TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

That would be very cool to see them enhance the view and ambience. Would be great for both the restaurant and the ride. Once we sat near the front of the entrance, so our view ( as pictured above) was not that unfortunately. It is nice when you can score one of those tables to take in the view of the cabin without looking over other guests.

^ It would be something, with all their tech knowledge with lighting and such, for Disney to put a curved scrim around,

from the loading dock to past the old settler's cabin, above the waterway, and do an indoor light show for the diners.

Like a series of fireworks, or thunder and lightning over the bayou, or a moon overhead with fireflies dancing in a kind

of dance in "the dark sky."

That would be cool dining to me.

Yas! Curved scrim/mesh! I've been saying it for years! Also in the town scenes where the ceiling is too exposed. I love the cloud projections but I find myself not wanting to look up at them because the visible structure of the room itself kinda ruins the effect.

^ That's the same way for all the versions of It's A Small World too, I find. There's so much going on above you,

in your boat, you can't help but look beyond, and up to the show building's ceiling, etc. But everybody accepts that,

and enjoys the attraction all the same. Pirates was always like that too, except the new version in Shanghai appears

to "frame" scenes more often, and with the boats being able to be turned, etc, that helps in preventing sight lines

accidently seeing ceiling.

And the original Pirates was opened in 1967, so at that time, I'm sure they were dealing with the inside ceiling

as best they could, with the materials they had at that time.

My 5 cents.

^ That's the same way for all the versions of It's A Small World too, for myself. There's so much going on above you,

in your boat, you can't help but look beyond, and up to the show building's ceiling, etc. But everybody accepts that,

and enjoys the attraction all the same. Pirates was always like that too, except the new version in Shanghai appears

to "frame" scenes more often, and with the boats being able to be turned, etc, that helps in preventing sight lines

accidently seeing ceiling.

And the original Pirates was opened in 1967, so at that time, I'm sure they were dealing with the inside ceiling

as best they could, with the materials they had at that time.

My 5 cents.

My feeling is that IASW is so bright and the tone is so playful that it doesn't matter that you can tell that you're in a room because the point of the attraction was never about trying to sell a sense of authenticity the way Pirates does. It's perhaps nitpicking, but don't get me wrong because I love Pirates more than anything else at Disney, and it kind of speaks to the genius of the creators when after hundreds of rides the only thing that slightly breaks the illusion for me is the somewhat exposed ceiling.

^ Agreed. And I realized that about IAsW after I posted what I had. Not trying to be as realistic as Pirates, true.

Well, maybe when all the new attractions have been done, and Star Wars Land finally opens, and there's a new

Marvel Land in DCA (I hope).... then they'll get around to figuring out how to "eliminate" the building

(visually) altogether! For all the Pirates around the world. Except Shanghai, heh.

And I love the Paris version of Pirates, myself. It's (from what I remember reading, at the time it opened)

apparently more the way/story the original Pirates was supposed to be. But they had to reverse it, because of

having to go under the train that circles Disneyland. But the "live" pirates first, with the ships

and the town scenes - then the skeletons, dark caves, lost treasure, etc.

Edited by Nrthwnd

^ Agreed. And I realized that about IAsW after I posted what I had. Not trying to be as realistic as Pirates, true.

Well, maybe when all the new attractions have been done, and Star Wars Land finally opens, and there's a new

Marvel Land in DCA (I hope).... then they'll get around to figuring out how to "eliminate" the building

(visually) altogether! For all the Pirates around the world. Except Shanghai, heh.

Yeah. In exactly one month Pirates turns 50 btw! I guess it's too late for a Shanghai makeover to celebrate the occasion.

^ I wonder if anybody has heard or read of anything for that Anniversary? 50 years. Wow.

6308-AnaheimDisneyLand-NW_to_SE_View.jpg.d84a94bd256ee95b700b31b931fb1298.jpg

I love this shot. It was taken in August of 1963. Several months after me and my mom were there at Easter time!

And - up above the Rivers of America there, is the start of PoTC! The first show building, which held the restaurant,

the load/unload area, and the first part of what was to become New Orleans Square. Thank you whoever took this!

(Oh, and you can see the Haunted Mansion there, built and ready to open. But not for another 6 years!)

^ I wonder if anybody has heard or read of anything for that Anniversary? 50 years. Wow.

I know. Come to think of it I haven't heard anything either. It is supposed to open again on the 16th of next month and I can't imagine that they won't acknowledge the anniversary at all.

Going to the park for a 3-day weekend the first weekend in March. We didn't think it'd be too crowded, but we've heard that Pirates and Matterhorn will be closed, which may make other lines longer. Two questions: One, how crowded do you think the park will be?

And two, we have reservations at the Blue Bayou, but Pirates will be closed for refurbishments. Is it still worth going, and can you still see into the ride with it closed for refurbishments?

The first weekend in March isn't typically too bad for crowds. You are correct about Pirates being closed for refurb along with Matterhorn. From the restaurant, you can see the preload queue, the boat launch, and the swamp area. After that, the rest of the ride drops below your view. I'd say it's still worth going, and you still have a lot of rides to choose from. Are you visiting DCA as well?

Yes, I will be visiting DCA as well. I'll probably be spending most of my time at Disneyland, however, especially with no Tower of Terror. I'm looking forward to seeing the Star Wars Land construction!

The park (along with California) has been subjected to lots of rain, and in some instances, has closed early. Just set your expectations if this happens, but so far the forecast looks clear of rain around the time of your trip.

Going to the park for a 3-day weekend the first weekend in March. We didn't think it'd be too crowded, but we've heard that Pirates and Matterhorn will be closed, which may make other lines longer. Two questions: One, how crowded do you think the park will be?

And two, we have reservations at the Blue Bayou, but Pirates will be closed for refurbishments. Is it still worth going, and can you still see into the ride with it closed for refurbishments?

The first weekend in March isn't typically too bad for crowds. You are correct about Pirates being closed for refurb along with Matterhorn. From the restaurant, you can see the preload queue, the boat launch, and the swamp area. After that, the rest of the ride drops below your view. I'd say it's still worth going, and you still have a lot of rides to choose from. Are you visiting DCA as well?

Yes, I will be visiting DCA as well. I'll probably be spending most of my time at Disneyland, however, especially with no Tower of Terror. I'm looking forward to seeing the Star Wars Land construction!

The park (along with California) has been subjected to lots of rain, and in some instances, has closed early. Just set your expectations if this happens, but so far the forecast looks clear of rain around the time of your trip.

Yes, it sure has been rainy lately, and I heard about the early closings. I'd honestly be fine with rain as long as the park is still open, as that tends to lessen crowds.

Yes, it sure has been rainy lately, and I heard about the early closings. I'd honestly be fine with rain as long as the park is still open, as that tends to lessen crowds.

This. I enjoy rainy days at Disneyland, the lines are short and you're already primed for Splash Mountain. Pack a pancho!

Man I was at Magic Kingdom (I know completely different resort/coast) last Saturday and it rained for a good couple of hours in the middle of the day as we were arriving and I thought "yeah the rain might keep the crowds down a bit".......nope, that place was slammed. 45 minutes min. for practically everything between 3 and 8 while we were there. Even the people mover line was stretched back to the space mountain entrance.

Man I was at Magic Kingdom (I know completely different resort/coast) last Saturday and it rained for a good couple of hours in the middle of the day as we were arriving and I thought "yeah the rain might keep the crowds down a bit".......nope, that place was slammed. 45 minutes min. for practically everything between 3 and 8 while we were there. Even the people mover line was stretched back to the space mountain entrance.

People in Orlando = used to tropical storms/hurricanes, humidity, etc

People in Orange County = freak out and forget how to drive when it sprinkles outside

^^ This man speaks the truth. It's unbelievable. I was at Universal Studios Hollywood when it began to sprinkle for about 10 minutes. Everyone had umbrellas out, jackets over their heads, were dashing for awnings. And it was nothing. If you've ever experienced a misting fan, you have been wetter than I was at that time. I swear, the Wicked Witch of the West was created after Baum visited Los Angeles.

^ When my mom and I first visited DL and Knott's in Easter of 1963, we had a very VERY light mist of

rainfall one day. Much lighter than what it did recently. And back then, there was word at our Travelodge

front desk, that DL might actually CLOSE FOR THE DAY, because of the "weather". We were shocked.

It was nothing. And just to make the locals even crazier, we went swimming in the motel's pool that

same day, and they couldn't believe us doing this, "in the pouring rain."

That was fun.

Yes, the park is aware of the 50th anniversary as that is the reason that the ride will re-open on the 16th of March. The rides 50th anniversary is March 19th. So far to cast members they've talked to us about the ride it's 50th anniversary. They haven't told us anything about what there doing with it And they haven't said anything about any particular event for the 19th. If anything will be done we should probably find out in a week or two.

I stopped by the parks today to try and see Guardians in the daylight (I went last week at night) and as I turned the corner near the Hyperion Theater, I noticed it looked different than the photos I've been seeing.

Scaffolding has been added back over the exposed façade. Based on what I could see of the workers, it seems they are working on aging the exterior.

^ ^ No, no. The proper response is "this is the worst thing Disney has ever done and you can see it form Main Street and how terrible Joe Rhode should be ashamed of himself for letting this happen. Goodbye DCA, goodbye DCA forever!"

It's amazing seeing the responses on TPR compared to the responses on Twitter. I myself kinda like the bright colors.

^ Well, the Florida version is the original. But there was so much maintenance (and still?) on it,

I believe the decision was to down-size it, and literally reverse the 'footprint' of it, for the

other parks. So no separate exits, or "Twilight Zone" style movement, etc.

I hope they never touch the original, also. (I haven't been to/on it yet.)

twilight-zone-tower-of-terror-gallery05.jpg.6ed098dd3b2c53c8e538c8b2df86a0d4.jpg

Sidebar: This is WDW's ToT. Ride vehicle right up against the doors. Not with an "exit hallway" between.