TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

:lmao:

Yes, I think you are the only one with that opinion.

Disney used to consistently put out quality attractions, but in recent years they have been very lackluster. The imagineers used to create iconic attractions like Splash Mountain, The Great Movie Ride, and Dinosaur. All creative, original, and entertaining. But look at recent additions like Frozen Ever After, Test Track 2, and Soarin Over The World. All cheap overlays instead of new original attractions. They even took out the original Captain Eo and replaced it with Pixar short films at Epcot.

Disney is churning out uninspired, unimaginative, and cheap attractions to us just like Six Flags. The magic is dead, people!

Disney used to consistently put out quality attractions, but in recent years they have been very lackluster. The imagineers used to create iconic attractions like Splash Mountain, The Great Movie Ride, and Dinosaur. All creative, original, and entertaining. But look at recent additions like Frozen Ever After, Test Track 2, and Soarin Over The World. All cheap overlays instead of new original attractions. They even took out the original Captain Eo and replaced it with Pixar short films at Epcot.

Disney is churning out uninspired, unimaginative, and cheap attractions to us just like Six Flags. The magic is dead, people!

Well since this is the Disneyland thread, I will only point out that they are building a Star Wars Land and are not even 10 years removed from Carsland at DCA. Not every attraction can be an E-ticket, nor can you always just expand into new space. Taking perfectly fine ride systems and updating the show material is just smart business sense.

But look at recent additions like Frozen Ever After, Test Track 2, and Soarin Over The World. All cheap overlays instead of new original attractions. They even took out the original Captain Eo and replaced it with Pixar short films at Epcot.

Soarin' and Test Track were just refurbishments that didn't change the basic theme. Test Track is still about car testing, and Soarin' is still about... Well, soaring. Those weren't "Six Flags-esque".

Well since this is the Disneyland thread, I will only point out that they are building a Star Wars Land and are not even 10 years removed from Carsland at DCA. Not every attraction can be an E-ticket, nor can you always just expand into new space. Taking perfectly fine ride systems and updating the show material is just smart business sense.

Absolutely right. As well, this version of the ride was nowhere near as good as the original. Hell, it is not even as good as the clone in Tokyo! The new theme to this attraction will bring it more in line with the other, higher caliber versions of this ride.

Absolutely right. As well, this version of the ride was nowhere near as good as the original. Hell, it is not even as good as the clone in Tokyo! The new theme to this attraction will bring it more in line with the other, higher caliber versions of this ride.

I think it's obvious the Pixar short films attraction is a stop-gap because Captain EO was so bad they had to get rid of it - but are spending so much $ on Springs/DAK/DHS they haven't approved the budget to start making big changes to Epcot yet. Once those projects come to a close you will start seeing more money being poured into Epcot.

The sign added to the immersive theming of the ride. I know it is being transformed into GotG, but come on! The missing sign cheapens the whole experience. Might as well remove signage from every ride in the park! It's not like the rides need it because according to Disney, Tower sure didn't!

The 'ol declining by degrees chestnut broken out over a sign being removed. Instead of complaining that they're taking 9-12 months for a "cheap overlay" that will probably have a budget exceeding every regional park's 2017 capex, why not be happy they're shortening that window and that you still get to ride Tower while they make modifications to the exterior?

Well the Walt Disney Company has plenty of financial resources to infuse into their Theme Parks if the choose to do so.

They have a smart group of executives who know how much they need to invest in capital expenditures for maximum benefits for the parks. The TOT overlay is a smaller capital expense, the Star Wars land is a major long term (future growth) expense.

They know that the public is going to visit their theme parks in large numbers for years to come no matter what they do.........

What's interesting in terms of (MAJOR) capital expenses, is that the Disney is apparently in the running for the acquisition of social media giant Twitter. (Which Robb has been talking about on another thread) The cost to add Twitter to the Disney company has been estimated in the $20 BILLION range! Wow!

Disney would likely want to acquire Twitter to appeal to the 'Digital Audiences' aka younger people.....But that's a rich price to pay for Twitter which doesn't currently earn much or any profit at this point???

Edited by BelizeIt

Disney used to consistently put out quality attractions, but in recent years they have been very lackluster.

Take one look at Pirates in Shanghai and then tell me they don't still got it. Or Cars Land, or New Fantasyland.

The imagineers used to create iconic attractions like Splash Mountain, The Great Movie Ride, and Dinosaur. All creative, original, and entertaining.

All three you mentioned were decades apart.

But look at recent additions like Frozen Ever After, Test Track 2, and Soarin Over The World. All cheap overlays instead of new original attractions.

I wouldn't call Frozen a cheap overlay, especially since it resurrected a ride few people gave a crap about before. And Soarin's refurbishment was long overdue.

They even took out the original Captain Eo and replaced it with Pixar short films at Epcot.

Disney's using their Captain EO theaters across the parks for a wide variety of things. Not to mention the show has served its purpose. It was meant to tribute Micheal Jackson and has been playing long enough.

Now that is hyperbole at a cartoonish level. And Disney fanatics wonder why they're not taken seriously.

That would be interesting. Considering that go.com is the biggest and most successful search engine in history, and nearly everyone has a go.com email address, I think Disney could transform Twitter into a real powerhouse.

This is good bait.

As for "cheap layovers" being a new thing, they aren't either in the global theme park sense or the Disney sense. MK and DL's Tomorrowlands are FULL of them. Walt opened DL with a cheap circus layover on top of a used carousel as one of the Fantasyland centerpieces. People who even know their history like to forget parts of it when convenient.

That would be interesting. Considering that go.com is the biggest and most successful search engine in history, and nearly everyone has a go.com email address, I think Disney could transform Twitter into a real powerhouse.

This is good bait.

I aim to please.

As for "cheap layovers" being a new thing, they aren't either in the global theme park sense or the Disney sense. MK and DL's Tomorrowlands are FULL of them. Walt opened DL with a cheap circus layover on top of a used carousel as one of the Fantasyland centerpieces. People who even know their history like to forget parts of it when convenient.

Truth. I think what the "what Walt would have wanted" crowd misses is that what Walt really wanted was to make a sh*tload of money.

I haven't been on the site in a while, but I'm well aware of what's going on with ToT. My opinion on the exterior:

Some high ranking businessman in Disney accidentally pushed some of his desk supplies off of his desk (a magnet, paper clips, and other random crap), and it just happened to look like the ToT building shape, but all of the metal things stuck to the magnets and he's like, "hey, that looks pretty good!"

I want to be an Imagineer, and I support what they do and all, but in this case I really don't agree with the exterior design. The concept is pretty cool though, but they should have made a new ride rather than reskinning the Twilight Zone theme.

I haven't been on the site in a while, but I'm well aware of what's going on with ToT. My opinion on the exterior:

Some high ranking businessman in Disney accidentally pushed some of his desk supplies off of his desk (a magnet, paper clips, and other random crap), and it just happened to look like the ToT building shape, but all of the metal things stuck to the magnets and he's like, "hey, that looks pretty good!"

I want to be an Imagineer, and I support what they do and all, but in this case I really don't agree with the exterior design. The concept is pretty cool though, but they should have made a new ride rather than reskinning the Twilight Zone theme.

Everyone would like new rides. We'd all like giant e-tickets, we want them built in 90 days, we want them with 80 foot tall animatronics that run and jump and play basketball, and and and and....

Up until the talk started for this thing getting redone, all the militant Waltians hated this thing anyways. It was a thrill ride, it didn't have the part where the car moves forward "through space", and the exit wasn't themed enough or something. It had all the strikes against it. Now they start work on it and the world is ending. Oh woe is they!

Everyone would like new rides. We'd all like giant e-tickets, we want them built in 90 days, we want them with 80 foot tall animatronics that run and jump and play basketball, and and and and....

Up until the talk started for this thing getting redone, all the militant Waltians hated this thing anyways. It was a thrill ride, it didn't have the part where the car moves forward "through space", and the exit wasn't themed enough or something. It had all the strikes against it. Now they start work on it and the world is ending. Oh woe is they!

Many of the people who incessantly whined about the ride before the announcement will probably still whine about Guardians. Nothing's changed there. However, now people who actually liked this version of the ride are adding to the number of complaints.

I am surprised there aren't more people thinking this "could" be a good thing in the end. I think the new version will be amazingly better then the original. My only thought is that the ride is so big and tall, it's seen from all over the park. But, that's not really a problem.

I'm sure for many disgruntled people, they enjoy the haunted hotel theme as much, if not more, than the actual ride. Re-skinning it to Guardians of the Galaxy would change a big part of what made them like it. At least, that's how I see it. However, I'm not going to boycott the ride due to potentially liking it less. I'll try it, and make my decision then. I'm simply just not enthusiastic about losing the hotel theme.

What I can't wait to see is the new interior. The boiler room now looks ok, but I can only imagine what the Imagineers will transform that into. (Some of the early draft images look great so far) Since I really enjoyed that movie, I think this change will be a nice update to DCA.

What I can't wait to see is the new interior. The boiler room now looks ok, but I can only imagine what the Imagineers will transform that into. (Some of the early draft images look great so far) Since I really enjoyed that movie, I think this change will be a nice update to DCA.

The California and Paris versions of ToT have always looked rather "cartoony" (the Florida and Japan versions are more impressive). I'm also curious about the interior and what sort of new effects they'll have in the queue (not to mention in the ride).