TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Disneyland Resort (DL, DLR, DCA) Discussion Thread

p. 393 - Pixar Place Hotel transformation will be completed on January 30th, 2024!

Quick question. Soarin' over California is closed from Jan 6- May 14. Is there a chance of a soft opening on the 14th like they've done with some refurbished attractions in the past, as I will be out of LA from May 15th until September and hoped to get a quick ride in to experience the changes. I have to be at LAX in the morning, so unfortunately can't drop in that day.

I just hope the hamburger are actually good. Outside of Carthay, have yet to have a good hamburger at DL/DCA. I had the salad at Boardwalk, the Italian, which is great. My friend got the "angus" cheeseburger. Cheese not melted, and so well done, he complained it had a terrible texture. I think the quick service dining at the park could use an overhaul. Hope the Hungry Bear is getting a quality overhaul at the same time.

Like the new look of the airfield. Huge improvement visually.

That's the opposite experience I've had with burgers at the boardwalk and former Taste Pilots Grill. I enjoyed them. The burger that matches that description to me is the ones at Tomorrowland Terrace. Those were "meh" to me.

The food at the Tomorrowland Terrace was always bad. I remember when the old Tahitian Terrace was open for lunch and served a damn good burger (this was back in the 1980s).

I will have to recommend that, my friend also got did not like the burger at the Terrace as well. Usually, if we are looking for lunch in the area, we hop on monorail and go to Rainforest or Earl in Downtown Disney, very convenient on less crowded days.

I just hope the hamburger are actually good. Outside of Carthay, have yet to have a good hamburger at DL/DCA. I had the salad at Boardwalk, the Italian, which is great. My friend got the "angus" cheeseburger. Cheese not melted, and so well done, he complained it had a terrible texture. I think the quick service dining at the park could use an overhaul. Hope the Hungry Bear is getting a quality overhaul at the same time.

Like the new look of the airfield. Huge improvement visually.

That's the opposite experience I've had with burgers at the boardwalk and former Taste Pilots Grill. I enjoyed them. The burger that matches that description to me is the ones at Tomorrowland Terrace. Those were "meh" to me.

The food at the Tomorrowland Terrace was always bad. I remember when the old Tahitian Terrace was open for lunch and served a damn good burger (this was back in the 1980s).

Tomorrowland Terrace I think was the last hold out place that didn't get an updated menu a few years back. Also, DBJ, have you ever tried the Pastrami Burger at Village Haus? Its my favorite burger at Disneyland! Its bit messy but oh sooooooo good!But I have liked all the food at all of the places that had overhauled menus.

That does sound good! I will have to try that the next time I visit the park later this month. Thanks for the tip! Haven't been to the Haus place in quite sometime.

The Disneyland Resort has sent us a press release regarding a new 24-hour event to kick off the 60th anniversary of the resort.

A dynamic 24-hour party will kick off the summer and launch the Disneyland Resort Diamond Celebration, May 22-23, as guests enjoy the thrilling premieres of three, new nighttime spectaculars: the glittering “Paint the Night” parade and the groundbreaking “Disneyland Forever” fireworks show at Disneyland Park, plus the new presentation, “World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney,” at Disney California Adventure Park.

The all-day/all-night celebration will begin at 6 a.m. Friday, May 22, and will conclude 24 hours* later at 6 a.m. Saturday, May 23, 2015 local time. The revelry will include dancing and special character encounters at locations in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure parks, along with enchanting Diamond décor throughout the resort and the exciting shows and attractions that bring guests back year after year. The Disneyland Resort invites guests of all ages to kick off the summer travel season in Southern California, celebrating 60 years of magic at a resort that remains forever young.

At Disneyland

“Paint the Night” Parade - After dark along the Disneyland parade route, 24-hour guests will be among the first to see the “Paint the Night” parade, showcasing beloved Disney characters in dazzling parade scenes illuminated with more than 1.5 million individually controlled lights – the first all-LED parade in Disneyland Resort history. The luminescent parade introduces a new era of magical entertainment, as Mickey Mouse uses his imagination to harness the power of Tinker Bell’s pixie dust to “Paint the Night” in dazzling Disney dreams. Those dreams include special appearances by Mickey’s pals and beloved characters from tales such as “Monsters, Inc.,” “Cars,” “The Little Mermaid,” “Beauty and the Beast,” “Toy Story” and “Frozen.” The parade features some of the most spectacular floats, unforgettable music and special effects ever presented at the Disneyland Resort, along with energetic performers who add to the brilliance with colorful costumes that light up, too.

“Disneyland Forever” Fireworks Show - Disneyland Park itself plays a starring role in the “Disneyland Forever” fireworks spectacular, also premiering during the 24-hour event. Breathtaking fireworks shows have long been a Disneyland Resort tradition and “Disneyland Forever” soars to new levels, immersing guests from the tips of their toes to the brilliant pyrotechnic bursts above, thanks to special effects that turn the storefronts of Main Street, U.S.A., the Matterhorn mountain, the “Fantasmic!” water screens and the façade of “it’s a small world” into gigantic projections screens filled with color, characters and surprises. “Disneyland Forever” transports guests into the worlds of beloved Disney and Disney●Pixar films, including a dance with King Louie from the “The Jungle Book” and a flight over London with characters from “Peter Pan.” Two original songs also energize the show: the theme “Live the Magic,” and the inspiring closing song “Kiss Goodnight,” written by Disney Legend Richard M. Sherman. “Disneyland Forever” will be visible from Main Street, U.S.A., and several Disneyland locations.

At Disney California Adventure

“World of Color – Celebrate! The Wonderful World of Walt Disney” – Award-winning actor Neil Patrick Harris and Mickey Mouse will appear in film sequences and animated imagery of the all-new “World of Color” show, premiering May 22 during the 24-hour party. “World of Color – Celebrate!” illuminates the night in a fun-filled and inspirational journey exploring Walt Disney’s decades-long legacy of memorable animated moments and his dream of Disneyland park. It culminates in a madcap musical tour of Disneyland Resort attractions as you’ve never seen them before. Both epic and intimate in scope, “World of Color – Celebrate!” comes to life with animation, live-action film, fountains, lasers, special effects and a stirring musical score, all on the magical water canvas of “World of Color.”

Just the Beginning

The 24-hour party is just the beginning of the summer fun at Disney Parks on both coasts.

At Disneyland, in addition to the spectacular nighttime parade and fireworks, guest will enjoy the daytime “Mickey’s Soundsational Parade” and the classic after-dark “Fantasmic!” show on the Rivers of America in Frontierland and New Orleans Square. Glistening diamond-themed décor adds extra sparkle to Sleeping Beauty Castle, while Anna and Elsa from the hit Disney animated feature “Frozen” appear in a playfully comic retelling of their story on the Fantasy Faire stage. Disneyland also features more than 60 rides and attractions, including Space Mountain, Pirates of the Caribbean and “it’s a small world,” to delight guests of all ages.

At Disney California Adventure, the new “World of Color – Celebrate!” show continues nightly throughout the summer along with the new “Mad T Party Diamond Celebration,” plus “Pixar Play Parade,” “Disney’s Aladdin – A Musical Spectacular” and all the favorite attractions throughout the park, including Radiator Springs Racers in Cars Land, the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror™** in Hollywood Land and the California Screamin’ roller coaster in Paradise Pier. The “Frozen” fun is extended at Anna & Elsa’s Royal Welcome, where guests have a chance to meet the sisters, who also make appearances in the “For the First Time in Forever” sing-along.

The “Diamond Celebration” stretches outside the gates of the theme parks, adding sparkle throughout the Downtown Disney District and the Disneyland Resort hotels. Creative Diamond Celebration merchandise and food items will complement the celebration, while surrounding streets in the Anaheim Resort Area will glisten with Diamond Celebration décor and festive banners in shades of Disneyland blue. Additional information about the Diamond Celebration will be shared in coming months at www.Disneyland.com/60 and www.DisneyParksBlog.com.

Edited by jedimaster1227

I'm not sure if I love or hate the fact they are milking the whole 24 hour operation event for everything they can, but it's cool they are using it to debut the new shows. I will personally not want to be anywhere near the madhouse this is sure to be...

The first one was pretty bad. Lots of things went wrong and DCA closed at 8pm. Parking lines were going onto the freeways and people waited nearly an hour to find parking. The last one was much better in all aspects. As well, the guests also learned to carpool and they didn't all arrive at the same time (which is what seemed to happen the first time). I've been to both parties so far and had a considerably better time at the second one. Parked at 5:30pm in the Toy Story lot, with normal lines of 5-10 cars. I think the third time is the charm here and this will go off pretty much as planned with few surprises or upset guests.

^I'll be curious to see how adding in the debut of the new shows impacts that. I'm guessing that will spark AP holders interest more than last years event. Though on the flip side, the new pricing has probably thinned the numbers out a bit too.

Adding all the new entertainment (and what ever else they could possibly announce for the 60th) might bring in more people (speaking specifically of this party. Obviously, these additions will bring lots and lots of new guests). But, the bottom two tiered passes are completely blocked out on the 22nd and 23rd. So there's a majority of APS right there that cant come which will really help I think.

I was at the park last year in the days leading up to the 24 hour event and the 24 hour event itself. While the 24 hour event day was definitely more crowded, crowds were fairly manageable and the park did a great job handling it.

I only hope that Disney doesn't underestimate the demand again like they did in the first year. Hopefully they continue to learn and improve the crowd control operation.

^That could end up being a doubled edged sword.

Management: "Hey we have more space now! Crowd flow should be better!"

Executive: "Great! Now we can let more people in!"

Sounds exactly like my school. We ran out of housing two years ago, so the school closed down an old dorm, built a larger one, and then admitted more students.

Park capacity is based on a guests ability to experience a certain number of attractions per day, not the physical public space withing the park. So, adding this corridor would not have this effect of allowing more people into the park.

Park capacity is based on a guests ability to experience a certain number of attractions per day, not the physical public space withing the park. So, adding this corridor would not have this effect of allowing more people into the park.

That doesn't stop Joey's scenario from playing out. If the new nighttime parade is considered a new attraction for purposes of increasing capacity, those new guest flow corridors become the perfect excuse for letting more people in.

Yes, a new parade is considered an attraction, and yes, anything can happen. I just don't think they will suddenly allow more people into the park just because they built overflow walkways. The walkways are only open during a very very short period of time when a parade is happening or fireworks. They aren't open all day long for people to walk through, only when something is blocking Main St. So as soon as they are closed, the situation your bring up of "increased capacity with more walk ways" goes away and park capacity goes back down. The walkways bypass all the shops on Main St, they will not be leaving them open just for the fun of it if they aren't needed.

^Well if the park is filled to capacity for an extended amount of time, those walkways will theoretically also be needed for an extended period of time.

My only point is that I hope Disney isn't resting on its laurels in preparing for this event.

Edited by Jew