TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Looks nice. And I'm curious what that new "family friendy" attraction is going to be,

going in there where MaliBoomer used to be. Looks like a mini drop tower.

It kind of looks like Flik's Flyers to me. I hope it's a mini drop tower though.

It 100% looks like Flick's Flyers. Because its the only ride in Bugs Land that can really be saved.

Also... I really do not like this whole Pixar Pier thing. They aren't actually improving the area, they are just repainting and adding little things here and there. Screamin' isn't even getting an enclosed station! They are just changing out the tops of the shade structures in the queue, painting, and adding a new roof line.

I normally can find the 'good' in any project that they do, but this seems like such a wasted opportunity to actually make this area even better. Its a lateral move that only makes that area more disjointed from the remaining rides and attractions in Paradise Park.

Honestly, the only real thing I do like about this is the concept for the new Cover bar and lounge...

What does anyone else think that Grizzly Mountain should be turned into a rollercoaster and the water ride scrapped?

Grizzly River Run is one of the more fun rapids rides out there, so I would hop it never goes away. But, I think that Redwood Creek Challenge Trail would go away for a new ride before anything happens to Grizzly River Run.

What does anyone else think that Grizzly Mountain should be turned into a rollercoaster and the water ride scrapped?

Grizzly River Run is one of the more fun rapids rides out there, so I would hop it never goes away. But, I think that Redwood Creek Challenge Trail would go away for a new ride before anything happens to Grizzly River Run.

I agree, it is one of the better ones. My son loves the Redwood Creek Challenge, but I would much rather see it go than Grizzly River Run. The challenge has some fun stuff, but I've always thought it was a waste to spend that much money to get into the parks, just to go to a playground.

^ I for one hate rapids rides. I don't find them fun at all. For one thing no one ever goes river rafting in a round boat. Maybe if the boats were a more realistic design it would be different. But that's just me.

People don't normally flip upside down while in a vehicle with wheels either. Better stop making roller coasters because that's not realistic! It's a theme park ride.

I don't like water rides in general, but rapids rides are great fun in a group---the random spinning nature of the rides make it fun to laugh at the person who gets soaked (or be laughed at if that is you). Grizzly is one of the better ones out there with the drop.

^ You're comparing apples to oranges. My point is that the thing that makes real river rafting fun is missing from the rides. As it is people only ride them because they get you wet in summer. They have zero thrill factor otherwise. My idea of fun isn't watching someone else get wet and then laughing at them. I've done real white water rafting and I gaurentee that if rafting rides had a boat more like a chute the chutes style the thrill factor would go way up.

^ You're comparing apples to oranges. My point is that the thing that makes real river rafting fun is missing from the rides. As it is people only ride them because they get you wet in summer. They have zero thrill factor otherwise. My idea of fun isn't watching someone else get wet and then laughing at them. I've done real white water rafting and I gaurentee that if rafting rides had a boat more like a chute the chutes style the thrill factor would go way up.

That sounds like a you problem...

I've done real white water rafting and I gaurentee that if rafting rides had a boat more like a chute the chutes style the thrill factor would go way up.

Rapids rides have round boats so that they can safely navigate the trough without the need for a guide with a paddle or a rudder to keep the boat facing the right direction. It's safer because there's no human element involved and it's more efficient because you don't have to tie up an employee in every raft. If you go on a rapids ride expecting an authentic rafting experience, you're probably doing it wrong.

Rapids rides are insanely popular and often feature the longest line in their park, especially Grizzly River Run. I visited DCA on a hot day when the park was not very busy and GRR had a 2 hour wait for most of the day. Just because it isn't fun for you doesn't mean it's unpopular and needs to go.

...It 100% looks like Flick's Flyers. Because its the only ride in Bugs Land that can really be saved.

Screamscape.com enlarged that area and posted it, which definitely shows a ride like Flick's Flyers.

Not to mention the wall of memory globes (?) surrounding it.

PixarPier01.jpg.385e4f4c11a9bccc6951c708159c0566.jpg

Enlargement from screamscape.com

The Pixar ball is clearly behind mickey on the wheel. It looks like they couldn’t make up their mind and ended up photoshopping Mickey onto the concept art.

This whole thing is a terrible overlay.

I'm sure Incredicoaster appeals to someone, as does retheming the classic look of Paradise Pier to the technicolor nightmare of Pixar Place. It isn't me though. I wish they'd just save the money and plug it into the Marvel expansion.

Is the carousel gone in the concept art? Looks like a circus tent or something. I can't imagine why that couldn't just be flipped over to Nemo/Dory. DCA certainly isn't in the position were they can keep reducing capacity by reducing the number of attractions. Not a fan of the overlay. If they wanted a Pixar neighborhood, the backlot is just as good a place with Monsters being there.

With Screaming, there is more of an opportunity to do something with the brake run into the station. Nothing but a blank wall to stare at as the ride ends. A new roofline and shade structure is just not cutting it. Or even fountains timed to trigger with each launch? Paint and sound track is not a "new" attraction.

On GRR, I actually ride it year round, except on cold nights. It is one of the highlights of DCA for me. I think there is an opportunity for them to maybe fit in another attraction like a mine train coaster from FL. If they used part of the Redwood Creek play area, crossed over the paths, and used part of the walking trails of GRR that no one ever seem to use. Or even a flat ride themed to mining/forestry on one of those GRR empty trails.

The carousel is still there. Its located in the Toy Story Neighborhood, and has Jessie out front, and it looks like shes riding a stick horse. So, we could guess its going to be Toy Story Themed, and remain a carousel.

The Pixar ball is clearly behind mickey on the wheel. It looks like they couldn’t make up their mind and ended up photoshopping Mickey onto the concept art.

This whole thing is a terrible overlay.

OMG, I didn't even notice that! It does look like that...

I don't like the name Pixar Pier. It sounds like a project code name. I want to visit the worlds that Pixar creates instead of some place that celebrates the studio that created them, if that makes sense.

Makes sense to me. Like Cars Land and A Bugs Land for example? You'd rather actually visit Metroville, not just ride a roller coaster?

Edited by WestCoasterKing