TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Well, looks like the Guardians of the Galaxy conversion of Tower of Terror has been semi-confirmed.

http://www.screamscape.com/html/disney_california_adventure.htm#Guardians

I might be incredibly biased in my view, but this is the saddest announcement I have seen in the amusement industry in a long time. The original Tower or Terror was one of my most favorite rides of all time, and I just loved every bit of the theming. If this is permanent, I will truly miss looking at every detail of the architecture, and how it fit into the time era of the late nineteen-teens. I also write recreationally, and many aspects of the theming have inspired some of my writing. Additionally, the theme fit the new vibe of DCA quite well. Even if they do an amazing job with this conversion, I will be really sad to see this go in its current state.

And I know that I am not speaking alone as a whiny enthusiast, as my Facebook wall has also been exploding with many of my GP friends complaining about the loss of the current theming.

Thoughts?

If the Florida version is being left alone then I'm totally fine with this retheme. I also imagine that if DCA never had a Tower of Terror in the first place and it was announced that a Guardians of the Galaxy ride was being built in DCA using the ToT ride system then everyone would be ecstatic.

I prefer to have as many different experiences between all the Disney parks of the world so if they want to try and differentiate this version from the more superior Florida ride I'm all for it (although if they wanted to add Shiriki I wouldn't complain too much either).

With the short window of time to complete this I would expect that this will be more of a temporary thing anyway and that the old ToT would be able to return pretty easily.

^I agree. Disneyland has always been more of a locals park so they need to add different overlays and update rides more often. The Florida parks are where people go for their 'trip of a lifetime', and they want the original versions of rides. I don't understand putting a Guardians overlay on Tower, but I'm sure Disney will figure out a way to make it work. I mean, as long as it gets rid of that terrible 'hallway to get on an elevator after elevator doors' I'm good!

That being said, any of the Towers are welcome to convert to a Shiriki overlay anytime they want!

The problem is that it is a huge waste of money to add zero capacity to the park. They have 3 venues that actually need and have space for new attractions/content, and the best they can do with the Marvel characters is to do an overlay on one of the best themed attractions in the entire park. It is just a poor decision.

That being said, any of the Towers are welcome to convert to a Shiriki overlay anytime they want!

Maybe they should do "Shiriki vs Guardians of the Galaxy." Now that would be the fight of the century.

I have mixed feelings about this, but if the plans call for changing that area over to Marvel at some point, it makes sense.

I'm going to Disneyland and California Adventure this Friday for the first time and I'm super excited. Do ya'll have any suggestions on where to start and how to work around the park to see and do as much as possible in one day? I see California Adventure is open 9-9 and Disneyland is open 8-11. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

^^I would be all for the Shriki retheme! Since Disney might lose its Twilight Zone liscence, I would have totally welcomed the Shriki conversion. I am just worried that this retheme would cause the amazing architecture, as well as the atmosphere of this ride. I would like to say that this gives them a chance to make a ride with more details and better effects, but I do not even completely trust Disney on this anymore after the Test Track conversion.

I really hope that the other ones either to untouched or get a retheme that allows them to maintain their current atmosphere (like Shriki). Again, I am biased because this is my absolute favorite ride at both US resorts. I have also ridden these so many times I can recite the entire preshow and narration for both rides off the top of my head.

I know there had to be some corporate reasoning behind this, but goddammit I am feeling so emotional right now.

Disneyland immediately at opening. Standby for Hyperspace Mountain, immediately loop around and grab a fastpass for later. DO NOT GET A FASTPASS FIRST! The line to get a fastpass will be longer than standby. This line will disappear by the time you ride and walk around again.

Some people will say to jump over to DCA and grab a Radiator Springs Racers fastpass, and that's cool if you want to ride with your group. Otherwise don't make it a priority and just jump on the single rider line. I've never had to wait more than 15 minutes and half the time the lady and I end up riding together anyway.

Maybe they should do "Shiriki vs Guardians of the Galaxy." Now that would be the fight of the century.

No. Just make it Shiriki Vs. Rocket Racoon. The rest of the Guardians need to sit this one out.

I have mixed feelings about this, but if the plans call for changing that area over to Marvel at some point, it makes sense.

The problem is they cant change over to anything that uses the word Marvel in the title, Universal still hold the rights to the name and all characters, Disney can hold meet and greets, and put an overlay over TOT but they cant use the Marvel name. So it will never become a Marvel land as such.

The problem is they cant change over to anything that uses the word Marvel in the title, Universal still hold the rights to the name and all characters, Disney can hold meet and greets, and put an overlay over TOT but they cant use the Marvel name. So it will never become a Marvel land as such.

The plan is to expand the park into the parking lot behind TOT and turn it into Marvel land. At least, that was the rumor.

Is this true?

Can anyone expand on this further?

Not only do I have no clue what this means, but why would the park start renaming Tower of Terror if it's gonna be such a pain in the butt to use Marvel characters without using the Marvel name? IMO Disney doesn't even need Marvel to keep their parks busy, so I don't really get it in the first place. Not only that they're taking away a very valued attraction and not many people seem happy about it.

Is this true?

Not only do I have no clue what this means, but why would the park start renaming Tower of Terror if it's gonna be such a pain in the butt to use Marvel characters without using the Marvel name? IMO Disney doesn't even need Marvel to keep their parks busy, so I don't really get it in the first place. Not only that they're taking away a very valued attraction and not many people seem happy about it.

Unless something has changed recently it actually does not apply to Disneyland. They could build an entire Marvel land if they wanted. Universal holds the theme park rights to most of the Marvel properties but it only applies to parks east of the Mississippi River.

IIRC the Marvel deal only applies to Florida and Japan where Universal currently has Marvel-themed attractions in operation. They had a few Marvel characters walking around in Hollywood but they disappeared not long after Disney bought the company so I think Disney can do whatever they want in California.

I think that would depend on who you ask. The contract is on file with the SEC, so if you want to be an internet lawyer feel free to find it and try to dissect it. There are some articles out there that have attempted to do just that.

From what you can easily google, it appears that there is still a restriction an entire "marvel universe" being built west of the Mississippi river and the name "marvel" can't be used to promote (hence why so far everything has been branded as "super hero.") anything on the west coast as well. So Ross appears to be correct.

Edited by Jew

Is this true?

Unless something has changed recently it actually does not apply to Disneyland. They could build an entire Marvel land if they wanted. Universal holds the theme park rights to most of the Marvel properties but it only applies to parks east of the Mississippi River.

Im trying to find the story that was posted a couple of days about this, Disney cant use the name Marvel in any theme park in the USA, thats why it was called Super Heroes HQ and not Marvel HQ, why the contract states about the use east of the Mississippi it also includes restrictions west of the Mississippi as well. But outside of the states is a whole new story.

I think that would depend on who you ask. The contract is on file with the SEC, so if you want to be an internet lawyer feel free to find it and try to dissect it. There are some articles out there that have attempted to do just that.

From what you can easily google, it appears that there is still a restriction an entire "marvel universe" being built west of the Mississippi river and the name "marvel" can't be used to promote (hence why so far everything has been branded as "super hero.") anything on the west coast as well. So Ross appears to be correct.

From what I can gather, it has a lot to do with what falls under the Marvel super hero family, so anything to do with the Avengers is out and all characters who appear, Spiderman, Iron Man, Hulk, Captain America, Hawk Eye etc.

Guardians Of The Galaxy characters at this stage are fine, but it will never be branded a marvel ride.