TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I know that all those independent hotels pull in a lot of dough. That's why the tiny hotel Disney bought was $32 million even though it was a dump. But I wonder how much the resort will hurt them? I mean the current hotels don't seem to effect them much.

Disney paid $32 million because there is no real estate available across the street from the park.

All businesses on harbor will see a drop in revenue if Disney succeeds in drawing the majority of its guests to enter on the other side of the property.

I know that all those independent hotels pull in a lot of dough. That's why the tiny hotel Disney bought was $32 million even though it was a dump. But I wonder how much the resort will hurt them? I mean the current hotels don't seem to effect them much.

Disney paid $32 million because there is no real estate available across the street from the park.

All businesses on harbor will see a drop in revenue if Disney succeeds in drawing the majority of its guests to enter on the other side of the property.

^This. Disney, after trying the nice way, is flexing with both the businesses and the city. It's no coincidence this coincides with Disney cancelling race events in Anaheim and Disney cancelling their multi-million dollar subsidizing of ARTIC.

If they could get everything between Harbor, Katella and I-5 that would be about 156 acres. I could see them incorporating the existing the Anaheim Garden Walk into a eastern Downtown Disney and remember they have a huge 90 acre parking lot south of Katella and east of Harbor as well. I think they call it the Toy Story Lot. Granted that is probably twenty years or more down the line if ever. But I've heard rumors that Disney wants all of that. They also want the final piece of land on the northwest corner of Harbor and Katella right behind Cars Land and the future Marvel Land..

By the way I wonder if they would ever close off Harbor if that third park were to ever happen.

Well, the concept art for the new hotel isn't exactly inspiring. Kind of bland and sterile, looks more like an office complex based on the preliminary art. Would have love to have seen the Star Wars hotel concept from Florida announced instead. I suppose this means monorail stops operating with a couple of years as the hotel construction swallows up the monorail stop.

On positive note, at least they are finally building another garage next to Mickey.

If they could get everything between Harbor, Katella and I-5 that would be about 156 acres. I could see them incorporating the existing the Anaheim Garden Walk into a eastern Downtown Disney and remember they have a huge 90 acre parking lot south of Katella and east of Harbor as well. I think they call it the Toy Story Lot. Granted that is probably twenty years or more down the line if ever. But I've heard rumors that Disney wants all of that. They also want the final piece of land on the northwest corner of Harbor and Katella right behind Cars Land and the future Marvel Land..

By the way I wonder if they would ever close off Harbor if that third park were to ever happen.

Disney actually had an opportunity to purchase Garden Walk years ago when the thing first opened and flopped. We were initially surprised by the decision to not purchase given the property continuity it could have created, but there were strings attached to the purchase (must construct the planned-but-never-built hotel, must keep Katella facing tenant plan intact, must allow Convention Center to use parking lot, etc.) since the city didn't want yet another dirt lot/parking lot/abandoned lot in the Resort area. At that time Disney was going through its own cuts and wanted it for the land, not the shopping center, so they passed.

Anaheim is the current owner so I doubt any purchase overture from Disney would be met with a lot of friendliness.

The city Anaheim does not own gardenwalk.

Oops, I re-read my post and you're right. Even in 2010 when the site was up for auction Anaheim didn't really own GardenWalk, just some of the land and a share of the parking facility. They had originally acquired it as part of the "Pointe Anaheim" project and they did sell off a portion of the land prior to the original developer, Anaheim GW, developing it into GardenWalk in exchange for the city gaining greater control of the parking facility (specifically, they sold the parcel at Disney Way and Clementine, north of the fire station), but maintained some land ownership and a stake in the parking facility through the Anaheim Redevelopment Agency (now Anaheim Community and Economic Development) and tight control of the development through the Conditional Use Permit and District Development Plan. That said GardenWalk was really always owned by entities other than the city.

Since the Redevelopment Agency was forced to liquidate a significant portion of their holdings when AB 26 passed, I suppose GardenWalk related holdings could have been part of it. I texted my former co-worker in Planning/Integration at Disney about the current status of the property and he wasn't sure. He said the property hasn't really been on their radar since the 2010 auction made it clear, through the Conditional Use Permit and Anaheim's interest in the parking facility, that Disney would have had to maintain GardenWalk as a retail/hotel district with little control over it's development. From what I recall when I worked on the team studying the property, the bank that had control of it's assets wanted $200+ million for it as well but Disney wasn't willing to offer even a quarter of that (I think the best offer from *anyone* ended up being $70 million, which was rejected, but don't quote me on the numbers). After we were asked to study the hotel portion of the property to try and make a partial offer to build a hotel, but before we even finished we were told to move on other projects. It sounded like that was done because of a last minute request from the City but there was never a lot of interest in developing a hotel there, particularly at that time. Disney was even asked to manage one of the hotels (the Marriot parcel, which I believe is the north east parcel) to try and spur development/bids. It's amazing how much the economy has changed since then...

Because I'm bored and still more curious about this than I should be, I looked up the most recent Conditional Use Permit for GardenWalk, the zoning document that killed Disney's interest in the property in 2010. It's still extremely restrictive, although it has changed in 2017 to allow more "entertainment" venues in place of some retail. It still requires hotel development, still gives Anaheim a lot of control over the parking facility, and still requires a sizable retail operation. I can't find any info on land transfers/sales in the south east portion of the property (where Anaheim used to own parcels) but the Community and Economic Development agency implies they don't have commercial/industrial land holdings anymore.

The property was purchased by Arcturus Group, Avenue Capital Group and Elliot Management – investment and real estate companies.

Don’t know who any of those are, but they own it. Arcturus operates it.

The property was purchased by Arcturus Group, Avenue Capital Group and Elliot Management – investment and real estate companies.

Don’t know who any of those are, but they own it. Arcturus operates it.

They purchased the majority of the property in 2012. Arcturus specializes in "economically" challenged properties - aka cheap properties with high potential. The property was purchased in 2012 from the bank owning the debt but I still can't find any record the land and parking facilities were fully turned over (but, again, based on Anaheim's recent statements and the dissolution of the RDA, I'd be surprised if Anaheim owned any of it now).

Disney Parks Blog

Pier-2.thumb.jpg.be39cbcc6b622b7bf3040c353a318a27.jpg

Pixar Pier to Bring New Incredicoaster and More to Disney California Adventure Park Summer 2018

Summer 2018 will bring a transformed land for guests to experience at Disney California Adventure park when Pixar Pier opens along the southern shore of Paradise Bay, with newly themed attractions, foods and merchandise throughout. This new, permanent land in the area that is now Paradise Pier will introduce four new neighborhoods representing beloved Disney·Pixar stories.

pier1.jpg.58f9145fe2ddc289e74f48322c3c837a.jpg

The first of the four themed neighborhoods guests will find is inspired by “The Incredibles.” Here, the new Incredicoaster, permanently transformed from the attraction that is now California Screamin’, will open with Pixar Pier in summer 2018. This new experience will feature a mid-century-modern-style loading area, new character moments and a new look for the ride vehicles. To prepare for this transformation, California Screamin’ will close Jan. 8.

The popular Toy Story Mania! will anchor the “Toy Story”-inspired neighborhood. A neighborhood inspired by “Inside Out” will be found on the western side of the boardwalk and will welcome a new family-friendly attraction, scheduled to open at a later date.

The fourth neighborhood will be a celebration of many of your favorite Pixar stories. In this neighborhood, Mickey’s Fun Wheel will have a new look, with each of the 24 gondolas featuring different Pixar characters and the iconic face of Mickey Mouse remaining on the Paradise Bay side of the wheel. At the Games of the Boardwalk, which already includes the Bullseye Stallion Stampede game, all of the midway games will be inspired by Pixar characters. Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Games of the Boardwalk and Sideshow Shirts will close Jan. 8 to begin this transformation.

Ariel’s Grotto restaurant and the Cove Bar will be transformed into a new lounge and grill offering sparkling views of Paradise Bay and the new Pixar Pier. Both locations will close Jan. 8, with Cove Bar reopening briefly in April before closing again for its permanent transformation. Guests wishing to reserve “World of Color” dining packages after Jan. 7 may consider Carthay Circle Restaurant or Wine Country Trattoria.

The remaining areas of the land that is now Paradise Pier, including Paradise Gardens, Silly Symphony Swings, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, Goofy’s Sky School, Golden Zephyr and The Little Mermaid ~ Ariel’s Undersea Adventure, will become a new land called Paradise Park.

cars.jpg.84e8395cb8724c6f804799bddebe3bb8.jpg

Pixar Pier will open during the limited-time Pixar Fest celebration, which begins April 13. The celebration will include the new “Together Forever – A Pixar Nighttime Spectacular” fireworks as well as the return of Pixar Play Parade and “Paint the Night” parade, and much more throughout the entire Disneyland Resort.

You can read more about what’s coming to Pixar Pier in the November issue of Disney twenty-three magazine, from our friends at D23: The Official Disney Fan Club. Keep an eye on Disney Parks Blog for more as the permanent transformation of Pixar Pier gets underway!

Edited by jedimaster1227

^

Shhhhhhh. I still want Jingle Cruise to come back, instead of only being in WDW.

~~~

EDIT: How busy are the crowds at the parks, the week after Thanksgiving Week?

I might do a 2019 visit during that time, to actually see and enjoy Christmas there, for once.

Of course, who am I kidding, for Galaxy's Edge's First Christmas?

It'll be slammed, packed, whatever. Hmmm. Have to re-think those plans.

Looks nice. And I'm curious what that new "family friendy" attraction is going to be,

going in there where MaliBoomer used to be. Looks like a mini drop tower.

It kind of looks like Flik's Flyers to me. I hope it's a mini drop tower though.

I'm curious if Incredicoaster will have all new trains or just repainted and refurbished old vehicles.

Sounds to me like it'll be the same trains refurbished.

I'd love if they could get the sleeker, lap bar only trains but that's just wishful thinking. I'm not a fan of the name, but I am intrigued to see how they theme it to the Incredibles.

^

Shhhhhhh. I still want Jingle Cruise to come back, instead of only being in WDW.

~~~

EDIT: How busy are the crowds at the parks, the week after Thanksgiving Week?

I might do a 2019 visit during that time, to actually see and enjoy Christmas there, for once.

Of course, who am I kidding, for Galaxy's Edge's First Christmas?

It'll be slammed, packed, whatever. Hmmm. Have to re-think those plans.

The week after Thanksgiving is traditionally one of the better times to visit in terms of crowds with the holiday decor up. Of course who knows by 2019 what it will be like...