TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I have no issue with losing the Twilight Zone theming in favor of the Guardians. DCA's tower has always been inferior to HS's, so why all this boo-hooing about losing a classic? If this were Paris's tower, it would probably be considered a saving grace for the park. My problem is with the fact the park was just recently renovated to have a somewhat cohesive theming, and now this happens. I'm mostly curious with how the Imagineers handle the red electric trolley cars. I have faith they will find a solution, but the current route would probably need to be redone.

I have no issue with losing the Twilight Zone theming in favor of the Guardians. DCA's tower has always been inferior to HS's, so why all this boo-hooing about losing a classic? If this were Paris's tower, it would probably be considered a saving grace for the park. My problem is with the fact the park was just recently renovated to have a somewhat cohesive theming, and now this happens. I'm mostly curious with how the Imagineers handle the red electric trolley cars. I have faith they will find a solution, but the current route would probably need to be redone.

Many people aren't able to easily go to both. The general public doesn't care that it's inferior to the HS version.

Many people aren't able to easily go to both. The general public doesn't care that it's inferior to the HS version.

What I was trying to say is that Disney realized it was a mistake to make an inferior version of an amazing ride, so they decided to create a unique experience in California. I have always wondered, from a business point-of-view, why parks made copies of attractions. It would make more sense to have different attractions in different parks to push people to go to more parks. For example, I am less inclined to visit the Magic Kingdom simply because it is so similar to Disneyland.

What I was trying to say is that Disney realized it was a mistake to make an inferior version of an amazing ride, so they decided to create a unique experience in California.

It's possible, but seems far more likely that they're simply using it as a quick and easy addition to tap into the comic book market.

What I was trying to say is that Disney realized it was a mistake to make an inferior version of an amazing ride, so they decided to create a unique experience in California.

It's possible, but seems far more likely that they're simply using it as a quick and easy addition to tap into the comic book market.

Well the DCA tower was always a quick and easy fix so I don't think anything's being lost here.

Well the DCA tower was always a quick and easy fix so I don't think anything's being lost here.

Fair enough.

The only people who care about the sign are uber nerds that freebase pixie dust. Hot take, I know.

Happy thoughts will let you fly very high.

(Actually, I was just happy to finally see it in person, and get my couple of rides on it, before they took the sign off it.)

DCA2016a.JPG.88f97ada6a7d7845ec6a15014efa5d0e.JPG

Who needs dust when you can fly high on Rust...eez? :p

I have always wondered, from a business point-of-view, why parks made copies of attractions. It would make more sense to have different attractions in different parks to push people to go to more parks. For example, I am less inclined to visit the Magic Kingdom simply because it is so similar to Disneyland.

Assuming you're asking a serious question: look at the license plates. At Disneyland you see California, Nevada, Utah, Oregon, etc plates. At WDW you see Florida, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Georgia, Carolina's, Alabama, Quibec, Ontario, etc. Two different markets, 99% of people are not going to visit both.

Plus, Is the Twilight Zone franchise that strong anymore? Also the ride was lightly themed to the franchise. Without the Pre-Show, I would have never guessed it was themed to the Twilight Zone. It could have been called Ghost Hotel and you wouldn't have to change much.

Not the biggest fan of the Guardian movie but always down with rethemes to improve.

I have always wondered, from a business point-of-view, why parks made copies of attractions. It would make more sense to have different attractions in different parks to push people to go to more parks. For example, I am less inclined to visit the Magic Kingdom simply because it is so similar to Disneyland.

Assuming you're asking a serious question: look at the license plates. At Disneyland you see California, Nevada, Utah, Oregon, etc plates. At WDW you see Florida, New York, New Jersey, Illinois, Georgia, Carolina's, Alabama, Quibec, Ontario, etc. Two different markets, 99% of people are not going to visit both.

Hello from flyover country! Generally no one takes a road trip to Florida or California from Missouri, but I do know quite a few people that most on here would call "GP" (though I'm generally opposed to the term) who have been to both. Flights to LA and Orlando from here are pretty cheap (RT under $200 pp can be had fairly easily if going off-peak). Most people from here who have been to one have been to WDW--with expenses being roughly equal, 4 parks is generally seen as a better value--but there are more than you'd think who have been to both.

Plus, Is the Twilight Zone franchise that strong anymore? Also the ride was lightly themed to the franchise. Without the Pre-Show, I would have never guessed it was themed to the Twilight Zone. It could have been called Ghost Hotel and you wouldn't have to change much.

Not the biggest fan of the Guardian movie but always down with rethemes to improve.

I doubt the relevance of the The Twilight Zone is a problem. If it was, they would probably remove the references to it on the Paris version, as well. It's true many kids nowadays don't know what it is (I had never even heard of it before the California version was announced), but the theme of a haunted hotel is interesting enough to attract new people.

I'm perfectly fine with the addition of multiple drop profiles, which should have been there from opening day. I'm just disappointed that they aren't keeping the supernatural setting of the original ride with this retheme.

Watching the news this weekend, and they were covering Halloween Time for the resort. The spoke person mentions TOT as a reason to celebrate Halloween time at the resort. And the ride is featured locally in the tv campaign. That of course, will be gone. DCA almost zero Halloween décor set up as we went through on the 1st.

And, when waiting for AP days, heard a woman tell her daughter that the Hollywood Pictures backlot must not be finished, because so much of it is closed and looks 1/2 built. I really wanted to tell her it hasn't been finished in about a decade. Just highlights the fact they are spending money redecorating the one attraction on that side of the park that was complete, while ignoring the many other obvious areas.

heard a woman tell her daughter that the Hollywood Pictures backlot must not be finished, because so much of it is closed and looks 1/2 built. I really wanted to tell her it hasn't been finished in about a decade. Just highlights the fact they are spending money redecorating the one attraction on that side of the park that was complete, while ignoring the many other obvious areas.

You're really missing the point of the themeing there. It's meant to be a Hollywood backlot (like the name, derp) and therefore wouldn't have completed buildings, just facades (the stuff that would be on camera) with structural components (that wouldn't be on camera) exposed. You should come for a backstage tour of my theatre. You'd be shocked to see what the sets look like on the side the audience doesn't see.

Also, regarding your complaint of where they're spending money, a huge E-ticket attraction brings people to the park. Rethemeing an area that's already themed the way they intended does not. ElecTRONica and Mad Tea Party proved that. Yeah, it got some locals to crowd the place for booze options after work but it was overall a detriment to the Disney experience which, thankfully, they're now working towards improving.

Oh I am well aware of their goal to imitate Universal and their own park in FL when they created that area for DCA. The backlot never worked as an attraction space. It wasn't even a good or interesting version of a "backlot" at inception. And Superstar Limo was so crazy bad, they were shamed into plopping a façade over it for Monsters Inc, which has nothing to do with a "backlot" theme. I would actually have liked to see the backlot theme result in an E ticket (heck even a "C" flat ride is better than Stage 12). Over the 10 +years, we have watched them improve the entire park, create an entire new land, and do nothing worthwhile for the "backlot". So for someone new to the park, it looks completely unfinished compared to all other sections of the park, even allowing for the theme. Right now, we have two empty performance stages, the leftover shell of Mad T Party, Muppets is closed, Stage 12 = worthless, Stage 17 closed pretty much all the time. That is why I consider the area still unfinished after all this time.

Did someone say "someone new to the park"?

Well, that was me a few weeks ago, and I thought the Hollywood Studios section looked pretty fun. The false backdrop at the end of the street was very cool, and the Monsters and Tower of Terror rides were great. So maybe I'm a bit naive, but as someone new to the park, I didn't find anything to complain about in that section, and in fact, I spent more time there than in Cars Land. Maybe it was just because it was the first part I saw of the first Disney park I've been to, but it was pretty special.

Well, that was me a few weeks ago, and I thought the Hollywood Studios section looked pretty fun. The false backdrop at the end of the street was very cool, and the Monsters and Tower of Terror rides were great. So maybe I'm a bit naive, but as someone new to the park, I didn't find anything to complain about in that section, and in fact, I spent more time there than in Cars Land. Maybe it was just because it was the first part I saw of the first Disney park I've been to, but it was pretty special.

When I went to DCA, Hollywoodland felt like a filler area. I spent about the same amount of time in Carsland but that's because of Cozy Cone. After The Hollywoodland area, I'd like to see them fix up Grizzly Peak.

When I went to DCA, Hollywoodland felt like a filler area. I spent about the same amount of time in Carsland but that's because of Cozy Cone. After The Hollywoodland area, I'd like to see them fix up Grizzly Peak.

Okay, what needs to be fixed up in Grizzly Peak? It didn't look run down in the slightest to me. It looked practically brand new.

I'd like to see them fix up Grizzly Peak.

Oh, ya? You mean, like when they did this?

Nice! That would explain why it looked practically brand new.

Okay, what needs to be fixed up in Grizzly Peak? It didn't look run down in the slightest to me. It looked practically brand new.

I'd like to see them fix up Grizzly Peak.

Oh, ya? You mean, like when they did this?

Nice! That would explain why it looked practically brand new.

Just playing Armchair Imagineering, I'd like to see them add a Seven Dwarfs Mine Train to Grizzly Peak. Something to take some crowds from Soarin. I'd also like to see some Animatronics/Water Effects added to Grizzly River Run (It wouldn't work but Winnie The Pooh Animatronics?)

The Disney Parks Blog has an update on the Tower of Terror change over!

Mon, October 3, 2016

Collector’s Fortress Transformation Underway Now as Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! Prepares for Summer 2017 Opening at Disney California Adventure Park

Erin Glover

by Erin Glover, Editorial Content Director, Disneyland Resort

GOTGModel1280Marked.thumb.jpg.3893ee84f77c6b85f9af63565637531a.jpg

A huge transformation is underway now at Disney California Adventure park, as The Collector’s Fortress takes shape at the site of what is now the Hollywood Tower Hotel. It will be home to a new adventure, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT!, and today we have a detailed look at what the fortress will look like when the attraction opens summer 2017.

GOTGModelDetail1Marked.jpg.c7768c30cc8277c3f69e3418796d3261.jpg GOTGModelDetail2Marked.jpg.cea849e9eddda2e67737700ec4000cd1.jpg GOTGModelDetail3Marked.jpg.1c929ac13cca664d369a94a541a2e269.jpg

The model pictured here was created by Walt Disney Imagineering to guide the transformation currently taking place on the exterior of the attraction. Every shade and detail you see here will be replicated in full size, as designers, builders and artists work to bring The Collector’s realm to life here at the Disneyland Resort.

This “warehouse, fortress-like power plant” (as described here by Joe Rohde, Creative Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering) is designed to be intimidating and imposing, but also shimmering and regal. It will be the ideal location for The Collector to secure and show off his most prized acquisitions, the Guardians of the Galaxy.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Featuring characters from the blockbuster films, Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! is an epic new adventure combining the familiar, breathtaking free-fall sensation with all-new visual and audio effects, including music inspired by the popular “Guardians of the Galaxy” film soundtrack. Guests will experience a variety of randomized ride experiences, so you never know which adventure you will get!

Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! opens at Disney California Adventure park summer 2017. In the meantime, keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog as we reveal more about the story of this new attraction, re-introduce you to the characters from the “Guardians of the Galaxy” films and take you behind the scenes as this comically high-energy, rocking new adventure comes to life.

GOTGModelClose1280Marked.jpg.882b1505b47c8774e02606f36a73540c.jpg