TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

They brought Hyperspace Mountain back after Ghost Galaxy. Sorry to hear about single rider lines, they've saved my family and I hours of wait time over the years. And as far as Tower of Terror, the line early in the morning has been around 40-60 minutes, the evening has neared 70-80 minutes, and FastPasses typically are gone by noon.

They brought Hyperspace Mountain back after Ghost Galaxy. Sorry to hear about single rider lines, they've saved my family and I hours of wait time over the years. And as far as Tower of Terror, the line early in the morning has been around 40-60 minutes, the evening has neared 70-80 minutes, and FastPasses typically are gone by noon.

They've only been running two shafts on Tower of Terror for the past couple months, which is why wait times have been so high and Fastpasses have sold out so quickly. Over the past weekend, they started running 3 shafts again and the Fastpasses have started lasting longer, well into the afternoon (to almost 4pm today) and the standby line ranged from 13-30 minutes during the day. We went on Late Checkout (begins at 6pm daily, no FP offered) and the outdoor queue was 90% filled and we were in our elevator in 22 minutes. It's not bad at all now that all three shafts are back running.

They've only been running two shafts on Tower of Terror for the past couple months, which is why wait times have been so high and Fastpasses have sold out so quickly. Over the past weekend, they started running 3 shafts again and the Fastpasses have started lasting longer, well into the afternoon (to almost 4pm today) and the standby line ranged from 13-30 minutes during the day. We went on Late Checkout (begins at 6pm daily, no FP offered) and the outdoor queue was 90% filled and we were in our elevator in 22 minutes. It's not bad at all now that all three shafts are back running.

I didn't realize they've started running three shafts again. I've been sick over the past week and haven't made it over to the parks, but I've noticed shorter waits on the app. Good, only having two shafts ran the risk of one breaking down and slowing the queue down even more.

Some random bits of trip advice.

1.) The Disneyland app is great for checking out wait times for attractions. It will save you a lot of time.

2.) One great way to see the World of Color: SOL at DCA, is to do the dining packages. That way, you don't have to bother trying to get a FP for the show. The Carthay Circle is a very good place to eat.

3.) Likewise, they offer a Paint The Night dining package for Disneyland. It is a great way to see the parade, but odds are once you are on that side of DL at night, it would be difficult to get to Main Street to see the fireworks in time if the two events are back to back. I would ask them where the reserve area is for PTN with the dining package, if not on main street, forget it.

4.) I would say to catch the smaller theatrical/music shows while waiting for your FP return time. For example, catching the Magical Map show while waiting out the Rodger Rabbit FP. Or catching the show at Golden H., while waiting for Big Thunder.

5.) Hyperspace MT. is hyper popular, always best to try to hit that first thing in the am.

6.) On the FP itself, there is a return time listed. But there is also another time listed, the time when you can get another FP for a different attraction. So it's possible to carry two FP at a time.

7.) The monorail is a great way to get into the park. We take it out of the park to hit Rainforest Café or Earl.

8.) The caste has a nicely done walk through attraction about Sleeping Beauty. And if you want a random place to sit, check out the handicap accessible experience.

9.) A cheap and good fried dough snack are the beignets at the Mint Julep Bar. They should be offering a holiday flavor during your visit.

^ I was going to add another option to your #2 suggestion.

I did the World of Color Dessert Party back in Sept. which on first look, is more expensive than the Carthay Circle

Dinner Package. But - and this was the deal breaker for me - the Dinner Package offers you a select area to stand and watch WoC.

The Dessert Package, though, offers you a stool/chair to sit at a table, get a sweet and savory dessert plate with breads

to accompany it, and two drinks (alcoholic or non-) which for the kids (or us young at heart) included a special WoC beverage glass

(made of plastic) that lights up from it's base! And you/they get to take it home with them, too.

The Dinner Package I believe runs around $50-60. The Dessert Package is $75.

But when you've spent an entire day walking through (possibly) two parks, the Dessert Party was totally worth it for me.

I loved it! And I would do it again, if I planned to again. But with friends along.

(I do realize that with some families, the lesser priced Dinner Packages would be more practical.)

IMG_2169.JPG.15516f058171c70707f3408855378967.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG.8a603ad0f7af441826c2fb53c7151172.JPG

What I got to eat and drink.

IMG_2175.JPG.21f4254289ddfa279991f1fdc384395c.JPG

Ooooooo Pride Wheel.

WorldOfColorCup2016.jpg.aa982ac5845136aa3a8e28676967887d.jpg

The World of Color Cup, lit up

IMG_2173.JPG.5eba173c4b1c3a78694f6a9cca486953.JPG

It was IMhO the definite Deal of the Evening. Sept.13, 2016. (And do I see Hidden ~tilted~ Mickey Ears?)

^ Yes. Although I was on my own, I looked around and everybody appeared to be getting a plate for themself.

But, it also looked like they putting only one bread serving on each table, and not per person.

Small detail, really.

Headed to the parks not this weekend, but next weekend. Will be spending Saturday, Sunday, and Monday between the two parks. Just how crazy busy can I expect it to be? Will one park be better than the other on certain days? How fast have Tower of Terror fast passes been "selling out" in? Any other tips to maximize this trip?

It's the Disneyland Resort ON THE WEEKEND IN DECEMBER.

I would expect both parks to be busy, however, Disneyland is always going to be worse due to not being designed for the crowds that it regularly sees these days.

The best plan is to accept it and make the most of the time you have there. Seeing as you're there for 3 days you should be able to get a lot done.

For a decent dinner at Disneyland I would suggest the Carnation Cafe out on the patio, or the Plaza Inn for an amazing fried chicken dinner that you and the lady can share. The fried chicken is better than Knott's in my opinion.

The Disneyland Future, as I see it...

I swear that eventually, Disneyland will become "too small" to take on massive daily crowds in it, apart from events and seasonal stuff.

Even with the Star Wars Land, etc. Eventually, the crowds will become intolerable. So much so, so that...

It will possibly become the first "Appointment Theme park" in history, where you have to book actual time in the entire park,

pay ahead for the day's experiences, etc. etc. This will include the usual dining and attractions FastPass experiences.

And there will be an actual, much lower, daily limit so 'walk ins' just won't be able to do that, any more.

Every body will have to reserve the day, etc.

Just an observation, especially with Disneyland in mind. Not to mention I was just at the Disneyland Resort in Sept.,

and found my time in California Adventure to be much more relaxed with the crowds, than I was at Disneyland. Truth.

IMG_2149.JPG.52143fe61e949cd28061d2e3f5f97e5f.JPG

Muuuuch more relaxing in DCA. Sept.13, 2016.

I don't think it is too far off from what is going to happen with the new Fastpass system. I think what is going to happen is that the new FP system, much like Florida's, will let guests pre-book their rides/meals all in advance, so essentially, it becomes an appointment based park. What might happen is that during the very busy days, the park will sell out just from FP users who book in advance, and there will be no walk up tickets available, except to DCA. Or say, Star Wars Land will be so popular that there will be no standby line at first, just pre-booked FP guests.

I am actually looking forward to having the ability (hopefully), to schedule my day with the attractions I know I want to see. Also, to be able to see if the attractions I like are completely booked for the day, to choose to go on another day instead of showing up and being irritated by the crowd levels.

I don't think it is too far off from what is going to happen with the new Fastpass system. I think what is going to happen is that the new FP system, much like Florida's, will let guests pre-book their rides/meals all in advance, so essentially, it becomes an appointment based park. What might happen is that during the very busy days, the park will sell out just from FP users who book in advance, and there will be no walk up tickets available, except to DCA. Or say, Star Wars Land will be so popular that there will be no standby line at first, just pre-booked FP guests.

I am actually looking forward to having the ability (hopefully), to schedule my day with the attractions I know I want to see. Also, to be able to see if the attractions I like are completely booked for the day, to choose to go on another day instead of showing up and being irritated by the crowd levels.

I hope it's not exactly the same. I find the one in Florida a pain to use.

The paper system is still better, in my opinion.

This is exactly what I hope won't happen. You can't assume that tourists or people like myself who travel to the US once every couple of years have the option to just pick another day to visit the park. I don't plan my trips super far in advance so I'd be pretty pissed if I traveled from Europe and paid 100+ $ only to discover that Pirates, Indy and HM were already "fully booked" since several months!

DL already allows restaurant reservations up to 60 days in advance. I imagine that the fastpass system would also begin 60 days before your scheduled visit. That's a good compromise time. For people who are travelling long distances, 60 days is pretty much last minute.

Again, there is a limit to how many fast passes you can claim per day in Florida---you literally can't book an entire days worth of rides in advance.

I also imagine they have some caps attached to those advance fastpasses to ensure fastpass is available day of and the rides have plenty of standby capacity.

If they're that worried about being too crowded then the best way to solve that problem is to keep raising prices to see what the market is willing to bear. That's the simplest solution and I fully expect that to be the direction in which they go.

Woah-ho-ho, pump the brakes there turbo!

Better watch what you say out loud with all the SJW's out in public these days! Are you saying POOR people don't deserve to go to Disneyland? Are you saying you DON'T CARE about the less fortunate? So essentially what you mean is Disneyland HATES poor people!

(By the way I completely agree with the original intent of your post.)

If they're that worried about being too crowded then the best way to solve that problem is to keep raising prices to see what the market is willing to bear. That's the simplest solution and I fully expect that to be the direction in which they go.

Except there are so many rich people in the SoCal area that Disneyland could easily charge double what it currently does and attendance wouldn't suffer at all. Think about what the local sports teams, theatres, and other entertainment venues are charging. Parking alone for the Rams' first home game was well into the triple digits. It's a minor miracle that Disneyland admission is as relatively cheap as it is.

Don't look for a huge spike in prices, especially considering the huge amount of negative press that the pre-Cars Land increases got. You can bet prices will go up, but I would expect a continuation of the marginal increase that they've done yearly for the last 10 years or so.

Except there are so many rich people in the SoCal area that Disneyland could easily charge double what it currently does and attendance wouldn't suffer at all.

If they knew this to be true, why wouldn't they immediately double prices? They would have to be insane not to. I get what you're saying but there must be some reason that they're at the current price point. There's no way they would knowingly undercharge that much.