TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I think I may be the only person who has never cared at all about DCA's ToT.... I've always found it to be a mediocre ride at best. It's never been overly popular and it drives me crazy that even with no line it takes 15 minutes to get on a 90 second ride. Throw in the experience you get on WDW's version and if further shows how sad California's version is.

I'm looking forward to a more fun overall experience and a randomized drop sequence. I think this could be a great change.

I agree. I won't miss the ride. Only thing I'm not a fan of is it will be out of place until the rest of the Marvel land pops up.

Conceptually, ToT is by far my favorite Disney attraction. I love the Twilight Zone, Rod Serling, and everything about the off-key atmosphere. I think it hits the best creepy note among Disney's rides, Haunted Mansion included. With the DCA version, I can see the appeal to arguments of ToT's questionable popularity and inferior presentation vs. Orlando's, but those arguments don't assuage my initial gut feeling that this announcement reads like a surreal April Fool's joke. I wonder if ToT would have been better protected against a re-wrapping if it hadn't felt so tacked on and unsupported in that dead end of the park in the first place.

DCA's execution brought the skeletal concept of ToT, but it didn't capture the heart or soul of that ride's legacy. I think "good" Tower should be untouchable, an iconic must-do in the ballpark of Pirates, Haunted Mansion, etc. The Guardians injection could help DCA's version, but it's still a shame to me that ToT never had the chutzpah of Florida's version going for it.

Edited by Samuel

I enjoyed the Twilight Zone TV show. I'm not a big fan of drop towers, but I like the theming in the TOT attractions.

That said, my generation (and probably only a small percentage of it) is probably the last generation that's even heard of The Twilight Zone, much less cares about or has any emotional attachment to it. And there's still a Twilight Zone TOT in Orlando. And it sounds like it's basically going to be the same ride but with different characters (whom a larger portion of today's audiences will have heard of/be able to identify).

Sounds like a win to me. Unless retheming-instead-of-designing-new-attractions becomes an ongoing trend Which, considering they're building an entire new land for Star Wars and now talking about an all-new Marvel-themed area, it doesn't sound like it will.

So DCA is supposed to be all about the magic and wonder of the Golden State. An idealized vision of the magical essence that is California as envisioned when a young and ambitious little man named Walt Disney first arrived back in the 1930s. To keep true with this tradition, Disney is gonna invest a ton of money into themed rides totally unrelated to California, like Guardians of the Galaxy and Soarin over the World.

Starting out with a well thought out theme only to ditch it a year later is the kinda thing we usually give Six Flags crap for, now it seems a bunch of short sided corporate executives at Disney are following suit. I think Disney should drop any pretense of DCA being a park about California and just rename it Disney Hollywood Studios cause that's the direction the park seems to be going right now, a bunch of blockbuster movie franchises getting their own uniquely themed lands adjacent to each other. Unlike the Frozen refurb, which fits the Norway pavilion beatifully, DCA is constantly having to re-theme itself and giving itself face lifts, as if it's going through an identity crisis or something.

As for the ride itself, I would've preferred an American Horror Story or Supernatural overlay as that would keep the haunted house theme consistent, but like others have said, I've been to the one in FL and there's just no comparison, so long as that one stays untouched I'm open to see how this one turns out so we'll see...

I think I may be the only person who has never cared at all about DCA's ToT.... I've always found it to be a mediocre ride at best. It's never been overly popular and it drives me crazy that even with no line it takes 15 minutes to get on a 90 second ride. Throw in the experience you get on WDW's version and if further shows how sad California's version is.

You're not the only one. And anyone who claims to be a "fan" of the DCA Tower I would gladly call their bluff. I can't think of any other "major" E-Ticket attraction at the Disneyland Resort that has been talked about less or gets such little support from the "fans" as ToT has since it has opened. I still hear people talk about Indy, Carsland, even California Screamin', Space Mountain, Matterhorn, etc. But where is the love for DCA's Tower of Terror? There isn't any.

And I guarantee you that if the Californians had embraced the ride like they do many other attractions, this might not have happened, but the reality is there is very little love for ToT at that park, and result is that it will be easy for the Imagineers to change it, because other than a handful of loud, obnoxious fly-by-night die hard fans, no one is really going to miss it THAT much.

It will still be a heavily themed drop ride. And beyond that, I don't think most people are going to care.

I guess I'm the only one that thinks the exterior concept art looks pretty ugly. You can still clearly see all the characteristics of the current building.

It reminds me of the 98 Tomorrowland goldification.

Eh, looks more like the BTTF -> Simpsons conversion at Universal. No huge structural changes to the building. Minor adjustments to the ride itself. Just about everything inside and outside will look and feel different to fit the new theme. If this theme is executed similar to Tokyo's ToT, it will be an incredible improvement.

But where is the love for DCA's Tower of Terror? There isn't any.

The only part I'll miss is the predictable bunny hill and its crazy (in CA relative terms) airtime. But even that's not going away. We'll just not know it'll happen until it happens as with FL's Tower. Not a huge loss, and everything to gain with tapping into the broad appeal of Guardians of the Galaxy.

I'm okay with this. It gives DCA another "unique" attraction not seen at another Disney park.

As long as they don't touch the one in Florida. In that case I will be pissed (though luckily I don't think they can put Marvel attractions over there, I think).

So DCA is supposed to be all about the magic and wonder of the Golden State. An idealized vision of the magical essence that is California as envisioned when a young and ambitious little man named Walt Disney first arrived back in the 1930s. To keep true with this tradition, Disney is gonna invest a ton of money into themed rides totally unrelated to California, like Guardians of the Galaxy and Soarin over the World.

Starting out with a well thought out theme only to ditch it a year later is the kinda thing we usually give Six Flags crap for, now it seems a bunch of short sided corporate executives at Disney are following suit. I think Disney should drop any pretense of DCA being a park about California and just rename it Disney Hollywood Studios cause that's the direction the park seems to be going right now, a bunch of blockbuster movie franchises getting their own uniquely themed lands adjacent to each other. Unlike the Frozen refurb, which fits the Norway pavilion beatifully, DCA is constantly having to re-theme itself and giving itself face lifts, as if it's going through an identity crisis or something.

As for the ride itself, I would've preferred an American Horror Story or Supernatural overlay as that would keep the haunted house theme consistent, but like others have said, I've been to the one in FL and there's just no comparison, so long as that one stays untouched I'm open to see how this one turns out so we'll see...

As a local Californian it bothers me to see a park once themed about the great parts of our state be turned into some confused land of whatever ideas Disney didn't have the space to put in Disneyland. Obviously I'm excited for the new ToT because it will create a much better ride experience, but now only Grizzly River Run and California Sreamin' remain as the original California rides. Not before long they'll be different too.

Not sure what part of California Screamin' has anything to do with CA. The name is a weak play off an old song. The coaster's theme is virtually non-existent. People ride it because roller coaster. There isn't a single thing about it that says "California" to me.

Screamin' could have a re-theme announcement tomorrow and nothing thematically would be lost.

Not sure what part of California Screamin' has anything to do with CA. The name is a weak play off an old song. The coaster's theme is virtually non-existent. People ride it because roller coaster. There isn't a single thing about it that says "California" to me.

Screamin' could have a re-theme announcement tomorrow and nothing thematically would be lost.

It's meant to resemble a wooden coaster from boardwalk amusement parks. The Paradise Pier area is appropriate for a California themed park.

I feel like Disney was one step away from completing the 1920/30s style throughout the park. Carthay Circle/the new entrance/paradise pier/old Hollywood/grizzly Rapids even... They all fit together. Now they're throwing marvel into the best looking part of the Hollywood section? I guess they need to retheme the entire Hollywood section (which includes the newish trolley cars that run from tot to the entrance).

I'm not too stoked about this. I wish they'd just open an entire marvel/Star Wars third gate. Oh well, I'm sure it'll be done nicely.

The reason they ditched the California-centric theme was because the park was failing miserably in reviews and reputation. Hell, it's STILL only pulling half of the number of visitors than Disneyland. They're adding these new attractions that have huge audience recognition to sell tickets. Disney couldn't care less that the original (failed) idea for the park is dead.

Sheesh, Disney fanboys always harping on about how it's a travesty things are changing. Well, guess what? They're changing FOR THE BETTER in every case! Cars Land? It's incredible. Soarin' Over The World? I hate the ride system but the new video is a massive improvement over the original. Ariel's Undersea Adventure? Fantastic classic-style Disney dark ride! Monster's Inc? Nothing particularly special but literally anything is better than Superstar Limo.

Quit whining about how Walt would be spinning in his grave and just be happy they're coming up with ways to save the second-worst Disney park in the chain (in attendance numbers).

Edit - Forgot Disney Studios existed in Paris. DCA is the third-worst performer behind it and Hong Kong.

Edited by KBrylczyk

The reason they ditched the California-centric theme was because the park was failing miserably in reviews and reputation. Hell, it's STILL only pulling half of the number of visitors than Disneyland. They're adding these new attractions that have huge audience recognition to sell tickets. Disney couldn't care less that the original (failed) idea for the park is dead.

Sheesh, Disney fanboys always harping on about how it's a travesty things are changing. Well, guess what? They're changing FOR THE BETTER in every case! Cars Land? It's incredible. Soarin' Over The World? I hate the ride system but the new video is a massive improvement over the original. Ariel's Undersea Adventure? Fantastic classic-style Disney dark ride! Monster's Inc? Nothing particularly special but literally anything is better than Superstar Limo.

Quit whining about how Walt would be spinning in his grave and just be happy they're coming up with ways to save the second-worst Disney park in the chain (in attendance numbers).

Whats the worst? Walt Disney Studios Park?

Yeah, the Paris Studios park didn't even break the TEA's top 25 in terms of attendance in 2015. California Adventure certainly hasn't done as well compared to the other Disney parks, but the only two parks outside of Disney that did better than California Adventure were the Universal Studios parks in Osaka and Orlando.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, even though I've generally felt these movie rethemes are a huge gamble. Robb pointed out the transformation to Maelstrom that actually turned out pretty well, but then there's other things like Stitch's Great Escape that completely ruined what used to be there.

They should redo Stitch with a Guardians theme if they want to incorporate more marvel into WDW, it actually would probably work really well given its space themed and would be in tomorrowland. Anything would be better as long as they made it more like the original alien ride but maybe somewhere in between that and stitch as to be just scary enough but not overly frightening.

Sorry for the essay in advance.

As a Southern California local, I have ridden ToT in its current, Twilight Zone, theme. I love the idea and the queue is my favorite part of the current experience. As for the GoG retheme, I'm torn.

On one hand, the huge Marvel fan in me is excited for a new land themed to my favorite heroes. The prospect of a possible E-Ticket attraction joining Radiator Springs Racers in this new land is what I am most looking forward to. Having not had an innovative attraction at the resort in over 20 years (Indy), I have been waiting for an E-Ticket for a while.

Then, there is the fact of doubling-back by Disney. Yes, the California theme of the park was originally a total failure (mainly due to off-the-shelf rides and gaudy decorations), but the recent renovations have turned the park into a beautiful piece of mastery. Having taken a trip there alone back in March, I found myself wandering around Grizzly Peak and Carsland, forgetting I was in a theme park and not in the "real" world. But this announcement tells me I might be alone in these feelings.

Obviously the major renovation that finished back in 2012 has not reached the general public the way Disney expected. On that same March visit I noticed DCA felt about half as full as DL did. ToT only had a 10 minute wait, Screamin' boasted a lofty 20 minute wait, and Radiator Springs Racers was the longest at 45 minutes. All these were smack in the middle of spring break, one of the parks' busiest times.

In short, the retheme would be a brilliant move by Imagineering if it had not committed to the "California of the 20's" theme less than 5 years ago. Now, I would not be surprised if the name is changed to "Disney Anything Goes Adventure" in the near future. I loved the idea of Star Wars Land, especially since it was replacing a scarcely crowded corner of the park, and now this "Marvel Land" announcement has made me even more excited for the possibilities of attractions both of these expansions hold.

^ ^ ^

You're not alone. This announcement has pissed off a lot of Disneyland fans. (The announcement video even has a like/dislike ratio similar to the 2016 Ghostbusters trailer)