TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Yes. It's near there and there's another over by the Disneyland Hotel. For guests in the parking structure, there is a checkpoint before getting on the trams.

That checkpoint will only be for those intending to board the trams. There is a re-routed walking path for anyone who chooses to hoof it over to Downtown Disney and enter through the new security checkpoint set up in the old taxi/valet stop in front of ESPN Zone.

With the way the tents are configured, it looks like there might be a middle gap for a 'Guests Without Bags' entrance. One can only hope!

Ugh. With the park at capacity, with the new security checkpoints, with how crowded it will probably be, with 4 hour Tower of Terror lines, I will probably forgo my plans to make a trip to DCA when I visit Cali next week. Which means I will miss going on Tower of Terror for the very last time, which breaks my heart that park popularity, security, lines, and just being CROWDED AS F*** will discourage me from even trying.

Such a shame that just a few years ago I was able to get a platinum pass and enjoy semi-low-crowded days at the parks to get on what I wanted, when now it's just a complete clusterf*** of crowds and lines, and more crowds and more lines.

And now that Star Wars Land is coming and Tower of Terror is gone, I just can't imagine seeing myself visiting the park in the future ever. Unless I'm going with some super hot chick that really really wants to go. But she's going to have to be SUPER hot, and she's going to have to REALLY want to go. Other than that, I'm getting too old for the lines and crowds and waiting. Perhaps VIP passes/tours is the only way to go from here on out.

Apparently the new security tents are going into use tomorrow. Now downtown Disney will be part of the secured area.

Wow so you have to go through security just to get into Downtown Disney? That seems like it'd be...inconvenient.

Sounds better than getting stuck in the narrows of the esplanade security lines. I won't miss playing the game, "who's touching my butt?!"

...or will I?

I'm sure you will.

You could always get a fast pass for Tower of Terror, and ya know, not be so dramatic about it. Ride it.

In other news: http://www.ocregister.com/articles/shop-738876-castle-family.html

The shop where visitors could look up their family crest or purchase a coat of arms at Disneyland is closing.

Disneyland officials confirmed that the Castle Heraldry Shoppe will close Jan. 12.

I'm bumping this, just cause I'm curious how the weekend went, if anybody went to the Resort?

If not, hope there wasn't too much drama in either parks, the Village, or the security check points.

IMG_2149.JPG.0115886a44339b5daabcd3ca7828be01.JPG

A happy memory of my DCA visit, back in Sept.

Am I the only one that finds it a bit odd that they're closing ToT on the Tuesday after New Year's? Like they aren't even waiting until the weekend to shut it down...

Edit: Okay see it now that it's Monday which makes a bit more sense. I just saw the closing date on Wikipedia and assumed it was the last date of operation.

Edited by cookiex

Am I the only one that finds it a bit odd that they're closing ToT on the Tuesday after New Year's? Like they aren't even waiting until the weekend to shut it down...

Nope. They picked a date to release the new ride, and probably figured out they'd need blank amount of time to complete the work and testing to do so.

Edit: Okay see it now that it's Monday which makes a bit more sense. I just saw the closing date on Wikipedia and assumed it was the last date of operation.

Monday is the federal holiday for New Years. After that, most people are back to work and school...no point in waiting any longer.

Monday is the federal holiday for New Years. After that, most people are back to work and school...no point in waiting any longer.

I think they should've had it go until the 8th... a lot of schools (including mine) are out until then. Plus they're closing it right before the APs can ride again.

I think they should've had it go until the 8th... a lot of schools (including mine) are out until then. Plus they're closing it right before the APs can ride again.

The AP's have had months to get their last rides in, and the much higher than at any other point in its life wait times are evidence of that. What's one more week going to do other than just unnecessarily add to the expense of operating the ride? As Joey rightly points out, the vast majority of people are back to work/school on January 3. There's no point in waiting any longer. Any AP who didn't get their last ride in during the months that they had has no one but themselves to blame.

There is a new update from Mint. And holy crap there has been a TON of work done!

Also, the park has been very busy with the holidays, so they temporarily opened the big thunder trail to guests. Below is a video of the walkway and the surrounding construction of Star Wars Land.

The video wouldn't embed for some reason.

....And what I remember reading, the train is supposed to be available to ride,

(and the Rivers of America too?) by this coming summer. So that will be a bit of

a crowds relief, especially with this in operation again.

EDIT to add: I must add, there is also a trestle bridge being installed there.

(Example photo below) And yet it isn't in the art concept. Sooooo, might it

be where that last large waterfall area is, just before the Native Indian Village?

roa-rendering-900.jpg.adf611104685d2862802d348ac99cab9.jpg

A reminder of what's coming this summer (I hope). (o:

trestletrack.jpg.6014ba14933d858e595eb435404eec69.jpg

A very metallic "curved" one is already installed in back. (Example photo, only)

EDIT to add: I must add, there is also a trestle bridge being installed there.

(Example photo below) And yet it isn't in the art concept. Sooooo, might it

be where that last large waterfall area is, just before the Native Indian Village?

You can see it on the far right of the artwork, after the tunnel.

LaughingPlace.com did a photo tour on the 30th, of the temporary back trail opened for guests to

get from Frontierland to Fantasyland. And there was this one photo that clearly shows the new trestle

bridge in place with the following caption...

View from bridge includes trestle that will carry railroad over west-most entrance to Star Wars Land

FrontierlandTrailDec2016c.jpg.d08004e258cd2ee2ba5250e4129ce4e3.jpg

So this shows where the trestle bridge actually goes. Photo (and article) by Doug Marsh, thanks.

Quick question: A friend of mine bought a SoCal AP online a couple weeks ago, but hasnt activated it at the park yet. He wants to activate it and visit the park tomorrow, which is blocked for SoCal APs. Will he be able to get a block out exception pass since he bought it online? Because I usually know if you purchase the pass at the park you can get in the first day without being blocked out.

^ How many days are you spending there, and just Disney only?

Also, Knott's is nearby. That said...maybe Knott's too?

First choice ride immediately as they crowd up fast - a lot of the Fantasyland Dark Rides

(Peter Pan, Toad & Alice); the Matterhorn (both sides); Canal Boats, a classic and it lets you wind down for a bit.

Hope that helps. (And there are a few Single Rider lines, around both parks.)

IMG_2113.JPG.5e06e57f78c3b238a43c0044413416b1.JPG

A must on both sides. But ride Right Side first. Then ride Left Side.

IMhO LEFT side is better! (Taken on Sept.13, 2016.)

^ Seconded Knott's. Calico Mine Ride is as good as anything at Disneyland, and Timber Mountain Log Ride is even better than Splash Mountain.

Beyond that, we're going to need more information. Disneyland is a different sort of place, and your priorities are going to depend mostly on what your favourite Disney characters are. I had to ride both the Toy Story rides, Monsters Inc., and Finding Nemo, because those are IPs I care about. But if you have in your group a Little Mermaid or Winnie the Pooh fan, you'd want to ride those, both of which I skipped.

Regardless of who you are, you absolutely should ride these:

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad

Guardians of the Galaxy (if open; they've only said "summer 2017")

Haunted Mansion

Indiana Jones

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Mickey's Fun Wheel

Pirates of the Caribbean

Radiator Springs Racers

Space Mountain

Splash Mountain

That's the list I would consider essential. Beyond that is up to you and your interests.

Edited by ytterbiumanalyst

^ I will also add, and repeat, if you (sfriday1998) are really into the Fantasyland

classic dark ride collection,do those three (& MH) I suggested in my last post, in that order...

then, come back to doing Snow White and Pinocchio. They should still be easier to queue for.

This is all based of course, on an early hour rope drop - or the gp rope drop time.

This is what you go for first, either way! Have a great visit there!

Sorry for butting into this conversation, but I'm probably headed to DL and DCA next Thursday and I have a question about World of Color really quick. With "Season of Light" ending on the 8th, and insider rumors strongly suggesting that the old WoC show will not be returning, does anyone know if WoC will be running after the 8th with a new show or not? Has anyone seen any midnight testings of a new show? My Google searches are coming up dry...