TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^It's pretty much exactly what I thought it would be. Looks good, but nothing to go crazy over. I feel like theme parks have hit another creative wall. We went from Lava Monster, the giant Yeti at Expedition Everest, trying to have animatronics walking the park/interacting with guests, and Forbidden Journey at Universal...to 3D everything at Universal and projection mapped everything at Disney. It's not that there is anything wrong with that, since the final products have led to an insane amount of growth for both Disney and Universal and nothing they do is terrible...I'm just ready to be wowed again.

^^Aside from the vertical video, it's obvious the video is edited. Although I don't think picking kids up is in Disney's character SOP's...something is very fishy about this.

Paying the hospital bill AND saying the team member was disciplined would seem to defy logic, as rule #1 for any situation that could result in litigation would be to never admit guilt.

^It's pretty much exactly what I thought it would be. Looks good, but nothing to go crazy over. I feel like theme parks have hit another creative wall. We went from Lava Monster, the giant Yeti at Expedition Everest, trying to have animatronics walking the park/interacting with guests, and Forbidden Journey at Universal...to 3D everything at Universal and projection mapped everything at Disney. It's not that there is anything wrong with that, since the final products have led to an insane amount of growth for both Disney and Universal and nothing they do is terrible...I'm just ready to be wowed again.

I understand your thoughts here. The Hatbox Ghost does look pretty cool, and projection was probably the best way to achieve the effect. (I also think the similar upgrade to the Bride in the attic was equally cool.) That being said, I think the Hatbox Ghost "pales" a bit when compared with how Disney used the same technology on the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Florida.

Looks really good! Looking forward to seeing it in person soon. It does appear that 3D and projections are Uni's and Disney's 'crutch', albeit doing them really well. I guess it's a matter of time before the wall is broken again and we see some really fun new stuff. Apparently the ride tech for avatar should be cool, considering we're apparently supposed to be riding on the back of a banshee. Curious how that'll work out.

^Projection mapping on animatronics goes as far back as Buzz Lightyear in the queues of his rides. There's also the faces on Radiator Springs Racers cars. So to me this Hatbox Ghost is just more of the same...it still looks good, but it's also not "OMFG wow" anymore either. I would personally be more impressed if they had found a way to re-create the actual practical effect as it was intended.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the other 60th anniversary ride rehabs will also feature projection mapping in some way.

^Projection mapping on animatronics goes as far back as Buzz Lightyear in the queues of his rides. There's also the faces on Radiator Springs Racers cars. So to me this Hatbox Ghost is just more of the same...it still looks good, but it's also not "OMFG wow" anymore either. I would personally be more impressed if they had found a way to re-create the actual practical effect as it was intended.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the other 60th anniversary ride rehabs will also feature projection mapping in some way.

I don't mean to go on a tangent, but alas... Here I go.

I am trying to figure out how you define "practical effect". From all the research I've done the original effect was simply turning the black light off the head and hoping people couldn't see it. As we now know, that simply doesn't work. The audience is in far too close a proximity to the figure to ever make that work. In fact, I'd wager to say based on what you consider a practical effect, that this figure has far more a practical effect then you give it credit for.

In reality the effect starts the same as the original, they just turn the light off (i.e. The projection that is lighting up the sculpted physical face that is there)... However they went a step further, and based off of video and flash photos, we can now determine that the sculpted face quickly drops into the chest of the figure, and quickly rises back into place for when it magically appears back on to his shoulders.

So the end result is that this is far more complicated and far more of a practical effect then the original.

^I will admit to not knowing that (because I really don't care enough to look through countless photos/videos to dissect the effect), but my larger point still stands: I would have been more impressed if they found a way to do all that without having to resort to projection mapping the head to create the desired lighting conditions.

I will fully admit to being harder to impress, and I will also fully admit to not getting the added hype (which adds to my jaded attitude). I don't mean to say that the figure isn't cool looking by any means...I just want to see Disney/WDI come out again and do something that's basically "screw you, we are the best in the business...we are going to make the impossible happen."

^I will admit to not knowing that (because I really don't care enough to look through countless photos/videos to dissect the effect), but my larger point still stands: I would have been more impressed if they found a way to do all that without having to resort to projection mapping the head to create the desired lighting conditions.

I will fully admit to being harder to impress, and I will also fully admit to not getting the added hype (which adds to my jaded attitude). I don't mean to say that the figure isn't cool looking by any means...I just want to see Disney/WDI come out again and do something that's basically "screw you, we are the best in the business...we are going to make the impossible happen."

I really hope that when Avatar opens, there is some truly cool new tech in practice effects. Also, with the inevitable Star Wars and Marvel attractions coming, those might be a better gauge on seeing if this "creative wall" is there or not.

Making a single character with expectation already there is one thing, your limited on the execution. But with new rides/lands where they get to start from scratch is where we will really see. And I think Racers uses the new AA tech in a great way! They only use projection fir the eyes, everything else is practical!

I'm not as well traveled as most people on here but the last thing to wow me was Mystic Manor's particle effects of the music box, especially in the end room when it gets sucked back in, looked much more impressive in person than it did in any POV's

From the Disney Parks Blog

Behind the Scenes: Hatbox Ghost Reappears in Haunted Mansion at Disneyland Park

posted on May 11th, 2015 by Erin Glover, Social Media Director, Disneyland Resort

This weekend, one of the 999 happy haunts in the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland park reappeared after decades in hiding. Take a look!

HBG45457492LARGE.jpg.7c5bc801be63251c21fcf5b3d2f073ae.jpg

HBG45457491LARGE.jpg.8e10e5c9017d1dcc242b5ab04d91c5b1.jpg

Today, I’m excited to share a behind-the-scenes look at this mysterious resident from our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering. Watch as they take us inside the reappearance of the Hatbox Ghost.

Come see the Hatbox Ghost for yourself now at the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland park!

I'm not as well traveled as most people on here but the last thing to wow me was Mystic Manor's particle effects of the music box, especially in the end room when it gets sucked back in, looked much more impressive in person than it did in any POV's

I haven't been able to make it back to HKDL since that opened, so in no particular order a few things have wowed me in my travels:

-Lava Monster

-Expedition Everest Yeti (when it worked...even if you only see it for 5-10 seconds)

-Shariki disappearing effect in TDS Tower

-Forbidden Journey ride system

-Musical Circus @ Parque Espana

Just to be clear, nothing is WRONG with projection mapping. They still look great. I'm just hoping we can get back to the mid 90's when Universal and Disney were building blockbuster E-tickets with practical FX that were amazing for their time. Like Chris said, I hope Avatar (and whatever Universal may have in the pipeline) can bring that back!

^It's so sad that Musical Circus is no more. What a bizarre attraction that was. I also find the ride system of Forbidden Journey interesting, but I prefer the rooms with physical effects to all the video stuff.

I haven't been able to make it back to HKDL since that opened, so in no particular order a few things have wowed me in my travels:

-Lava Monster

-Shariki disappearing effect in TDS Tower

Well at least I've managed to see those 2 things.

^It's so sad that Musical Circus is no more. What a bizarre attraction that was. I also find the ride system of Forbidden Journey interesting, but I prefer the rooms with physical effects to all the video stuff.

Does the ride system still exist for Musical Circus? I mean, is whatever attraction that replaced it still using the original ride system for musical circus? Because it was spectacular.

I hadn't heard of Musical Circus until now, and damn, that's disturbing.. and impressive at the same time. How does the ride system works? The seats are on a turntable, but does it goes up and down too? And can it also moves horizontally...?!

Yep--the platform revolved, ascended and descended, and moved horizontally to different rooms. It was a very cool system (like something you'd see at a Disney park).

...Does the ride system still exist for Musical Circus? I mean, is whatever attraction that replaced it still using the original ride system for musical circus? Because it was spectacular.

When I/we were last there, on the TPR 2011 Japan Tour, Musical Circus was gone, and I believe some kind of movie attraction was in it's place, but not below ground level. I didn't think they were using the old ride system at all, by then.

And a gift shop.

And I just found a video link, of the old attraction, you can see...

(And pardon the Musical Circus sidebar here.)

I don't know what everyone is complaining about. For me i did think "wow" thats pretty cool.

Just look at the affect for what it is.

Does it do what the origional hatbox ghost was supposed to do? - yes

Does it plus it in any way? in my option yes - the expression on the face is amazing

Does it look like the hatbox ghose? - YES

I don't mean to be rude but come on, stop complaining! I agree so far as the use of projections and screens for disney and universal is getting a bit overused but one beautifully created ghoul shouldn't take the heat for that.