less interesting than the old version. My dumb hot take is that I think that it is probably my least favorite of the Fantasyland dark rides now.

Anyhow, sorry for the wall of text. I might add pictures for this post later.

• Like 2

I'm going 14th 15th and 16th and now Disney got me playing the boarding pass practice game every day at noon :lmao:

I got 6 shots at the slot machine, I won the lottery for one of the Tokyo Disneyland shows over 4 days, I'm feeling good about this one!

Edited by jjeerr

• 2 weeks later...

Disney has announced that fireworks will be returning to Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

For Disneyland, Mickey's Mix Magic will be resuming performances starting on July 4.

image.thumb.png.0213a14b62c5d96cb71e5780bbc62e94.png

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/06/fireworks-spectaculars-are-back-at-disney-parks-this-summer/?fbclid=IwAR2VEVo7zVrcqRU3vjQdeP4QRaeWdlI3DGzOM288ta_ZklhflnRZsk6t3ks

What could be more perfect this year than a summertime visit to a Disney theme park? As we continue to see more communities adjust and ease COVID-19 guidelines, there’s a new sense of optimism with many positive signs moving forward. We’re encouraged by it too, seeing more families making travel plans, friends dining out together more often and more Americans returning to work. And at Disney theme parks, we’re gradually bringing back more of our beloved park experiences.

A Disney tradition since 1957, fireworks shows are what Walt Disney called the perfect “kiss goodnight” at the close of a magical day, and this summer the skies above Disney theme parks will sparkle with color once more. Beginning in July, just in time for the nation’s Independence Day celebrations, our incredibly popular nighttime fireworks spectaculars are returning to Disney parks!

--

As Disneyland park in California welcomes back all guests, the fun starts July 4 with “Mickey’s Mix Magic” presented nightly throughout the summer. State-of-the-art projections, show lighting and lasers will transform Main Street, U.S.A., Sleeping Beauty Castle and the façade of “it’s a small world” into a dazzling, family fun dance party that goes sky high with fireworks to celebrate the leader of the club, Mickey Mouse.

oh a great morning at DCA, super quick to get in, I think I was in the web slinger line by 9am with boarding pass group 11🕷🕸🕸

I've gotten boarding passes at both noon windows, and 1 out of 3 for boarding passes at 7am. hopefully my partner makes it in by noon for a shot at rise of the resistance!!!

update: well my partner didn't make it in until 3pm, but I got a Rise boarding pass! it seems like it's the "full experience" but we where moved passed the first show room as it was coming back from a downtime

overall very good trip!!! love the mobile ordering and losing fastpass wasn't too bad (it feels like we traded ride fastpass for food fastpass 🍔🍕🍸)

D9E62763-0189-4C86-972E-07B676EFB3FF.jpeg

75034824-374A-45DF-8839-9FE35FE67834.jpeg

Edited by jjeerr
  • Like 1

Does anyone have an update on the timeframe and length of the line to actually get into the park? Are the lines still the same length as they showed on the news a couple of days ago of it being on the sidewalk of the streets? Thanks in advance!

It has been announced that a new scene inspired by Disney and Pixar's "Coco" will be coming to "Mickey's PhilharMagic" at Disney California Adventure Park on July 17th, 2021!

24tiuh24pgy9gre1.thumb.jpg.514b7849b4ea9c44528ccdc2e06b0600.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/07/disney-and-pixars-coco-coming-to-mickeys-philharmagic-on-july-17/

We can’t keep this news under Mickey’s sorcerer hat much longer. Fans of “Mickey’s PhilharMagic” will soon be tapping to a new song with the debut of an animated scene based on Disney and Pixar’s “Coco.” 

The musical number “Un Poco Loco” will anchor the new scene when it opens to guests at Disney California Adventure park and Disneyland Paris on July 17, before being added to Magic Kingdom Park later this year during the Walt Disney World Resort 50th anniversary celebration.

The film’s fun, upbeat music and characters combined with the humor of Donald Duck marks the first time Disney and Pixar animators have worked on a creative endeavor where characters from both animation studios will be seen together on screen. 

Because music is such an integral part of the show, we were also fortunate to tap one of the film’s original composers – the world-renowned Germaine Franco – to produce a “Coco” score unique to “Mickey’s PhilharMagic.”

Guests will enjoy this new scene alongside all of the show’s current fan-favorite musical numbers. Now it’s time to put on those opera glasses and let the show begin!

24tiuh24pgy9gre2.thumb.jpeg.160e022b72a3f169d2d575d06f48661e.jpeg

• Like 3

Disney has sent us new information on returning fall events at the Disneyland Resort!

1704726854_09_2019__DL_1220.thumb.JPG.dae654389cd83e32384562b80ce69fa6.JPG

Fall Favorites Return to Disneyland Resort with Wickedly Wonderful Magic For All Ages

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2021/07/fall-favorites-return-to-disneyland-resort-with-wickedly-wonderful-magic-for-all-ages/

Calling all fans of frightfully fun family experiences… the Halloween season will once again come to life at the Disneyland Resort! From Sept. 3 – Oct. 31, 2021, you will delight in the spooky fun of Halloween Time, at both Disneyland park and Disney California Adventure park.  You will not want to miss all the treasured magic – from transformed Halloween-themed attractions and sightings of your favorite Disney characters and villains, to seasonal décor and delightfully delicious treats. Downtown Disney District also gets into the spirit with delightful décor, seasonal treats and an all-new Halloween-themed pumpkin hunt, Pluto’s Pumpkin Pursuit.

At Disneyland Park

As you stroll down Main Street, U.S.A. you’ll be greeted by the familiar grin of the Mickey Mouse jack-o-lantern and the cleverly carved pumpkins of the Main Street Pumpkin Festival. Disney characters will be photo-ready in their Halloween best. In New Orleans Square, Haunted Mansion Holiday will feature a merry makeover of the beloved eerie estate, inspired by “Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas.” And every night from Sept. 3 – Oct. 31, in Walt Disney’s original park, you will enjoy a dreadfully delightful treat in the form of “Halloween Screams,” a supernatural projection and special effects show. On weekend nights, “Halloween Screams” will take to the skies and enhance the mischief with fireworks.

At Disney California Adventure Park

Under the spell of Oogie Boogie, favorite attractions will be transformed for the Halloween season. In Cars Land, Radiator Springs will become Radiator Screams, where residents decorate their homes for a unique Haul-O-Ween makeover and transform the attractions. Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree will become Mater’s Graveyard JamBOOree, and Luigi’s Rolickin’ Roadsters will change into Luigi’s Honkin’ Haul-O-Ween. The façade of Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! will spark as the attraction transforms at night into Guardians of the Galaxy – Monsters After Dark, offering an exciting Halloween adventure filled with creepy creatures and thrilling drops. Over on Buena Vista Street, Mickey Mouse and friends will be throwing it back with old-fashioned Halloween costumes. Seasonal décor will add to the Halloween ambiance on Buena Vista Street. Don’t forget to snap a spooky selfie in front of the 10-foot-tall statue of the Headless Horseman holding his jack-o-lantern head to the sky. 

Plaza de la Familia

Also in Disney California Adventure park, experience the return of Plaza de la Familia in Paradise Gardens from Sept. 3 – Nov. 2. This immersive, limited-time celebration is inspired by the tradition of Dia de los Muertos, with exciting live entertainment, festive foods, crafts and interactive experiences. Several times daily, you’ll be able to enjoy “A Musical Celebration of Coco,” a dynamic street show honoring Disney and Pixar’s “Coco” and the everlasting bonds of family. You will also be treated to Mariachi music at Paradise Gardens Bandstand, The World of Coco, an evocative art exhibit, a photo opportunity with a hand-animated figure of Miguel from “Coco,” as well as the iconic Arbol de la Vida (Tree of Life) photo location and memory wall.

Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party

More excitingly spooky news! On 25 select nights, beginning Sept. 9 through Oct. 31, the separate-ticket, after park-hours event Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party will add to the family friendly fun during Halloween Time. At Oogie Boogie Bash, kids and guests of all ages can trick-or-treat their way through the park in their favorite Halloween costumes and encounter characters both spooky and fantastic. At this limited-capacity event, you can experience Disney California Adventure park in a unique way, with exclusive offerings like immersive treat trails, “Frightfully Fun Parade,” Villain’s Grove at the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, “Mickey’s Trick & Treat” show and more. Tickets for Oogie Boogie Bash will go on sale beginning Tuesday, July 13, 2021 (no earlier than 9 a.m. PT) at Disneyland.com/OogieBoogieBash.

There is fun for every ghoul or goblin to enjoy. We hope to see you this fall at the Disneyland Resort!

The Disneyland Resort has shared this press release announcing the debut of the updated Jungle Cruise experience which will debut when the ride officially reopens on July 16th, 2021!

070821CT1Mb-01913.thumb.jpeg.6898479ed1857b87792badbb5500feff.jpeg

A safari of explorers from around the world finds itself up a tree after the journey goes awry on the world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park. Officially reopening on July 16, 2021, Jungle Cruise will offer new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself. (Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort)

The world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park officially reopens on July 16, 2021, with new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself.

Changes to this attraction also are underway in Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort, with completion expected later this summer.

“We’re excited to be building on the story of the Jungle Cruise to include new adventures that stay true to the experience we know and love, while adding more humor, more wildlife, and an interconnected story,” said Chris Beatty, an Imagineer who led creative development of the enhancements. “As part of creative development, we’ve also introduced characters from around the world and took a thoughtful approach to ensure accurate representation of cultures in our story.”

The world-famous Jungle Cruise skippers return to share the unique adventure and interactions that guests expect on this expedition in Adventureland. New scenes have fun with the legendary comedic tone of the attraction, and some unexpected scenarios give the jungle and the animals the last laugh!

What’s new: Disney Imagineers have a longstanding history of updating attractions at the Disneyland Resort and Disney Parks. The expanded backstory centers around Alberta Falls, the granddaughter of the world-renowned Dr. Albert Falls, who is now proprietor of the Jungle Navigation Company Ltd. New scenes include:

• A safari of explorers from around the world finds itself up a tree after the journey goes awry
  • Chimpanzees have taken over the expedition’s wrecked boat
  • A Lost & Found location has turned into a Gift Shop run by Alberta’s longtime friend, Trader Sam

Don’t miss: Jungle Cruise skippers incorporate plenty of gags as they narrate “wildlife” scenes for guests who have boarded a canopied tramp steamer, leaving civilization behind.  Those scenes include:

• Ancient Cambodian Shrine with leaping tigers, lethal cobras and snapping crocodiles
  • Jungle Cruise Safari Camp is a former camp overrun by “explosively” curious gorillas
  • Indian Elephant Bathing Pool where bathing Indian elephants have their “trunks on”
  • The African Veldt where angry hippos and hungry lions are guarding a “sleeping” zebra
  • Schweitzer Falls, where skippers introduce guests to something they may have never seen before – the “back side of water”!

Changes through the years: The tone of the attraction was more serious when it opened, on the first day Disneyland Park welcomed guests in 1955. The river has changed course through the years and additions included the elephant bathing pool, gorillas in the safari camp and a new piranha scene.

Imaginative landscaping: The foliage is designed to look as if it had been created by nature. Since 1955, the Jungle Cruise vegetation has evolved into its own tropical jungle with three levels: the upper canopy, the understory and the forest floor. The “father” of the attraction’s jungle was horticulturist and Disney Legend Bill Evans, who directed the landscaping of much of Disneyland in the 1950s.

Did you know?

The skippers of the Jungle Cruise lead a humorously irreverent expedition, carrying passengers along four rivers: the Nile of Africa, the Amazon of South America, the Irrawaddy of Southeast Asia and the Ganges of India.

Guests will enjoy the return of the Jungle Cruise and also something new at The Tropical Hideaway – a Pineapple Split! Starting July 16 and while supplies last, it will be served in a souvenir container that looks like a Jungle Cruise boat with a red-and-white striped canopy. This “pineapple split” comes with DOLE Whip®, blueberries, strawberries and Mandarin oranges, topped with coconut-caramel sauce, crushed plantains, dried hibiscus and toasted coconut.

070821CT1Mb-01880.thumb.jpeg.c2460e130be4cd8294b288e3a25af306.jpeg

070821CT1Mb-02104.thumb.jpeg.a694ab6aae381f7683b52a8886285de3.jpeg

Alberta Falls asked her longtime friend Trader Sam to run the Lost & Found location, which now looks more like a Gift Shop at the world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park. Officially reopening on July 16, 2021, Jungle Cruise will offer new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself. (Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort)

070821CT1Mb-02096.thumb.jpeg.2355e91d909bfc7d2a8deffca482f660.jpeg

Chimpanzees have taken over the wrecked boat of a safari expedition on the world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park. Officially reopening on July 16, 2021, Jungle Cruise will offer new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself. (Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort)

070821CT1Mb-01976.thumb.jpeg.9fed52c6b6eceeeac62a324753836736.jpeg

The world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park officially reopens on July 16, 2021, with new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself. (Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort)

070821CT1Mb-01939.thumb.jpeg.300b468212f7811261ee696aaf89ecf1.jpeg

Chimpanzees have taken over the wrecked boat of a safari expedition on the world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park. Officially reopening on July 16, 2021, Jungle Cruise will offer new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself. (Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort)

070821CT1Mb-01935.thumb.jpeg.ef1a8f88ed31e0f4ad664c51a76b8c2e.jpeg

070821CT1Mb-01848.thumb.jpeg.e17e27e7fea47d16ea80feda2253cbfe.jpeg

The world-famous Jungle Cruise at Disneyland Park officially reopens on July 16, 2021, with new adventures, an expanded storyline and more humor as skippers take guests on a tongue-in-cheek journey along some of the most remote rivers around the world. The new creative concept is original to Walt Disney Imagineering, just like the classic attraction itself. (Christian Thompson/Disneyland Resort)

070821CT1Mb-01821.thumb.jpeg.fd80b2810aeea90305620dc0b0864886.jpeg

• Like 3

I like how Disney has "plussed" the Jungle Cruise over the years. It's a classic attraction, but it's always had some "problematic" scenes.  The new scenes look great, and I'm looking forward to riding it in November.

• Like 2

Am I the only person who rides Jungle Cruise for nothing but the Skippers and their performances?  Sure the ride and animatronics are cute but c'mon, these are comedy gods at their peak.