TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I'm probably the only one out there who thinks that Disney shouldn't have purchased Marvel.

Probably. Purchasing Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm has ensured Disney has a catalog of IP's that will keep the studios, theme park, and consumer product divisions printing money for ages...

I am currently compiling a list of all the roller coasters I've ridden, and I was wondering if I should count the Matterhorn Bobsleds once or twice. There are two tracks but since its the same attraction do I count both tracks as the same roller coaster?

Appreciate the help,

Riddle42

It's whatever you want to do. Everyone counts differently, and ultimately it's your list. The main purpose is for you to remember the experiences you've had. If you want to count both sides to remember that you had both experiences, go for it. If you feel Matterhorn Bobsleds as a whole is one experience, that's cool too. Well, counting coasters isn’t really cool, per se, but you get the idea. We're all nerds with you.

One of the issues I think people are having with this makeover is that there are several areas at DCA that could use an overhaul. The resort is crowded, and doing a makeover on one of the more heavily themed rides in the park does nothing to increase capacity. It would be really nice for example for a physical expansion of TSMM (like in Florida), a new flat for the Maliboomer grave site, an attraction for the Muppets theater beyond just dull trailers, expanding Bugs Land, something to be done with the stages of the "back lot" (Jammin' - the new show = bad). Visually, both the Fun Wheel and Screamin' have terrible (by Disney standards) standby lines.

Another issue that was never resolved was that the hotel should have been placed at the end of a Hollywood street. On one side is Hyperion, and then you have the side of the Animation building which is incredibly plain. The BV street style should have wrapped around the side leading to the hotel. Now with TOT changing to a sci-fi theme, and the only sci-fi theme in the entire park, it will be even more out of place than it was before. That is very disappointing considering the amazing work done with Carsland and Buena Vista street.

While I don't think it is a sign of the dark days of DCA's past returning, I can certainly see why this move by Disney is causing concern.

I would imagine that re-doing ToT was done intentionally as the first phase in creating a proper super hero land that will eventually swallow up the backstage space behind it and be the anchor of another 5-10 years of expansion that will likely also include some of the things you mentioned.

I would imagine that re-doing ToT was done intentionally as the first phase in creating a proper super hero land that will eventually swallow up the backstage space behind it and be the anchor of another 5-10 years of expansion that will likely also include some of the things you mentioned.

That's my guess as well. I like ToT, but I dreaded that area. It was just a huge open area with not a lot to do.

That's my guess as well. I like ToT, but I dreaded that area. It was just a huge open area with not a lot to do.

I think the best evidence that much of the studio section was wasted space was its use as a party zone for ElecTRONica and Mad Tea Party. When those events weren't running, what was the point of going there, except to get to ToT? The animation exhibit is only a shadow of what it was when it first opened. The Monsters Inc. ride is fun, but not all that amazing.

I quit two years ago EXCEPT for my trips to socal. There's just something so magical about smoking in the Disney Resort.

Was devastated when they changed the Rivers of America smoking spot a few years ago to no longer be a smoking spot during Fantasmic. Was SUCH a great view of the show.

Based on this Google Earth shot, the space that most believe will become "Marvel Land" is a bit smaller than Carsland.

In blue is the backstage space and where Tower of Terror currently is, and in red is Carsland, including the Radiator Springs Racers showbuilding. If the new superhero themed area does indeed take over this backstage space, Disney will either need to become creative in its use of available space, such as Universal and Transformers, or any new attractions would be very small.

With the theories of how large the Star Wars Land Battle Escape attraction will be, it seems unlikely any Marvel attraction would be up to this standard. I just hope any new attractions at Disneyland Resort, whether Star Wars or Marvel themed, can combine the amazing effects and storytelling of Ratatouille in Paris and Pirates of the Caribbean in Shanghai.

If the new superhero themed area does indeed take over this backstage space, Disney will either need to become creative in its use of available space, such as Universal and Transformers, or any new attractions would be very small.

With the theories of how large the Star Wars Land Battle Escape attraction will be, it seems unlikely any Marvel attraction would be up to this standard. I just hope any new attractions at Disneyland Resort, whether Star Wars or Marvel themed, can combine the amazing effects and storytelling of Ratatouille in Paris and Pirates of the Caribbean in Shanghai.

To be fair, this potential Marvel land already has an E-ticket attraction in the Guardians makeover. What's to say that they don't build maybe one more E-ticket plus a copy of the Iron Man Experience from HKDL? Seems like they have plenty of room for that.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/disneyland-railroad-and-rivers-of-america-attractions-to-reopen-summer-2017-at-disneyland-park/

Over the past few weeks, we’ve been sharing stories about the original Disneyland park attractions that our guests have loved for more than 60 years. With all of the great memories we’ve been recalling, it seems the perfect time to reveal some exciting news about some of these classic attractions. Today, I’m pleased to tell you that the Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America will reopen summer 2017 at Disneyland park.

This includes all attractions along the Rivers of America:

• “Fantasmic!”
  • Mark Twain Riverboat and Sailing Ship Columbia
  • Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
  • Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes

The new northern bank of the Rivers of America is the latest in a 60-year evolution of this classic waterway. This Disneyland original has been taking guests on a journey along four iconic American rivers since it opened on July 17, 1955. On opening day, there was just one way to travel the rivers … on board the Mark Twain Riverboat.

One year later, in 1956, traffic on the Rivers of America picked up significantly with the addition of Indian War Canoes (now known as Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes) and Tom Sawyer Island Rafts (which took guests to the newly opened Tom Sawyer Island).

Then in 1958, another large watercraft joined Mark Twain Riverboat on trips around the Rivers of America. Sailing Ship Columbia is an exact replica of the 18th century merchant vessel, Columbia Rediviva, the first American ship to circumnavigate the globe, and the namesake of Oregon’s Columbia River.

The next significant change to the Rivers of America came in 1966 with the addition of New Orleans Square. Now guests could take a genteel stroll along the banks of the Mississippi River (one of four sections on the waterway), enjoying live music along with a lovely view.

In 1992, the quiet New Orleans Square nights were replaced by a fantastical journey into Mickey Mouse’s imagination with the debut of “Fantasmic!” Quickly a guest favorite, the show went on to also delight guests at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort.

And next year, history will be made on the Rivers of America once again with a gorgeous new riverbank and an elevated trestle over which the iconic Disneyland Railroad will travel. For now, be sure to stop by the Main Street and New Orleans Square stations now to get an up-close look at the steam engines of the Disneyland Railroad, and we’ll be back with a look at how the railroad has changed through the years while remaining a Disneyland icon.

Get ready to hit the rails and the water again when Disneyland Railroad and Rivers of America attractions reopen, summer 2017!

ROA-Rendering-900.jpg.6a8d410565396412fd6ba1df47fdbbc9.jpg

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/08/welcome-back-favorite-entertainment-spectaculars-at-disneyland-resort-this-fall/

With the dazzling Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration coming to a close on September 5, we’re pleased to announce that this fall will see the return of two favorite nighttime spectaculars.

At Disney California Adventure park, the original version of “World of Color” will be presented, beginning September 6, with all the great sequences of Disney animation and music you remember, from WALL-E and Eve zipping through the cosmos to Pocahontas exploring just around the riverbend.

Across the Esplanade at Disneyland park, you’ll once again be able to enjoy the timeless soundtrack of Disney’s “Fantasy in the Sky” fireworks spectacular when it lights up the sky over Sleeping Beauty Castle Friday through Sunday evenings starting September 9. Versions of “Fantasy in the Sky” date back to 1958, when Walt Disney envisioned the show as a spectacular “kiss goodnight” for his Disneyland guests.

“World of Color” and “Fantasy in the Sky” will each be presented through the early November kickoff of Holidays at the Disneyland Resort. So go ahead and plan your visit, and get your nostalgia on!

dndnfw2e121.thumb.jpg.b745cc580e76d577c53837786418afce.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

Disneyland is my favorite park in the world. I recently visited Disney world for the first time and although I loved it, I think I prefer Disneyland (the park) to Magic Kingdom. Overall, though, I preferred Disney World to DLR. The main reason I think Disneyland is better than Magic Kingdom is the Indiana Jones ride (and the fact that it is the park I was raised on). The Magic Kingdom castle puts Disneyland to shame, though

My favorite ride in any Disney park is Haunted Mansion. I just love the history and story of it and all of the intricacy and authenticity of everything in the ride. One of the coolest experiences I've ever had was on the Haunted Mansion at Magic Kingdom. We got stuck at the beginning of the graveyard scene, and were evacuated. I got to walk backwards throughout the entire ride, next to the track, with the lights on. It was amazing, almost like a VIP tour. I hope that someday (probably college) I can work on the ride, and then possibly try to turn it into a career in the park (like management or Imagineering). The park is a truly magical place. I hope it stays that way.

FYI, I learned on my trip today that Soarin' Around the World no longer offers single rider access, even though the park map says it does. When I brought this to the attending cast member's attention, I was met with a rather rudely said "the maps are old", so I think they were tired of being asked.