TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

It consistently costs millions to keep the ride going. The door effect is dead, and Disney has proven this by replace the effect with something new. Also, the other Indy ride that uses this ride system did not include this effect, and it looks wonderful. I hope one day they tear it our and do something new, but the doors are likely never going to move again.

It consistently costs millions to keep the ride going. The door effect is dead, and Disney has proven this by replace the effect with something new. Also, the other Indy ride that uses this ride system did not include this effect, and it looks wonderful. I hope one day they tear it our and do something new, but the doors are likely never going to move again.

Ugh, I wish people would stop going on about the Indy door. It's like the annoying people who always complain about Everest's Yeti. The biggest issue about the door is that most people didn't even notice it, nor did they care. The only people complaining about it are die-hard Disney dorks almost looking to brag that they "know" about the door to make them feel like they are more in the know about pointless Disney Parks trivia that no one really cares about. Seriously, I think I rode Indy a dozen or so times when it first opened until someone pointed it out to me. I *NEVER* even noticed it! lol Tokyo's version doesn't have it, and guess what, NO ONE has ever mentioned that the ride suffers from not having it.

So like the Yeti, the flaw here isn't that they haven't fixed it, the flaw is in the actual design that no one notices or cares. Even when the Yeti was fully functional, you zoomed by it so quickly that so many people either missed it or didn't even notice that it had elaborate animation. Why spend the money to fix something that no one will notice? Both effects are a "missed opportunity" that you can only hope that designers benefit by learning from, and the next time they design a ride, they think about examples like this before they make the same mistake again.

Edited by robbalvey

Ugh, I wish people would stop going on about the Indy door. It's like the annoying people who always complain about Everest's Yeti. The biggest issue about the door is that most people didn't even notice it, nor did they care. The only people complaining about it are die-hard Disney dorks almost looking to brag that they "know" about the door to make them feel like they are more in the know about pointless Disney Parks trivia that no one really cares about. Seriously, I think I rode Indy a dozen or so times when it first opened until someone pointed it out to me. I *NEVER* even noticed it! lol Tokyo's version doesn't have it, and guess what, NO ONE has ever mentioned that the ride suffers from not having it.

Well, maybe the only people who complain about it are people who like really, really enjoyed it. For me, as a kid riding it, I didn't know for a while. I literally thought there were 3 different rooms. When I found out, it was the coolest thing EVER.

First of all, I can't believe you said that! I don't think that ride is going anywhere for decades at least, especially if they continue to make movies for the franchise. Why get rid of one of the most popular rides at the park? It'd cost millions to tear the thing out to replace it with another E-ticket that would cost upwards of $100-200 million.

Yes, they spend lots of money to keep the ride going, so if they're doing that, they might as well invest in it the same way they invested in Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, and even Space Mountain (although that was probably the cheapest?). I think if everything was "re-done" (same effects but the engineering/electronics behind it are streamlined/improved) there would be a lot less problems and less maintenance to do.

Well, maybe the only people who complain about it are people who like really, really enjoyed it.

Like I said, die-hard Disney dorks that give a crap. I'll bet if you polled most people that rode it when it worked, most people didn't notice. I think it's great that *YOU* liked it, but businesses aren't going to shift their resources based on *YOUR* personal preferences. The more people would understand this way of thinking, the less annoying California Disney fanboys would be.

Edited by robbalvey

Well, maybe the only people who complain about it are people who like really, really enjoyed it. For me, as a kid riding it, I didn't know for a while. I literally thought there were 3 different rooms. When I found out, it was the coolest thing EVER.

First of all, I can't believe you said that! I don't think that ride is going anywhere for decades at least, especially if they continue to make movies for the franchise. Why get rid of one of the most popular rides at the park? It'd cost millions to tear the thing out to replace it with another E-ticket that would cost upwards of $100-200 million.

Yes, they spend lots of money to keep the ride going, so if they're doing that, they might as well invest in it the same way they invested in Big Thunder Mountain, Matterhorn, and even Space Mountain (although that was probably the cheapest?). I think if everything was "re-done" (same effects but the engineering/electronics behind it are streamlined/improved) there would be a lot less problems and less maintenance to do.

I am talking about your beloved broken door... I was saying maybe one day they will replace the stupid door with a different scene/effect.... Not the ride.

But Robb, don't you understand? Replacing the door with projection mapping effects clearly shows Disney has abandoned all sense of quality, has abandoned its post as the leader in theme park innovation, and never tries to wow people anymore!

Earlier today somebody came up to me and demanded to know how/why Disney just got a 30 year exemption from paying taxes. Any taxes. All taxes. The person had read some National Enquirer-style blurb about the Anaheim tax deal that was full of sensationalism and misinformation, yet believed it to the point of visible outrage. People around here are really thick sometimes...

I'm a Disney fanatic. . and I have no idea what y'all are talking about. (this "door" thing)

but again, I've only been on Indy twice in my life, and avoid it when we go to the park (it does "not so good things" to my back).

I much prefer Dinosaur! at Animal Kingdom, and will re-ride that over and over.

tho I do like the Indy queue.

^Case in point... You didn't even know it was there. And it probably worked for you too.

To quickly answer your question: There is a sliding wall effect that changed every time a vehicle went through it. Making it appear that every ride went through one of three different chamber doors. When in reality, it was a;ways the center door and the walls just moved. For more, go here: Clicky

Edited by robbalvey

^Case in point... You didn't even know it was there. And it probably worked for you too.

To quickly answer your question: There is a sliding wall effect that changed every time a vehicle went through it. Making it appear that every ride went through one of three different chamber doors. When in reality, it was a;ways the center door and the walls just moved. For more, go here: Clicky

Interesting! And nope, didn't notice.

LOL

I see the wiki entry mentions the ride was really rough and has been toned down?.. maybe I'll give it a shot the next time we're in California. . as when we rode it last (many years ago). . it HURT.

^That is really the opinion of the author, I feel the ride is the same. But ride again, and decide for yourself. I will say that I do not ever feel any pain after I get off the ride.

back issues run in my family, so yeah, that's why I don't like some rides that other love, as they cause me pain.

what's funny is that I KNOW Dinosaur! uses the same ride system, but I have no issues there.

Its all about the programming.

Yeah, on Indy the movements are randomly generated.

Really? Then I must randomly get the same program EVERY time I ride it.

Um, no they're not. The hydraulic movements are pre-programmed and fire off sequentially through the circuit.

Actually yes, they are.

On the Indiana Jones attraction riders sit in 12-passenger "jeeps" that simulate a rugged, off-road ride with sudden drops and turns. The ride, one of the most complex in the park, has 160,000 possible combinations of twists, turns and dips, which are randomly generated by computer.

LA Times

It was also mentioned by an Imagineer in a behind the scenes video or documentary, I am looking for that as well.

EDIT:

The official ride listing on Disney's site under section 3, "Treasures, Thousands of Adventures" says this about this ride:

Beyond the different treasures, each time you experience the attraction there are countless variations—big and small. In fact, there are nearly 160,000 possible ride combinations. Each ride is a new adventure!

Indiana Jones

LOL! OMG, simmer down. Everyone is right!! When the ride first opened, it was advertised to have randomized rides. The cited atticle is from 1999, and was true then. It is not; however, true today. The ride no longer does what the article claims and was altered to have only a few different ride profiles, one for each chamber I think. But even since that was done, the ride has been dropped down to one ride profile. It is 100% a single profile now.

Edited by COASTER FREAK 11

This discussion right here is why I cannot stand going to Disneyland. It's so nice being out here in Orlando when 99.9% of the people you run into are visiting the parks for the first time and aren't pretending to be some sort of stupid know-it-all about the parks. They are just happy to be there and appreciative for what everything is. They aren't complaining about a broken door, they aren't trying to one-up each other with some sort of pointless Disney factoid that makes them feel better about their pathetic insecurities, they are just there to enjoy the parks. Yes, they are dumb tourists, but that's WAAAAAY better than being some self-entitled obnoxious Californian Disney fanboy. Thank you dylanreich for reminding me why I don't miss west coast Disney in any way at all.

Edited by robbalvey

This discussion right here is why I cannot stand going to Disneyland. It's so nice being out here in Orlando when 99.9% of the people you run into are visiting the parks for the first time and aren't pretending to be some sort of stupid know-it-all about the parks. They are just happy to be there and appreciative for what everything is. They aren't complaining about a broken door, they aren't trying to one-up each other with some sort of pointless Disney factoid that makes them feel better about their pathetic insecurities, they are just there to enjoy the parks. Yes, they are dumb tourists, but that's WAAAAAY better than being some self-entitled obnoxious Californian Disney fanboy. Thank you dylanreich for reminding me why I don't miss west coast Disney in any way at all.

Ouch! Yeah, well I guess that's what happens when Disneyland is the most popular park in the state of CA. Literally ALL locals, which is why they keep touching up the attractions, even where it isn't necessary. These passholders want MOOORE! MOOOOOOOOO

THIS! I cannot stand the elitist attitude of most of the AP holders, Disney Social Club members, Disney super fan boy types. Thankfully my friends like to have fun and appreciate what the parks for what they are. I'm exhausted reading these type of posts...

On a completely different note, what is the opinion / review of the upgraded 4k Soarin' ? I haven't made it back onto that ride since it re-opened. Also, I saw the ride through of Peter Pan online, it is pulling some pretty impressive lines so I usually try to swing back there when it is less busy. Anyone see it in person? On video, the upgrades seem charming and not overdone.