TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

So, Disney is on a roll today with big announcements! First Avatar in Florida, and now we have a year narrowed down for Star Wars Land! From the parks blog:

StarWarsLand_Iger1280.thumb.jpg.7557563755db63f0c1c47a378431793f.jpg

Tue, February 7, 2017

Star Wars-Themed Lands at Disney Parks Set to Open in 2019

George Savvas

by George Savvas, Public Relations Director, Disneyland Resort

Our new Star Wars-themed lands at Disneyland park and Disney’s Hollywood Studios will be opening in 2019! Disney Chairman and CEO Bob Iger just made the announcement many of you have been so anxious to hear during today’s Walt Disney Company Q1 FY17 Earnings call.

SWTLNightLR.jpg.bdfc64a8d33557e4be3fbd186195d722.jpg

Star Wars-Themed Lands at Disney Parks Set to Open in 2019

As we’ve shared, the Star Wars-themed lands are the largest-ever, single-themed land expansions at Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts. At each location, guests will be transported to a never-before-seen planet – a remote trading port and one of the last stops before wild space – where Star Wars characters and their stories come to life. Check out some of our earlier images, including a glimpse at one of the signature attractions which lets you take the controls of the Millennium Falcon!

There will be more exciting updates to share in the future as work progresses on each of these galactic lands. Keep checking the Disney Parks Blog for the latest.

Disney Parks Blog

Woot! I am excited for this!!!!

I am surprised that the Florida version will open within the same calendar year. Anaheim is considerably ahead in construction. And, I would think the weather in Florida might slow stuff down. But, I appreciate their ambitious schedule!!

^ Perfect! I'm hoping to get back to Knott's and Disney in September 2019.

And hopefully with another West Coast Bash happening, too. But still. The timing will

be pretty good, after Star Wars Land has had it's "shake down" for it's first summer.

Awesome!

^ You're young. You'll be fine. Patience.

I'm trying to juggle all the new stuff coming up in Disney Japan, Hong Kong,

and maybe (eventually) Shanghai. The years 2020-2023 appear to be

good for traveling all over there.

^ You're young. You'll be fine. Patience.

I know. But I am closely following the construction progress every day from my apartment in Copenhagen and as soon as there's even a hint of a soft opening I'm booking a flight to L.A!

So, is it Avatar in 2017, Toy Story Land in 2018, and then Star Wars in 2019 for Florida? That is an incredible run of new lands for guests to explore. For California, not quite as grand, refurbishments/remodeling in 2017, 2018 kind of blank so far, 2019 Star Wars land, and 2020 is rumored Marvel land. Although I think "Marvel land" attractions will remain highly staggered. GOTG remodel 2017, Marvel Coaster 2020 as rumors suggest. The muppet/monsters dead zone in Hollywood will be around for awhile. I read a summary of their quarterly results , and the parks/resorts are a nice bright spot for the company, only ESPN weighing them down still.

So, is it Avatar in 2017, Toy Story Land in 2018, and then Star Wars in 2019 for Florida? That is an incredible run of new lands for guests to explore. For California, not quite as grand, refurbishments/remodeling in 2017, 2018 kind of blank so far, 2019 Star Wars land, and 2020 is rumored Marvel land. Although I think "Marvel land" attractions will remain highly staggered. GOTG remodel 2017, Marvel Coaster 2020 as rumors suggest. The muppet/monsters dead zone in Hollywood will be around for awhile. I read a summary of their quarterly results , and the parks/resorts are a nice bright spot for the company, only ESPN weighing them down still.

Isn't 2018 when the new east parking garage and pedestrian bridge supposed to open? I mean, that's something, right?

Anyone have thoughts on the rumor that as of Sunday monthly payments for passes will no longer available (along with a possible small price reduction in at least the higher passes)? I think it's the only way to help with crowds, although a lot of people are going to be pissed off.

I tried asking at miceage but didn't really get an answer, so does anyone here know what the plans are for this very flat looking rock wall along the new track? Considering how much detail they're putting in the rest of the area it seems strange to have a flat wall with something that looks like rock paneling from like a diner.

It's under construction with probably 2 1/2 years to go, at minimum. Anyone sniping about how lousy the theming is isn't worth reading.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the area in question is expected to be finished in 4-5 months along with the new ROA/Railway makeover, true or false?

Anyone have thoughts on the rumor that as of Sunday monthly payments for passes will no longer available (along with a possible small price reduction in at least the higher passes)? I think it's the only way to help with crowds, although a lot of people are going to be pissed off.

The only people who would be pissed are the ones who believe that monthly payments are the only way they can afford to have an AP, and then project their entitled attitude as frustration at Disney for taking it away. The kind that have an AP just to pop in for a few hours whenever they feel like it and spend relatively little.

I'm sure the families who drop thousands on once a year or once in a lifetime trips, who've never had the ability to pay monthly for their trip outside of credit financing, will enjoy having less of these people cramming the park.

It's under construction with probably 2 1/2 years to go, at minimum. Anyone sniping about how lousy the theming is isn't worth reading.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the area in question is expected to be finished in 4-5 months along with the new ROA/Railway makeover, true or false?

Don't be sorry. You were asking about it. Not 'sniping' as it was suggested. There is a difference, between the two.

Don't be sorry. You were asking about it. Not 'sniping' as it was suggested. There is a difference, between the two.

Thank you.

Although likening the wall to that of a diner might have been a bit much on my part.

^ But since you did bring it up, I was under the impression that ALL of any backdrop/rock work to the Disneyland Railroad,

was supposed to be finished by the summer, so that the trains could re-open, etc. New trees and landscaping too, I assumed.

What I remember reading.

That is where the train will go past, before it goes into the new tunnel there. And you can expect it to be done when the train opens. you were correct in your thinking.

^ But since you did bring it up, I was under the impression that ALL of any backdrop/rock work to the Disneyland Railroad,

was supposed to be finished by the summer, so that the trains could re-open, etc. New trees and landscaping too, I assumed.

What I remember reading.

Yeah, that has been my impression as well! That's also why I was asking, because if that is the case then it would not be unreasonable to assume that what we're seeing of the facade in question is what the entire wall will look like once it's finished.

^ It could be a large section of (already grown) trees put in front, too.

Most of the art concepts keep showing forest as part of the "divider berm"

between "Rest of Park Land", and SWL.

My thought on it.

Actually, this is very cool, as they're treating it like the tunnel/archway entrance into

Tokyo Disney Sea. You know it's all there, and you can see some of it from outside the park.

But then you pass through that archway (tunnels at DL) and WHAM!

It hits you how amazing it immediately all is. And REAL.

H_06TokyoDisneySeaEntryHarbor.jpg.dba4f517d84f411d0b27bd8433b3dd56.jpg

Now picture Star Wars Land, beyond this tunnel. TDS Entry Archway ~ TPR 2007 Japan Tour.