TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I don't mind them shortening the river and I think there are many valid points made with the wasted space up at that end PLUS it looks like it'll be really nice when done. I think it's great that they're keeping the Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island, and all that instead of filling it in.

My argument would be against making a whole new "land" out of a movie or movie franchise at Disneyland or the Magic Kingdom in FL. It makes more sense at DCA or DHS but it seems like a mistake at parks where the themes are more generic like Adventureland, Fantastyland, Tomorrowland, etc. It's like adding Wizard of Oz Land to the mix. It just doesn't quite fit.

SWL will likely be spectacular but it just doesn't feel like it belongs there.

Micechat had a good map showing the changes.

Micechat

Just to be clear...

If you’re curious how this concept art might make more sense, our interactive map of the River and Railroad’s re-routing as they’ve been rumored is below.

Please note maps are approximate, based on what we’ve heard from sources. They’re to help illustrate the rumored future, they aren’t the blueprint of the plans.

This particular site has a well-earned reputation for presenting rumored information as though it were fact, just as they're doing here, and then being completely wrong. At least this time they were diligent enough to admit it.

Take this one with a grain of salt. In fact, probably best to have the entire salt shaker nearby. Their illustration of the re-routed DLRR in particular comes off to me as highly unlikely.

I haven't really heard a lot about this but does anyone know how long this project is going to take? I really like it but it feels weird closing several rides for that long.

Cars Land took three years, being built in a parking lot. This land has to move a river, and a train, greenery, backstage buildings, and utilities that supported those buildings. And THEN gets to start buildings. I'm sure they don't want to drag their feet, but there really is no easy way to tell. We'll just have to wait till they announce.

Just visited Disneyland Resort over the weekend for the first time both to experience the original rivers of America and to see the diamond celebration/seasonal overlays in full force.

I can't say I would miss any part of the river remodel. I really enjoyed the sailing ship Columbia but if the ride was 2-3 minutes shorter I think that would increase my enjoyment and re-ride potential of it. Same with the Train, as that ride is best for transportation to more interesting things and the section being changed was the most bland of any on it. Aladdin and its fabulous genie being swapped out for a Third frozen stage show can go straight to Helheim, however.

Amazing park though! Disneyland is more interesting than Magic Kingdom and having a park/off site hotels/downtown Disney in walking distance was a huge positive compared to the chore of getting around Disney world (parking, busses, trams, etc). And the surprise hit of the whole trip was Hyperspace Mountain. Had to be my favorite ride there overall, you literally are in an x wing /tie fighter battle. Crowd management was also fine even with the parks being busy, though the bigger walkways of WDW are appreciated.

So explain to me why the fanboys were bitching again?

Obviously the park will be ruined!

Based on that artwork the new "bend" will be much more than just a bunch of trees. The riverboat ride is a bit long anyway, and that corner of the park needs an update so it's great that it'll get one courtesy of Star Wars land.

having a park/off site hotels/downtown Disney in walking distance was a huge positive compared to the chore of getting around Disney world

Eh, I much, MUCH prefer the vast "resort" experience of Disney World versus how cramped and crammed into a few blocks of land everything is in Anaheim. We were walking around Port Orleans the other night and were talking about how just that ONE resort hotel at Walt Disney World is probably bigger than all of the land that Disneyland sits on.

Yes, in a way it's nice being able to walk back your hotel, but there is just something about the complete MASSIVE size of Walt Disney World that you just cannot compare. I agree that the bus system is not amazing, but I have to be honest, I sort of like the fact the the monorail is one of my regular modes of transportation as an Orlando local!

having a park/off site hotels/downtown Disney in walking distance was a huge positive compared to the chore of getting around Disney world

Eh, I much, MUCH prefer the vast "resort" experience of Disney World versus how cramped and crammed into a few blocks of land everything is in Anaheim. We were walking around Port Orleans the other night and were talking about how just that ONE resort hotel at Walt Disney World is probably bigger than all of the land that Disneyland sits on.

Yes, in a way it's nice being able to walk back your hotel, but there is just something about the complete MASSIVE size of Walt Disney World that you just cannot compare. I agree that the bus system is not amazing, but I have to be honest, I sort of like the fact the the monorail is one of my regular modes of transportation as an Orlando local!

I wholeheartedly agree with everything you've said, ESPECIALLY about the bus system. It's extremely unorganized.

The bus system is awful. But the trade off is you truly feel like you are at a resort when you stay on WDW property. You can do just about anything and not have to worry about the outside world so to speak.

For convenience, having the two parks and all the on and off site hotels in walking distance is nice---but then you also have the realization you are in Anaheim. I like that WDW is so massive and away from the rest of Orlando.

I've used the bus system at WDW a number of times in the past and never had a big issue with it. The only real "glitch" I ever experienced was trying to get the to Studios park from Downtown Disney (now that was a pain). That being said, I had a rental car the last time I stayed there, and it was easier than using the buses. It depends on how much you want to pay.

I do like it how you can more easily park hop by just walking across the "esplanade" (or whatever they call it) between DL and DCA; however, I do think that WDW works much better as a "resort" destination.

I've been wondering if WDW will ever start to incorporate the Magic Bands into the bus transportation system. They know where you are, they could know how many people are at each bus stop and how long they've been there, and they kind of know where you are going based on fastpass reservations. Seems like the technology could have the ability to improve that particular aspect of operation a little bit, but who knows

I haven't really heard a lot about this but does anyone know how long this project is going to take? I really like it but it feels weird closing several rides for that long.

Cars Land took three years, being built in a parking lot. This land has to move a river, and a train, greenery, backstage buildings, and utilities that supported those buildings. And THEN gets to start buildings. I'm sure they don't want to drag their feet, but there really is no easy way to tell. We'll just have to wait till they announce.

It has amazed me recently how fast Universal has managed to get attractions off the ground, they built London in what 18 months? I'm sure Disney could deliver their attractions quicker if they wanted to but what's the rush I guess.

Any updates on when Luigi's is reopening? I've heard they started testing.

There are videos of the ride testing online that you can find. And the parks blog posted a weird recap saying the ride was to open on January 19th, but never posted an actual story. And the link has since been removed.

It has amazed me recently how fast Universal has managed to get attractions off the ground, they built London in what 18 months? I'm sure Disney could deliver their attractions quicker if they wanted to but what's the rush I guess.

I think that comes down to necessity. Universal is still being aggressive in growing the parks to try and gain another day of a person's vacation. Disney can go at a slower pace because the business is already established and basically in cruise control---no need to throw extra money at a project to rush it.

I think that comes down to necessity. Universal is still being aggressive in growing the parks to try and gain another day of a person's vacation. Disney can go at a slower pace because the business is already established and basically in cruise control---no need to throw extra money at a project to rush it.

Yeah I totally get that, but I wonder with this project if they'll try to expedite some of the construction to minimize downtime for the attractions that have to close to facilitate it. New Fantasyland, Avatar and Carsland were kind of built "outside" the park so none of the existing attractions were effected but since the size and scope of Star Wars is causing some temporary attraction closures I wonder if they'll try to manage this project any differently.

Then again it's just the riverboat, sailing ship, train, and Fantasmic so maybe it's not really that big of a deal.

Then again it's just the riverboat, sailing ship, train, and Fantasmic so maybe it's not really that big of a deal.

Columbia only operated on peak days. Only one of my visits saw it running. Every other time I've visited it's been parked against the dock by Splash Mountain. Same for Fantasmic. The show is great but it was only performed on peak nights. It won't be a huge difference in operations for those two attractions to disappear.

The Riverboat (not Columbia) and the train, however, will have an impact on crowds. Both attractions were huge people-eaters. While they weren't the most popular rides they certainly had their role to play. I'm afraid to think about standby lines without them.

Edited by KBrylczyk

I think the train is the biggest temporary loss of the bunch, because it's such a useful way to get around the park if you're tired of walking.

Jacob completely agrees with this! I do agree as well. It's worth it sometimes to wait for a few trains than to have to hike the entire length of the park.

I think the train is the biggest temporary loss of the bunch, because it's such a useful way to get around the park if you're tired of walking.

They could have done what WDW did when they had to retrack their train for Splash Mountain's construction, and had the trains shuttle back and forth between a few stations to avoid the construction areas. Then again, going through the dioramas backward probably wouldn't have worked out.

Columbia only operated on peak days. Only one of my visits saw it running. Every other time I've visited it's been parked against the dock by Splash Mountain. Same for Fantasmic. The show is great but it was only performed on peak nights. It won't be a huge difference in operations for those two attractions to disappear.

Columbia and the train, however, will have an impact on crowds. Both attractions were huge people-eaters. While they weren't the most popular rides they certainly had their role to play. I'm afraid to think about standby lines without them.

I don't think losing the train or Columbia will be a huge deal...they are people eaters if they were entirely full throughout the day, but I have rarely seen an entirely packed train or boat.

Losing Fantasmic will make main street a terrible place to be at night now that all the night time activities will be in that area...

Columbia and the train, however, will have an impact on crowds. Both attractions were huge people-eaters. While they weren't the most popular rides they certainly had their role to play. I'm afraid to think about standby lines without them.

I don't think losing the train or Columbia will be a huge deal...they are people eaters if they were entirely full throughout the day, but I have rarely seen an entirely packed train or boat.

Losing Fantasmic will make main street a terrible place to be at night now that all the night time activities will be in that area...

The trains are quite popular actually as it's an attraction the whole family can ride and the line is usually short but I do agree that the trains are only about 70% full at most times. Losing Fantasmic is a bigger deal to me. The resort offers so much else to do that closing these attractions for a much needed expansion is not an issue worth b*tching about in my eyes. There are fanboys up in arms about losing the Columbia for a year, though. I mean really?!?