TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

It's really three, as those back entrances to SWL are actually two spots, on either side of the back of Big Thunder.

One is from the Frontierland part of the back trail, the other is from the Fantasyland side, behind Casey Jr.

The other one does come from where Hungry Bear Restaurant is.

Edited by Nrthwnd

Wow that was quite an update from Mint Crocodile! So many things look fantastic, did you guys see the menus? Slow cooked beef poutine? Beasts burger topped with slow cooked beef and gruyere cheese? Cauliflower sandwich with a spicy lime aioli? Holy smokes some of those items looked AMAZING! Super impressed by that. Also the progress taking place on Star Wars land is breathtaking.

One thing I did notice that really bugged me and stood out, and I'm not sure if this is permanent, or just because the area is under construction, BUT, look to the left of the photo where the River ends where they put up that tarp. Right above it you can see the freakin' parking structure! Now, don't get me wrong, I know you're not *literally* "leaving" reality to go to Disneyland, but come on, you're in basically the MIDDLE of the park where you should be immersed. Like, that is so blatantly obvious and absolutely distracts you from getting lost in the park, so I'm kinda disappointed to see that. I also DO remember when riding the train/Mark Twain a couple years ago, that area back there was sadly sparse of trees or foliage, and you could see through them, pretty much to the street and hear the cars drive by so it kinda kills the vibe. I hope they address these details when all is said and done, this is stuff Disney doesn't tend to overlook so I'm a little shocked by it!

Also, on the BTMRR ride, on the 2nd to last hill (the one with the goat), I understand you're going to see the SWL construction site, but you can also see the road and the streetlights not too far off in the distance! Again, kinda lame! Do something to keep the park and those kinds of things separate. Wait, I've got a great idea, they SHOULD BUILD A HUGE WALL!

i-gPTVJbh-O.png

Source: https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-gPTVJbh/0/O/i-gPTVJbh-O.png

Disney knows there are sightline issues. That's why they put boxed trees behind the dam as a temporary fix. Once the area is planted we'll have a better idea what it will look like. Plus it has to grow in and fill out. The land doesn't open for at least 18 months (Disney said 2019, no actual date) so there's time to plant and grow. Plus, they haven't started building in that area yet. I am not worried it will be fine. We're all fine here. Lol

Disney knows there are sightline issues. That's why they put boxed trees behind the dam as a temporary fix. Once the area is planted we'll have a better idea what it will look like. Plus it has to grow in and fill out. The land doesn't open for at least 18 months (Disney said 2019, no actual date) so there's time to plant and grow. Plus, they haven't started building in that area yet. I am not worried it will be fine. We're all fine here. Lol

I agree. It's pointless to complain about "sight lines" in an active construction zone.

Edited by cfc

I agree. It's pointless to complain about "sight lines" in an active construction zone.

151203han.jpg?w=636

I'd take it one step further and argue that sight lines are not a huge deal no matter where you are. Sure, if you can hide something you should---but at some point the practicality and cost of hiding everything plays a role. No project director is going to say "sorry guys, had to cut this awesome animatronic to pay to hide the parking garage you can see way in the distance."

Yeah, I'm in the parks right now. I noticed the parking structure thing. I noticed that even though the front of guardians is covered up, you can easily see what they're doing on the sides. There's a crazy yellow antenna thing on top too.

Love the update, great photos! I am not of fan of the exterior of GOTG, man it is not attractive in person. I am hopeful that there are random video segments like Star Tours. Oddly enough, there are rumors of DCA being the Halloween Time park this year, which is amazingly bad timing given that TOT is no more. I suppose with all the dead space in the unused Hollywood section they have more available space.

Another bad planning move this year was AP days. Cramming it into 1/2 of the former Starcade building was just dumb making the land even more crowded, consider the top half of Innoventions building is unused (unless they are building something there for this summer?). There really is not a reason the AP day events space can't be spread over both parks in the vacant areas. Instead of a celebration of the AP customer, seemed more like a tolerance test of what the local AP will endure.

On a positive note, the Red Rose tavern is a great addition. I hope it becomes permanent, as the menu is a vast improvement over the hot garbage they used to serve. Would be nice to see Beauty and The Beast represented somewhere in the park as a permanent addition.

Looking forward to Food and Wine this year as well. Great weather for the start of it this weekend.

I am not of fan of the exterior of GOTG, man it is not attractive in person.

Yeah, I hate all that scaffolding, just makes it look like it's still under construction.

hahahahahaha

True, but you can see the sides of the structure and kinda get an idea of where the design is going. It doesn't look anything like the concept art yet, but there's still a lot of time

I am not of fan of the exterior of GOTG, man it is not attractive in person.

Yeah, I hate all that scaffolding, just makes it look like it's still under construction.

hahahahahaha

It doesn't look anything like the concept art yet, but there's still a lot of time

Now we're making sense.

It opens May 27. That is not a lot of time, less than 80 days away. I miss the ride, looking forward to see how they changed the experience. I wonder for example, if each member gets their own video segment?

It opens May 27. That is not a lot of time, less than 80 days away. I miss the ride, looking forward to see how they changed the experience. I wonder for example, if each member gets their own video segment?

I've seen "Summer" as the vague opening date some places too.

I've seen "Summer" as the vague opening date some places too.

May 27 is the opening date confirmed by Disney.

Hello everyone. Going to be headed to the parks next week for spring break, spending Wed, Thurs, and Friday there. I have a question on ride closures though. Specifically Grizzly River Run. I've seen a couple different dates for it to reopen. One said the 22 and one said the 24. Is there anyone on here with any "connections" or whatever that can give me something more accurate? Thanks! My family loves that ride

It opens May 27. That is not a lot of time, less than 80 days away.

That's plenty of time for Disney. Time won't hurt the success of the new make-over, it boils down to the vision the creators had for the ride and how they were able to translate/execute it.

Hello everyone. Going to be headed to the parks next week for spring break, spending Wed, Thurs, and Friday there. I have a question on ride closures though. Specifically Grizzly River Run. I've seen a couple different dates for it to reopen. One said the 22 and one said the 24. Is there anyone on here with any "connections" or whatever that can give me something more accurate? Thanks! My family loves that ride

According to the official park website, it has been removed as under refurbishment 3/23/17