TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I wouldn't mind at all if both domestic Star Tours attractions got re-themed. They are just simulators and have been operating for 30 years so who hasn't done them at this point. It's probably a more fun ride as Star Tours than most other ideas but Iron Man could work at DL. Thematically it makes no sense to still have Star Tours 3 years from now (though it also doesn't make any sense to have an entire IP land at DL anyway).

As fitting as it is, the problem with bringing the Iron Man ride to Disneyland is that it probably wouldn't make sense in terms of placement since DCA is getting the Marvel Land in the future.

Imo Marvel like Pixar is so vast of a universe that just limiting it to one corner of the resort wouldn't do it justice so I'd be fine with Iron Man going to Tomorrowland while the DCA space is used for other Marvel properties (plus Iron Man does fit TL's mission statement of the possibilities of human achievement).

Imo Marvel like Pixar is so vast of a universe that just limiting it to one corner of the resort wouldn't do it justice so I'd be fine with Iron Man going to Tomorrowland while the DCA space is used for other Marvel properties (plus Iron Man does fit TL's mission statement of the possibilities of human achievement).

I guess that is true. I mean we do have a Toy Story ride in both parks and one of the parks has a bigger Pixar area.

Tomorrowland needs a massive overhaul as it is...

I could see them completely gutting/demolishing Star Tours for a massive re-model of the area that also includes getting rid of the Peoplemover track and old station.

As fitting as it is, the problem with bringing the Iron Man ride to Disneyland is that it probably wouldn't make sense in terms of placement since DCA is getting the Marvel Land in the future.

Those simulators are not difficult to move. They could just move them over to DCA and there you have your Iron Man ride!

Tomorrowland needs a massive overhaul as it is...

I could see them completely gutting/demolishing Star Tours for a massive re-model of the area that also includes getting rid of the Peoplemover track and old station.

Not just Star Tours. Just about every building in Tomorrowland needs to be demolished, save for Space Mountain, if Tomorrowland is really going to take that next step. TRON Lightcycle Power Run would have to be at or near the top of the wishlist if that ever actually happens. Then Disney could blend some IP's together and create some unique experiences. Toy Story 4 and Wreck-It Ralph are upcoming. Wrinkle In Time could also find a home, if it avoids becoming Disney's next John Carter. Perhaps Pixar could cook up a WALL-E sequel and also use that to partially revitalize Tomorrowlands on both coasts.

There's probably no shortage of ideas. Unfortunately they all require the almost complete demolition of the existing Tomorrowland. That's a lengthy, expensive project, but it could be a logical one to undertake after Galaxy's Edge is up and running.

I think Buzz Lightyear fits in fine too. I would agree that the rest of tomorrowland besides space mountain can go though. I'll settle for just removing the peoplemover track in the short term to free up walkway space...

Speaking of the People Mover. Rocket Rods had the potential to be decent. The problem is that they didn't spend the money to do it right. None of the turns or curves were banked and so the car had to slow to a near stop just to make a direction change. And honestly, it would not have been that difficult at all to add banks to the turns. But all Disney saw was the quick turn around a quick buck. It was that kind of shortsightedness that actually accounted for many of the mistakes of the late 1990's and early 2000's.

I'll settle for just removing the peoplemover track in the short term to free up walkway space...

Who's do I have to swallow to get this done?! The bottle necking of people, on top of all the strollers makes it extremely claustrophobic just navigating in and out of the land. If there was a fire or some sort of natural disaster, people are for sure getting trampled to death trying to make it through. I prefer entering Tomorrow land from the Fantasy land side.

So, I agree that the old attraction should be removed when Tomorrowland gets its next overhaul. However, you all do know that Disney already removed the planters and seating around the support structure, right? The rides supports take up very little space now. Yes, it is claustrophobic, but thats because of the stroller parking that is put there, as well as the Astro Orbiter.

Add to all that, there are the rocks and two attractions that have Fastpass entrances right in the land's entrance. And there is some sort of issue right now with long lines building up at the FP entrances (be it guests or the system being slow).

So, It's not just one thing. The whole entire land's entrance needs to be scrapped clean and reorganized.

Point still stands: It's a poorly designed area as it stands now. Astro Orbiter and the rocks are more unnecessary clutter. The park is already packed as it is, so once Star Wars opens I do not envy any of the CM's who will be doing crowd control unless they make a major effort to free up space in the park.

I think once they have the massive amounts of cash after Star Wars opens we will see something done with Tomorrowland. I'm thinking, and hoping, just a refresh. My dream would be to bring back the people mover, but that will never happen. Also, I hope that they finally put a ride or something good in the Carousel of Progress/Marvel Experience/Star Wars or whatever it is now, building.

They need to fix the opening to the land. Do away with the rock work, and whatever necessary reenforcements to move Astro Orbitor back to their original platform. I’m totally with you with the Carousel of Progress, they need to move on and really utilize the space or just demo the building for something new. Hell, incorporate the Tomorrowland Boat ride area. That patch of land has been long neglected.

As I posted this, I remembered seeing some survey team members in the defunct boat ride area. Hopefully, something is going into that area.

^ From what I've found Chuck, it was an attraction listed in Fantasyland:

Motor Boat Cruise was an attraction at Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

Address: Fantasyland, Anaheim, CA 92802, USA

Opened: 1957

Closed: 1993

Park: Disneyland

Riders per vehicle: 3 or 4

Today, this area is now known as the Fantasia Gardens

Interesting that there's an "address" listed for it, lol.

There was an earlier version of the motor boat ride, which was in the lagoon, where the submarine attraction now glides through.

Called the "Tomorrowland Boat Ride," it only lasted one year, the year DL opened. Then they came up with "Phantom Boats" which

were literally in the same place, but they too, were closed soon after, in 1957...and the construction of the Tomorrowland Expansion

(Submarines and Matterhorn) started up, opening eventually in 1959.

tomorrowlandphantomboats3.jpg.be5d1014899d73f841c3b4c1cccbc5c9.jpg

The Tomorrowland Phantom Boats - where the Submarines Lagoon now is (more or less).

And ....."Keep Off Grass"? I guess that meant, "DON'T park the boat and disembark, along the way," lol.

Pretty interesting that there are survey markers by the old cruise dock. Maybe they are looking into a Fantasyland expansion?

And what great ride though of Iron Man! What are the odds of Ant Man taking over Bug's life?

^ I know, lol! That part of Disneyland was pretty barren when you look at old photos of it.

The expansion of Tomorrowland certainly took care of a lot of it, as well as The Matterhorn opening, too.

I'd also like to add, that whenever I read or hear about the "1959 Tomorrowland Expansion,"

I argue that it was just as much a Fantasyland Expansion as it was for Tomorrowland.

Tomorrowland: Monorail, Submarines. (T's Autopia already built)

Fantasyland: Matterhorn, Fantasyland Autopia, Motor Boat Cruise.

AerialView01.jpg.8fd4ff314638cca7d04258b262757c4c.jpg

A great 1959 aerial shot, showing most of the Fantasyland expansion up center.

And all the Tomorrowland stuff is just behind the Matterhorn. And orange groves were still around!

Thanks for the photos. They definitely didn’t waste any time getting started. Being an operator and lead at Screamin’ was definitely a highlight of my theme park career. Can’t wait to ride it again as Incredicoaster.