TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Disneyland has announced Disneyland Forward, a large-scale master planning effort for the resort!

disneyland-forward-imagine-the-possibilities-header-2xCROP.thumb.jpg.150a5ac5e3b9c9a4b1fc66a1b74f669e.jpg

https://disneylandforward.com/

"Thinking big and leading the way is both our legacy and our best path forward. Now is the time to be bold, to dream, to believe, and to lead! The world-renowned Disneyland Resort is poised to bring back jobs to our community as well as new entertainment and experiences to loyal fans and new audiences for generations to come." -- Ken Potrock, President, Disneyland Resort

We want to bring more Disney investment to Anaheim. However, this simply isn’t possible under current inflexible planning restrictions unless we remove and replace treasured rides and attractions in our Parks today. Without updates, new Disney experiences and placemaking, created from our beloved stories, will likely never find their way to the Disneyland Resort as they have to other parks throughout the world. With DisneylandForward and more flexibility within our existing properties, new lands and adventures like those underway at Tokyo DisneySea and Shanghai Disneyland could inspire new experiences here.

With DisneylandForward and an updated approach, these exciting new lands and attractions coming to Tokyo DisneySea could be the perfect inspiration for the future of Disneyland Park.

• Frozen - Guests visit Arendelle, the home of Elsa and Anna, and explore this 'Frozen' land filled with a thrilling boat adventure as well as a restaurant set inside a castle.
  • Tangled - Rapunzel’s tower overlooks a charming forest where guests board gondolas to the lantern festival to live Rapunzel’s “best day ever” with Flynn. A restaurant where she befriended a band of thieves in the film is also featured.
  • Peter Pan - The Neverland area features two attractions: one that, with the help of Tinker Bell, takes guests on a boat ride following the Lost Boys down a river; and the other taking guests on a journey to the middle of Pixie Hollow, where Tinker Bell and her fairy friends live. The area also includes a restaurant with spectacular views inspired by the Lost Boys’ iconic hideout.

With updated approvals, Disney California Adventure Park could be home to some of Disney’s most technologically advanced, immersive and cutting-edge entertainment, taking cues from these exciting lands and attractions around the globe for inspiration:

• Zootopia - Currently under construction at Shanghai Disneyland, guests will be invited to experience the mammalian metropolis of Zootopia “where anyone can be anything,” with a new major attraction that will seamlessly blend Disney storytelling and state-of-the-art technology to bring this fan-favorite movie and its characters to life.
  • Toy Story Land - As part of Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida, guests “shrink” to the size of a toy and join in the fun in this toy-filled land inspired by the “Toy Story” films. Guests can take a ride on Slinky Dog Dash, a roller coaster Andy assembled from his Mega Coaster Toy Kit. They can also join the little green aliens as they swirl about in their rocket ship toys in the Alien Swirling Saucers. The land also includes carnival games and a restaurant, Woody’s Lunch Box.
  • Tron - Currently open in Shanghai Disneyland and under construction at the Magic Kingdom Park in Florida, the TRON Lightcycle Run roller coaster invites guests to sync the pedal to the moto-metal while twisting and turning in the cyber-fi world in a high-speed race for survival.

This property could be the perfect location to cater to locals, conventioneers, hotel and Disneyland Resort guests with restaurants, hotels, live music, shopping, ticketed shows and theme park experiences modeled after the popular Disney Springs at Walt Disney World Resort.

• Like 2

We want to bring more Disney investment to Anaheim. However, this simply isn’t possible under current inflexible planning restrictions unless we remove and replace treasured rides and attractions in our Parks today. Without updates, new Disney experiences and placemaking, created from our beloved stories, will likely never find their way to the Disneyland Resort as they have to other parks throughout the world. With DisneylandForward and more flexibility within our existing properties, new lands and adventures like those underway at Tokyo DisneySea and Shanghai Disneyland could inspire new experiences here.

This sounds great. This park really seems to bend over backwards more than any other park in the world to make sure things don't get removed. Is it just because it's the original park? Seems like other parks aren't afraid to update or remove in the name of progress. Only thing I'm surprised about is that all the copies of the Tokyo Disneysea rides are boat rides, I would have thought that they'd have gone for a copy of TDL's Beauty and The Beast ride in place of Peter Pan or Rapunzel (Frozen was always going to happen.)

• Like 2

I'm sure that much is going to change about these plans, and they probably are only vague ideas in the first place, but I think that the schematic is kind of suggesting that this will be two expansions for the existing parks with new secondary entrances and another entrance plaza off of Disneyland Drive. That would make the park layouts for both parks kind of strange.

I'm also surprised that all of this is getting announced while Covid is still kind of an elephant in the room.

Still, any plans for possible expansions for the California Disney parks is something to look forward to.

^ And ..... Is it me, or is nothing a coaster ride?  😋 Actually, there are a number of attractions that probably wouldn't be boat rides...

TRON, a coaster; Zootopia, probably a tracked ride; Peter Pan, TDS' Fantasy Springs' version is possibly to be more like Pandora's Flight; Frozen, HKDL's and Paris' version will probably be boat rides. But TDS' version, I am still certain, would be tracked or trackless.

My 7 cents.

EDIT To Add: Actually if there was one clone attraction that could come to DL, please let it be the ShanghaiDL's PIRATES ride! Hey, two Peter Pan attractions in TDLR, why not two Pirates in DLR? <grin>

• Like 1

I mean, let’s be clear - the list of attractions here are absolutely place holders based purely on:

a) the latest lands Disney is building outside California 

b) attractions that aren’t in California

The only thing they’re asking here is for the right to actually plan on the existing land, but in a different way than they agreed to almost 30 years ago. No way this list of “inspiring attractions” should be considered as anything serious. 

I’m personally weirded out by the idea of DL and DCA “annexes” being built across giant bridges from the existing parks, instead of a 3rd gate on the giant parking lot down the street, but I’m sure Strategic Planning has some righteous spreadsheets showing that “this is the way”. 

Unless I'm missing something, simply stated, we're looking at the start of a public relations campaign to expand Disneyland. Of course if the focus is on what it can be, they are going to show the "best of" from other properties.  I like their comment about removing old rides as a starting point to quiet the opposition from the Disneyland elitists who think their park is the best because it is the original park and sometimes oppose change because they are living in the past.

12 hours ago, Lenaapple1974 said:

Is it me, or everything is a boat ride?  😩

They also mention Slinky Dog Dash, along with Tron Lightcycle Run--so, possibly two coasters.

I'm in the camp that none of this is actually gonna happen.

I think its part of a chess match with the City of Anaheim to get planning changes, or tax breaks, or something. They really seem to focus on the "Resort Plan" or whatever they call it, that was passed in the 90's. My guess is Disney is trying to get the City of Anaheim to change the "Resort Plan" from what it is to something that they think is more accommodating to Disney's future plans, or it's just an attempt to get back on good terms with the city after the hotel and gateway project fiascos.

....Or its just a bunch of WDW people stupidly trying (again) to turn Disneyland into the Disney World of the West...when will they ever learn...

^ They're proposing exactly what Tokyo DisneySea is now doing, with their extension called Fantasy Springs. For the gp it's one entry/exit between Raging Spirits coaster and Flying Carpets. And a new hotel which like the Californian in DCA, allows those who stay at it, special entry to the extension park. But in this case, both Disneyland and Paradise Hotels will suffice with the same perk.

The extensions don't fit with the original "shape" of each park, But then, ToonTown wasn't planned within the original berm of DL. And HKDL has practically surrounded the train tracks around the park with extra space for extra "miniLands" to exist. And if (hopefully) it does work in TDS ... who knows?

:mickey:

And just because, here's the view from our Disneyland Hotel room, Easter weekend....1980! And there's The Parking Lot in question, that would turn into an extension of DCA. In the distance, you can see the DL parking lot, which became DCA - the current view would see the IncrediCoaster of Pixar Pier, from the back. And of course, the Convention Center is still there, And the Paradise Pier Hotel would eventually be "somewhere" in the middle there. Maybe on that 1980's plot of green land, perhaps? 😉

IMG_2799.JPG.dcfbd5b61998aea8cb1c392c3c83f0f4.JPG

• Like 2

11 hours ago, swfan1988 said:

I'm in the camp that none of this is actually gonna happen.

I think its part of a chess match with the City of Anaheim to get planning changes, or tax breaks, or something. They really seem to focus on the "Resort Plan" or whatever they call it, that was passed in the 90's. My guess is Disney is trying to get the City of Anaheim to change the "Resort Plan" from what it is to something that they think is more accommodating to Disney's future plans, or it's just an attempt to get back on good terms with the city after the hotel and gateway project fiascos.

....Or its just a bunch of WDW people stupidly trying (again) to turn Disneyland into the Disney World of the West...when will they ever learn...

I hope something happens to expand the parks, but i'm also old enough to remember WestCot and Disney Sea/Port Disney.  I'll have some hope when some dirt is dug somewhere.  I do think it's probably a good time to ask Anaheim for some help getting some permits through.  Anaheim was begging for Disneyland to be able to open.  I'm guessing Disney will be in a better position with Anaheim post pandemic. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what will happen of this but I'm all for expanding Disneyland and DCA, and adding more shops, restaurants, hotels and experiences. I would love to see a Disney water park on the West Coast, like a cross between Blizzard Beach and Volcano Bay but with its own theme, and it could fit easily on that Toy Story parking lot plot of land. 

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 7:37 PM, better_by_design said:

I mean, let’s be clear - the list of attractions here are absolutely place holders based purely on:

a) the latest lands Disney is building outside California 

b) attractions that aren’t in California

The only thing they’re asking here is for the right to actually plan on the existing land, but in a different way than they agreed to almost 30 years ago. No way this list of “inspiring attractions” should be considered as anything serious. 

I’m personally weirded out by the idea of DL and DCA “annexes” being built across giant bridges from the existing parks, instead of a 3rd gate on the giant parking lot down the street, but I’m sure Strategic Planning has some righteous spreadsheets showing that “this is the way”. 

I prefer this much more. It is a right size expansion for the CA market.  A 3rd park not fully connected to the resorts infrastructure and enclosed within the resort bubble would be a horrible investment.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cfc said:

They also mention Slinky Dog Dash, along with Tron Lightcycle Run--so, possibly two coasters.

I think what they're referring to was that all 3 new areas for the Disneyland side expansion were boat rides.

^ And those are all the attractions* in the new DisneySea expansion, called Fantasy Springs, currently being built.

* Except I'm still real IFFY on whether the Frozen attraction is still a boat ride in TDS, or something else... TestTrack/IndyJones-like? That's just me. ✌️ Same for Zootopia in ShDL.... TestTrack attraction. And the New Peter Pan attraction is supposed to resemble a "boat ride" but it looks like (from prior video PR), it might be something like the Avatar Flight attraction in WDW-AK. Very exciting!

22 minutes ago, californiarollercoasters said:

Anyone know if a new pass program will debut with the re-opening? I can't wait to go back but it just doesn't make sense for me to buy a day ticket since I hit Disney pretty frequently. 

That is the million dollar question right now!  I assume we'll see info released next week.  They won't want to release anything tomorrow due to April Fools Day, and then it's the weekend, so hopefully ticketing/pass info the week of the 5th. 

• Thanks 1

I don't mind myself, but the alcohol is creeping further into Disneyland.   I always wanted to try a Meyers Rum/Dole Pineapple Whip, so maybe someday!

"Disneyland adding a second place to buy alcohol in the park

The Blue Bayou will serve beer, sparkling wine and Hurricane cocktails when the New Orleans Square restaurant returns after Disneyland reopens on April 30."

https://www.ocregister.com/2021/03/31/disneyland-adding-a-second-place-to-buy-alcohol-in-the-park/

• Like 2