TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Is this one going to be $350 a night in the off season, too?! Can't wait to say screw that and go to the $60 Super 8 instead!

You can find my white A$$ at the HoJo for like $100 with a shorter walk to the gate.

I imagine they are counting on two things:

1. rich international tourists still pouring in

2. People with families who will charge their convention visit to their expense account.

Personally, I've always enjoyed Hotel Menage across the street. 24 hour pool and nice rooms.

Having vastly cheaper non-Disney hotels within walking distance of the park is a massive advantage to visiting Disneyland.. We got the similarly priced Courtyard Marriot Anaheim across the street only because of points, and it was an incredible hotel with 2 showers per room. Having an option like that in walking distance without spending extra money was such a luxury. I don't think I could just drop 400+ dollars a night on a hotel room ever, too many better uses of money out there.

Yeah, that's exactly why I think Disney focuses on high end in CA...it isn't worth it to add a value resort with so much competition and not being able to "trap" them like they can at WDW with so much to do.

I haven't been to Disneyland in a couple years. I got my Premium Pass when it was something like $600 for the year, right before they were going to up it to $850 a year, and I have to say it was a blast. However, this was during the same year which they would open up Cars Land (a big reason I jumped on it). During that year, I saw a ridiculous change in the amount of crowds that would visit the park almost any day of the year. When it came time for my pass to expire, the difference in the volume of the crowds were pretty much unbearable. We would get free parking, free admission, any day of the year, but to me it just seemed like the crowds really ruined so much of the fun. All I ever wanted to do was go enjoy the park with my girl, get on a couple rides, maybe have some dinner in the park, but being so packed really ruined a lot of the magic for us.

The pass I used to have, which now seems to be the Disney Signature Plus, is $1049.

I cannot imagine paying that much to not have what I used to have, while very VERY little has improved throughout the resort since that time. The hotel expansion is great, I'm all for it. But what doesn't make sense to me is how this park is going to continue to maintain the crowds it has on a regular basis and continue to provide the same experience I was used to back when I was young, as well as that year of my Premium Pass.

As far as I am concerned, within the next decade if it continues this way, there is going to have to be some major infrastructural improvements not so much to DCA, but to Disneyland in general regarding its capacity concerns and overall experience the guest encounters. I love both the parks so much, but let's put it this way, I've been offered free admission a couple times and literally was like "There's no way I'm going there to deal with that sh*t!"

...As far as I am concerned, within the next decade if it continues this way, there is going to have to be some major infrastructural improvements not so much to DCA, but to Disneyland in general regarding its capacity concerns and overall experience the guest encounters. I love both the parks so much, but let's put it this way, I've been offered free admission a couple times and literally was like "There's no way I'm going there to deal with that sh*t!"

The Absolute Big Brother Bizzaro idea I can ever think of for DL's future:

PARKS Reservation System (PRS), where you actually have to pay for and reserve the park you're going to.

Limited number of spots per day, to allow locals and SP holders their sets of numbers. If they allow that, as well.

It's exactly like the New Park Idea in WDW they were tossing around, a few years back. Based on MYST, and only

Reserved Tickets for the whole park itself, were going to be handled. And only a max.number per day allowed, too.

In other words, "A High End Park." Disneyland could turn into that. And DCA too. But who knows?

Sad that the numbers are increasing a lot, though. I'm visiting DLR after WCB, and I hope my

mid-week visits aren't going to be too.....um..... overwhelming?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, we're considering visiting again soon (after having a great trip), and would love to get some more 'personal' experience on crowds to be able to choose the best week to go during either october or november (during the weekdays). Now, onto some questions... How does Halloween Time really affect crowds? In particular, the 3 hour early arrivals for Mickey's Halloween Party nights, and just how busy is Halloween week itself (including Halloween Day)? As for november, would the second week (with the big marathon event, veterans day, and filming that weekend) or the third week (with the following week being thanksgiving) be better? Thanks in advance for any responses!

Hey all, I will be in Anaheim next week for a conference and plan on visiting either DL or DCA. I will more than likely be going alone, as my co-workers aren't really into amusement parks and Disney. I may be able to hit one park Saturday afternoon til closing, but most likely will be going all day on Thursday. Any tips or advice on which park to visit and things to focus on inside the park to make the most of my limited visit is greatly appreciated.

So, we're considering visiting again soon (after having a great trip), and would love to get some more 'personal' experience on crowds to be able to choose the best week to go during either october or november (during the weekdays). Now, onto some questions... How does Halloween Time really affect crowds? In particular, the 3 hour early arrivals for Mickey's Halloween Party nights, and just how busy is Halloween week itself (including Halloween Day)? As for november, would the second week (with the big marathon event, veterans day, and filming that weekend) or the third week (with the following week being thanksgiving) be better? Thanks in advance for any responses!

I went the week before Thanksgiving a few years ago, and the crowds weren't that bad. It may have changed since then, but I think that would be the best choice to get around the marathon etc.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/disneyland-park-guests-get-a-peek-at-new-star-wars-themed-land/

In April, we celebrated the official groundbreaking of Star Wars-themed lands coming to Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts, and beginning today, Disneyland park guests can get a glimpse of this exciting and immersive experience. A new image has been unveiled on the fence along Big Thunder Trail in Frontierland – one of the entry points to this never-before-seen planet in the Star Wars galaxy – revealing more about what guests will find in this all-new land.

Nestled between towering spires of rock, this thriving port contains a seemingly familiar architecture of markets, landing zones and buildings. Click here for a larger version of the image above. Look closely and you may find hints of some of the thrilling experiences that are coming – like the Millennium Falcon peeking out of one of the cargo bays, marking the location where guests will get the opportunity to pilot the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy.

The 14-acre land will be the largest-ever single-themed land expansion at Disneyland Resort. Keep an eye on the Disney Parks Blog – we’ll continue to bring you updates as we learn more about this planet, as well as the citizens, aliens and droids who populate it.

SWThemedLand1280.jpg.875675c08579437570eb0f2d85dcbae3.jpg

I was there this past sunday, and admired the dirt lot from the top floor of the garage. It is a great vantage point to see how the area is changing. The scale is huge, and it is amazing to see the space developing. Wish they had a target opening year announced though! Thanks for the concept art pic. Missed that on the walk around the park.

I love how the new (eventual) train trestle for the park's train is also there, just barely noticeable.

But it does show you, how really close that trestle is going to be, in relation to SWL.

roa-rendering-900.jpg.abc342f24efc77bf9a382624846f6f14.jpg

Reminder of the train trestle concept art, here.

I'm guessing that the other attraction (not the Millenium Falcon ride) will be similar to the ride system used in the new Shanghai Pirates ride, which should be awesome.

Especially with the whole system out of the water, and maybe having the track elevated at points, for a more "flying" feeling? The track could easily descend, so that it feels like the ride vehicle is actually "landing", too. My Blue Sky Add-on.

I just found out (and no, it takes me a while to find out, how long these dated events actually are, in world-wide Disney Parks)...

I'll be down at the Disneyland Resort (and Knott's and MM) just as they get started on their Halloween Season!

Which is awesome, because I have always wanted to see the original park at that time of year, AND

getting to ride The First NBC overlay at the Haunted Mansion!

This will also be my fourth, out of five, Magic Kingdoms visited during their Halloween "Season!"

WDW's is the only one I know I haven't been to, during that "season". Who knows? Could happen in the future.

halloween-time-00-full.jpg.5d8d115e2919d001a5dde11a15db60e3.jpg

Can't wait to see and EAT/DRINK/EAT my way through DLR's Boo Time! And the Souvenirs!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2016/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-mission-breakout-coming-to-disney-california-adventure-park-summer-2017?CMP=SOC-FBPAGE20160724024800

It's official: Tower of Terror at DCA will become Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission BREAKOUT.

According to the announcement video this will be the first attraction in an entirely new themed land.

Today at San Diego Comic-Con, Kevin Feige, President of Marvel Studios, announced to a packed house of fans that the Guardians of the Galaxy are coming to Disney California Adventure park!

Beginning in summer 2017, the outrageous and irreverent gang will appear in Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! – a comically high-energy, rocking new adventure. Guests will be right in the mix with characters from the blockbuster “Guardians of the Galaxy” films.

Deep inside his fortress-like collection, the mysterious Taneleer Tivan (aka The Collector) is displaying his newest acquisitions, the Guardians of the Galaxy. They are trapped in customized display cases, suspended over a vast abyss. Unbeknownst to their unscrupulous captor, the intrepid Rocket has escaped and is enlisting the Collector’s VIP guests for help. Guests board a gantry lift, which launches them into a chaotic and hilarious adventure as they join Rocket in an attempt to break his fellow Guardians out of captivity.

GOTGInt610.jpg

The new attraction will anchor a broader universe of Super Heroes that will grow over time at Disney California Adventure park. This exciting new presence will transform the structure currently housing The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ (scheduled to close in early 2017) into an epic new adventure, enhancing the breathtaking free fall sensation with all-new visual and audio effects to create a variety of ride experiences. Guests will experience multiple random, unique ride profiles in which the rise and fall of the gantry lift will rock to the beat of music inspired by the film’s popular soundtrack.

GOTGShow610.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy – Mission: BREAKOUT! opens summer 2017 at Disney California Adventure park. Stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog as we’ll bring you more details as the attraction develops as well as opportunities to celebrate The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™ before it closes in early 2017.

image.jpeg.e98a349a8c8dd45bb486b3c3466ad1f6.jpeg

I'm a huge fan of Tower of Terror but I'm an even bigger Marvel fan. I welcome these changes in hopes the other versions of Tower of Terror remain with their respective themes. Please don't touch the WDW and Tokyo versions !

image.jpeg.e98a349a8c8dd45bb486b3c3466ad1f6.jpeg

I'm a huge fan of Tower of Terror but I'm an even bigger Marvel fan. I welcome these changes in hopes the other versions of Tower of Terror remain with their respective themes. Please don't touch the WDW and Tokyo versions !

Guardians of the Galaxy film director James Gunn chimes in on the development of this new attraction...

A NEW DISNEYLAND GOTG ATTRACTION IS COMING

I’m a huge Disneyland fan and the Tower of Terror is my second favorite attraction there (Space Mountain is number one). So when the folks approached me, asking me to be involved with a new Guardians attraction, I was apprehensive.

But then the Walt Disney Imagineering folks showed me what they had in mind and MY MIND WAS COMPLETELY BLOWN. It was awesome (see the attached concept art for a very small taste). Exhilarating and novel and interactive. I can’t be more pleased to have partnered up with Walt Disney Imagineering in this production, helping to direct and shape the experience so that it has all the heart and fun and humor Guardians movies do.

Chris Pratt, Zoe Saldana, Dave Bautista, and I, along with a few other members of the Guardians cast, put our full effort into making it as great as we knew it could be. We shot most of it while we were in Atlanta shooting Vol. 2, and I can’t wait for you guys to see it and experience it firsthand the next time you visit the park.

image.thumb.jpeg.af7357476721f4636c87ec7b28f35d9c.jpeg

Guardians of The Galaxy : Mission BREAKOUT

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm ok with this, and here's why.

California's Tower has always been inferior to Florida's Tower, which I consider to be THE Tower of Terror (Disney, you better not lay a finger on that one). If this retheme is done right, it'll be a really fun immersive attraction. Looking forward to it.

I'm ok with this, and here's why.

California's Tower has always been inferior to Florida's Tower, which I consider to be THE Tower of Terror (Disney, you better not lay a finger on that one). If this retheme is done right, it'll be a really fun immersive attraction. Looking forward to it.

So here's my thoughts on this... Knowing that this ride will also be a centerpiece for a new Marvel themed area at DCA, and also knowing that California's Tower of Terror is nowhere near as good as the Florida version, and thus it never seemed to reach the same kind of popularity as it did in Florida, I don't see this as being that terrible. Yes, I would *prefer* to see this ride stay the Twilight Zone theme, but given that it doesn't really hold a candle to the original version, perhaps disassociating it from the original and giving the ride it's own identity is not a bad idea.

In short, I'm "ok" with this.

If you want to go on the REAL Tower of Terror... go to Walt Disney World

Now, that being said, I just want to put it out there than anyone who bitched about Maelstrom closing and getting a "Frozen overlay" should be LIVID about this. Because with the new Frozen ride, you walk into it and the whole thing feels like a brand new attraction. With a ride like Tower, this is NO WAY to hide the fact that building used to be Tower of Terror.

While I personally don't give a crap one way or the other about the ride being an "overlay" or not, I'm just saying that all those hypocritical Disney bastards better be giving this one as much crap as they gave Frozen! (And I personally LOVE the Frozen ride, much MUCH more than the terrible Maelstrom ride that it replaced!)

Edited by robbalvey

While I love Tower of Terror's Art Deco theming and agree that the original Tower should never be touched, I can't help but think that this looks freakin' awesome.

I could not stop looking at that Imagineer's earlobe though.

I'm remaining cautiously optimistic, even though I've generally felt these movie rethemes are a huge gamble. Robb pointed out the transformation to Maelstrom that actually turned out pretty well, but then there's other things like Stitch's Great Escape that completely ruined what used to be there. If this falls into Frozen territory, it still has the potential to be awesome. I just really don't want another Stitch scenario that disregards what made the original ride good for the purpose of cashing in on the popular character/franchise of the day.

Hey, maybe they'll be able to explain away the hallways this time around