TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

^I actually really like the concept of Disney Quest...too bad they haven't updated it since it opened.

If they want to do a third gate, they already have the land and they can snag a lot more if they use eminent domain. The Toy Story lot is currently the most likely area a third gate would go, when and if they decide to build one. The third park would be connected by the Garden Walk and a DTD East connector and the new parking.

Eminent domain would tie Disney up in a legal/political battle for years. I'm sure if/when Disney is ready to buy property to aggressively start expanding, they'll do what they did with the Carousel: set up a new LLC to try and hide the fact it's Disney and pay WAY over market value for it. It's still chump change to Disney.

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/05/avengers-assemble-at-redd-rocketts-pizza-port-in-disneyland-park/

To celebrate the release of “Avengers: Age of Ultron” today, Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port in Disneyland park will be adding a few “super” items to their menu.

Look for a trio of treats inspired by your favorite Avengers characters—like the Black Widow Parfait, with layers of chocolate syrup, chocolate cake, white and dark chocolate mousse, strawberry filling, and topped with dark chocolate crunchy candies and Black Widow’s emblem. Take a bite out of crime with a Captain America shield cookie. Or perhaps your “super” sweet tooth is craving a Mark V Dessert Waffle—a red velvet waffle shaped like Iron Man’s mask, topped with edible glitter.

Since I love collecting souvenir Food and Beverage items, I’m most excited about the new Iron Man mug, available with soft drinks.

There will also be an “Avengers: Age of Ultron” keepsake comic book style print, which was designed exclusively for Disneyland Park Food and Beverage. This print is available for $10, after spending $20 (before tax, after discount) at Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port. Quantities are limited.

Avengers lovers, assemble at Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port before these limited-time offerings are gone!

aaudlp123456.jpg.0ec32e86b3856e0acd44efd76ab4755f.jpgimddlp123456.jpg.78988281a15081df99ee78bfee2cae3c.jpgimmdlp123456.jpg.69b8cda2b40f56892a2b5e8c0d5bccbc.jpg

http://www.latimes.com/travel/themeparks/la-trb-disneyland-paint-the-night-parade-preview-20150429-story.html

Billed as the successor to the beloved Main Street Electrical Parade, Disneyland’s new 1.5 million-light Paint the Night will be a near carbon copy of a Hong Kong Disneyland nighttime parade.

Starting May 22, Disneyland’s new parade joins a new fireworks display as well as Disney California Adventure’s new version of the World of Color water show as part of a diamond jubilee celebration that’s expected to stretch through the end of the year and beyond. A smartphone app will allow visitors to interact with the parade.

Described as “overwhelmingly bright,” the new nighttime parade will feature 76 performers in lighted costumes. The musical soundtrack, which will be recorded at London’s legendary Abbey Road Studios, pays tribute to the Electrical Parade’s indelible “Baroque Hoedown.”

Using the Hong Kong version as a template, the Paint the Night parade will feature floats from "Cars," "Toy Story," "Monsters Inc.," "Beauty and the Beast," "Little Mermaid" and “Frozen.” The procession will kick off with a Tinkerbell float and conclude with a Mickey Mouse float. The signature drum float from the Electrical Parade will make a nostalgic appearance.

During a recent press preview, I watched a dress rehearsal of Paint the Night and was surprised at how technically advanced the new parade was compared with the old Electrical Parade.

During the demonstration, Carz Crew dancers wore illuminated costumes that changed colors in time to the music. A life-size big rig truck float, known as Mack in the “Cars” movies, pulled a trailer filled with volumetric lights that cycled through a seemingly endless array of mesmerizing displays.

Spoiler Alert: What follows is a detailed breakdown of the floats and performers featured in Paint the Night. Consider yourself forewarned.

Tinkerbell leads off the parade with a float dubbed the Magic of Pixie Dust that kicks up a sparkling swirl of rainbow colors, brought to life from a storytelling standpoint by Mickey Mouse’s magic paint brush. Following close behind, a drum float with Peter Pan sitting atop pays tribute to the Main Street Electrical Parade.

Performers known as Fiber Fairies wearing costumes festooned with fiber optic strands are intended to look like dancing pixie dust. Several of Tinkerbell’s fairy friends will join the procession.

With Sulley Sullivan and Mike Wazowski on board, the “Monsters Inc.” float will feature a series of spinning peek-a-boo doors with hidden video screens that reveal Monstropolis scarers.

Lightning McQueen leads the “Cars” contingent with the 25,000-light Mack truck followed by the glow-in-the-dark Carz Crew dancers.

The 25-foot-tall “Little Mermaid” float, dubbed Electric Watercolors, features a massive King Triton figure with a rear-projection face. A large troupe of performers tags behind, including the electroluminescent coral fish as well as the Nemo and Marlin characters.

Video footage shown during the press event showed an electric jellyfish performer wearing a device on his head that made hypnotic glowing tentacles spin around him as he walked the parade route.

No Disney parade would be complete without a procession of princesses. Belle from “Beauty and the Beast” commands the lead float dominated by a massive red rose with Cinderella and Rapunzel on trailing candelabra mini-floats. The Court Dancer performers wear color-changing costumes while the Dove Dancers look like winged ballerinas.

Frozen Fractals is one of two new floats not found at Hong Kong Disneyland (the other is the drum). Elsa’s towering ice palace glows an iridescent blue as the “Frozen” snow queen is joined by her sister Anna and the delusional-wacky snowman Olaf. A team of Ice Crystal Dancers that look like winged snowflakes trail the float.

The “Toy Story” float, dubbed Electric Rodeo, features a 20-foot-long Slinky Dog with Sheriff Woody and Buzz Lightyear sitting precariously atop the illuminated coils. The Lasso Dancers, each spinning a lighted ball on a string designed to look like a neon lasso, are joined by Jessie the cowgirl.

Wielding a giant paint brush, Mickey Mouse brings the Paint the Night parade to a close with a 17,000-light finale float boasting a wild kinetic sculpture that creates an optical illusion with an array of disco balls. Nearby, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy sit rather awkwardly atop lighted spherical mini-floats that perfectly preserve the whimsical wackiness of the original Main Street Electrical Parade.

Edited by jedimaster1227

First off, I am extremely excited for all the new shows and updated attractions for this summer. This is definitely a great year to be a pass holder and witness all the 60th celebration stuff going on. That being said, I can't help but sigh and shake my head after reading that list of floats for the new parade. When looking at every show that is performed in the Disneyland Resort, I find it interesting what movies they choose to present in each individual show. Obviously if there is a newer movie that has done very well, they will want to showcase it (Frozen). Yes, I think they've gone a little overboard with the Frozen Fun stuff, but it doesn't surprise me it will be making an appearance in the new parade. What surprises me is choosing movies like Toy Story, Monsters Inc, and Mermaid. It bothers me when they decide to use the same movie characters for every single show. The Pixar movies already make an appearance in the Pixar Play Parade in California Adventure, so why repeat them in the other park? And then there's Mermaid. What's with Disney's sudden craze over a movie from the 90s? The Little Mermaid makes an appearance in the following Disneyland Resort attractions: Voyage of the Little Mermaid (ride), Ariel's Grotto (restaurant), King Triton's Carousel, World of Color, Fantasmic, Mickey's Magical Map, and now the two new shows coming to Disneyland as well. Talk about repetition.

Here's the thing, I feel like Disney needs to find a better way to balance out what movies and characters they decide to use for their different shows. Mickey's Magical Map is a great example of attempting this, as they decided to use movies that either were not as popular or have not been showcased in a current show already such as Pocahontas, Lilo & Stitch, Tangled, Jungle Book, and Princess and the Frog. But then of course they just had to throw in Mermaid too. I'm no entertainment coordinator/designer/expert, but it's just interesting to see how they decide to spend millions of dollars on certain things are already showcased elsewhere. Needless to say, I will still be watching these new shows come summer, and am very excited for the new technology that the company is expanding toward.

$32 million for the CAROUSEL!? Wow...

The price has nothing to do with the quality of the hotel. Has everything to do with the location and lack of available real estate in the area.

Can we, just for a second, admire how great a writer Brady is? Sully Sullivan. He could have asked any kid that grew up on that film to know what that character's name really is, and not missed the mark on that...

^I actually really like the concept of Disney Quest...too bad they haven't updated it since it opened.

If they want to do a third gate, they already have the land and they can snag a lot more if they use eminent domain. The Toy Story lot is currently the most likely area a third gate would go, when and if they decide to build one. The third park would be connected by the Garden Walk and a DTD East connector and the new parking.

Eminent domain would tie Disney up in a legal/political battle for years. I'm sure if/when Disney is ready to buy property to aggressively start expanding, they'll do what they did with the Carousel: set up a new LLC to try and hide the fact it's Disney and pay WAY over market value for it. It's still chump change to Disney.

I totally agree, using eminent domain isn't an easy thing to do. However, the land I was specifically talking about doesn't have homes on it, its all apartments. Meaning they could easily offer a boat load of cash, and they would probably get the land. And eminent domain is a last resort, always, but being apartments and not homes, it has a different perception. But again, I do agree. Its not an easy or best choice.

^If it's low income housing, eminent domain is definitely not the best option. That would be hell for Disney to deal with. Much easier to buy out leases/pay for relocation, buy the property above market value, and move on. I'm thinking the Carousel Inn purchase wasn't really planned, but just happened to fall into their lap. It's a brilliant purchase, since it basically sets the price Disney is willing to pay for future purchases.

Edited by Jew

^ Yeah, I'll bet that HoJo is foaming at the mouth for some sweet Disney money right now.

I mean seriously, is there any hotel in that immediate area that actually deserves the prices they charge? I stay at the Super 8 on Disneyland Drive every time I visit for $60, which is perfectly fair, especially since it's a pretty awesome Super 8 and they let me keep my car there to avoid parking charges. Every hotel in that triangle lot by the Carousel asks insane prices simply for their location. Meanwhile none of those properties are ones I would consider spending $40 to stay at anywhere else.

The park blog has a cool update on the outdated "animated" windows. New ones are coming for the 60th celebration. FINALLY! These look really cool!

Dinsey Parks Blog

If you’ve wandered down Main Street, U.S.A., at Disneyland park recently, you may have noticed some of the windows along the front of the Emporium are covered. What is going on behind those blue curtains, you ask? Today, I’m excited to tell you!

The beloved Main Street animated windows will come to life once again for the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration as Main Street Enchanted Windows. Since the early 1960s, scenes from Disney animated classics have been featured in the windows of the Emporium at Disneyland park. This year, for the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration, these classic windows will be updated with new, exciting technology and effects. Take a look behind the scenes of the creation of these windows with John Gritz, Creative Designer at Walt Disney Imagineering, in the video below!

There will be a total of six Main Street Enchanted Windows. The first two, featuring the stories of “Peter Pan” and “Cinderella,” will be unveiled in May, followed by “Frozen” and “The Princess and the Frog” in July, and “Toy Story” and “Aladdin” in August.

The Main Street Enchanted Windows are just another way the Disneyland Resort continues to delight guests in ways both big and small … from our new nighttime spectaculars and the addition of new magic to classic attractions, to special details that catch your eye as you stroll down Main Street, U.S.A. See it all for yourself when the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration begins May 22!

The Parks Blog has an update on the returning Mad T Party, take a look.

Disney Parks Blog

It’s Almost Time for the Diamond Mad T Party at Disney California Adventure Park

posted on May 6th, 2015 by Shawn Slater, Communications Manager, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Creative Entertainment

1737147343_TParty.jpg.3d7ccad484bce584234436620e76b663.jpg

When the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration kicks off May 22, you’re invited to take a trip down the Rabbit Hole and experience the Diamond Mad T Party, a splendiferous new version of the popular nighttime entertainment experience at Disney California Adventure park. Diamond Mad T Party will feature heart-pounding live entertainment, interactive fun and delectable delights all wrapped in sparkling décor and seasoned with some unique tributes to 60 years of Disneyland Resort.

During the Diamond Mad T Party, the main stage explodes in a swirling kaleidoscope of sparkle, shine and sound. The Mad Hatter has assembled the most amazing and talented band this side of Wonderland, featuring live contemporary and classic rock favorites as well as newly mashed-up Disney tunes given a rare Mad T Party twist! And when the band is not onstage, the White Rabbit DJ takes over and plays the latest and hottest dance tunes around.

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, our whimsical and mischievous hosts for the party, have taken a trip down the Rabbit Hole and back in time, where they found themselves inside the magical Disney Vault. Eager to share where they have been and what they have seen, Dee and Dum have loaded their trunk and brought back some fanciful artifacts to add to the Hatter’s Diamond Mad T Party!

Nearby at the House of Cards, Mad T Party guests have opportunities aplenty to dance and play along to interactive activities or just chill out with a cold drink from the Drink Me Bar or Chiller truck. New this go ‘round is a fantastical photo location created in the spirit of the Diamond Mad T Party while paying tribute to Disney past.

In addition, fans of the Hottest Deck in Town will be dealt an extremely lucky hand, as the Hollywood Backlot Stage becomes the dazzling new location for this talented dance crew. They will be bringing their high-energy and infectious performances to the party with a brand new look on their brand new stage.

So get practicing your Futterwacken and other dance moves. We’re just a couple weeks away from all the muchness that will be the sparklingly, spectacularly delightful Diamond Mad T Party!

Ok, so to be clear, the side stage that was under the triangle truss is not coming back. Luckily, the performances are moving to the actual Hollywood Backlot Stage. I think this is a good move. The first iteration of the Mad T Party didn't make use of the stage, they only had projections on it.

During Freeze the night, they installed some projectors on the truss frame that project downward at the ground with interactive media. I'd guess these will remain and will be the new "Interactive activities" in that area.

I think this new layout makes better use of the space and will have better traffic flow too.

To comment on Disney doing eminent domain to acquire property. They can't do it. The City of Anaheim might be able too but I'm sure they would be tied up in court. Either way it would be a PR nightmare for Disney. There only shot is to buy it when it comes on the market or make an offer. As soon as people figure out what is going on the prices will escalate quickly on property that is needed.

Eminent Domain

The power to take private property for public use by a state, municipality, or private person or corporation authorized to exercise functions of public character, following the payment of just compensation to the owner of that property.

I would hope that before they even consider a 3rd gate, they beef up all the public (freeway on/off ramps, roads) and private infrastructure (more hotel rooms, more parking, more shopping/dining) to handle the extra people on their property. It's already nasty on busy days.

...Perhaps this purchase is the start of all that?

^That's correct Joey. Before they do ANYTHING they need more parking. That being said, everyone expects some very very big announcements at this years D23 (a third gate is not one of them, nor a water park) so they might need to address the parking issue sooner rather then later. Especially because the convention center is expanding as well and they frequently use Disney parking for overflow and vise versa.

The new parking structure will most likely go into the parking lot and industrial buildings that are behind the row of hotels. The freeway is already designed for this to happen too. All they need to do is build the thing, everything else is in place.

The only hindrance is the Anaheim street car project that is supposed to go either THROUGH the parking structure or down the road where cars would enter. So Disney really can't build something until Anaheim figures out the route for this street car or if they decide not to build it.

Personally I don't think they should build it at all, buts that's a different discussion.

Map.thumb.jpg.ecf8f6704f97791c8dd4360041eb067c.jpg

Red is the land for the new parking structure (not exactly sure where the property lines are)

Green is the two routes currently proposed for the Anaheim Rapid Connector (Street Car)

Yellow is the two off ramps for the 5 North (regular and carpool exits)

When they re-did the 5 years ago, and added the connector to the current parking structure, they also added this ramp for the future structure. Its all already planned out, it's not ever going to be a third gate, or a water park. The land in red is going to be parking, and eventual resort hotels IF Disney is able to secure additional land like the Carousel Inn.

And on the Water Park, I don't think we will ever see a Disney Water Park in Anaheim unless its mostly or completely enclosed because we don't have the weather to support it being open all year long. And the Great wolf Lodge is being built right down the street with a seemingly massive indoor water park.

^I vaguely remember a discussion of an additional parking structure (Like you outlined in RED) to where the monorail was going to have a stop at so all 3 trains could be run efficiently as well. Right now the beam is only long enough to efficiently run 2. I am in agreement that parking infrastructure should be #1 on the "needs improvement" list.

And on the Water Park, I don't think we will ever see a Disney Water Park in Anaheim unless its mostly or completely enclosed because we don't have the weather to support it being open all year long.

Really? Because of the weather there?

While your probably right on more parking structures and newer Disney hotels being built first, I think a Disney water park in Anaheim could be open 10-12 months out of the year. All they would have to do is heat the water more in the milder months. If Disney never builds a water park here I think it is because they are doing away water parks besides the two they currently have and not because of the weather here.

LOL, its 100% the weather. Have you ever gotten out if hot water on a cold night? You freeze! The bigger the the difference between the water and air, the colder you feel. And the mostly warm weather in Florida is 100% the reason they have the water parks mostly open all year long. If its in Anaheim, it needs to be mostly enclosed to operate all year long.

Also a small note: Iger himself said this last year at the shareholder meeting that a third gate is not even on the radar right now for Anaheim. Given all the projects that the company is doing right now, I think it's safe to say they're going to heavily focus on the current parks and enhancing Disneyland, and maybe spots of Dca, while working with Anaheim to work on a better structure for parking, and possibly a redo for GardenWalk. But a third gate, if it'll ever happen, probably won't be even a possible reality for years.

^Correct. For once, I don't think Iger is hiding anything in regards to this. With all the anticipated stuff at D23 this year, that could carry the Anaheim resort through 6 or so years of construction and growth. If a third gate is coming, i'd easily put it on a 10 year mark, if not farther out.

The reality is that Disneyland was never designed for the amount of guests that are currently visiting and now that DCA is finally living up to it's potential...New rides are great, but like I said, the infrastructure will also need a HUGE overhaul. I'm guessing Disney has to be near their maximum projected crowd level with how successful they have been the last few years.

For comparisons sake, look what Universal is having to do to prepare for Harry Potter...new garage, expanding the roads that lead into the property, the metro pedestrian bridge, redoing the freeway on and off ramps...plus work behind the scenes to improve infrastructure for team members to account for all the extra staff. And I don't think they are even done announcing projects (Old House of Horrors space).

Edited by Jew