TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I have wondered myself if Star Tours would move, but I don't think it will. I want it to, and I think it'd better suited in the new land, it just seems unlikely.

I actually think Star Tours is better suited in Tomorrowland. The attraction works as a Spaceport here on Earth taking us to the Star Wars universe. If anything, I would love to see a new kind of transport-themed attraction in Star Wars Land that somehow works in conjunction with Star Tours, or a new scene in Star Tours that takes us to the new land.

Only time will tell.

What was wrong with Luigi's Flying Tires? And what is Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters going to look like?

Also on a side note, I think they should just re-theme Tomorrowland to Star Wars. I mean, that section hasn't had a face lift since 1998 or something.

All I care about in tomorrowland is removing the people mover track if they have no intention of re-using it.

Definitely. Either bring back the Peoplemover somehow or get rid of the eyesore that is the old track.

All I care about in tomorrowland is removing the people mover track if they have no intention of re-using it.

Definitely. Either bring back the Peoplemover somehow or get rid of the eyesore that is the old track.

And move Astro Orbiter out of the entrance.

With all of the challenges with OSHA over ADA Compliance and evacuation routes (needing railings throughout the ride and evacuation points frequently along the course) that would be extremely difficult to pull off... There are also sections of track that may no longer be full accessible thanks to Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters being installed in the old Rocket Rods queue building. That also brings to question where guests would even queue if such an attraction were to ever open on those tracks.

It'd be easier (and cleaner) to remove the track altogether and open up the breezeway like it is in Walt Disney World's and Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland. The area often has trouble with managing crowds thanks to the pinch point the Astro Orbiter creates by blocking off much of the mouth of the land's main entryway. Removing the track could alleviate some of that stress.

It'd be easier (and cleaner) to remove the track altogether and open up the breezeway like it is in Walt Disney World's and Tokyo Disneyland's Tomorrowland. The area often has trouble with managing crowds thanks to the pinch point the Astro Orbiter creates by blocking off much of the mouth of the land's main entryway. Removing the track could alleviate some of that stress.

The two biggest issues that I see inhibiting flow through are the Astro Orbitor and all the stroller parking that's setup along the Peoplemover track in front of Star Tours and Buzz. Stroller parking isn't really something we think too much about but it does take up huge amounts of space where space is at a premium. Moving the Astro Orbitor back to its original location could solve both problems, thereby freeing up an incredible amount of space in Tomorrowland's western half.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

And move Astro Orbiter out of the entrance.

This too.

What was wrong with Luigi's Flying Tires? And what is Luigi's Rollickin' Roadsters going to look like?

Also on a side note, I think they should just re-theme Tomorrowland to Star Wars. I mean, that section hasn't had a face lift since 1998 or something.

This is what the new ride will be.

As far as what was wrong with Flying Tires, it never preformed as well as it did when they tested at WDI. It was slow, and boring (to most guests)and had a low hourly capacity.

At Disneyland today! Hoping to document any post "D-Day" changes to the park so far (if any). This is my first post in a while after a lot of lurking, so I hope I'm doing alright so far. Trip report to follow!

("D-Day": January 10th, the day Disneyland closed 10-25% of their attractions temporarily or permanently for at least a year to make way for Star Wars land)

image.thumb.jpeg.e93cc7632c68b48ee2c2f714976b766d.jpeg

Front entrance still sporting it's 60th anniversary sign.

I think the best plan for Tommorowland would have been to destroy the entire Peoplemover/Rocketrods midway track eyesore, eliminate the OSHA and ADA compliance bologna, and install an Intamin magnetic launch type of attraction. The problem is they're not focusing on Tommorowland at all with the SWL induction anymore, so Tommorowland is just going to be the crowded disaster it is, and will have to wait, until the SWL is all said and done.

With rides like Cheetah Hunt, I really think they had an opportunity to install a rather affordable, Tommorowland attraction with a high capacity magnetic controlled Intamin family friendly coaster, that could have easily followed the old Rocket Rods layout with a Tommorowland/Disney vibe. At $50 Mill, it could have been a cost friendly people eater, that was efficient and fun for the family.

I always wondered why they didn't just turn it into the worlds most expensive scenery and have futuristic robots or cars laid over parts of the old track in public view and pretend it's a futuristic expressway. Install a fake gas station sign and pumps over the main bit like a futuristic Hill Valley.

I think the best plan for Tommorowland would have been to destroy the entire Peoplemover/Rocketrods midway track eyesore, eliminate the OSHA and ADA compliance bologna, and install an Intamin magnetic launch type of attraction. The problem is they're not focusing on Tommorowland at all with the SWL induction anymore, so Tommorowland is just going to be the crowded disaster it is, and will have to wait, until the SWL is all said and done.

With rides like Cheetah Hunt, I really think they had an opportunity to install a rather affordable, Tommorowland attraction with a high capacity magnetic controlled Intamin family friendly coaster, that could have easily followed the old Rocket Rods layout with a Tommorowland/Disney vibe. At $50 Mill, it could have been a cost friendly people eater, that was efficient and fun for the family.

They already have a Intamin Magnetic Launch type of attraction a short walk away from Tomorrowland. Like, the original "Cheetah Hunt" style family thriller. I hope to god Disney has more ideas than that.

^ The fanboys would riots throughout the streets of Orange County if Disneyland ever even considered changing one of Walt's original lands.

Yeah, but Walt did day that Disneyland would never be finished. I think he wouldn't mind if they re-themed it.

I'm glad the rumor of Toon Town being taken out for star Wars was a bunch of hooey. I asked numerous employees when I went, and they said it's not happening. If anything, Toon Town needed some attention to detail when I saw it. It looked run-down.

I remember riding the saucers back in 1963, and their way of loading and unloading was really easy,

due to a center long rectangular piece that slid over the entire grid, and 'parked' one set of saucers,

while opening up the area behind it for the newly loaded set. For all the maintenance issues Disney

had with this throughout it's existence, it was a very cool way to work out dispatch times, etc.

It seems to me, that this original dispatch method was better than Luigi's, from what I remember.

Of course the saucers in 1963 were a LOT smaller than the Luigi ones...

DLMap1962.JPG.fb5359c3491d97501555537099642646.JPG

My 1962 (I went in '63) Disneyland map, with the Flying Saucers where Space Mountain sits, now.