TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^^You know me, I'm a huge Disney fan! But I don't get it either. The river and train are benefiting from all this! The only real impact is the river is shorter....ok, fine, your boat ride you pretend to ride every time you go to the park is now shorter.. I'm sure they will slow the boats down to make the ride a bit longer again, lol.

But this is so beautiful! I think most people's issues (of which I do not agree) is that Star Wars land doesn't "belong" inside Disneyland. Cause there balance and this and that and blah blah blah. I see where they are coming from, but I simply dont thing this is the end of the world. It's all good, and going to look wonderful; so if people don't like Star Wars Land, then they can completely avoid it.

I love what Disney has planned not only for the original Magic Kingdom, but also Disney Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom. The Rivers of America has needed refreshing for sometime, and the concept art looks great.

Edited by cfc

The way perspective and theming is done in Disney's parks, I'm sure the rock work that's 'behind' the train in the artwork will easily hide Star Wars Land from riders on the train. And the 'bridge' in the upper right corner could very well be one of the (two?) entrance/exits into SWL. Maybe a tunnel of rock work which will open up into the Land.

They'll figure the sight lines out, with what they have there. For myself, I think it's going to be more of a challenge to them putting SWL in the Hollywood Studios at WDW. And make it work with everything else around it.

EDIT to add: And don't forget the 3-per of "Lands" one after the other in Hong Kong Disneyland. The public there seems to be fine breezing through from one to the other. And outside the train berm too. Like SWL will be.

ConceptualExpansionMap.jpg.37c8e447d1b988da58e9876c7db49c97.jpg

Placing "Lands" side by side hasn't hurt HKDL too much.

Looks awesome to me. I'm glad to see that the original Disneyland is getting a major upgrade after all these years of minimal upgrades. I'm also glad they are finally going to make good use of Big Thunder Ranch which was wasted real estate in my opinion for years.

I really don't feel like the loss of the closed-off section of Tom Sawyer Island and some extra length on the Rivers of America (including the length of time now that each ride will last on the Mark Twain, the Columbia Sailing Ship and the Davy Crockett Canoes) is anything of substance when compared to the significant project that the Star Wars-themed land will be for Disneyland Park when complete. I fully expect that most of the people complaining will praise the new land and everything within and say it was worth it when all is said and done... It is these same people that mourned the loss of the waterfalls at the Disneyland Hotel and now obsess over Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar.

Thinking of it in another light, if this project ended up exclusively at Disney's Hollywood Studios, the Disneylanders would complain that the West Coast resort deserved some love too. You can't please everyone, but you can aim to please the general public, and the general public will pay, buy, stay and repeat significantly more for Star Wars than they ever would for the Rivers of America as they were before this project.

My only thought for the land itself is that its 14 acres, but with only two rides? Cars land is 12 acres to compare and has 3 rides, and one of those rides is a massive tracked ride. So, they either haven't announced all the rides (unlikely) or they have a lot of room to expand or unused areas.

I know there will be shops, restaurants, snack locations, and all the other stuff that every other land has. It just seems there's quote a large amount unaccounted for. So, I am eager to get more details as the project progresses. And I can hope for additional rides/attractions that haven't been announced yet.

^^It would be pretty smart to do it in phases. Instead of one huge fully built out expansion, open a huge expansion to drive up attendance, and keep adding something every few years to keep the drive in place. Also, if it doesn't turn out as well as they thought, they can use that money elsewhere.

Edited by jray21

My only thought for the land itself is that its 14 acres, but with only two rides? Cars land is 12 acres to compare and has 3 rides, and one of those rides is a massive tracked ride. So, they either haven't announced all the rides (unlikely) or they have a lot of room to expand or unused areas.

I know there will be shops, restaurants, snack locations, and all the other stuff that every other land has. It just seems there's quote a large amount unaccounted for. So, I am eager to get more details as the project progresses. And I can hope for additional rides/attractions that haven't been announced yet.

If the rides are both high capacity E-tickets (that perhaps need giant show buildings?), they will easily match or exceed Carsland capacity and potentially explain the acreage.

Edited by Jew

So explain to me why the fanboys were bitching again?

Exactly! I can't help but laugh at all the, "I won't support the parks changing what Walt did." Well first of all, the Railroad was altered back in the day, so it's not Walt's original design. Big Thunder Ranch was added 12 years after Walt's death. Do they really think people will pay big money on a family vacation to visit a dated park that was opened in the freakin 50's?!

It looks to me like they're going to use some of the old Rainbow Ridge area. I bet the fan boys and girls will back peddle on their negative reactions if that ends up to be true.

Nearly every day I would find some media source somewhere that talked up the closures being made for Star Wars Land's construction to make it sound as though half the park was being shut down forever just for Star Wars. "Disneyland to close 15 attractions to make room for Star Wars!!' or whatever silly sensationalized headline they wanted to throw up there. In reality all that's being "lost" is a tiny corner of the park that a very small minority of guests ever set foot in, and a part of Tom Sawyer Island that hasn't been opened to guests in several years. That's IT! What's being built in their place, and in the greatly expanded area, will no doubt be incredible and a much, MUCH better use of space than a petting zoo and an arena for a show that hasn't been run in 18 years.

Any fanboy who would whine and cry about this would be just as bad if not worse than the nutty "Save Colossus" crowd. The railroad will come back. The boats will come back. The canoes will come back. Relax. That area of Disneyland is going to be so much better once this is all done. Just wait and see.

Edited by PeoplemoverMatt

Any fanboy who would whine and cry about this would be just as bad if not worse than the nutty "Save Colossus" crowd. The railroad will come back. The boats will come back. The canoes will come back. Relax. That area of Disneyland is going to be so much better once this is all done. Just wait and see.

Just tell them they are not coming back but it's OK, Prince Desmond can make room for them in his planned park next to the Big Dipper and watch their heads explode.

Nearly every day I would find some media source somewhere that talked up the closures being made for Star Wars Land's construction to make them sound as though half the park was being shut down forever just for Star Wars. "Disneyland to close 15 attractions to make room for Star Wars!!' or whatever silly sensationalized headline they wanted to throw up there. In reality all that's being "lost" is a tiny corner of the park that a very small minority of guests ever set foot in, and a part of Tom Sawyer Island that hasn't been opened to guests in several years. That's IT! What's being built in their place, and in the greatly expanded area, will no doubt be incredible and a much, MUCH better use of space than a petting zoo and an arena for a show that hasn't been run in 18 years.

Exactly. All they're "losing" is a BBQ restaurant and a petting zoo, while getting a much nicer waterfront in return (in addition to the Star Wars stuff).

^Interesting. I didn't realize they were losing that much of the river; however, that was pretty much wasted space to begin with. And we'll be getting a much more scenic waterfront area.

Edited by cfc

The artwork is quite stunning. I can only hope that there is a new diorama after Big Thunder before you reach Toon Town station. The backside of the theater probably isn't too amazing. I did do the ceremonial last ride on the train. Man, some serious dead space between Splash Mountain and Toon Town. With the new route, at least the train passes through something scenic. What would I do without my view of barely moving animal puppets and non-descript brown fencing? This is a huge improvement.

Here's my idea: build a clone of Star Tours in the new area then retheme the original Star Tours to the Iron Man Experience or something else. It just would make sense to have all the Star Wars attractions in one area like DHS will have.