TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

My biggest question is...

What happens to all of this work if the new movies suck?

Well, there's still a massive fan-base that would visit these lands in a heartbeat even after the phantom menace/prequel trilogy so I don't think anything would change.

Pretty much this.

I mean, they're making a freaking Avatar land.... Avatar isn't even on the same level as Star Wars.

You mean like the prequel trilogy? Didn't really seem to do much damage. New Star Tours still happened. Darth Maul's been in the Jedi Academy since that started. The people, characters, lore etc have been a part of Star Wars Weekends without much complaining about how the movies themselves mostly sucked.

People are going to eat this up regardless because Star Wars. If the new movies are good enough and turn out to be award winners and such, that'll just be the icing on the cake for the studio.

^ I think that if they try and stay true to what the first three (4-6?) films did and had, then

the majority of SWfans (including myself) will be happy. But, for the sake of "today,"

then they probably will have to theme references to the new trilogy, good or bad reviews.

I mean, everybody is going to eventually check out every new film, right?

^The new flick couldn't possibly be any worse that episodes 1-3.

Yeah, I mean it would almost be impressive if they actually ended up worse... or even equally as bad. That would take a TON of effort!

Edited by robbalvey

There is also the fact that, what has been announced so far is seemingly not directly connected to the new film(s). Its a new planet, with old and new characters inhabiting it. Id bet what ever planet this is, could possibly get a mention in the new movie(s) but that's it. So, the new Star Wars universe they are filming will have less impact on the land. They share the same characters, but tell different stories. Just like Star Tours.

Yeah, I mean it would almost be impressive if they actually ended up worse... or even equally as bad. That would take a TON of effort!

I'm still waiting on the Star Wars Skinny Edition of the original trilogy (Love that vertical video syndrome video)

As long as fans will accept (as this is meant for a new generation) that it will be in no way A New Hope, The Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi, the Force Awakens will do just fine. Lol who am I kidding people will find a thing to complain about in this one too its not the OT.

Besides I personally don't mind the Prequels, yeah there's a lot wrong with them, but lore wise I can live with them, I mean at least they didn't make continuous issues like other prequels do just to tie into the original. But I'm sure the Force Awakens will be better received then any Prequel.

So I guess the park will have more luck this time if the go on SW 7 trail.

Yes, that would require great intellectual effort--or they could just hire Michael Bay.

You mean like the prequel trilogy? Didn't really seem to do much damage. New Star Tours still happened. Darth Maul's been in the Jedi Academy since that started. The people, characters, lore etc have been a part of Star Wars Weekends without much complaining about how the movies themselves mostly sucked.

I think the biggest piece that people often forget is that Star Wars is a generational franchise. There are the fans that grew up with the original trilogy, those that grew up with the prequels, those that grew up with The Clone Wars and those that will grow up with Star Wars: Rebels, the sequel trilogy and the anthology films. There's obviously going to be significant overlap betweenness fandoms of each part of the saga, but the inclusion and popularity of prequel-era and/or Clone Wars characters in the parks shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. For those whose first taste of Star Wars was the prequels or the Clone Wars, that's what they most strongly connect to, and that's why those characters garner such a strong response when they appear in the parks. The same thinking is clearly being applied to the new Star Wars realm being built in Florida and California--they want it to appeal to the fans of the franchise overall, but most importantly to the next generation of fans; the ones who will draw their strongest connection to the Star Wars: Rebels, the sequel trilogy and the anthology films. It is these guests that will sustain the popularity of the franchise for many years to come.

I think the biggest piece that people often forget is that Star Wars is a generational franchise. There are the fans that grew up with the original trilogy, those that grew up with the prequels, those that grew up with The Clone Wars and those that will grow up with Star Wars: Rebels, the sequel trilogy and the anthology films. There's obviously going to be significant overlap betweenness fandoms of each part of the saga, but the inclusion and popularity of prequel-era and/or Clone Wars characters in the parks shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone. For those whose first taste of Star Wars was the prequels or the Clone Wars, that's what they most strongly connect to, and that's why those characters garner such a strong response when they appear in the parks. The same thinking is clearly being applied to the new Star Wars realm being built in Florida and California--they want it to appeal to the fans of the franchise overall, but most importantly to the next generation of fans; the ones who will draw their strongest connection to the Star Wars: Rebels, the sequel trilogy and the anthology films. It is these guests that will sustain the popularity of the franchise for many years to come.

Exactly! The prequel trilogy IS STAR WARS to many (young) people. The same will happen with these new movies!

Star Wars evolves and continues to capture new audiences. That's why it's an amazing and obvious choice for a theme park!

Not knowing much about Star Wars (seen the originals a couple of times), all I care about is having high quality theme park attractions I can geek out on based on the technology (that's how I feel about Potter).

^I think if the franchise survived The Phantom Menace, it can survive about anything.

You misspelled Attack of the Clones.

Agreed Jar Jar was a pain, I rather here it say "Oh no." then having to hear Heyden Christiansen talking about rough sand or its other "lines?" and Maul always over Dooku.

Anyways some people like to forget that without the Prequels, the original trilogy would be another legendary movie of the past and not the living Force today. I honestly believe that without the Phantom Menace we would never have the (Although altered) DVD versions for Prequel generations to see, and I believe that would have slowly extinguish the fandom to the point that we today couldn't look forward to this promising theme land. It had it's flaws but did what it was suppose to do, it introduced the next generation and light the fandom up to where we are today. That's what I still believe to this day, and I hope The Force Awakens will get the current Generation to join us at the dark side of the Force.

Not knowing much about Star Wars (seen the originals a couple of times), all I care about is having high quality theme park attractions I can geek out on based on the technology (that's how I feel about Potter).

Exactly. For example, I have no desire to ever see a Transformers flick, but I did enjoy the ride at Universal Orlando. I'll probably feel the same way about Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom (as long as they do a good job creating another world).

The Star Wars universe has a very distinctive look no matter which of the movies you're talking about.

Exactly. For example, I have no desire to ever see a Transformers flick, but I did enjoy the ride at Universal Orlando. I'll probably feel the same way about Avatar at Disney's Animal Kingdom (as long as they do a good job creating another world).

The Star Wars universe has a very distinctive look no matter which of the movies you're talking about.

Yes! I thought the first Transformers movie was awful, but I love that ride!

Same goes for Radiator Springs Racers, to a lesser extent. Cars is my least favorite Pixar franchise but the ride is great.

I have very little interest in Star Wars, but I love Star Tours at DHS. It just goes to show that if a ride is done well, it can be enjoyed by all people regardless of level of interest in the background story.

Yup. A good ride will explain everything you need to know. "OK, I am a tourist in a space airport, about to take a tram ride through the galaxy. Got it. Wow look, aliens!"

Disney announced this evening that its award-winning musical show 'Aladdin' will close at Disney California Adventure in January, to be replaced by a new 'Frozen'-themed musical.

'Aladdin' debuted at the park's Hyperion Theater in late 2002 and won this year's Theme Park Insider Award for the world's best theme park live show. Frequently updated with topical jokes from the show's iconic genie, Aladdin has proven to be a solid crowd-pleaser for more than a decade.

The show will close January 10, 2016. It's replacement will be a new "Frozen"-themed musical production, to debut next summer.

"Our stage production of 'Frozen' will stay true to the heart and soul of the film," Dana Harrel, Portfolio Creative Entertainment Executive, Walt Disney Imagineering, said in a press release. "Anna and Elsa will carry the audience on an emotional journey that includes show-stopping production numbers and a few unique theatrical twists."

No word yet on whether the new production will include any additional, original songs, or if Academy Award-winning songwriters Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez will be involved in this production.

The Disneyland Resort already has two other "Frozen"-themed live musical shows in production — one at the Fantasy Faire Royal Theatre in Disneyland and the "For the First Time in Forever" sing-along just steps away from the Hyperion Theater in DCA's Hollywood Land. One imagines that at least the sing-along will be closing before the new musical debuts.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201509/4727/

I am glad to see Aladdin moving on, and something new coming in. I enjoy Frozen, so I'm not mad that Aladdin is leaving, but the response from the crazy Disney fans is insane. Someone even started a petition to save the show. This is so stupid, the show has overstayed its welcome, and its moving to Broadway anyways.