TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Keep in mind that this is not an RFID system that was seen in the video. Its simply a bar code scanner on a pole. But I am excited to see testing in Disneyland! But I'd guess this is more for a guest flow test and not an actual FP+ test, based on that this is a bar code reader and not RFID.

Well, that sure was entertaining, the bashing challenge that was accepted.

In my opinion it comes down to this: Disney is not a nonprofit organisation. They can do whatever they want. Low priced AP, or AP at all, are not someones right... the fact that they excist is already a good thing. As pointed out, the lower tier almost gives you free access, you only pay for the parking. If you can afford the AP, be happy that you can. If you can't? Well, as Britney would say 'Work it b*tch.' Workd your asses off so someday you can afford it. If you are bitching about the ticket fees etc. just do not go, please spend your money on something else. Oh, and find another hobby, thanks.

And if Disney decides that they do have a problem with regarding too many AP holders, well, it is not up to us to judge how they take care of it.

PS Here in Paris an AP, the best one, is only $230 or so. That is just lucky for us.

Keep in mind that this is not an RFID system that was seen in the video. Its simply a bar code scanner on a pole. But I am excited to see testing in Disneyland! But I'd guess this is more for a guest flow test and not an actual FP+ test, based on that this is a bar code reader and not RFID.

Do we know will the final version be RFID? I just ask because the initial tests even at WDW used the RFID system from the very beginning. Seems weird that they would spend the time and money to have written new software for a lower-tech version of the system for a "test" when we know they have those little RFID stickers they could just slap onto all the FastPass tickets if they were just going to test guest flow.

Should be very interesting to see how this progresses...

Edited by robbalvey

It may just be another way to enforce crowd control. Remember they've always been tweaking the FastPass system to make people honor their return-time slots. In the beginning you could waltz up at any time after the return time indicated. They changed it to a two-hour(?) window and had cast members enforce it. The window was made shorter again as I believe it is now only 15 minutes.

The barcode system would eliminate any arguments from guests to CMs. If it's green, go ahead. If it's red, too bad, you missed your window.

The barcode system would eliminate any arguments from guests to CMs. If it's green, go ahead. If it's red, too bad, you missed your window.

That's exactly what FP+ already does. That's why I was curious why they developed a bar-code system instead of going with the already existing RFID test system that they used at WDW. The question wasn't about the functionality of what this is, the question was the medium they will use on the end product. I'm VERY curious as to why they would spend the money and development time to create a bar code reader if the end result will be RFID. And if the end result won't be RFID, that seems a little disappointing to me.

With all the money they've spent on FP+ already, why would they spend more money developing a lower tech version that has less potential? I mean, it's pretty damn cool to go ride Space Mountain and without having to do ANYTHING at all, your photos just automatically appear in your app under PhotoPass.IMG_7964.thumb.JPG.d694732c89b06d23a0a5e461e29ec0c9.JPGI really, REALLY hope this was just some cheap mock-up they did and didn't spend a lot of money developing it and the end result will be a super cool RFID system that can do more things that just serve as a replacement for paper FastPass tickets.

Edited by robbalvey

I really, REALLY hope this was just some cheap mock-up they did and didn't spend a lot of money developing it and the end result will be a super cool RFID system that can do more things that just serve as a replacement for paper FastPass tickets.

I hope not! It really makes me wonder if their whole stance of, "FP+ not coming to the Disneyland Resort anytime soon" is sticking, and they're going with a less CM interactive FP system. Honestly, its dumb. The RFID system has proven itself at the Disney World Resort, why not integrate it here in California where they know they are having crowd control issues. I would use the heck out of FP+ if it were available here.

I like the idea of this new system, but it all comes down to the cast member.

I've seen many park patrons show up with their fast passes that weren't valid for another hour etc... and either the cast member says you have to wait, or they are ((non-confrontational)) and let them pass regardless of their stated time.

I wish the video showed a person who scanned their ticket and was denied.....and seen the cast members reaction.

But regardless, this is a step in the right direction!

I'm not even sure they actually spent any real money on this. They could have use a modified POS system to read the codes. And the readers were on a pole, wrapped in a dryer vent tube with the computer apparently sitting on a trash can. I don't think they spent anything on this test and I do not think its an indication of where FP+ is headed.

**UPDATE**

Below is an OC Register article about the test.

www.ocregister.com

FP.thumb.jpg.61fc23f32aebd4bdea7d0beae41741bc.jpg

Red means no go for this Fastpass to get onto Space Mountain at Disneyland. The bar code reader checks to see if a Fastpass is valid for the time. The reader is similar to the ones used in the Magic Band program at Walt Disney World. Disney officials said they were testing the system to see if they were efficient.

MARK EADES, STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER

ANAHEIM – Two Fastpass bar-code readers temporarily stationed at the entrance of Space Mountain are not a precursor to the much-discussed Magic Bands, a Disney official said on Tuesday.

Disneyland spokeswoman Betsy Sanchez said the bar-code readers are being tested for the next few days to measure their efficiency, only at Space Mountain. She said they routinely test things at the park.

The readers appeared on Monday and look similar to those at Walt Disney World. That similarity lead many Disney fans and blog sites to speculate that this could be a test run for Magic Bands.

The MyMagic+ and Magic Band technology is currently only available at Walt Disney World and Magic Bands on the Disney Cruise Line as part of the children’s programming. MyMagic+ allows visitors to customize theme park experiences via a small wristband with a radio-frequency identification chip.

With a single tap of the wrist using a Magic Band, MyMagic+ can serve as that guest’s theme park ticket, Fastpass for rides, pay for food and merchandise, and work as a key to enter hotel rooms. Visitors can align it with a phone application.

At Disneyland, visitors with Fastpasses were being asked to scan them before entering the attraction. Usually, a cast member stops to look at visitors’ Fastpass tickets and time stamps before letting them proceed.

The Fastpass system is a free in-park perk that provides visitors with times to come back to some popular attractions and wait in shorter lines.

If this is indeed a test for MyMagic+, it wouldn’t come as a total surprise.

Tom Staggs, the Walt Disney Co.’s chief operating officer, told the Orlando Sentinel last year that the technology would be coming to Disneyland and other Disney theme parks. Staggs, though, did not set a timetable and added that it would not replicate the version at Walt Disney World.

The system was fully implemented in early 2014 at Walt Disney World with some estimating the development of it at around $800 million to $1 billion, the New York Times said.

Contact the writer: 714-704-3764 or jpimentel@ocregister.com or follow on Twitter @OCDisney

**UPDATE AGAIN!**

Today, they are testing RFID Paper Fastpasses. There is no barcode to scan.

FP.thumb.jpg.464ef0fc3cbbb5c38806dcce5d521220.jpg

Twitter

So, Disney is quoted as saying:

Two Fastpass bar-code readers temporarily stationed at the entrance of Space Mountain are not a precursor to the much-discussed Magic Bands, a Disney official said on Tuesday.

Yet the next day, RFID Scanners show up. Technically, what was said yesterday isn't untrue, the BARCODE readers aren't. But I'd have to say the RFID ARE....

Also, based on the lack of ticket info that is normally accompanied by the barcode, I'm guessing they are handing these out and not using the normal FastPass machines.

Hey y'all. I'm going to Disneyland/California Adventures for Christmas this year, and I wanted to know what it's like. I've heard things... I just wanted to know if there's anything (good or bad) that I should be prepared for.

Hey y'all. I'm going to Disneyland/California Adventures for Christmas this year, and I wanted to know what it's like. I've heard things... I just wanted to know if there's anything (good or bad) that I should be prepared for.

I was at the parks on Christmas day last year and it was a nightmare. Disneyland hit capacity shortly after noon and started turning away guests. I definitely would avoid going on this day.

I also like DJeXeL's photo of the ((packed)) park, I've been there on those crazy days......But what interested me most about that photo is that the 'crowd' is looking towards Main Street and NOT the castle??? Forget the holidays, what the heck was going on that day?!