TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

I know micechat is just a rumor site, but I'm starting to think that there may be truth to the toon town leaving as if you look at there picture of what will be take away 14 acres is the same as the area they circled. That also makes me think there is truth to the marvel land expansion for California Adventure.

Sadly there was no indication of location within either Disneyland or DHS. There was also no time line given what so ever. As well, they were extremely lite on lots of details. So we can expect more info to come.

Buzzfeed is reporting this,

"Iger did not provide a timetable for when the company would break ground on the Star Wars lands, nor when they would be opening. But fans will likely have to wait for a while before journeying to a galaxy far, far away: A rep for the company told BuzzFeed News that the current plan is to break ground on Disneyland’s Star Wars land by the end of 2017. That land will reside where the Big Thunder Ranch is currently located within Disneyland, as well as some areas within the park that are currently off limits to the public. The Disney rep did not, however, have a time table for the Orlando version of Star Wars land."

Yeah, I heard about that article too. However, unless they are quoting a Disney rep by name, I don't totally trust it. That being said, I can definitely see construction start as the 60th anniversary is wrapping up, or, right after it ends. So that time table makes sense.

Now, that have also been online rumors saying stuff has already started backstage. Not direct construction, but the rearranging of backstage buildings and facilities in preparation for construction. Not a rumor, just my hope, that they don't spend 4 years building it like they are with Avatar...

It'd make sense to move Big Thunder Ranch, given that there's not much going on there besides the BBQ and a (sorta) petting zoo. But wouldn't it be odd for a Star Wars land to be on the opposite side of the park from Star Tours? Though if that does happen, I think it's safe to say that Star Tours would be (re)moved.

Also, Star Wars Land is gonna be 14 acres. To put that into perspective, Cars Land was 12 acres, and that takes up a sizable portion of area in DCA. My shot in the dark is that with the recent purchase of that facility north of the Pumbaa parking lot, and their current intentions on using the existing structure, they could be moving some backstage operations over there, leaving some vacant buildings no one will probably miss. Again, just a shot in the dark.

But for all we know, anything could happen. This really has me excited, but also curious as to how this plays out, since this is by no means a "small" expansion. Guess we'll have to wait and see...

Yeah, I heard about that article too. However, unless they are quoting a Disney rep by name, I don't totally trust it. That being said, I can definitely see construction start as the 60th anniversary is wrapping up, or, right after it ends. So that time table makes sense.

Now, that have also been online rumors saying stuff has already started backstage. Not direct construction, but the rearranging of backstage buildings and facilities in preparation for construction. Not a rumor, just my hope, that they don't spend 4 years building it like they are with Avatar...

The DisneylandToday twitter confirmed it too.

For the level of detail and scale, 3 years seems about right. USH's version of WWHoP is taking almost the same amount of time, so it's not limited to just Disney when it comes to large scale projects.

Toontown is safe:"The new land is targeted to replace Disneyland’s Big Thunder Ranch and take over backstage areas currently not accessible to guests, a company spokesperson said, adding that speculation “Star Wars” would replace or impinge on Mickey's Toontown was unfounded."

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-disney-new-star-wars-themed-lands-d23-20150815-story.html

So it sounds like Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin and ToonTown are staying!

Twitter:

@DisneylandToday -

@PaulYankees It's going to be in the Big Thunder Ranch area, inclusive of some backstage locations.

So for 2016, the new attractions for the resort are 1.) Soarin' Over the World, 2.) Luigi's Roadsters, 3.) Star Wars Launch Bay, 4.) New locations added to Star Tours, 5.) Season Of The Force special event ?

Chip and Dale's Treehouse is now totally defunct and useless, and would provide a great pathway to connect to the new land. And there are several spots withing Toon Town they can relocate the tree to if they want to keep it.

Also, this is my prediction of there the land will take up back stage areas. And yes, I realize that is the parade building at the top, but I think they will be moving the parade building to the yellow box.

This area marked in green is 14.21 Acres, so I think this is the general footprint of the land.

1287046422_StarWars.thumb.jpg.f9c1886d0a05ef472d698f45a0e723b5.jpg

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

Man, really wish Disney would do things faster

You have to remember, though Disney operates in a very different manner than traditional theme parks that put in a "big, new ride every couple of years."

We get this a lot from the Walt Disney World fanboys, and they forget that Disney could probably build NOTHING for many years and still people would flock to the resort for their "trip of a lifetime."

Same thing with Disneyland. Yes, people love new attractions, additions, etc, but at the end of the day, people come to Disneyland for Space Mountain, Matterhorn, Pirates, Mansion, Small World, take their kids on Dumbo, etc, etc...

And those rides will keep the parks packed and full until the end of time. So from Disney's perspective, there is no reason to rush a project. And personally, I'd much rather have them put as much time and effort into making something awesome, even if it means it takes 3-4 years. I mean, do you really want them to rush something as major as this???

Chip and Dale's Treehouse is now totally defunct and useless, and would provide a great pathway to connect to the new land. And there are several spots withing Toon Town they can relocate the tree to if they want to keep it.

Also, this is my prediction of there the land will take up back stage areas. And yes, I realize that is the parade building at the top, but I think they will be moving the parade building to the yellow box.

This area marked in green is 14.21 Acres, so I think this is the general footprint of the land.

[attachment=0]Star Wars.jpg[/attachment]

I always envisioned it closer to Tomorrowland for thematic purposes, but if that's where there's available land it makes complete sense. I never once went to the Big Thunder Ranch area during my visits there.

^The attraction has literally been a ladder up to a staircase for YEARS! What the point in saving it, or keeping it there? And yes, they do deserve a better attraction.

And I think this is the absolute best location and solution to a lot of problems I think they could have faced.

Tomorrow land is the land of the future. Yes, space travel and aliens are most likely in our future, but the future is so much more then space travel. Putting it into Tomorrowland would have hindered the new lands size and design. Starting with a clean slate of land is awesome!

I also can totally see them moving Star Tours into this new land. The attractions show building is minimal, and then the queue and load station can be made to order. Instead of the current cramped loading area. This also opens up new space inside Tomorrowland for a new ride in that location.

Along with this move, I think there will be other yet to be announced rides, this is my opinion based on the lands size solely.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

The people who are nit-picky enough to be bothered by Tomorrowland not being adjacent to Star Wars Land should realize that Tomorrowland = the future and StarWars = a long time ago.

Not that it matters, but if you are that detail oriented, look at the details!

I also can totally see them moving Star Tours into this new land. The attractions show building is minimal, and then the queue and load station can be made to order. Instead of the current cramped loading area. This also opens up new space inside Tomorrowland for a new ride in that location.

I wouldn't be surprised if they convert the current Star Tours to Iron Man Experience once the new area is open across the park - couple that with something substantive (Marvel) in the Innoventions building and you're halfway to a brand new Tomorrowland.