TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

The Haunted Mansion Nightmare overlay is great. I haven't seen the "original" Mansion in years, because my last few visits to DL have been between September and December.

As for Aladdin leaving, the show wasn't bad, but it had pretty long run.

I have no problem with the park adding a Frozen show. Not just because I am personally a fan of the property, but because it makes sense for their audience. I don't care how many "Frozen haters" there are, all you have to do is look at how many girls STILL come dressed to the parks each day as Anna & Elsa and see how much the film has resonated with so many people, and it came out two years ago.

To give you an idea, I have put up 25 videos on our YouTube channel in the last month. A Frozen video is the 4th highest viewed in that time. A Frozen video is also our 2nd most highest viewed video on our channel out of over 1,500 theme park videos.

Speaking of adding Frozen to things, I was always curious why Mickey's Philharmagic at the other parks never got any additions or upgrades as new films came out. Is it just a case of if it isn't broke, don't fix it? It still looks fantastic but looking at how great the animations is on some of the newest films like Tangled and Frozen, I'd always thought that ride would rotate out segments. It always seemed like an easy way to keep that ride fresh. Maybe I just really want to see Disney do a 4d segment for let it go.

I have no problem with the park adding a Frozen show. Not just because I am personally a fan of the property, but because it makes sense for their audience. I don't care how many "Frozen haters" there are, all you have to do is look at how many girls STILL come dressed to the parks each day as Anna & Elsa and see how much the film has resonated with so many people, and it came out two years ago.

To give you an idea, I have put up 25 videos on our YouTube channel in the last month. A Frozen video is the 4th highest viewed in that time. A Frozen video is also our 2nd most highest viewed video on our channel out of over 1,500 theme park videos.

If I put up an Aladdin themed video and a Frozen themed video tomorrow, I can place bets on which one would do significantly better. And it's smart that the parks are going for what is a "draw" at the moment. I highly doubt there is a single kid saying to his parents "Hey, we need to make a visit to Disneyland to see that Aladdin show", but I guarantee kids will ask to go see the new one, and park tickets will be sold specifically based on that show. And don't get me wrong, I'm also personally a fan of Aladdin and as someone who worked at the company at the time that movie came out and has ties to the actual production of the film, I'm sad to see it go, but I also fully welcome Anna & Elsa to the stage.

I get that some people are sick of it and hate it. But you're also not the target market for this.

This is exactly it. 10000% agree.

Weighing in on Frozen replacing Aladdin -

Aladdin is probably my favorite Disney movie. Frozen is also one of my favorites. Aladdin had been in that theater for-friggin-ever and I'm happy it's being replaced. Now, we could argue for hours and hours about the pros and cons between a classic property bringing in the older clientele vs the new property bringing in the younger clientele and so on and so forth, but let's all take a moment, step back, and focus on the REAL reason Aladdin is being removed -

They just want to utterly murder, destroy, tear to pieces, and finally set on fire that god-forsaken Magic Carpet flying effect.

After seeing the lighting, projection and snowfall effects they put on for the Sing-a-long in the Muppets theatre, I'll be interested to see what in-theatre effects are cooked up for this musical. You don't need to be the target demographic to appreciate that kind of thing.

As for the ones complaining about Frozen...as we say, some people really need to just let it go.

If I put up an Aladdin themed video and a Frozen themed video tomorrow, I can place bets on which one would do significantly better. And it's smart that the parks are going for what is a "draw" at the moment. I highly doubt there is a single kid saying to his parents "Hey, we need to make a visit to Disneyland to see that Aladdin show", but I guarantee kids will ask to go see the new one, and park tickets will be sold specifically based on that show. And don't get me wrong, I'm also personally a fan of Aladdin and as someone who worked at the company at the time that movie came out and has ties to the actual production of the film, I'm sad to see it go, but I also fully welcome Anna & Elsa to the stage.

I get that some people are sick of it and hate it. But you're also not the target market for this.

Very well said. My girls, ages 3 and 7, have seen your Frozen video several times in rapt attention. They're eager for anything Frozen they can get right now. I've heard my son (5) sing "Let it go" occasionally too, and I'll admit I really like the chanting song in the beginning of the movie. So Disney's partially "pushing" the movie, yes--if you have a product you know can sell, you get it out there--but they're also responding to the demand too. I wouldn't be surprised to see a sequel within the next few years.

Today's new is tomorrow's classics. In 2025, everyone will be complaining when they remove Frozen for the next big thing. I personally see it as progress. And like someone else said, Aladdin has had more then enough time in that theater. I'm looking forward to seeing something new.

After seeing the lighting, projection and snowfall effects they put on for the Sing-a-long in the Muppets theatre, I'll be interested to see what in-theatre effects are cooked up for this musical. You don't need to be the target demographic to appreciate that kind of thing.

As for the ones complaining about Frozen...as we say, some people really need to just let it go.

Frozen's overrated. They should open up a ride based off of the best Disney movie, the Black Hole

You and I would probably make a special trip to ride this--and that's about it. Great special effects, lousy script.

Disney Parks Blog posted an update about the upcoming closures / openings for Season of the Force.

From the Disney Parks Blog:

Opening at Disneyland park on November 16 will be:

Star Wars Launch Bay – This new area will offer opportunities to visit with favorite Star Wars characters, special exhibits, peeks at the upcoming Star Wars: The Force Awakens and much more.

Star Tours – The Adventures Continue – This popular attraction will feature a new scene inspired by the upcoming film, Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple – Coming in December, a twist on the Jedi Training experience will introduce new characters and a new villain from the popular Disney XD series, Star Wars Rebels.

Hyperspace Mountain – For a limited time, guests will join an X-wing starfighter battle in this reimagining of the classic Space Mountain attraction.

Other limited-time experiences include:

An opportunity to revisit favorite scenes from classic Star Wars films at Tomorrowland Theater.

Special themed food and beverage, merchandise and entertainment.

Work to make room for this new land at Disneyland park in California will require the Rivers of America and the Disneyland Railroad to close temporarily. The following will suspend operations at the end of the operating day on January 10:

The Disneyland Railroad, including all stations

Attractions along the Rivers of America, including:

“Fantasmic!”

Mark Twain Riverboat and Sailing Ship Columbia

Pirate’s Lair on Tom Sawyer Island

Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes

We look forward to all of these attractions reopening in the future.

Elsewhere in Frontierland, Big Thunder Ranch – including Big Thunder Ranch Barbecue, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Farm and Big Thunder Ranch Jamboree – will close permanently at the end of the operating day on January 10.

SLB915900-615.jpg.243efb5c247bdfff103e07da742ba828.jpg

Wow! That shuts down every attraction in Frontierland except for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Closing the train makes sense, as they'll be doing a lot of heavy work along the tracks. It'll be interesting to have the Disneyland Railroad rumbling past the Star Wars stuff.

^The new Star Wars section is going between Frontierland and Fantasyland, taking up the space occupied by the Big Thunder BBQ and some backstage areas, which are reportedly going to be moved. It's not surprising that the train would be shutdown, at least for a while, as there's going to be a lot of heavy work around the tracks.

How long is 'temporary'? That's insane that they're essentially closing Frontierland in its entirety!

They basically did the same thing when Fantasmc! was being installed. I want to say everything in that area was closed for at least 8-10 months. The entire Bear Country area was also closed during most of the construction of Splash Mountain. While at the time that was only one attraction and two food locations, still, you couldn't even get past Haunted Mansion at the time. And does anyone remember when most of Fantastyland was closed down for almost a year in the 80s when they did that re-do?

Basically what I'm saying is that longer-term closures to build new rides/areas are not uncommon at the park. Remember, it's a REALLY SMALL park so construction can sometimes take up a lot of room.

I'm sure it will be worth the wait...

TAnd does anyone remember when most of Fantastyland was closed down for almost a year in the 80s when they did that re-do?

I remember visiting the park while all that was going on--definitely a huge improvement for Fantasyland, too.

It makes sense they have to do this closure. The dock for the fantastic floats is right next to all the construction. Gives them a chance to drain the river and do full rehabs of everything else as well.

And here I almost expected to see a few pages of Annual Passholders crying in their Cheerios about the announced price hikes. The only beef I have with them is the fact that now the first and second tier AP are both more expensive than the top tier WDW AP, which on its face seems ridiculous, but it's just another example of how living in SoCal is vastly more expensive than Orlando, FL.

The part I don't quite understand is why does a Disneyland price hike even make news? Everybody raises prices from restaurants to sports tickets to theatre and I've never seen any news headlines about that. Yet today's hike was front & center on OC Register's website. Did OC Register run a front & center article about Angels or Ducks tickets going up? Doesn't really make sense other than because overly sensationalized news media.

Headlines about Disney are attention grabbers. In Orange County especially where almost everyone is either employed by them, has a family member employed by them, or are pass holder themselves.