TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

For the parks, I don't think they will pull the trigger on a Marvel Land reveal quite yet. Maybe Disney will just do a slow rolling build up to it? Clone over Iron Man from overseas, doing a Marvel attraction every two years until it is a land. In my personal opinion, would be best to add something significant to DCA the same year as SWL, just to divert some of the crowds but that is highly unlikely.

I actually am hoping for a bit more detail on how the guest interacts with Star Wars Land and the reputation system. I think sounds really interesting. I would expect the park focus to be on Star Wars Land, here and in FL, maybe something on Toy Story in FL. I expect a presentation on the new edition of Fantasmic, and about the return of the trains. It would be nice to know a bit more about how they are transitioning Halloween time over to DCA vs. Disneyland, and if/when Paint The Night is returning. Maybe PTN goes to DCA and MSEP stays at Disneyland?

I think that a Marvel Land is a lock for Hollywoodland at this point. According to the local news, Mission Breakout has a higher guest approval rating than Tower of Terror did, and everyone seems to love it when I've ridden it. Marvel films are entering a golden age in my opinion, with their most recent films being among their best. I think it will be a land when all is said and done, but might open attractions in stages (i.e. New Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom). As a defense of Marvel taking a large chunk on DCA over, that part of the park used to be dead, even before Tower of Terror closed. Ever since they opened Mission Breakout and started the Summer of Heroes festivities, it is easily more crowded than Cars Land. As for if this land is revealed at D23, we'll just have to wait until next weekend to find out.

Do you think they will ever rename California Adventure itself? With Cars Land and A Bug's Land and now Marvel Land. Paradise Pier has already basically become Fantasy Land. It's not really California themed anymore.

What name do you think would work better? There is no unifying theme anymore. Pixar, Marvel, and California Adventure? "DCA" would probably work like when Kentucky Fried Chicken changed names to "KFC". It actually sounds kind of cool, like an old plane.

The park is pretty busy consistently, summer days can be hectic. I was there on June 28th (a Wednesday), and July 4th. It was busier on the 28th than the 4th. Really odd. There are a few web sites with crowd trackers. One thing to check is the AP blackout days calendar. Luckily, two tiers of the AP are blocked out weekdays during July. On Saturdays in July, the deluxe pass holders are blocked out as well. That might be the best day to go.

As far as name change, the name DCA works if it is not taken too literally. It is not like there is any representation of skiing/winter sports or surfing in the park either, which are "California" adventures. Although, wouldn't it be great to see a attached waterpark near Paradise Pier? Huge lagoon/wave pool and a lazy river, like say Mandalay Bay in Vegas. With Pixar, Marvel, and Disney Animation being headquartered in CA, there is that connection to the DCA name. Plus, with the Marvel attractions coming up being "exclusive" adventures available only in CA (vs. WDW), the DCA name will make more sense as the years go on.

More changes to FastPass have gone into effect. The system has become electronic but the MaxPass phone app functions are not available yet.

What happens now is the FP machines store each reservation onto your park ticket directly. The paper ticket that is spit out now only serves as a reminder and a receipt. This is still useful because the Disneyland phone app does not keep track of your FP reservations yet. The new scanners at the FP entrances of each ride scan your park ticket to redeem the FP reservation just like at WDW. But since there's no Magic Bands, we have to haul out our park ticket from our pocket, purse, or whatever safe place they were being stored at each ride. As you can imagine, this sometimes creates lengthy queues at the FP entrances. Most of the time though, people seemed to be doing just fine with it. There are signs posted and CMs audibly warning guests approaching FP entrances to get their park tickets out.

One interesting circumstance that I noticed was that now almost all FP return windows were opening a few minutes after the reservation was made, right as the reservation was being made, or in some cases, even before the reservation was made. It used to be even with a 20-30min standby wait time, the FP window wouldn't be for another 2ish hours later. Yesterday, several times, it was immediate, or 30-60mins later. At about 5:30pm Star Tours had a 25min wait time, but the FP return window was 5:30pm-6:30pm. I happily picked up a FP and went straight in through the FP entrance. Didn't mind that at all!

Also, somehow, Radiator Springs Racer FP distribution lasted well past 5pm, after Guardians' FP had sold out. The standby queue never went much past 60mins. Aside from Splash Mountain, the longest wait I saw was for Space Mountain at around 60mins. Fantasyland was in the 10-35min range pretty much all day. Pretty crazy for a Saturday in July. If price hikes and summer AP blackouts are responsible for this, I'm all for it! It all made for a terrific day.

Overall there's a few headaches, but it will work just fine once people are used to this slightly different way of using FP. Here's some pictures I took yesterday of the new changes:

19780535_2067318303293878_8387790099098879816_o.jpg.ddf7a982977e4af8e1435a04182572f7.jpg

Just picked up my FP and as of 5 minutes ago, I can ride. Totally OK with this!

566054460_IMG_7291-Copy.JPG.52f98c386a1ffae19e3317055d4de573.JPG

Noted!

1028345265_IMG_7293-Copy.JPG.abdf6f3bf7ba0489646c6f2caa4c71b1.JPG

Here's the new FP scanners. There's some similarity to WDW's but no Mickey heads.

1883760431_IMG_7294-Copy.JPG.05ed8a771cbf30249758106abbe1a412.JPG

Scan your park ticket or AP barcode and you're good to go! Easy, but I still wish I could use my Magic Band instead of having to fish this out multiple times.

The Legacy FP system used to have a 40 minute buffer for the distribution time. Meaning when the park opened in the morning, the first available FP Return time was 40 later.

This buffer has been removed, and that did two things to how guests interact with the system. First, as you mentioned, some rides have return times that are very short, or immediate. This is happening because the attraction is passing out more FP per 5 Minute time block then what guests are taking. So, every 5 minutes, a new batch of FP are available. It demonstrates how many people don't know how to use FP, and don't understand the system.

Second, removing that 40 minute buffer allows for the attraction to hand out more FP during the day. A total of....40 Minutes worth of FP, haha. So in regards to what you saw at Racers, that could have been part of the reason why, but how busy the park is would be the main reason. Saturdays are less busy then Friday or Sundays right now because most Annual Passholders are blocked out then. So, the park is mostly full of actual tourists. And that circles back to my first point, of people (mainly tourists) don't know how to use FP.

We'll have to see how Max Pass affects these two things. It will likely mean that more people will use FP if they don't have to walk all the way over to the attraction.

Also, as a side note: I also don't like taking my Pass out to use Fp. I get nervous that I will somehow lose it. But, there are a couple solutions! If you have the Disneyland App, and are an Annual Passholder, you can add your pass to the app! This is what I did when the App first launched. It stores your bar-code, and you can use it for scanning your FP when you return to an attraction since you use your park ticket now! Or, if you don't have the App, or a pass, take a good, clear, picture of your park ticket. It works exactly the same. Better still, put that picture as your phones lock screen, and then you don't even have to unlock your phone!

Just a question, but is there any purpose for the bar code at the bottom of the paper FastPass reminder? It almost makes it seem like you would still be able to use that instead of your ticket (at least for now, while they're still handing out paper reminders).

The bar code at the bottom changed with the new system. It is the same as your park admission bar code now. So, you can still scan your FP Ticket like you used to, but Disney is trying to get people to use their park tickets. It is believed that they will one day stop handing out paper fast passes, or stop printing the bar codes on them at least.

Disney Parks Blog reports MaxPass goes live on 7/19. $10/day/person or $75 for all AP's that are not Premier or Signature Plus.

Disney MaxPass to Debut July 19 at the Disneyland Resort

Erin Glover

by Erin Glover, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

We are excited to announce that Disney MaxPass will launch July 19 at the Disneyland Resort! Disney MaxPass will help guests to maximize their experience at the Disneyland Resort by providing unlimited Disney PhotoPass downloads from the day, and by enabling the convenience of mobile Disney FASTPASS booking and redemption times while in the theme parks through the Disneyland App. If guests are not already registered for a Disney account, registration is fast and simple. Download the app and follow the prompts to register for an account.

Disney MaxPass will be offered for an introductory price of $10 a day. Guests may purchase Disney MaxPass when they purchase their ticket, or as an add-on through the Disneyland App once they enter either theme park. Disneyland Resort Annual Passholders also will have the option of purchasing Disney MaxPass for the life of their current passport for $75. Signature Plus passholders will receive Disney MaxPass at no additional cost, as part of their annual passport entitlement.

Since we announced Disney MaxPass in January, we have added two additional Disney FASTPASS locations at Toy Story Mania and Matterhorn Bobsleds, bringing the total number of attractions to 16. Guests will continue to have the option of Disney FASTPASS service at no additional cost by obtaining a Disney FASTPASS return time with their park admission ticket at attraction Disney FASTPASS kiosks.

The introduction of Disney MaxPass is part of our ongoing commitment to providing guests with opportunities to customize their experiences and make it even easier than ever to create unforgettable memories. Watch for another Disney Parks Blog post soon for an example of how Disneyland Resort guests can start enjoying Disney MaxPass on July 19.

Guests are strongly advised to check the day’s FASTPASS ticket availability and other Park details before purchasing Disney MaxPass or using a Park ticket with Disney MaxPass as FASTPASS tickets for your preferred attractions may not be available at the time of purchase or use. FASTPASS tickets are limited and availability is not guaranteed. FASTPASS tickets may be obtained only while you are in the Parks and may not be available for entertainment through Disney MaxPass. An experience that does not have Disney FASTPASS availability at a kiosk will not be available using Disney MaxPass. The Disney MaxPass benefit will expire at the end of the day or when the Passport it is associated with expires, as applicable. Disney MaxPass is nonrefundable, nontransferable, may not be redeemed for cash and is subject to other restrictions. Price, terms, entitlements, attractions and entertainment are subject to change or cancellation without notice. Passholders who purchase the Disney MaxPass benefit may not use the value of any separate ticket media toward the purchase price of Disney MaxPass.

Disney PhotoPass service is subject to the PhotoPass terms found in https://disneyland.disney.go.com/photopass-terms-conditions/. Online registration required. Disney PhotoPass Photos captured during the day your Disney MaxPass is used or during the validity dates of your Passport, as applicable, must be linked to your Disney account and may be downloaded pursuant to the expiration policy at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/photopass-expiration-policy/. Not responsible for missing, lost or damaged photos. Downloads are restricted to personal use by Disney account holder only and may not be used for a commercial purpose. Subject to restrictions and change without notice.

Message, data and roaming rates may apply for the Disneyland app. Availability subject to handset limitations and features may vary by handset or service provider. Coverage and app stores not available everywhere. If you’re under 18, get your parents’ permission first.

Disney Parks Blog

, wouldn't it be great to see a attached waterpark near Paradise Pier? Huge lagoon/wave pool and a lazy river, like say Mandalay Bay in Vegas.

Yes! That parking lot south of the hotel is huge and with the new parking garages they are building east of Harbor Blvd that might free it up.

Now that photos have been released (and posted, and posted and posted and...) of The Model of The New Land

(and it looks awesome by the way), has anyone been to the construction area, lately? And taken new photos?

Just me being curious.... and pushy.

Wow, so much news from D23 this weekend, although I feel that Walt Disney World got most of the really good stuff.

In any case, I'm excited that we're getting a Pixar-themed fireworks show for Disneyland AND Paint the Night will be returning to California Adventure!

As for Pixar Pier, I'll have to see some more concept art. So far, it just looks like only the carnival games will be rethemed.

Thanks Chris!

After seeing video: O M G ~ it's becoming harder and harder to look into it all!

Which is great, because now with the model revealed at D23 EXPO, it's all

perfectly coming together, front to back, and in between. Definitely worth

exploring, I'd say!

So... Why is there all this hatred about the D23 announcements? Everyone is acting like DL was forgotten and WDW is getting so much. Do people really have that short of memories? Excusing the fact that DLR is way smaller and can't get as many major additions without losing something else, does nobody remember that DCA just had a billion dollar makeover? You can't get that every couple of years.

I keep reading everyone saying WDW is getting great new stuff and DLR is getting a crappy overlay to one of the last areas of DCA that "celebrates California" like the park was intended to do. But since the day DCA opened everyone complained that the California theme was a terrible thematic choice. Now Disney is destroying that? Isn't that what everyone wanted? Also, Paradise Pier has always been a hodgepodge of half-ass. It was never beautifully themed, it's rides don't follow a coherent story or thematic idea, and the remodel only fixed a few things and left other stuff painfully more obvious in it's cheapness. A Pixar overhaul would give everything a story, a reason, and a bit more emotional weight (people love Pixar). If it's the lack of California thing people hate, Pixar is California based up in Emeryville. Furthermore this overhaul opens the possibility of getting some wasted space (Maliboomer) finally used for something good.

Further than that, DL is getting Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge which is going to be amazing, as well as what promises to be an immersive Marvel themed land. That all sound fantastic to me. I don't get why that's overlooked as if WDW got everything good. Also, face it, WDW is the far superior resort and really needed some of the enhancements they are getting.

I guess what I find funny is just all the crying that WDW is getting more and DL gets nothing, but if Disney tried to do something at DLR like what they are doing at Hollywood Studios, where half the park was essentially razed, DL Fanboys would lose their shit (I mean look at their reaction to GotG).

Anyone else excited for DL's upcoming additions? Am I the only one tired of the negativity regarding what Disney does with the parks? Should I just shut up?