TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Had an odd thing happen with the FP on the 28th. Got a FP for Screaming at 11am, and the return time was listed at 11:10. The standby line was 40 minutes btw. I overheard some other guests had that happen on a other FP machines too. I think there might be some bugs in the new system as they are gearing up to the Maxpass.

It is quite handy to have it linked to the AP/ticket now. They still give you a little reminder ticket.

I know the same thing happens to the FPs on the Haunted Mansion, where if you get your pass at 11 a.m. the return time is 11 a.m. I don't quite understand what's going on myself, but I'd agree that it's probably just a few kinks they're still working out. Still, can't wait for that Maxpass! No more having to run full speed to get a Fastpass!

I don't think it's a glitch. They're doing that on a bunch of rides, and the times are listed in the app for reach ride distributing FP. I think they're testing how it will affect crowd control. At the moment there is now cool down period for this, so if a ride is currently at the FP tier of "ride right now", you can keep getting them and ride over and over....

It is not a glitch. The FP System used to have a 40 minute buffer for the return time that was removed when they switched over to the new system.

Also, we have some concept art for the new Splitsville coming to Downtown Disney!

adhf234.thumb.jpg.762f5deb13113ec5223a914037b3a455.jpg

Take a Look! Splitsville Luxury Lanes Taking Shape in Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort

John McClintock

by John McClintock, Disneyland Resort Public Relations

Regular visitors to the Downtown Disney District at the Disneyland Resort may already have observed the ongoing stages of construction for Splitsville Luxury Lanes, a family-friendly restaurant with a unique combination of dining, bowling and live entertainment scheduled to open this winter.

Now it’s time to really start thinking about how we’re going to rock (with the live entertainment) and roll (on the Splitsville lanes). Above, we have an illustration of what Splitsville Luxury Lanes will look like when it welcomes its first guests.

The development team is creating a spectacular environment which will fuse modern and retro elements for a lively yet comfortable atmosphere to please guests of all ages. The 40,000-square-foot, two-story facility will be brightened with floor-to-ceiling windows, ample outdoor seating in an expansive patio overlooking Downtown Disney District, two state-of-the-art kitchens, and live entertainment daily.

Like its counterparts throughout the U.S.A., Splitsville Luxury Lanes at Downtown Disney District will be a dynamic recreation destination offering a unique combination of dining, drinks, bowling and entertainment. Features include 20 bowling lanes interspersed throughout the location, four dining areas (indoors and out), two billiards tables, more than 25 flat screen TVs, and the ability to host both live performers and DJs.

The eclectic Splitsville menu will mix lane favorites like hand-tossed pizza and gourmet burgers with chef-driven specialties like grilled avocado with ahi tuna and filet sliders.

And later this year, when the time comes for rockin’ and rollin’ at the newest Downtown Disney District destination, you should try a Splitsville specialty … fresh-rolled sushi, including the signature Splitsville “Fantasy Roll.”

Disney Parks Blog

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in since it's all the Pirates rides but I figured this one since out of all the parks this seems to be the one with the most purists: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/29/auction-scene-in-disneylands-pirates-of-the-caribbean-to-no-longer-auction-brides/

Good for them. No more pirate pimping. Next up, we got to get rid of all the gluten in the park. It is silently poisoning everyone. Then I want breaks for the small world children.

Wasn't sure which thread to post this in since it's all the Pirates rides but I figured this one since out of all the parks this seems to be the one with the most purists: http://www.ocregister.com/2017/06/29/auction-scene-in-disneylands-pirates-of-the-caribbean-to-no-longer-auction-brides/

Good for them. No more pirate pimping. Next up, we got to get rid of all the gluten in the park. It is silently poisoning everyone. Then I want breaks for the small world children.

Let's not forget the ghosts in the Haunted Mansion being insensitive to the dead. How did they have so much audacity back in 1969?

While I'm mad that political correctness is behind this, but just look at this as a new scene on Pirates! None of us has seen it yet and it most likely will be better than auctioning women. Plenty of awful things people did back then and they don't have to be included in Disneyland, plus Disneyland is always changing and never finished, that's what Walt wanted.

While I'm mad that political correctness is behind this, but just look at this as a new scene on Pirates! None of us has seen it yet and it most likely will be better than auctioning women. Plenty of awful things people did back then and they don't have to be included in Disneyland, plus Disneyland is always changing and never finished, that's what Walt wanted.

True, but did they have to change one of, if not the most iconic scenes on the ride?

True, but did they have to change one of, if not the most iconic scenes on the ride?

Pirates is such an iconic ride, everything about is iconic IMO. Also, as you said, when one of the most iconic scenes of the most popular ride of Disneyland is about auctoning women, I don't think it's appropriate in the 2017 society.

Pirates is such an iconic ride, everything about is iconic IMO. Also, as you said, when one of the most iconic scenes of the most popular ride of Disneyland is about auctoning women, I don't think it's appropriate in the 2017 society.

Well, auctioning women wasn't exactly appropriate in 1967, either. It was there because they wanted to show that pirates, among other things, took advantage of women without showing anything explicitly sexual. It wasn't condoning it. It was showing what disgusting scum pirates were.

Yeah, I think that auctioning off women as wives is pretty bad and they need to get rid of it. I also think that raiding coastal towns and pillaging and stealing all their stuff is pretty bad too so we should just get rid of that too... because then everyone can be happy! Instead of riding through a burning town, we can go through a happy town where everyone is singing together, because that's what pirates always did when they invaded towns.

First, it is Disney and it is their ride; not your college or high school history lesson. You didn't go to Disney or on the ride to learn. You're there to be entertained. Also, what they are changing the scene to is ALSO historically accurate. Finally, the new scene looks just as good (and will probably be better) then the old. Sooo, this argument doesn't really hold up.

I'm probably in the minority here but I could really care less about this. Probably won't change the experience one bit.

100% agreed.

I just think in 2017, where Wonder Woman has grossed nearly $350 million in the U.S. & crossed $700 million worldwide, Disney saw an opportunity to change the narrative on a popular character to make her more of a "hero" instead of the kidnapped prize in an auction...

People are over reacting. Doesn't really change the story. Can't call the ride "classic" anymore since they added all the movie references. Audiences perceptions change over time and Disneyland is not a museum.

First, it is Disney and it is their ride; not your college or high school history lesson. You didn't go to Disney or on the ride to learn. You're there to be entertained. Also, what they are changing the scene to is ALSO historically accurate. Finally, the new scene looks just as good (and will probably be better) then the old. Sooo, this argument doesn't really hold up.

Yeah, the "but it's historically accurate" argument doesn't hold much weight in a ride where a mystical projection of an Octopus man speaks to you.

OK, now that I've handed out a few forum bans and cleaned up this thread a little bit let me just make one thing perfectly clear...

If you feel the need to come on our forum and be a horrible obnoxious person to our other members, especially respected members who have been on this forum for a very long time, you will find yourself no longer welcome to post here.

This is theme parks we are talking about. If you are taking things so seriously that you cannot control yourself and can't be a decent human, we don't want you on our forums.

Have I made myself clear?

Thanks for your understanding.

I'd rather they just updated it to the Shanghai version, though that's probably not possible due to the constraints of the show building. Be curious to hear what Robb thinks about the scene change since he dislikes the original version anyway.

Be curious to hear what Robb thinks about the scene change since he dislikes the original version anyway.

I'm honestly really indifferent to it. As you mentioned, I'm not the biggest Pirates fan as it is and really only ride it when I'm with someone who is in town and hasn't been on it in a while. I'd say it's the "E Ticket Attraction" I ride the least here at WDW (and I prefer the WDW version because it's shorter.)

Personally, my vote would be to rip out all the old versions and put in the Shanghai version. Sure, there would be people freaking out about it at first, but then after the ride the new version their complains would quickly go away.

It's puzzling to me why anyone would be all "Don't touch Pirates!!!" when it's already been altered so many times and the world hasn't begun rotating backwards. Seems like the same people who wanted to "save Colossus" and "save Maelstrom" are now trying to "save" Pirates from this or any other change.

I suspect once it's done and the new scene put in place, it'll look just fine and end up being another time to wonder what the fanboys were all freaking out about.

I would like to see them update Pirates. Altering one set piece is a good start. I don't think that changing the nature of the auction will be that impactful, unless they alter it to have more dynamic movement. It is pretty stationery right now. If just from a theme standpoint, there are several spots along the course of the ride that could use some re-Imagineering.

Speaking of updates, finally saw GOTG:MB. I don't think I have ever seen a bigger disconnect between an exterior and an interior of an attraction. While I still find the exterior on the garish cheap side, I was amazed at how well the interior turned out. Very, very impressive design work and some of the clearest video screens I have ever seen in a theme park. Oddly enough, the FP machines are still suitcases, maybe in the future that will be changed. As we exited into the gift shop, some interesting merchandise, especially the Spider-man bot, the GOTG offerings are pretty bland. Lot of empty registers.

The ride experience itself, to me, is superior to TOT. We heard two songs, on different rides, and saw two video segments. The segments are brief, but wow, so clear. As far as I can tell, we did have different drop profiles both of which are superior to what TOT offered. The Rocket Raccoon AA looks fantastic. Easily the only highlight of the summer of heroes.

I am curious if they are finally going to reveal The New Name of the Hollywood Studios in WDW?

EDIT: Further thought, they probably won't do it, until after everything is open in the park (i.e SWL and TSL).